Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

This is basically what I think they should have done. Plus getting rid of the stupid text; my 5 min. MS paint of your 5 min. MS paint:

Add some colored mana symbols (in the same desaturated/painterly blue as the other blues on the card), and maybe use the same font in the name and typeline as in the textbox (seriously, it looks Egyptian enough) and I think we're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dear WotC,
Please don't be disrespectful to the game. You might not care, but others do.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rinkles posted:

Some lands

A good island

Gonna get me about 20 of 'em

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Dear WotC,
Please don't be disrespectful to the game. You might not care, but others do.

:perfect:

Someone tweet this plz

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i dont see horns in any of the art so i declare them good

also that forest is super pretty, even tho its not really a forest so much as an outcropping

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mandatory lesbian posted:

i dont see horns in any of the art so i declare them good

also that forest is super pretty, even tho its not really a forest so much as an outcropping

Yeah I like that one too but that art could just be a Plains

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I have to admit that I'm a little bit tilted, since 'awesome not-Egypt block' has been on my Magical wishlist since basically the early 00s, and now that it's here, almost 90% of what I've seen so far feels like Aaron Forsythe leaving a bag of flaming dog jackal poo poo on my doorstep.

I acknowledge that the crimes against visual design that are Dawn/Dusk and the Invocations aren't necessarily representative of the quality of the set as a whole, but still

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JerryLee posted:

I have to admit that I'm a little bit tilted, since 'awesome not-Egypt block' has been on my Magical wishlist since basically the early 00s, and now that it's here, almost 90% of what I've seen so far feels like Aaron Forsythe leaving a bag of flaming dog jackal poo poo on my doorstep.

I acknowledge that the crimes against visual design that are Dawn/Dusk and the Invocations aren't necessarily representative of the quality of the set as a whole, but still

Idk, at the very least I'm hype for cycling. There's a lot of reason for pessimism, but wait until we see some more cards before getting overly gloomy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
y'all this looks sick

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/847170350232293376

its the only one that really works because the art isn't overly digital but drat, it works

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

y'all this looks sick

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/847170350232293376

its the only one that really works because the art isn't overly digital but drat, it works

Old frame Return to Dominaria masterpieces are gonna be sweet.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

At least the art on some of the spoiled limited filler cards looks solid so far, the theme will hopefully work out well other than these things.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Old frame Return to Dominaria masterpieces are gonna be sweet.

it would be sweet but you have to be careful about who does the art or you'll end up with something like this

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/847153989531713537

which is better then the new chain lightning would look but still doesn't really fit imo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it would be sweet but you have to be careful about who does the art or you'll end up with something like this

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/847153989531713537

which is better then the new chain lightning would look but still doesn't really fit imo

Hah, that's from the same artist as the Mind Twist (it's bad though)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/847141320389005312

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well that's only a year+ old. No reason for that to have been fixed by now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
does this make it playable tho

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

does this make it playable tho

It's a card that costs 12 and instantly wins you the game, but if you play against a streamer while a WotC employee is watching you'll get banned.

Rinkles posted:

Hah, that's from the same artist as the Mind Twist (it's bad though)

That's the weird part, Igor Kieryluk isn't a bad artist. He's done some great stuff, including some of the most iconic art in modern Magic:

but he's also done this poo poo which is iconic for the opposite reason:

so I dunno if it's intentional art direction or the artist just being sloppy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm willing to give him benefit of the doubt with vindicate and pulse, that they had a lousy over specific art direction, while mind twist was left to be a bit more free to interpretation

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hellsau posted:

None of those stand out as being especially terrible, just kind of forgettable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Have Kieryluk do legendaries and your golden, but I think the Theros cards are fine, no sense being flashy on commons and uncommons.

Rinkles posted:

Idk, at the very least I'm hype for cycling. There's a lot of reason for pessimism, but wait until we see some more cards before getting overly gloomy.

I really like what Ive seen of the actual set itself. Cycling is cool, and the non-flashback keywords sound like fun. Plus great setting and art so far.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Shortest Path posted:

At least the art on some of the spoiled limited filler cards looks solid so far, the theme will hopefully work out well other than these things.

I thought we hadn't seen anything yet except a bunch of mostly-reprints from the Planeswalker decks that may or may not (and probably mostly won't) be in the actual set.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Entropic posted:

I thought we hadn't seen anything yet except a bunch of mostly-reprints from the Planeswalker decks that may or may not (and probably mostly won't) be in the actual set.

All of those cards are in the Welcome decks and will be in the set (though not in boosters).

Also all cards in the planeswalker decks are standard legal

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Well that's only a year+ old. No reason for that to have been fixed by now.

Yeah this bug is incredibly old and was around the last few times RoE flashback drafts were available. And yes, you could abuse it in draft and try to build your deck around it if you got a Spawnsire early.

Actually take a look at the Gatherer page for it: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=spawnsire+of+ulamog

I bet MODO runs the exact same code that causes this bug to happen as Gatherer.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A big flaming stink posted:

All of those cards are in the Welcome decks and will be in the set (though not in boosters).

Also all cards in the planeswalker decks are standard legal

They're standard legal, but it's kind of irrelevant how good they are as "limited fodder" if they're not in packs.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Entropic posted:

They're standard legal, but it's kind of irrelevant how good they are as "limited fodder" if they're not in packs.

fling tho

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Hellsau posted:

It's a card that costs 12 and instantly wins you the game, but if you play against a streamer while a WotC employee is watching you'll get banned.

That's the weird part, Igor Kieryluk isn't a bad artist. He's done some great stuff, including some of the most iconic art in modern Magic:

Those aren't terrible, they just aren't great.

It could just be that he's really strong at character art and not great at battle scenes/depicting action. That's not uncommon. Doing good battle scenes, especially readable ones in that small an area, is really hard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hate spoiler season cause it's all about the flashy rares for Standard, when I just wanna see what the best draft pick commons are.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheChirurgeon posted:

Those aren't terrible, they just aren't great.

It could just be that he's really strong at character art and not great at battle scenes/depicting action. That's not uncommon. Doing good battle scenes, especially readable ones in that small an area, is really hard.

They look like he set up a 3d scene to use as a baseline, and then forgot/ran out of time to do the actual artwork and just submitted the 3d render instead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why is embalm sorcery speed? Is it just the old don't want feelbads for getting got with "onboard" abilities?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

odiv posted:

Why is embalm sorcery speed? Is it just the old don't want feelbads for getting got with "onboard" abilities?

giving flash to every creature with it would be too strong cause all the answers are sorcery speed, cause instant speed removal is bad

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
for real tho, every creature is actually two creatures, i don't mind sorcery speed only activation as a cost for that utility

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

odiv posted:

I don't think they would ever give this ability at instant speed anyway, unless all the zombies couldn't block as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

odiv posted:

EOT setup and there's a lot of abilities to try and remember for combat tricks, yeah?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

odiv posted:

Because it's flashback for creatures and creatures are sorcery speed

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

odiv posted:

yea anything interesting is sorcery speed these days at least at common.

makes sense I guess so you don't have to ask "any embalm creatures in your graveyard?" every time you want to attack

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I hope they do something that's a solid fatty with a somewhat overpriced mana cost, but a really low embalm cost.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

I hope they do something that's a solid fatty with a somewhat overpriced mana cost, but a really low embalm cost.

Like a creature Roar of the Wurm

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

So far the only good part of this set, art wise, are the lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jabor posted:

i feel like they would never do that because it would "confuse newer players" or some dumb bullshit

• Locked thread