Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
If the relaunch means everything is reset, even timed exclusives from days past and I get another chance at the horse head...GOTY.

If not...eh, I'll still play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

For real though

Why reboot TSW and not Anarchy?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Capntastic posted:

For real though

I wish I knew. My only guess is that Anarchy just doesn't pull in enough numbers to justify expense anymore. It's sad its basically on maintenance mode now, but such is the way of things.

I'm cautiously optimistic about trying the rebooted TSW. Will be interesting to see more info, though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I just hope they let us carry over some titles so I don't have to do the floor is lava challenge again.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They're revamping combat to be more action-oriented, reducing the number of players that can be in the same zone.

It's the same engine, it is not being ported to Unreal. The same old, broken, buggy engine whose original developers have left.

That's really all you need to know.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Capntastic posted:

For real though

How much money do you need to pour into AO to make it look like it was released this century?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hypocrisy posted:

I just hope they let us carry over some titles so I don't have to do the floor is lava challenge again.

Nope. Only titles and cosmetics bought with cash money are getting transferred.

It has not been clarified if this includes whatever was in the bags you bought for up to 960 FC points apiece.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tallgeese posted:

Nope. Only titles and cosmetics bought with cash money are getting transferred.

It has not been clarified if this includes whatever was in the bags you bought for up to 960 FC points apiece.
Where are you getting this info from? I can't find anything but vague buzzword patter about it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Pilchenstein posted:

Where are you getting this info from? I can't find anything but vague buzzword patter about it.

Odonoptera, the community manager guy posted:

Hey all, there's been a lot of talk about this topic, and we know it's an important one for many people. Our goal is to copy all vanity items that were purchased with money; including item store purchases, membership rewards, items of the month, and such. This should also include titles, mounts, and pets. An item being character-specific or account-wide doesn't impact if it will be eligible to be copied over. As we approach the launch (not beta launch, the launch launch) we'll go into details on what exactly will copy over between games if you choose to move over to Secret World Legends.

Hope this helps!

As for the engine... it's on Twitter but it's not loading at the moment.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

The only people who are unambiguously excited are those who never really got into the game proper. Funny that.

I'm trying to remain vaguely optimistic (and I can see some potential upsides), but the lack of specifics and FunCom's track record give much reason for concern as well. When I hear things like "shared world action RPG" and "revamped combat and progression systems", I get nervous. Those are broad changes to how the game functions, and I worry that they'll throw the baby out with the bathwater in the process.

The greatest enduring myth about TSW is that its combat and progression systems suck. They don't, although they are introduced and explained very poorly, so those systems end up not "clicking" for a lot of people who try the game.

Other than AEGIS, that is... if they relaunch the game and somehow keep that clunker of a system, then they are truly clueless.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Amante posted:

The greatest enduring myth about TSW is that its combat and progression systems suck. They don't, although they are introduced and explained very poorly, so those systems end up not "clicking" for a lot of people who try the game.

Wait, hang on, with how the community complains about aegi--

Amante posted:

Other than AEGIS, that is... if they relaunch the game and somehow keep that clunker of a system in then they are truly clueless.

oh there we go

no I agree, I really enjoyed the combat and the progression, but maaan are augments underexplained (you need to have a bunch of copies of lower-level aguments to use them? or something???) and came along with the scenario system that the whole community hated so much I never even really got the chance to try them, not being good enough to solo em

but I quite liked bullion and MoPs once they finally shifted over to that system. it was more the lack of content that kept me from investing--not that interested in raids, especially cause of their Onyxia-style brevity, and playing the manufactories once or twice was enough for me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The best part of the game is its writing and its missions and if they keep all that while turning the combat/progression from 'things to get used to or overcome' to 'things that are easy to grasp/use and work well with the rest of the game' then we'll be in a great spot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I quit playing because Aegis was dumb

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi posted:

The best part of the game is its writing and its missions and if they keep all that while turning the combat/progression from 'things to get used to or overcome' to 'things that are easy to grasp/use and work well with the rest of the game' then we'll be in a great spot.

This.

My first thought was "oh no my character I spent all that time getting to 10.4 / 10.5 and the filled ability wheel OMG nooo".

Then realised that if they completely rework all combat & skills to something better, update the visuals to something modern and let me port over my vanity stuff then... I'm totally ok with it.
Also I'll add my voice to the "gently caress aegis" crowd.

Hopefully we get combat & graphics more similar to the Conan survival game. I mean I can dream right?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DancingShade posted:

Hopefully we get combat & graphics more similar to the Conan survival game. I mean I can dream right?

Conan ran on UE4. This is keeping the same old Dreamworks engine.

They are supposedly basing the new combat off of the reticule mode you get if you press T.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I'm on the side of not wanting to lose my stuff. My precious stuff! I spent thousands of hours shopping to get just the right color shirt to go with my trendy jacket.

I get that they want that new game smell and everything to attract some new blood, but the idea of starting over on a separate server makes me less excited for this. The trailer looks exactly like the first 5 minutes for the original game and the graphics don't look significantly improved. I'm failing to feel that it's going to be different in any way yet. I would love to see this game with a new engine and modern graphics a long with improved mechanics and story, but that's too much to ask I guess. I know they've been doing a lot to try to make the game more appealing to new players, so maybe this is just the next logical step - A relaunch with all the stuff they should have had 5 years ago.

I hope they take this opportunity to reduce the amount of trash mobs in the open world at least. When I first started, it would have been nice to explore a new area and enjoy the creepy atmosphere without being swarmed every 5 seconds.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 30, 2017

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but it reads like the old game is dead and the new version is the only one that will get updated moving forwards?

