Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

shogi girl should have been a party member

The best thing about Hifumi is her mom wanting her to be a gravure idol instead of a shogi player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Moltrey posted:

shogi girl should teach you actual shogi i wanna play

word

I also remember liking Yosuke's a lot, but I feel more likely to be wrong on that. Like I remember they actually made him a good dude put in a bad spot in his scenes, but also S. Link Yosuke and plot scene Yosuke were two completely different people

We're talking about him in the giantbomb thread. His writing is pretty on the nose for a lovely teenager.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

The best thing about Hifumi is her mom wanting her to be a gravure idol instead of a shogi player.

What a good mom

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Jimbot posted:

We're talking about him in the giantbomb thread. His writing is pretty on the nose for a lovely teenager.
that's true, but social link yosuke like, kinda has his poo poo together, feels actually somewhat mature where he realizes his faults and stands in his truth iirc and cutscene yosuke is like his dumb identical twin

also i love giant bomb, but i would not post in the giant bomb thread if gods themselves threatened to tear the world asunder if i did not

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yosuke's an insufferable little prick.

So yeah, if they're going for lovely teenager with him, they nailed it hard.

e:

Also it's confirmed that there's no MULTI5 language support here, so no French, Spanish or German text or whatever. Probably not a big issue if you're posting here, but if you know people who have really shaky English but want this, that's probably not good news for them.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 29, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Moltrey posted:

also i love giant bomb, but i would not post in the giant bomb thread if gods themselves threatened to tear the world asunder if i did not

The thread used to be in games and the mods banished it to a different forum cause they couldn't take all the reports so you're not alone here.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Endorph posted:

shogi girl should have been a party member

I think she was supposed to be at one point

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Moltrey posted:

that's true, but social link yosuke like, kinda has his poo poo together, feels actually somewhat mature where he realizes his faults and stands in his truth iirc and cutscene yosuke is like his dumb identical twin

Cutscene Yosuke tends to be with multiple other people while S-Link is one on one with the protag. I know a fuckton of people in real life who act more mature in one on one settings than when they're hamming it up for a group.

Teddy and Rise have a similar dynamic.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 29, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Giantbomb threads are bad. Giantbomb is good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Saint Freak posted:

The thread used to be in games and the mods banished it to a different forum cause they couldn't take all the reports so you're not alone here.
i used to lurk a bit when i found it, but i think it honestly started having a negative affect on my health, it was like i was poisoned . it truly confounds me how like everyone in there was so awful and hateful

Zore posted:

Cutscene Yosuke tends to be with multiple other people while S-Link is one on one with the protag. I know a fuckton of people in real life who act more mature in one on one settings than when they're hamming it up for a group.

Teddy and Rise have a similar dynamic.
This is a good point too, I feel like some part of it may be that a lot of his S. Link scenes take place at his work where he's a beleaguered middle manager and like, actively loathed by most of the employment. Also that the plot scenes can't account for S. Link character development either things return to the status quo by the end or development is just ignored

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yosuke was a skeeze in P4 but I think that was a combination of him being written as kind of brash and insensitive combined with the medium's generally juvenile views towards sexuality, especially at the time. Even now a lot of Japanese games can't resist using gay people as a punchline, etc etc

It was annoying how most of the spinoffs turned the cast into caricatures of themselves but for Yosuke it was hilarious because he spends his entire life silently screaming at how often he shoves his foot in his mouth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For people who've played P5: how is experience handled for party members not in your group? Do they also get experience or a portion of it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

For people who've played P5: how is experience handled for party members not in your group? Do they also get experience or a portion of it?

There is a dedicated social link which improves the experience they get. They get a portion and quickly begin to gain more as that link goes up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not naturally, you need to rank up Moon S. link if you want EXP to get spread amongst reserve members and it increases the rate as you increase that rank.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There is a dedicated social link which improves the experience they get. They get a portion and quickly begin to gain more as that link goes up.

Oh cool, I didn't know social links had bonuses like that. Clearly I haven't been paying attention. Guess I'll be keeping an eye out for the Moon link then because I'm probably going to want to use a variety of characters.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

How easy is it to max all the s.links without a guide? I'll probably use a guide for stats cause thats always a pain.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What carries over in NG+?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

How easy is it to max all the s.links without a guide? I'll probably use a guide for stats cause thats always a pain.

You probably won't max every single one without a guide but you'll get well along in everything without too much trouble.

Edit: Like straight up, playing the game blind, translating everything from Japanese, I still came extremely close to maxing everything. The super-optimal minmaxing to get everyone maxed out probably won't be that stressful but I'd recommend just playing the drat game.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yah I started doing the minmaxing nonsense my first time through P4 before realizing it was a terrible way to enjoy the game. I'll follow a guide to max out the stats and probably end up maxing everything else. If not then meh I'll skip whoever this version of the music one is

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm gonna actually try to do this totally blind because I almost always end up following a guide.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arbite posted:

What carries over in NG+?

Social stats, money, compendium, equipment, Persona unlocks from maxing Confidants, costumes

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Baal posted:

Social stats, money, compendium, equipment, Persona unlocks from maxing Confidants, costumes

I thought there weren't any costumes besides the DLC ones?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Baal write me a personal max social link guide where I get to kiss everyone

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Gonna play through blind and gently caress everything up so I have an excuse to play through again with a guide once all the DLC is out

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Infinity Gaia posted:

I thought there weren't any costumes besides the DLC ones?

I'm told that you can get their casual clothes at least.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Ai and Saki Konishi's bro were my fav S. Links in 4, i remember really liking them

This but also Hisano.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
P4 was better than P3 in many ways but holy hell were the S. Links one of the toppers.

I liked most of the P4 links outside of band class but wouldn't want to spend a short elevator ride with like half of the P3 ones. The old shopkeepers were sweet, though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
P4 still had some weird ones like Eri.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I can't remember any of the p3 links. Even when the class president showed up in p4 I couldn't remember what she was all about

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Can we talk about the Nurse? I liked the Nurse who gave handies on the down low while I did Janitor poo poo.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dryzen posted:

Baal write me a personal max social link guide where I get to kiss everyone

hang out with yusuke until you go into the screen and kiss him

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

slev posted:

I can't remember any of the p3 links. Even when the class president showed up in p4 I couldn't remember what she was all about

I remember uhhh, Hot for Teacher, Ball Handler, POVERTY ACE, Old Couple, DRUNK MONK, Depressing Cancer Man, Devil Announcer, Fat rear end in a top hat Kid, GAIJIN-KUN and Thicc Lips. Besides party members, of course.

Edit: Oh, and MMO Teacher.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tanaka was great. The nurse was also the devil link, right?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Keisuke_Hiraga

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

p4 had a lot of social links where you felt like this adult lady really wanted to gently caress the mc
i didn't play enough of p3 to know if its also present there someone tell me

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Not really? But the Nurse deffo did the nasty with the MC

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

p4 had a lot of social links where you felt like this adult lady really wanted to gently caress the mc
i didn't play enough of p3 to know if its also present there someone tell me

If that bothered you, p5 tripled the amount of adult lady relationships

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tae posted:

If that bothered you, p5 tripled the amount of adult lady relationships

Perfect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
You can date Ken as the FeMC in P3P.

Also in general P3 has you social link with way more hosed up people than P4. Also it only rewards you for enabling them so you feed into some self destructive poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i thought the P5 MC was like, a senior so it'd be less weird, but no the dude's like 16 so whatever

anyway Sun was the best P3 S. Link, hope you're in a better place dying man

literally who