Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

fridge corn posted:

It's too loving busy

Makes my eyes hurt

I think it looks cool but remember that JRPGs are several dozens of hundreds of hours long so that screen will come up a lot

I had that problem with the combat music in Persona 4, like, gently caress, maybe don't give your combat song lyrics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Homosexual

Homosexuality

Homosexual

It's Homosexual > Homosexula -> Homosexdyne please get it right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I think it looks cool but remember that JRPGs are several dozens of hundreds of hours long so that screen will come up a lot

I had that problem with the combat music in Persona 4, like, gently caress, maybe don't give your combat song lyrics

I never got tired of the P4 combat music :shrug: Same for P3. In fact, when the melody for P4's combat music comes up in the final boss theme it's awesome as hell

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The irreverent ~~rip and tear~~ cutscenes in the early parts of Doom were added extremely late into the game's development and even the developers were unsure about how they'd be received, that's probably why there's so few of them and they vanish only to be replaced by the HL2 style "locked in a room while someone talks" one(s).

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mordja posted:

You and Lurdiak need to get together, form the world's lamest duo.

I can see the headline. New SA barber shop quartet the "Well Actually's" praised for slightly sucking the fun out of your favorite game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if being the kind of person who likes nier:automata's writing makes you the kind of person who hates doom 2016's writing throw that bad game down the doody hole

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

if being the kind of person who likes nier:automata's writing makes you the kind of person who hates doom 2016's writing throw that bad game down the doody hole

Doom 2016's writing is weaker than the limbs of the enemies you splat, my dude

edit: And I mean, it's not like the game is really any worse off because of it because outside of parts where you have to not shoot stuff it's totally ignoreable, but it's still not good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have just transposed the script for the doom comic and gotten someone to read it out loud over the loading screens

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Doom 2016's writing is weaker than the limbs of the enemies you splat, my dude

edit: And I mean, it's not like the game is really any worse off because of it because outside of parts where you have to not shoot stuff it's totally ignoreable, but it's still not good

i think it's safe to say we have nothing to offer each other

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hate every time a game puts rear end in a top hat characters behind unbreakable glass because the designers know that the player wants to kill them but that would break the story, and you have to sit through their dumb monologues

I really, really appreciated that in New Vegas you could (eventually) kill anyone and everyone you encountered and the story was still viable all the way to the end

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcyphLQGPN4

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

Should have just transposed the script for the doom comic and gotten someone to read it out loud over the loading screens

they literally worked "rip and tear" into the opening cutscene my dude that's basically what they did

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
You get to kill the cult lady so there's that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

i think it's safe to say we have nothing to offer each other

For what it's worth I think the characterization of Doomguy is great and perfectly fits/grinds against the game's atmosphere and tone, but that's about the end of my praise :/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

they literally worked "rip and tear" into the opening cutscene my dude that's basically what they did

No other cutscene, that's the problem. The office robot can say the bit about how we're ruining the environment with toxic waste.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hate every time a game puts rear end in a top hat characters behind unbreakable glass because the designers know that the player wants to kill them but that would break the story, and you have to sit through their dumb monologues

I really, really appreciated that in New Vegas you could (eventually) kill anyone and everyone you encountered and the story was still viable all the way to the end

I think the happy, cheap medium would be Morrowind's method, which is that you can kill anyone, but killing an NPC important to the main quest pops up a message essentially saying "You hosed up, reload if you care about finishing the story". It's lazy but I like it better than bulletproof glass or "Quest Buddy has been knocked unconscious".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kai Tave posted:

My real problem with Metroid Fusion, besides probably-unfairly associating the whole Adam thing with leading to Other M, is that the Fusion Suit is ugly as gently caress.

The spritework of the game doesn't really do the design justice, it looks a lot better in the concept art. I appreciate that it pulses weirdly and all that, and I think it looks all right when it's teal and in the end when you finally get your Samus colors back, but the gravity suit and especially the varia suit are pretty ugly. Like they wanted this big moment at the end where you get the ice beam and recover your full power and turn orange again, but to do that they had to make the varia suit you get mid-game a different color than orange, and they went with psychedelic puke.

But yeah, in-game it's hard to argue that the SA-X doesn't look way better than you do.

bloodychill posted:

I can see the headline. New SA barber shop quartet the "Well Actually's" praised for slightly sucking the fun out of your favorite game.

You guys are mean.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I like the neon coloring of Fusion Samus, especially in Metroid Prime. Its good at highlighting how much of a different direction her design goes in after her suit becomes more organic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Something Awful: Every game is good, but it is also bad

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

ImpAtom posted:

It's a haiku ya dingus.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lets hang out posted:

i started playing rain world. it's really pretty and the slug cat is cute. the way it controls is a little awkward at first but it really effectively gets across the desperate feeling of prey scrambling from a predator. here's gifs i found

I like the idea of this, but in execution it reminds me of Limbo, another game I thought was cool at first glance but was completely miserable poo poo to actually play.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

You guys are mean.

Hey, I'll be your third for songs about how bad MMO's are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's a haiku ya dingus.

