Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Grizzlies have been kinda garbage without Gasol, he's due to miss the next game at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

leftist heap posted:

What would Russell Westbrook have to do on top of averaging a triple double in order to be a definite lock for MVP. Because at this rate it seems like that might not be enough.

Be James Harden.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

MVP should be whoever sells the most merch imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean they are definitely the best regular season team ever. They have that in lock down.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
James Harden is better in every way than Russ and plays on a much more fun team to watch.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Eltoasto posted:

Depends on the Bulls. The Pacers are about to lose 5 straight with Memphis, 2 against Toronto, Cleveland, and the Bucks.

The Bulls close out the season playing 5 tanking teams in a row so yeah I didn't realize that.

I guess it's probably likely that they make it with one of the Pacers or Heat dropping out because they have such higher quality opponents.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

The Duggler posted:

halloween mask sales

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Spoeank posted:

The 2016 finals were the best solely because the entire series came down to the First Unanimous MVP getting handcuffed by an awful defensive center one-on-one

If you told me the phrase "Kevin Love locks Steph Curry in jail to win the NBA finals" at the beginning of last year I'd have called you crazy.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Kibner posted:

What is particularly impressive about Harden's numbers is that he throws up so many more 3pt shots than anyone else and still has the highest rate of drawn fouls on them. It's very impressive.

I still hate watching his foul baiting ways, though, despite their proven effectiveness.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd put 01 lakers and 96 era bulls above last years warriors pretty easy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron had as much to do with shutting down curry as love did on that play.

Love still did a good job staying near him

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

havelock posted:

I don't deny it takes incredible skill to pull off - I think my lack of appreciation stems from how frustrating it is to see your team fall victim to it.

and how it slows down the game. free throws are a necessary part of the game, but maximizing free throws makes the game boring AF

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

NickRoweFillea posted:

If you told me the phrase "Kevin Love locks Steph Curry in jail to win the NBA finals" at the beginning of last year I'd have called you crazy.

You could of said that at any point up to and even during the actual play it was happening and I would have said the same.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Honestly I'm pretty sure both the 2016 and the 2013 finals are both S-Tier and that we got them within five years each other is a blessing.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
An interesting thing to note about the 2016 finals was that so many of the games were blowouts...

Cavaliers 89 - 104 Warriors
Cavaliers 77 - 110 Warriors
Warriors 90 - 120 Cavaliers
Warriors 108 - 97 Cavaliers
Cavaliers 112 - 97 Warriors
Warriors 101 - 115 Cavaliers
Cavaliers 93 - 89 Warriors
Average margin of victory: 17.4

...and yet it still felt compelling throughout.

elime anning fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 30, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
2016 Finals: Bogut, Ballshots, and Blowouts

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Panzeh posted:

James Harden is better in every way than Russ and plays on a much more fun team to watch.

Panzeh...is right

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When did Monty Williams upgrade to Spurs VP of basketball operations?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Duggler posted:

And with his 30th straight MVP, Michael Jordan!

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

Forgive me if I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses, but is the 2016 NBA finals one of the best series we've ever seen?

It had all the pleasure of 18-1 but dialed up to 11 because it was the team I like winning 3 in a row after being down 3-1 in the NBA Finals against the first unanimous MVP.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

attackmole posted:

Honestly I'm pretty sure both the 2016 and the 2013 finals are both S-Tier and that we got them within five years each other is a blessing.

Yup!

I would argue that aside from the pure quality of amazing basketball, you also have to have a great narrative to make it The Best, and 2016 had it in spades

It was a rematch from the previous year's finals, the dude going for GOAT recognition vs. the team that had broken every record. Also, an inversion of the two years of LeBron v. Spurs

The backstory of LeBron trying to demolish the Cleveland Sports Curse and it really looks like he's not going to be able to do it

Industrial Manufacturing America vs. Silicon Valley

It had continuity, it had drama, it had Draymond playing the villain with his nonstop ball-attacks

Ahh there was so much to it. But it was an immediate all-time classic and we knew it at the time, like folks who watched the Red Sox come back on the Yankees is 2003 (2004?)

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

An interesting thing to note about the 2016 finals was that so many of the games were blowouts...

Cavaliers 89 - 104 Warriors
Cavaliers 77 - 110 Warriors
Warriors 90 - 120 Cavaliers
Warriors 108 - 97 Cavaliers
Cavaliers 112 - 97 Warriors
Warriors 101 - 115 Cavaliers
Cavaliers 93 - 89 Warriors
Average margin of victory: 17.4

...and yet it still felt compelling throughout.

Yeah, the storyline was pretty great but a lot of the games weren't that fun to watch. (Besides game 7, which was incredible, granted). Wasn't the GSW-OKC series the same way? 7 game series, a ton of superstars, Steph's new shoes, but the games were just alternating blowouts.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Both the game and the overall series score was tied going into the final three minutes of game 7! Seriously if you were scripting the thing it would have felt like a bit much and they would have dialed it back

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/treymoses32/status/847112794419933184

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Embiid's gotta see this while injured again? Kick a man while he's down why don't you

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
old pic apparently

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

euphronius posted:

Love still did a good job staying near him

Of all of the times I've seen this come up I've always wondered why no one has ever questioned why Curry didn't just blow past Love and go for a quick 2. He had him beat at least 3 times for a drive/kick/quick 2. There was still 49 secs in the game only down 3.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Smellyhead posted:

Of all of the times I've seen this come up I've always wondered why no one has ever questioned why Curry didn't just blow past Love and go for a quick 2. He had him beat at least 3 times for a drive/kick/quick 2. There was still 49 secs in the game only down 3.

Because LeBron was just waiting to block his rear end again

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Smellyhead posted:

I think that you'll find, if you comb through posts from around that time and watch lots of game footage, you'll realize the reason is Steph Curry is A Bitch

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Soooooo I write for a little nothing website that wrote an article about Hinkie to the Kings.

Today a marketing company contacted the author on behalf of the Kings and requested he include the tweet from Sam Amick about the Kings definitely not going after Sam Hinkie.

So... The Kings are definitely going after Sam Hinkie.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 30, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Smellyhead posted:

Steph said in interviews after that he kept wanting to make that backbreaking 3 to get the crowd into it. aka he kept forcing his shot.

Also he was probably scared of driving into the paint cause Lebron blocked him so many times

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Smellyhead posted:

curry was thrown off by the hannah barbara coconut noises love's feet were making

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

R.D. Mangles posted:

curry was thrown off by the hannah barbara coconut noises love's feet were making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHDWzH4HBwU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Actually I think if you look close you'll see that the 2013 finals were actually not good.

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Btw I would bet money that Love had been planning this since he was 13 and also that it ruled just as hard as he imagined

https://www.twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/744748257088147456

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
"The fight in this team is a delight to watch" - Sixers play-by-play announcer Mark Zumoff

I concur Mark.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Shear Modulus posted:

Btw I would bet money that Love had been planning this since he was 13 and also that it ruled just as hard as he imagined

https://www.twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/744748257088147456

So sick

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kibner posted:

James Harden is better by far than anyone else in the league at it.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/james-harden-gets-fouled-on-3s-more-than-any-nba-team/

I want to see this for the last 30-40 games or so because something in dragic clicked at the midway point and he's drawing them at a very high rate. Another two tonight against the knicks.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Russ is the greatest creation this planet has ever produced and is the mvp and I won't hear otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Smellyhead posted:

Because lebron was right there to demolish curry

Again

• Locked thread