Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So no forced gymphana?

Will I have my rewind button back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Here's someone who went to the event and actually knows something about the game. Unfortunately he barely took any video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_iflGzQAA

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nicky Grist :swoon:

e: DirtFish :swoon:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 29, 2017

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
There's a pretty extensive Q&A on reddit with Paul Coleman. Things are sounding really good so far. https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/5rnuqk/im_paul_coleman_chief_games_designer_for_dirt_4/

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

MeatloafCat posted:

There's a pretty extensive Q&A on reddit with Paul Coleman. Things are sounding really good so far. https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/5rnuqk/im_paul_coleman_chief_games_designer_for_dirt_4/

Very excited about Dirt 4, it's sounding really sweet.

In other news I went go-karting yesterday and I couldn't help but drift around every corner. Dirt Rally has ruined any hopes of me being a track racer and I don't care, taking corners sideways in real life is so much loving fun.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I guess if you have infinite funds for tires. Sure.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Norns posted:

now you know why used tires businesses even exist

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Norns posted:

Eh it was an indoor track which was really smooth and shiny, it was practically impossible not to. Great fun though!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The indoor track near me has polished concrete and despite the "no drifting" rule they will dump talcum powder on all the corners if they see you getting too close to the lap record.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are they that protective of some record? Does some famous person who will never come back hold it?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Any kart track where a 12 year old 20kg kid doesn't hold the record is pretty much fraudulent anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Are they that protective of some record? Does some famous person who will never come back hold it?

I don't think they care, they can just see that you're good and want to take you down a peg.

The best times reset weekly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is it a K1 or just some other thing?

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
"Jump maybe" is not a warning. It's a challenge.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Can it be June yet ?

I reinstall dirty rally every couple weeks and smash a quick run through a long wales. I am already 9seconds off my PB :(

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Qmass posted:

Can it be June yet ?

I reinstall dirty rally every couple weeks and smash a quick run through a long wales. I am already 9seconds off my PB :(

Why are you uninstalling it to being with?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I sold my copy, I can't stand no rewind :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What happens in June?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dirt 4.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Speaking of Dirt 4, there are videos getting out now from YOUTUBE INFLUENCERS and Playstation's Youtube. The stage thrown up by the generator looks decent to drive, if a little by the numbers in terms of being forest section into plains section. The spotter prediction stuff in Rallycross for joker laps looks cool as well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Did they say anything about VR for Dirt 4?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Just replaced my Logitech g920 with a thrustmaster TX base, 599xx alcantara wheel, t3pa pro pedals, and th8a shifter. What an upgrade. The feedback is so much better and the wheel is much quieter. Dirt rally instead of being "knock knock rattle rattle <crash in game>" is now much easier to control "vroom vroom tire squeal <crash in game>"

I love it and suggest anyone who has the money or a credit card to grab the set.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Did they say anything about VR for Dirt 4?

Not happening, at least not at launch.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hate rallycross so so much. I've never mastered it no matter how much I try.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
joker laps are for spergs but its an interesting concept in an otherwise boring format

it's cool when you play against other ppl online but its so hard to find a match even when the game was fresh and active

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well actual rallycross is really cool but in this game I find there is always one driver in each round who is just insanely good.
Maybe when I progress to 4WD cards it gets better but for now I am having to scum my way past everyone.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

julian assflange posted:

but for now I am having to scum my way past everyone.

Just like real rallycross then

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol are we talking about online for this game because it's a complete joke

Not sure why they bothered

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No just the AI

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I just took a fateful look at DiRT Rally in the Playstation Store and saw there was a VR add-on (and bundle) so I thought I'd see if it was as good as I had heard in VR. Well, it turns out it was the game that made my VR rig worth the money. I loved it from the first moment. It has the standard PSVR issues of often calibrating too far to the left after a few races (maybe its a problem with my launch PSVR? It happens in all games from what I've seen) but the feeling of being IN a car is fantastic. So fantastic, in fact, that I bought a Logitech G29 wheel and pedals, a shifter and a Wheel Stand Pro. I'm pretty excited for this.

Some questions:

Does anyone know for sure if the simulation changes when you're playing in VR? I saw someone on youtube claiming it was the case but it is something I've never seen mentioned anywhere else and, from my limited experience, it didn't seem like there was any difference to me from a physics engine perspective --- definitely from a gameplay experience perspective.

Is anyone else playing it on PSVR? Any tips?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It looks awesome on PSVR and I wish I could justify the cost....

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the only change it would make would be between a controller and a wheel.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
So I have the Wheel Base Pro, G29, shifter and pedals all set up. My first runs were challenging but, as I get use to the clutch and gearing of each car, the runs get faster and faster. In fact, I got my first first place using a car that was giving me fits earlier. Smooth and steady racing is much easier with this setup.

The one question I have for you pros is -- how the heck do you use the parking brake when you have a wheel/shifter setup? Do you still use the wheel buttons? I am finding it devilishly hard to locate them when I'm in the middle of an acute turn sawing the wheel back and forth (AND with a VR setup). There seems to be no easy way to do it and I'm sure its affecting my times. How do you folks have that set up?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I reach down and pull my handbrake.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have handbrake bound to 4th gear on my shifter and an elastic band round it to pull it back. A tried and true G27 bodge job that I don't think you can do on a G29 shifter.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Alternately if you have a flight stick you can use that for one too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I am used to using a wheel button. You'll get used to it after a while. Or you can get a handbrake controller too, to fill out your sim rig.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I use the wheel buttons, but then i only use 200 degrees of wheel travel, so its never hard to locate.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

New trailer boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPGxOIXSAG4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, I just picked up DiRT Rally on the Humble Bundle monthly, it's installing now. Do you guys still do multiplayer or is this game dead to goons?

• Locked thread