Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Teek posted:

Very glad to read this, because the previews for those two scenes looked stilted and choppy as hell.

Did you see this in 2D or 3D? Seems like 3D might be worth it?

Currently at 68% on RT with 23 reviews in.

I saw it in IMAX 3D. The 3D is subtle. Done fine but not heavily utilized.

I'm gonna say the review aggregate prob won't change much. People will love the mood, images, and immersive world, or will be turned off by a story that goes flaccid at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Arranged to see this on Thursday night with a couple of friends, my only hope is that Scar Jos pretty face and the vibrant colourful cinematography counter the weak sounding storyline.

Incidentally ill be getting stoned out my face and going to an imax screen for the first time so its I'm kinda going all in for the visual spectacle.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Macarius Wrench posted:

Arranged to see this on Thursday night with a couple of friends, my only hope is that Scar Jos pretty face and the vibrant colourful cinematography counter the weak sounding storyline.

Incidentally ill be getting stoned out my face and going to an imax screen for the first time so its I'm kinda going all in for the visual spectacle.

Totally dude. I was gonna drop a fistful of oxycontin and snort some bath salts before my viewing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Another trailer; this one gives you the best idea of what the movie is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1OcuBObz4

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Battleship was dumb as hell and pretty as hell, kinda like a kojima movie where all the writing went into nice art.

Kojima's writing doesn't go into the nice art, it goes into 72 hours of exposition.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ufarn posted:

Best idea is still kind of far removed from the final product though. Advertising made some really weird choices with the whole campaign. Edit: whoops, I assumed that was the "final trailer" from Monday. This is much closer to the final film. Two small changes that I noticed, but still a lot less butchered than the previous promo material.

The goon who did those fan trailers probably got it best.

It's the next day and a bunch of the movies scenes are still coursing through my head. As flaccid as the writing was, the cast and director really took some bits to a higher level.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL I posted in the Atlanta subreddit that I had an extra pass and nobody has messaged me wanting it. RIP this movie, I smell a $20 million opening.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I was stuck in a cancer ward with Battleship, Avengers 1, and Hunger Games running pretty much non-stop on the in-hospital cable service. As a result Battleship has a sort of nostalgic value to me, and it isn't bad besides.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

I was stuck in a cancer ward with Battleship, Avengers 1, and Hunger Games running pretty much non-stop on the in-hospital cable service. As a result Battleship has a sort of nostalgic value to me, and it isn't bad besides.
They way they incorporated the game mechanics was loving brilliant.

The final act with the vets though, sheeeeeesh.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Bugblatter posted:

Best idea is still kind of far removed from the final product though.
If there's stuff cut out, there's only one thing i care to know: Does the actual movie show how she went from plummeting down a skyscraper to hovering in front of a window to dodging bullets being shot out of a window to gaining enough momentum from an apparent stand-still to smashing through that glass pane?

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
Waiting in the theater for a free screening that starts in an hour. Tried watching the 1995 anime last night and not even Tequila made it enjoyable. Boring rear end monologues and talking heads. This newly done action-fest appeals more to me than that garbage. Gimme action.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The building decent is as depicted in that clip. I guess she's so crazy acrobatic and terminator strong when on screen elsewhere that I didn't question that she could do it? The shells are pretty bullet/impact resistant.

FatalT posted:

Waiting in the theater for a free screening that starts in an hour. Tried watching the 1995 anime last night and not even Tequila made it enjoyable. Boring rear end monologues and talking heads. This newly done action-fest appeals more to me than that garbage. Gimme action.

Bad news buddy, this is closer to GitS95 in pace and style than any other incarnation.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

The building decent is as depicted in that clip. I guess she's so crazy acrobatic and terminator strong when on screen elsewhere that I didn't question that she could do it? The shells are pretty bullet/impact resistant.
It's less about what she can withstand and more about how she does it in the first place. I guess we're supposed to assume she hangs on some kind of invisible wire.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

ufarn posted:

The action sequence feels pretty meh but the visuals, like the cityspace do look pretty I suppose, it's got that Megacity feel like from the 1995 Judge Dredd movie.

Also why does Scarjo's Motoko understand Aramaki in japanese but still talks to him in english? And why aren't Aramaki's orders and remarks translated even? :confused:

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 30, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

The action sequence feels pretty meh but the visuals, like the cityspace do look pretty I suppose, it's got that Megacity feel like from the 1995 Judge Dredd movie.

Also why does Scarjo's Motoko understand Aramaki in japanese but still talks to him in english? And why aren't Aramaki's orders and remarks translated even? :confused:

They have really stylish subtitles in the actual film. No idea why they aren't in the clip. There's also a text card missing between scenes for some reason.