So if I want to experience new content I'll have to run through the game and grind out all the gear I need again to see new stories?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kegslayer posted:

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but it reads like the old game is dead and the new version is the only one that will get updated moving forwards?

So if I want to experience new content I'll have to run through the game and grind out all the gear I need again to see new stories?

That is correct.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

Yes... But it might be so different that you won't mind it. Your old progression might not make sense anymore.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's all going to be the same mobs, missions, etc.

The main differences are going to be in itemization, character progression, and (supposedly) the way combat is conducted.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tallgeese posted:

It's all going to be the same mobs, missions, etc.

The main differences are going to be in itemization, character progression, and (supposedly) the way combat is conducted.

Yeah there are no ways to un-gently caress those things without a complete do-over, which we're getting. And with our vanity stuff carrying over that's a fair price I reckon.

It's better than the alternative which is "maintenance mode eternal", which is still technically an option for anyone who doesn't want to make the leap.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem is that it's not certain what vanity stuff is being transferred.

All we know right now is that it's "all cash shop items".

We do not know if that includes the items that were in RNG bags purchased from the cash shop.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/29/exclusive-interview-funcom-on-the-secret-world-legends-reboot-and-the-end-of-updates-for-the-secret-world/

Little bit of a Q&A with some small clarifications. Original TSW is full on maintenance mode, main story missions are doable with friends, general improvements to "many missions and story flow." First part of season 2 story is later this year.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Isn't the reticle mode from the main game really, really clunky?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kessel posted:

Isn't the reticle mode from the main game really, really clunky?

Amazingly so, yes, but it was supposedly what Conan: Exiles combat was based off of so they seem to think they can make something of it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Abroham Lincoln posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/29/exclusive-interview-funcom-on-the-secret-world-legends-reboot-and-the-end-of-updates-for-the-secret-world/

Little bit of a Q&A with some small clarifications. Original TSW is full on maintenance mode, main story missions are doable with friends, general improvements to "many missions and story flow." First part of season 2 story is later this year.

Important change: character levels are going to be a thing.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

DancingShade posted:

Well they basically were in the original, you just had to work them out for yourself by averaging all your gear levels.

Edit: has any news site asked them the most important question yet? Will sabotage missions be less arse? :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 30, 2017

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
Yeah, the original skill system was basically levels in disguise. Instead of having one level you had five seperate ones which was all kinds of confusing for some people. I'm hoping the one consolidated level is just replacing that, which would be an actual good change, rather than replacing the ability wheel which wouldn't be.

Also yes, death to the AEGIS system.

I'm mostly hoping that while they're upgrading things they might also be taking the time to put any effort at all into optimising the game so it isn't just as much of a buggy and laggy pile of poo poo as it's always been. But it's Funcom so... probably not.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be down for more Dreamfall references in future Secret World content. I'm not sure I can wait another 10 years for the next one.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

DancingShade posted:

Imagine if they get rid of the wheel system and instead you gain abilities when you level. And that you can't change your "class" on the fly (Tank, DPS or Heals)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A certain degree of buttmad :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/62dhmc/the_secret_world_marches_onwards_but_may_leave/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Haha this is fun.

quote:

And people were grinding new gear and weapons of course to be ready for new, more difficult content. In fact in the light of the announcement that the game would get a major update people stocked up on a lot of things to be ready to jump in full swing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Funcom is doing basically what I always wished Blizzard would have done with WoW. There's something magical about that start-up period in an mmo where everyone is running around and doesn't know what the gently caress. Pvp is anarchy and hilariously unbalanced. There's a sense of discovery, instead of pressure to burn through content to get to whatever's new and shiny.

In the back of my head, I knew it would probably never happen because the long-time whales would hate it and the playerbase could fracture. And yet, here we are! :haw: I'm excited for it but uh, my sympathies to people who stuck with TSW all this time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Fruits of the sea posted:

my sympathies to people who stuck with TSW all this time.
Why? It's not like the fun I've had playing it didn't happen.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Pilchenstein posted:

Why? It's not like the fun I've had playing it didn't happen.

I'm actually more excited now than I was before just because now I can get friends to do the paywalled content with me instead of me streaming it or w/e because they aren't a horrible human being (grandmaster) like me who gets all the content for making one terrible decision. Also it makes that decision less terrible. Also now I can actually do tokyo and I'll never have to have hosed with Aegis to see it all, which is a massive plus.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm actually more excited now than I was before just because now I can get friends to do the paywalled content with me instead of me streaming it or w/e because they aren't a horrible human being (grandmaster) like me who gets all the content for making one terrible decision. Also it makes that decision less terrible. Also now I can actually do tokyo and I'll never have to have hosed with Aegis to see it all, which is a massive plus.
I actually really regret not going grandmaster - I feel like this is the one game I've enjoyed enough that it would have been worth it. :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

I bought the grandmaster thing back before the game came out and never regretted it. Whenever I come back there is always something cool, and I got all the additional story stuff for free.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I really hope this makes the gameplay better-- if so, it's the excuse to replay the story I've been looking for for a long time. But the combat was always such a slog, especially from Tokyo onwards.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Right there with you. I hated AEGIS so much when it first came out that I put the game down and haven't gone back to it. I understand that they've made it less terrible but with the relaunch coming I'm definitely not going to be bothering to finish it now.

On the bright side, everything past the initial area of Tokyo will be new to me when they do get that content out in the relaunch :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly AEGIS was simple with an autoswapper and, unfortunately, foreknowledge.

In other words, it was bad.

• Locked thread