Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

That thread title change was fast. He says 'gently caress me' though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

attackmole posted:

I think there was an article a while back about some advanced fitness metrics that they tested on Harden. Apparently he was by and large completely average by NBA standards, with one exception -- he could decelerate faster than anyone they had ever tested. I thought that was kinda nifty. Explains why some of his herky jerk moves and suddenly stopping to bait fouls is so effective.

turns out the sugar in root beer fine-tunes the dynamic viscosity and decreases inertia

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dokmo posted:

Harden doesn't fit into any of the standard templates for superstars. He's not preternaturally athletic. He is tough, but not notably so. He doesn't have a lot of endurance, he doesn't give 100%,, he doesn't always focus on what is happening. Nobody calls superstars "crafty", even white guys, but the thing that makes him special is absolutely his intelligence. We don't have a template for a thinking man's superstar, or a way of talking about them aside from "he's good but I don't like him."

I have heard people call Chris Paul and Jason Kidd crafty during their primes.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Ringer is full of silly poo poo, but fun silly poo poo like this:

https://theringer.com/the-nba-personality-quiz-f7bb371810d4

James Harden, much like he revolutionized breakfast, is a revolutionary superstar. he's his own archetype, a chimera of sorts

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

there was one time in his first year coaching where kidd was out of timeouts so he spilled a drink all over the court to stop play for a few minutes, that was pretty crafty

e: i think ginobili is the craftiest player i can think of right now

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 29, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
James Harden is essentially a personified csv sheet full of advanced basketball stats that someone ran through SPSS and it printed a human

He's amazing but I hate to watch him because he's always pulling some gently caress poo poo on my favorite team

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I'm of the mind that if your man is legally guarding you and you decide now is a good time to try to ram through his arm to put up a shot you should have to live with your lovely shot rather than get freethrows.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

James Harden is a piece of poo poo and the third year of Lance's contract is a player option

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Related to James Harden being the greatest/worst guy ever, he's easily going to pass Hakeem on the all-time Rockets assists list before the end of the season. Then it's just Allen Leavell and Calvin Murphy.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bashez posted:

I'm of the mind that if your man is legally guarding you and you decide now is a good time to try to ram through his arm to put up a shot you should have to live with your lovely shot rather than get freethrows.

But ball don't lie

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

James Harden is a piece of poo poo and the third year of Lance's contract is a player option

I read it was a team option.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a team option and the third year is not guaranteed.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Watching harden is like watching a beautiful interpretive dance. The 0/2 fg 22/24 ft games :discourse:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

yeah manu ginobli was absolutely similarly intelligent, whether or not he was a *star* is a matter of conceptualizing *star*

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is there a way to track which are the highest assist combos? (For example, how many Rubio assists to Towns)

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
It's gonna be interesting to see how they call Harden's 3-pt fouls in the playoffs. It's been a huge part of his game this year since defenders have gotten more timid fighting over high screens, as dokmo expertly pointed out.

Of course, since GS has remembered how to win without Durant and they're going to get him back anyway, it looks like we're back on track for "Lol GS wins" throughout the playoffs no matter what.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
the Root Beer Barrel does that stupid foul baiting "shot attempt" all the time and he's an incredible player and i hate him and he sucks

he's got Bird(Jokic?) brain in terms of decision making speed. although being an extremely good anticipator means you don't actually have to make the split second decision, you already made it before the guy even got there

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Harden is a fun player to watch when he is firing on all cylinders. He'll score the most quiet 40 points you'll ever see. That being said I had to turn off a couple of games from the Rockets-Clippers playoff series from 2 years ago because the 10 million free throw attempts per game was completely unwatchable to me.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought it was well established Harden's beard gives him magic basketball powers

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

yeah manu ginobli was absolutely similarly intelligent, whether or not he was a *star* is a matter of conceptualizing *star*

he's finally eclipsed ginobili this year in terms of stupid rear end turnovers and turnovers that happen because his teammates can't see the openings he does

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Harden is Steve Kerr with a good first step.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I thought it was well established Harden's beard gives him magic basketball powers

We need to recruit a Kardashian to Delilah his face.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

Here's what it looks like
https://streamable.com/8yowi

A knightman with 360° field of view and zoom/enhance binoculars would be very popular.