Everyone in the film is multilingual, then speak their own native languages but understand each other. Pretty accurate to how I operate, as a foreigner living in Asia, actually. Heh.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Junior Jr. posted:

Even in the GitS manga and anime, it's openly implied and explained that there exists translation software that is frankly black magic with its ability to perfectly translate nuance and slang into perfectly understandable and correct Whatever The User Prefers. In the GitS world, language flat out isn't a barrier any longer for anyone with a cyberbrain.

Mithaldu posted:

It's less about what she can withstand and more about how she does it in the first place. I guess we're supposed to assume she hangs on some kind of invisible wire.

Monofilament wire is used throughout the various depictions of GitS, though notably the 95 movie is a lot more 'low tech' in this regard. She's just using a really strong rappel cord that supports her 400+ pounds of military grade body to the point where the cable itself is barely strained, but what it's connected to bends pretty badly.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FatalT posted:

As much as i enjoy the animes, you're not wrong.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FatalT posted:

95 is not really a particularly great movie. Have you tired watching Stand Alone Complex? Its a solid show.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

All you fuckers badmouthing GitS95 are lucky there's an internet between you and my fists. :argh:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My attack barrier will fry your ghost if you try and cyber-fisticuff my internet cyber-brain :smug: 95 is pretty but poorly plotted.

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...

Bugblatter posted:

Bad news buddy, this is closer to GitS95 in pace and style than any other incarnation.

Good news friend, it was an action-packed and entertaining movie.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost in the Shell. After being bored out of my mind from the anime last night, having more action, less monologues and talking heads (but still a decent amount with the Puppet Master and Mira Killian's creator), just made it a more stream-lined and enjoyable experience. There were multiple scenes that were almost scene-for-scene from the anime which was super cool (the only good scenes, the action shenanigans) after watching the 1995 anime.

The movie is definitely an origin story for Major though, finding out who she was before her brain was implanted into the Shell. The Puppet Master is in the movie and plays a huge role but it's not so much about him and more about Mira and her past. You also get to see Batou get his badass eyes as well and the scene he gets them was pretty awesome.

Anime-fanatics and long-time followers of the multiple Ghost in the Shell manga/anime/whatever will hate it I'm sure because "MY WAIFU DOESN'T NEED A BACK STORY AND NEEDS TO BE MYSTERIOUS AND LEARNING ABOUT HER RUINS THE ALLURE" but they can all eat a dick. I hope this does well at the Box Office. Definitely enjoyed this one more than the free screening of "Life" last Wednesday. Also I didn't hear that dubstep theme remix garbage once throughout the whole movie. The soundtrack was actually fairly close to the anime.

Also yes, I'm calling her by her given name "Mira Killian" instead of "Motoko Kusanagi" on purpose. Watch the movie and you'll see why. It's actually quite touching/disturbing.

The Puppet Master plays a HUGE role in the movie. This SPOILER ruins the whole movie's plot and gently caress the boring rear end anime. I appreciated the origin story.

You learn that Hanka raided a little temple where young children were living in poverty to escape from technology and stole them away to perform experiments on them, torturing them and removing their brains to implant into shells to create a perfect soldier. The Puppet Master was a failed experiment and is out for revenge against Hanka, hacking and murdering everyone involved in his capture/experimentation. You later at the end of the movie find out that The Puppet Master and Motoko were lovers, stolen away from each other. The Puppet Master is killed at the end beside Mira/Motoko but tells her he will always be a part of her Ghost, so I'm assuming he assimilated into her when she deep dived the hacked geisha you see in the trailers so it still somewhat follows the anime where the Puppet Master combines with Motoko after the robot spider attack, which is also when he is killed in the new movie and this scene takes place.

I THINK The Puppet Master's name was Kuze but I forget now, who is apparently a major character in some other adaptation of Ghost in the Shell that I have zero interest in reading or watching because the 1995 anime was boring as poo poo.

I'd see it again for sure. Gorgeous set-pieces and very entertaining.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That's maybe sort of an unmarked spoiler, but yes Kuze and the Puppet Master are merged into a single character. If anyone is spoiling themselves Kuze is using a self built network of human minds (this is more an alternate reality than a future reality, the internet seems to work a bit differently/more like Shirow imagined) to transfer himself into a digital consciousness with Puppet Master abilities.

The backstory stuff I'm torn on, because on one hand the white washing is upsetting and making it part of the narrative feels weird, but on the other hand the scene where she visits her mother is pretty good, it reinforces the central theme of identity, and it's creepy in a good way.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it too. Maybe it's hit a middle ground where people who thought the original was too boring and people like me who love both it and this new one for its mood will both enjoy it?

