Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe every race weekend should be like banger race format where there are 2 smaller races of 10 and the top 3 of each go onto the A main, and the rest go to a last chance qualifier where the top 4 go to the A main and everybody else goes to the B main so the main races only have 10 reasonably close cars on track so no blue flags or lapped traffic. so we could have a good race full of good cars and then a wacky race full of the lovely ones.

Make the starting position of the qualifiers a reverse of the previous race's finish position with even number finishers in one race and odd number finishers in the other to mix it up.

Also make it like claimer racing where the loser can buy the winner's engine for $500.

These are conditions, i believe, that would allow mclaren to win something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

zelah posted:

Is this why they call this the worst thread?

Yeah, although there is some charm to these worst post competitions, even if wicka always wins.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

We are all masochist

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Rosberg won because Hamilton's engine blew up. Saying he is lazy is all well and good but he lost like 40 something points from his car not working.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Rosberg won because Hamilton's engine blew up. Saying he is lazy is all well and good but he lost like 40 something points from his car not working.

As i said, plus all the engine changes and gearbox changes that forced him to go through the field. Rosberg would never have been able to drive like he did this year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

Yeah, although there is some charm to these worst post competitions, even if wicka always wins.

I take it you have Drizzle on ignore then?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

zelah posted:

The thread's the busiest it's been for aaages, while the posts stay actually vaguely related to F1 that's probably not a terrible thing.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

zelah posted:

I missed your av. :)

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I was really hoping that Red Bull would close the gap this year but I'm not sure anymore. I'm real new to the sport; is performance between cars usually this big of a deciding factor?

People talk about Alonso being one of the best drivers, but it seems clear that he's not going to be sniffing a podium on his current team.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

zelah posted:

I was really hoping that Red Bull would close the gap this year but I'm not sure anymore. I'm real new to the sport; is performance between cars usually this big of a deciding factor?

Yes. Hugely important. In most cases, significantly more important than driver skill.

quote:

People talk about Alonso being one of the best drivers, but it seems clear that he's not going to be sniffing a podium on his current team.

Also correct :smith:

If you want to understand Alonso's appeal, try to watch 2012 (because it's a drat good season) or at least the season review. It's probably the most recent and clear example of a driver dragging an inferior car over the course of a season into a title fight it had no business being in. It's a brilliant and heartbreaking season.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yes. It's not series racing, the teams build the cars. In Indycar there is a common chassis that everyone uses (or there was when I last watched) but in F1 the cars are built by the teams. Where this doesn't always happen is the engine, because building an F1 engine is a ridiculously complicated and expensive thing that a massive company like Honda can't get right. So there are only a few people that make engines, Ferrari, Merc and Renault power the grid.

But because there is a lot of aerodynamic loading on F1 cars and that results in huge performance gains, the individual teams making their chassis and the wings and wing details still have a lot of influence over the performance of their car. The Renault and Red Bull both use the Renault engine, but Red Bull have the aerodynamic experience of an particular engineer called Adrian Newey, which means their chassis and resulting aerodynamic package and therefore car is nothing like the Renault.

F1 is a longer burn than a race or a championship. It's about development and momentum and the most prestigious motor racing marques directly competing in both building cars and racing them.

So what is happening (IMO) with RBR is they are at a disadvantage with that customer Renault engine. Renault will never sell their very best engine to you as a customer, their very best engine goes into their own car. So you've got a less than top engine, which means you've gotta try and catch up in other places. The problem with that is your competitors not only build their own engines (with dibs on that super-special config they keep just for themselves) but also arguably have comparable aero and chassis departments.. so you're coming to fight with only one glove done up. Danny and Max are both brilliant drivers but F1 is too serious for that to be enough.

What a long post. I enjoy explaining F1 to noobies sometimes rather than just making jokes with the regulars :)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dude don't take offense to this but if your post is longer than 5 sentences you should take maybe like ten minutes after writing it and then come back and consider whether it's worth posting. It's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rosberg won because Hamilton's engine blew up. Hamilton broke his car, having paid no attention towards learning how the car worked. Saying he is lazy is all well and good but he lost like 40 something points from his car not working being more lazy.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Dude don't take offense to this but if your post is longer than 5 sentences you should take maybe like ten minutes after writing it and then come back and consider whether it's worth posting. It's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Why? Everyone long posts sometimes and I probably do it more than most. Just because I'm talking about stuff all the fans already know doesn't mean it's not worth posting for noobies.

You'll pick up when I'm in lecture mode, I'll start saying super obvious stuff like who make engines. That post isn't intended for you or any of the regulars. I can stop it if it really shits you all, but I do like talking in full paragraphs now and then.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Honestly he lost it in Japan. The first third of the season everyone and their dog was stopping him in the pitlane and paddock and saying "You're not doing that great and your starts aren't too hot compared to Rosberg's, do you think maybe you should stop partying as much and maybe figure out the starts?" and he'd just say "lol nope". Then Japan came and Rosberg outqualified him and his side of the grid was damp and he just stood there by his grid slot looking like a kid who had turned up 5 minutes late for class and completely forgotten that a big assignment was due that day and he hadn't even started.

You can go on about his luck and whatever, but there's a reason I drive home he's lazy and throws away a quarter of any given season and its because he easily could've compensated for his poo poo reliability by pulling his finger out at the start of the year.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
He lost in Malaysia when his engine blew up and swung like 20+ points to Rosberg.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

zelah posted:

Red Bull have recently been a team that starts off p garbo because the engine tends to be p garbo, but they close the gap through the season through aero upgrades and drivers learning how to utilise the latest Neweymobile (Adrian Newey, the technical director of Red Bull, is a dark magic wizard who makes ridiculous cars that usually outperform their engine) in racing situations.

