Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Walked posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought this was a joke.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/impact-2017-03-29

:psyduck:

Just make a game full of demons and monsters and poo poo. gently caress the "story"

Jace posted:

This is not good. This is seriously, seriously, not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

A full-art card is just a regular magic art that takes up the whole card. I mean like, an Invocation Cryptic Command would be like four lines of hieroglyphs, one depicting each of the card's four modes, prefaced by another symbol or something that means 'choose any two'. They'd essentially be full-textbox cards but the text would be pictograms

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

well

It's certainly cryptic

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Walked posted:

Just make a game full of demons and monsters and poo poo. gently caress the "story"

its too bad the highlight of the story is jace being hit on by an eldritch demon, its never gonna be that good again

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
highlight of the new story focus i mean, obviously it was way cooler when urza made friggin mechs for whatever reason

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

I don't like all those jpg artifacts. Do you have anything lossless?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

is this loss

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

MaRo has also said that Planeswalkers are full-art cards. I think he even believes it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jace posted:

Again, I disagree. A counterspell is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a tapped, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

OfChristandMen posted:

Wow this magic story:

:lol: I thought this was fake. Looks like someone's a fan of David Wong, but can't do it himself without being extremely terrible.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Walked posted:

The idiots on reddit actually eat this up as good story writing

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You guys realize they're trying to write in the voice of the different characters right? And Chandra's not so good with similes?

Obviously it's still terrible but it's not accidental.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
(SCG) Pre-orders are up! http://www.starcitygames.com/content/previews

$399.99 for Invocation Force of Will :allears:

Posterity for when it inevitably drops

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

St0rmD posted:

MaRo has also said that Planeswalkers are full-art cards. I think he even believes it.

Planeswalker cards are technically full art, but the bottom half is covered in text over a translucent grey.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Gatewatch utterly destroys eldrazi titans but almost dies from zombies and a sand worm.....OK

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

The idiots on tumblr actually eat this up as good story writing

There too.

Also that's a good Cryptic

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gatewatch utterly destroys eldrazi titans but almost dies from zombies and a sand worm.....OK

did they try setting them on fire

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You guys realize they're trying to write in the voice of the different characters right? And Chandra's not so good with similes?

Obviously it's still terrible but it's not accidental.

This is true, although I don't think I could tell Nissa's and Jace's voice apart

E:

Hellsau posted:

did they try setting them on fire

yes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The idiots on reddit actually eat this up as good story writing

Not really.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

You know, normally when someone posts in here "people on Reddit are _________" I have to actually go look because 99% of the time it's complete bullshit, especially whenever someone says people on Reddit are making conspiracy theories about LSV's marriage and poo poo. Usually whatever topic it's about doesn't show up at all on the first one or two pages, and it's purely strawmanning about how Reddit users are ~so bad~.

But no, this time Reddit is actually full of people talking about how awesome this story article is. It's kind of a mixed reaction between "I can't believe their plan is just charging headfirst into the enemy," "why are they getting beaten by Zombies after killing two Eldrazi," and "this is really awesome." Almost no one has any actual complaints about the quality of the writing.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
lol you go on reddit

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Oh son of a bitch.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

You know, normally when someone posts in here "people on Reddit are _________" I have to actually go look because 99% of the time it's complete bullshit, especially whenever someone says people on Reddit are making conspiracy theories about LSV's marriage and poo poo. Usually whatever topic it's about doesn't show up at all on the first one or two pages, and it's purely strawmanning about how Reddit users are ~so bad~.

But no, this time Reddit is actually full of people talking about how awesome this story article is. It's kind of a mixed reaction between "I can't believe their plan is just charging headfirst into the enemy," "why are they getting beaten by Zombies after killing two Eldrazi," and "this is really awesome." Almost no one has any actual complaints about the quality of the writing.

They were deleting those threads, correctly, because apparently MagicTCG Reddit has mods that aren't terrible people.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:allears:

Every loving time.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Between the story, the invocation frames and current standard I can't work out if this is some kind of elaborate "Lets see how far we can push phoned in poo poo and see who still buys our product" or they've handed over creative control to a bunch of unpaid interns.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

They were deleting those threads, correctly, because apparently MagicTCG Reddit has mods that aren't terrible people.

no they're terrible people for sure

quote:

Also, posting Meandering Towershell as a spoiler every set have both achieved ultimate tired old meme status, and will be removed on sight.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Walked posted:

This is some quality writing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope the Ozymandias poem is buried (hehe) in the art and flavor text of some cards in the second set. I can see having to wait for a "Return to Amonkhet" block for it, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some lands

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Those are really nice lands. :swoon:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Even when the visual design of a set goes to poo poo (remember Dusk/Dawn?), we can always count on some pretty landscapes :unsmith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Minority Deport posted:

Even when the visual design of a set goes to poo poo (remember Dusk/Dawn?), we can always count on some pretty landscapes :unsmith:

Pushing the style on inserts is also great. If they had gone conservatively, it would've just been yet another typical foil. :yawn:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Eikre posted:

They should have written the card names and typelines like the Rosetta Stone. Use actual hieroglyphs to render the words phonetically, then write them in English using a psuedo-Demotic typeset, and then write it one more time translated into Koine Greek with half-sized print.

Also, there are some correct art opinions in this topic imho. I took thirty seconds in paint.net to explore the common sentiment that Invocations should have been illustrated with Dynastic frescos, and honestly it could have been loving great.

This is basically what I think they should have done. Plus getting rid of the stupid text; my 5 min. MS paint of your 5 min. MS paint:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Angry Grimace posted:

This is basically what I think they should have done. Plus getting rid of the stupid text; my 5 min. MS paint of your 5 min. MS paint:

I actually wouldn't be mad if it looked like that. Especially if the gold border was continuous around the card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

CompeAnansi posted:

I actually wouldn't be mad if it looked like that. Especially if the gold border was continuous around the card.

My lovely MS paint skills only go so far, although I would have brought the bottom gold part down to reach the edge of the card if I were designing it, and I also would probably use some kind of textured coloring on the turquoise parts (but that's way out of my skill set).

The idea should have been looking like a treasure you would have pulled from a Dynastic tomb, not like a bunch of seizure-Egypt poo poo with regular MTG art on it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 29, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Some lands

Those mountains and islands area really nice.

CompeAnansi posted:

But then they wouldn't be black-bordered! :v:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Holy poo poo :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Those mountains and islands area really nice.

But then they wouldn't be black-bordered! :v:

They're already not black bordered. They're "black bordered" in that they are counted as such.

• Locked thread