I'm seeing it a second time with some other friends tonight. First time since Fury Road that I've gone to a movie twice in cinemas. I dunno that many people will react like me, but I can't get enough of this realization of that world.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FatalT posted:

I THINK The Puppet Master's name was Kuze but I forget now, who is apparently a major character in some other adaptation of Ghost in the Shell that I have zero interest in reading or watching because the 1995 anime was boring as poo poo.

GitS95 is pretty much the definition of acquired taste, in a medium where acquired taste is an entirely appropriate descriptor. I love it, personally, but it's a very ponderous work that is very much up its own conceptual rear end, and clashes in tone with the work that inspired it. It's a very easy movie to bounce off of, I've discovered over time. Either it's the sudden nudity right at the start, or the frequent slow pans over scenery while characters talk at eachother/the viewer. Some people I've watched it with REALLY hate the music.

I think you should give Stand Alone Complex a shot still, since I think it does better with its setting and its themes, while also having some pretty entertaining action now and then. It's the closest thing to a police procedural I've seen in anime, but it does its own unique GitSy things. It's also decidedly unrelated to the 95 movie or its direct sequel, so you can go into the series without worrying about that in any way whatsoever. It even provides a pretty interesting background story for not just the Major, but a number of the side characters.

Kuze appears in the second season of SAC. He's an interesting character, but that 'interesting' bit is probably overstated quite a bit by fanboys like me.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I enjoyed this live action greatest hits collection. I especially like that the chain-smoking researcher/coroner from Innocence made an appearance.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/axxiomm/status/846583688217415680

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Bugblatter posted:

All you fuckers badmouthing GitS95 are lucky there's an internet between you and my fists. :argh:

It's funny the extent to which the meme of GitS17 being "dumbed down"/streamlined clashes with the criticism that Oshii's films are too ponderous and conceptual. The happy median that everyone seems to agree upon is Stand Alone Complex, wherein kitten-voiced spider-bots literally just say, "Our aesthetics are reflections of what our creators find useful and desirable," and a comic subplot is built around this. Meanwhile, 2.0, Innocence, Arise, and even the original manga don't make the grade. It's like GitS fans don't actually like GitS,

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Good to see more positive reviews on this.

Trending more positive on RT too, up to 73% now.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Saw the movie a second time with a different set of friends. Def missed the 3D this time (that screen was sold out), but still very much enjoyed chilling in that universe again.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
According to Box Office Mojo, the film's budget is $110 million (which is weird because I thought it was $130 million). So according to RLM's logic, if this movie's going to break even it needs to make $220M, or surpass around $300M.

We'll have to wait for opening weekend if that is the case. Also given that it isn't mass marketed as current Marvel and DC films, it doesn't need to earn an extra hundred or two million.

Teek posted:

Good to see more positive reviews on this.

Trending more positive on RT too, up to 73% now.

That's funny, because now it has a 62 rating on Metacritic.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 30, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, I'm sure it'll fluctuate a bit as it rolls out with reviewers. RT is back down to 70% now.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Surely you mean 59%.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I got out a few hours ago.

It was solidly fine.

Production design was great for the most part. Very cool aesthetic. Some absolutely beautiful shots.

Narratively it feels like an iterative sci-fi story that doesn't trust its audience to piece certain parts together by itself.

It's competent and stylistically great but ultimately just makes me more excited about what Villeneuve is gonna do with Blade Runner.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

According to Box Office Mojo, the film's budget is $110 million (which is weird because I thought it was $130 million). So according to RLM's logic, if this movie's going to break even it needs to make $220M, or surpass around $300M.

We'll have to wait for opening weekend if that is the case. Also given that it isn't mass marketed as current Marvel and DC films, it doesn't need to earn an extra hundred or two million.

That's funny, because now it has a 62 rating on Metacritic.

Box Office Mojo is predicting that GITS will have a third place opening of $20+ million dollars, after Boss Baby and Beauty And The Beast. They do expect it to make about $35m opening weekend.

Also it's now fall in to 57% on RT, aka Rotten territory.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just as I expected, a very okay movie.
-
The worst part about it was they made another typical 'evil coroporation bad' story, but covered it up with GITS. Even though I haven't seen all of SAC, having Kuze being 'the puppet master' in this adaptation felt somewhat odd, especially near the end when they're supposedly a family together.

I was confused on how they dealt with the 'white washing', so they arrest a japanese girl, and change her whole body with western facial prosthetics to make her blend in with the natives of Neo Tokyo while working for Section 9? also according to her real mother, she was an 'anti-tech activist' pffft lol.