For Alonso, look at where how his teammate was lapping (and his teammates tend to be young and garbage or old and getting more garbage) and then look at how he was lapping. Alonso drives cars to times they don't belong anywhere near.

1500quidporsche posted:

You can go on about his luck and whatever, but there's a reason I drive home he's lazy and throws away a quarter of any given season and its because he easily could've compensated for his poo poo reliability by pulling his finger out at the start of the year.

He lost in Malaysia when his engine blew up and swung like 20+ points to Rosberg.

Is it possible that him not doing all the offseason testing and practice and whatnot led to his car being less reliable because he was less aware of the cars failings and was unable to drive around them?

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 30, 2017

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Schlesische posted:

Is it possible that him not doing all the offseason testing and practice and whatnot led to his car being less reliable because he was less aware of the cars failings and was unable to drive around them?

I love the mental gymnastics used to blame Lewis for literally everything. No he didn't get unlucky with reliability, its actually his own fault that everything bad happened!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

zelah posted:

I was really hoping that Red Bull would close the gap this year but I'm not sure anymore. I'm real new to the sport

F1 can be confusing at first, but once you get into the swing of things you'll realise that you want the Scud to close the gap, not Red Bull (who you kind of want to gently caress off from the sport altogether).

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

what a loving lovely post. thats okay?

F1 explainer dude, keep the good work!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Thanks. I don't know if it would appeal to veterans, but the Shift+F1 (formerly Giant Bomb's Alt+F1) podcast is pretty good for newer viewers. They do recaps after each race and previews before. They go over the history and layout of each track before a race plus whatever news may have happened between recordings.

They also do their best to explain strategy/tire basics and have no problem admitting ignorance when they're unsure of something.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bryter posted:

F1 can be confusing at first, but once you get into the swing of things you'll realise that you want the Scud to close the gap, not Red Bull (who you kind of want to gently caress off from the sport altogether).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Bryter posted:

Red Bull (who you kind of want to gently caress off from the sport altogether).
But then who will Horny Spice work for?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hopefully McDonald's.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Redbull sucks but has good drivers.

Most people in the thread are in favor of Max Verstappen dying in some crazy way most races.

Your opinion of Riccardo is based on two things:

Your insecurity about how much better his teeth are than yours.

And how much you like a sober man drinking out of a shoe.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

I love the mental gymnastics used to blame Lewis for literally everything. No he didn't get unlucky with reliability, its actually his own fault that everything bad happened!

How unlucky has Hamilton been?

Hamilton has suffered five specific instances of debilitating unreliability this year. They are:
  • An ERS failure at the start of qualifying in China, relegating him to 22nd on the grid. He finished seventh.
  • An ERS failure during Q3 in Russia, restricting the Mercedes driver to 10th on the grid. He finished second.
  • An engine mode issue during the European GP. He finished fifth having started in 10th following a crash in qualifying.
  • A hydraulics fault during Practice Two in Singapore which was cited as a critical factor in his defeat to Rosberg. He finished third.
  • An engine blow-out in Malaysia which cost him an almost-certain victory.
There is, of course, no way of determining how many points Hamilton's 'bad luck' has cost. But it could be reasonably argued that it has denied him at least 40 points this year - 12 in China, when Mercedes were a class above the rest, 25 in Sepang, and ten in Belgium when Hamilton was relegated to the back of the grid after Mercedes introduced fresh power units to compensate for his early-season failures.

My note: Lewis hamilton lost the WDC by 5 points

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 30, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TurboDrizzle posted:

How unlucky has Hamilton been?

- born in England despite clearly being American
- not quite as famous as he'd like to be
- disappointingly underappreciated by rappers
- started losing his hair right as he decided he wanted it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

On the other hand he scared the poo poo out of that big cat and it didn't rip his face off, so maybe quite lucky?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sky F1 in the broadcast booth for every session.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

TurboDrizzle posted:

My note: Lewis hamilton lost the WDC by 5 points

My note: he could have won more than 5 points by being better at driving

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What if Nico Rosberg was just a better driver in 2016? :toot:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

What if Nico Rosberg was just a better driver in 2016? :toot:

Well if we're speaking in crazy hypotheticals: Maybe if he was a better driver he wouldnt be the biggest fraud with the biggest boldest asterisk next to his WDC in history?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

He had no control over the reliability
He had control over being a lazy poo poo

Both things were factors in 2016 but he could've changed one of them and have been WDC.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
How is Brexit going to affect all the F1 teams based in the UK? (Read: 99% of them.)

*drops mic*

*leaves*

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Brexit will make F1 financially nonviable. In other words, nothing will change.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If its going from 'we can hire from anywhere in Europe and just fly them to the UK and put them up in a house and away we go' to 'everyone that isn't English has to go through working visa poo poo with lead times and restrictions and perhaps importing parts and moving vast piles of money around is a lot more complicated and harder' then the UK will cease to be as important as it currently is in F1.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The best part of the F1 season this year is that Bill Burr is watching it and always has something to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlDQAlgqyjk&t=2169s

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The best part of the F1 season this year is that Bill Burr is watching it and always has something to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlDQAlgqyjk&t=2169s

:same:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lewis lost because he was not very good in the first half of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Lewis lost because he was not very good in the first half of the season.

Yeah, he should have just ignored those engine failures and kept driving.

• Locked thread