A haiku it is
You see that was not the point
It was all a joke

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lakbay posted:

only as a heterosexual male teenager

think some reviews were complaining about tasteless "no-homo" jokes as well

Monkey Paw Wish for 2017 games. That game released in 2017 you were hoping would be good turns out to be so but it has a problematic joke that maybe perhaps shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Just wait until Super Mario Odyssey. It'll be awesome but then there will be that one boss battle in New Donk City against Birdo on Broadway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Not a Children posted:

I was late to this part of the convo but this is 100% unmitigated truth

I tried SO HARD to like that drat game, if only because Lufia 2 is easily a top 5 SNES RPG

I played Lufia 1 when it first came out and liked it well enough as one of the many SNES jRPGs that came in the wake of FF2.
If you played Lufia 2 first, though, then yeah forget about it. I haven't played it since then and I can't imagine it would be that enjoyable outside of that couple-of-years bubble in the '90s. Not that any of the Lufia games after 2 were worth playing either.

oddium posted:

i'm glad people are finally admitting that fusion is good

I liked Fusion better than Zero Mission, personally.
Metroid 1 and Zero Mission I feel are such different games in nearly every way that there's not really a point in comparing them. M1 has a lot of first gen NES Nintendo Hard bullshit, but it becomes kind of trivial when you get the Varia Suit and the Ice Beam. And one point it has in its favor over ZM is that ZM doesn't let you experience the rush of telling your second grade class that Samus is really a girl.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 29, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lufia 1 is basically an NES RPG on the Snes. It's very standard in a lot of what it does, and it doesn't make great use of the SNES' abilities. It's not terrible or broken or anything, but you have to really like JRPGs to bother playing through it.

Lufia 2 was not only a much better-looking and sounding game with more interesting combat mechanics, it also had really interesting departures from the bog-standard dragon quest/final fantasy mold of the time, most notably the dungeons where you can see the enemies and they don't move until you do. It's also got some pretty good writing to boot.

Man now I'm thinking about Lufia 4 and I'm sad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Monkey Paw Wish for 2017 games. That game released in 2017 you were hoping would be good turns out to be so but it has a problematic joke that maybe perhaps shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Just because it's wrong to say "No homo", which it is, doesn't mean that it isn't said regularly by heterosexual teenage/college-age boys and the forms of entertainment that are reflecting those people won't follow suite.

I know people in their 30's that still use it regularly in conversation.

quote:

Just wait until Super Mario Odyssey. It'll be awesome but then there will be that one boss battle in New Donk City against Birdo on Broadway.

I don't see the problem here

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

That's a terrible haiku

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Lufia 1 is basically an NES RPG on the Snes. It's very standard in a lot of what it does, and it doesn't make great use of the SNES' abilities. It's not terrible or broken or anything, but you have to really like JRPGs to bother playing through it.

It had pretty good music, at least. Or at least it was good in my memories, and I'll probably just keep it that way.

Lurdiak posted:

Sequel hooks are stupid anyway, like 99% of the time the sequel doesn't even really follow the hook. If your thing is good, people will buy the sequel regardless of the hook.

The way Bravely Second followed up the sequel hook in Bravely Default is the most disappointed I've been at a video game in a long time.

Franchescanado posted:

Just because it's wrong to say "No homo", which it is, doesn't mean that it isn't said regularly by heterosexual teenage/college-age boys and the forms of entertainment that are reflecting those people won't follow suite.

I know people in their 30's that still use it regularly in conversation.

Maybe they're just nihilists who are expressing their opinion that Homo sapiens should go extinct
Did you think about that, huh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Sinistrals are one of the coolest villains in all of video games to me, so you gotta give the original game props for coming up with that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was going to say that MGS1 has one of the best rogues' galleries of any game, but I actually think Revengeance tops it, mainly because each of them has a :rock: theme song

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'm late to the haiku party but I had this one ready to go last night and didn't post it:

Dark Souls 3 is good
Dark Souls 2 is not so much
Sixteen page derail

Thank you for your time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm legit glad I caused a haiku derail they were all very cool and good

even though I still can't get Death Road to Canada to run because the problem is the version of Microsoft Visual C++ is apparently insanely hard to get working because a ton of people have had the exact same problems I'm having :mad:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

doom 2016 has among the most compelling and well-written characterization and story i have ever encountered in An Videogame

are you insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I still don't see what's so great about half-life 2, except for starting a bunch of really annoying trends in FPSes like the thing where you're slowly led down corridors while people talk to you instead of being allowed to shoot at things.

I agree with Lurdiak about something

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Half-Life 2 was notable for having an interactive physics engine, something Rocket Robot on Wheels did better

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

precision posted:

even though I still can't get Death Road to Canada to run because the problem is the version of Microsoft Visual C++ is apparently insanely hard to get working because a ton of people have had the exact same problems I'm having :mad:

Have you had any other games with that problem on Steam (I'm assuming). It started with the rerelease of Skyrim. I thought it was just "lol Bethesda" but then it did the same on Resident Evil 7. I just hit cancel on the errors and the games load up fine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Half-Life 2 was notable for having an interactive physics engine, something Rocket Robot on Wheels did better

The best game using the Source Engine is Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

precision posted:

I feel your pain because I've literally never been able to get Darkest Dungeon, an entirely 2D game using simple sprite animations, to run on a computer capable of running vastly more complex games with no hassle whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yo, thanks for the warning pages back about the new Nier having violence against robots. My friend was excited for it because she heard it had cute robots in it, and having to hurt them would've upset her. You saved her money and grief.

• Locked thread