One scene I REALLY didn't get was the scene with the african human-synthetic prostitute(?), so Motoko gets a room with her then gets up close and touches her face...and that's it. the trailers implied she was possibly making out with her, but they removed that from the final cut. WHY was it even there to begin with? Was Motoko trying to discover what it's like to be human because she's just a cyborg, or did she have some fondness or fetish for human skin? It's never brought up again and didn't really progress her character arc. If that was supposed to be one of those artsy philosophical moments like the '95 film had, then that scene was utter poo poo!

How Batou got his eyes was also a joke, so him and Motoko head down to the strip club basement to find Kuze and it was a booby trap rigged with bombs, she takes most of the damage but apparently it also affected his eyes too...but how? Did the fire from the bombs burned off his retinas, did some shrapnel precisely hit him and made him blind? This was a poor explanation. Though the dialogue afterwards was slightly funny.

Speaking of Major and Batou, I was disappointed there wasn't more screen time between them, I got the feeling that they had more of a buddy cop relationship in the original film, but there's maybe two or three scenes where that kind of happens but done very short.

Then there's all the iconic shots they re-created, I'll admit the last shot of Motoko disappearing was alright, as was the water fight scene...only because it looks really pretty with all the droplets floating in the air in slow motion. The spider-tank scene however was both lame and disappointing, as if they threw it in as an afterthought and not really establish it.

I've said before that the visuals are nice and pretty, and they are in most parts, though the 'Megacity'-like buildings and billboards can get nauseating at times.

Final things to mention...I'm still annoyed that they didn't explain how everyone can understand each other in different languages instead of speaking the same language, even if that was previously explained in the GITS lore, I'd expect they'd briefly mention it just so that's established, other than 'they have advanced tech implants'. And no-one, not even Scarjo, can say "I wasn't built to dance" with a straight face.
-
I don't see myself buying or renting this, but if it shows up late night on TV I might kill some time with that.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 30, 2017

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Regarding black woman scene: It's a nod to the source material that just falls flat. In the manga she is a quite active lesbian, using both her hardware and her software. http://i.imgur.com/mA14giT.jpg

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Junior Jr. posted:

One scene I REALLY didn't get was the scene with the african human-synthetic prostitute(?), so Motoko gets a room with her then gets up close and touches her face...and that's it. the trailers implied she was possibly making out with her, but they removed that from the final cut. WHY was it even there to begin with? Was Motoko trying to discover what it's like to be human because she's just a cyborg, or did she have some fondness or fetish for human skin? It's never brought up again and didn't really progress her character arc. If that was supposed to be one of those artsy philosophical moments like the '95 film had, then that scene was utter poo poo!

How Batou got his eyes was also a joke, so him and Motoko head down to the strip club basement to find Kuze and it was a booby trap rigged with bombs, she takes most of the damage but apparently it also affected his eyes too...but how? Did the fire from the bombs burned off his retinas, did some shrapnel precisely hit him and made him blind? This was a poor explanation. Though the dialogue afterwards was slightly funny.

Final things to mention...I'm still annoyed that they didn't explain how everyone can understand each other in different languages instead of speaking the same language, even if that was previously explained in the GITS lore, I'd expect they'd briefly mention it just so that's established, other than 'they have advanced tech implants'.

Do you really need a sourcebook and some expository dialogue to explain "his eyes got hurt" or "they speak multiple languages" or the concept of hiring a prostiute for human contact rather than sex?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Mithaldu posted:

Regarding black woman scene: It's a nod to the source material that just falls flat. In the manga she is a quite active lesbian, using both her hardware and her software. http://i.imgur.com/mA14giT.jpg

Wasn't she actually bisexual? besides the lesbian e-sex in the uncensored manga, she supposedly does have a boyfriend/husband while she's on duty.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

the 'Megacity'-like buildings and billboards can get nauseating at times.

That's actually something i wonder about : Who would those 3d holograms be for? In several scenes I've seen they are both surrounded by buildings, but also bigger than any individual building, thus obscured from view from all angles but the sky. Yet most of the traffic visible still goes under them and so low at that that the holograms should be impossible to usefully see from any normal angle. Probably just overthinking it though and they didn't consider it further than "yeah, looks cool".

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

Do you really need a sourcebook and some expository dialogue to explain "his eyes got hurt" or "they speak multiple languages" or the concept of hiring a prostiute for human contact rather than sex?

Well this IS an adaptation and a story in its own merits. Even if the fans know what those are, a little exposition doesn't hurt to anyone new to the series. Again they're showing this to mass western audiences who aren't really familiar with the series unless they've seen the '95 movie or SAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Oops, yeah, you're right.

• Locked thread