Libertine posted:

Looking at the horror show that is the EC Standings, it's extremely strange to me that Charlotte is tied for 5th in point-differential at (0.7) which is sad, yet somehow they are 8 games under .500 and in 11th place in the conference, which is even worse.

Atlanta having a -1.3 MOV (and -1.6 SRS) and being 38-36 is a miracle.

Tae posted:

Okay, it's a cheap enough deal that it doesn't really matter too much but why sign a guy coming off a major injury

He's going to kiss LBJ in the playoffs to try and get the Pacers into the finals.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Zogo posted:

A knightman with 360° field of view and zoom/enhance binoculars would be very popular.

Atlanta having a -1.3 MOV (and -1.6 SRS) and being 38-36 is a miracle.

He's going to kiss LBJ in the playoffs to try and get the Pacers into the finals.

Lmao Pacers ain't making the playoffs

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Brolander posted:

the Root Beer Barrel does that stupid foul baiting "shot attempt" all the time and he's an incredible player and i hate him and he sucks

he's got Bird(Jokic?) brain in terms of decision making speed. although being an extremely good anticipator means you don't actually have to make the split second decision, you already made it before the guy even got there

My god Barq's is playing ten dimensional chess

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The rockets are a lot of fun to watch and Harden is a big part of that.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

pubic works project posted:

They shouldn't, but they probably will. There's only 8 games left in the season and they probably only need to win two of those games to lock up a spot. Jesus the lower rungs of the East standings are depressing.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rick posted:

Harden is Steve Kerr with a good first step.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

Watching harden is like watching a beautiful interpretive dance. The 0/2 fg 22/24 ft games :discourse:

Bismack Biyombo 0 FGAs, 12 FTAs
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201212280BRK.html

James Donaldson and Dwight Howard 1 FGA, 17 FTAs:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198511230LAC.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200912110PHO.html

pubic works project posted:

BBR says they are ~81% to make it. BBR says they even have a 1 in 71 chance of going to the finals :eyepop:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Forgive me if I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses, but is the 2016 NBA finals one of the best series we've ever seen?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure it was the best

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Forgive me if I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses, but is the 2016 NBA finals one of the best series we've ever seen?

We said that at the time too. Yeah.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's got to be up there if it's not the greatest. Golden State had 5 or 6 chances to be considered the greatest team of all time in the last minute of game 7.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They never would have been greatest team . They lost way too much in the playoffs. Even if they won game 7

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

They never would have been greatest team . They lost way too much in the playoffs. Even if they won game 7

Most people would have recognized a team with 73 wins in the regular season and a title as the GOAT team. Previous GOAT teams didn't have to play as many playoff games to win the title.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The 2016 finals were the best solely because the entire series came down to the First Unanimous MVP getting handcuffed by an awful defensive center one-on-one

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Jordan Bulls will be the greatest team ever forever because the myth of 90's basketball without Wimpy Coward Zone Defense is going to stick around forever.

I was hoping all the old people eventually dying would erase that, but the 20-30 range have picked that up via osmosis that it'll never go away.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

NickRoweFillea posted:

Personally, yes. Objectively, probably not.

I have fond memories of watching game 7 in a bar with a couple of friends. One of them is a huge bandwagon Warriors fan so the joy of a Warriors loss was drat near euphoric.

I should also mention that I live in Europe and the bar was still packed with a hundred basketball fans at 5 AM on a monday morning. The atmosphere was insane. That game is legitimately one of my fondest sports memories.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Libertine posted:

They shouldn't, but they probably will. There's only 8 games left in the season and they probably only need to win two of those games to lock up a spot. Jesus the lower rungs of the East standings are depressing.

Depends on the Bulls. The Pacers are about to lose 5 straight with Memphis, 2 against Toronto, Cleveland, and the Bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tae posted:

The Jordan Bulls will be the greatest team ever forever because the myth of 90's basketball without Wimpy Coward Zone Defense is going to stick around forever.

I was hoping all the old people eventually dying would erase that, but the 20-30 range have picked that up via osmosis that it'll never go away.

Watching 90s ball already looks pretty bad compared to watching modern games. It will likely continue to look even worse as we get further from it. There will be just enough footage to kill that myth as time goes on.

• Locked thread