Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Speaking of shields, do people use kite shields? I use heaters since I don't find the extra ranged defense is worth losing the melee defense, since I try to close fairly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I'm still really early in the game (day 30ish) but now that I've followed the advice itt and gotten myself some proper armour I'm starting to have serious fatigue problems. Now that my guys are in reinforced mail with proper helmets and bigger shields and even with brawny most of their max fatigue is sitting around 60 which I'm finding really hard to manage even with recover. I guess I should have been pumping max fatigue on literally every level up?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Robutt posted:

I'm still really early in the game (day 30ish) but now that I've followed the advice itt and gotten myself some proper armour I'm starting to have serious fatigue problems. Now that my guys are in reinforced mail with proper helmets and bigger shields and even with brawny most of their max fatigue is sitting around 60 which I'm finding really hard to manage even with recover. I guess I should have been pumping max fatigue on literally every level up?

Not necessarily every level up but almost every +3 or +4 on fatigue yes and if the guy's base fatigue is bad on +2's as well.

Someone on Reddit collated some useful information on backgrounds if you're like me and find browsing data sets fun :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ShootaBoy posted:

Speaking of shields, do people use kite shields? I use heaters since I don't find the extra ranged defense is worth losing the melee defense, since I try to close fairly quickly.

I prioritize recruits with melee defense talents and hate enemy archers so I give everyone kites. They are really good!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I want to know what Orc shields are made of because they easily last twice the number of hits my regular ones do.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I want to know what Orc shields are made of because they easily last twice the number of hits my regular ones do.

Iron. Orcs are strong enough to carry and fight with iron shields.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

I prioritize recruits with melee defense talents and hate enemy archers so I give everyone kites. They are really good!

Yeah you get more numbers in total from kite shields (-5 mdef but +10 rdef compared to heaters) and they're much sturdier so I tend to use them over the other options. The legionnaire tower shields are good too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RabidWeasel posted:

Not necessarily every level up but almost every +3 or +4 on fatigue yes and if the guy's base fatigue is bad on +2's as well.

Someone on Reddit collated some useful information on backgrounds if you're like me and find browsing data sets fun :v:

So what I'm getting from this is most of the higher end backgrounds tend to be worse than Squires/Wildmen/Farmhands with Swordmasters/Retired Soldiers being pretty laughable.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 30, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It might just be bad luck but I've never seen a worthwhile squire.

I think it's just that they're so rare that you don't get to sort through a dozen of them for the one golden guy like you do with shitfarmers.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Seems like if your group is good enough for everyone to have greatswords then you've already won the game pretty much. It's really hard for me to get to that point. It's day 118 for me on veteran ironman mode and I'm barely holding off the undead invasion. It's extremely hard for me to find guys with good melee defense. Seems like nearly every recruit I get ends up with ranged talents and bad melee skill, regardless of background. I only have a few high level melee guys. It's hard to keep the rookies alive, since the AI always prioritizes them over everyone else. My casualty list is growing, and I've lost 20 men so far in the campaign.

Surprisingly, archers are not as useless against the skeletons as I thought they would be. I went into the crisis having four good archers. They might not be able to kill skeletons, but they help whittle down their armor and debuff them with the Overwhelm effect, and they switch to longaxes for shield smashing now and then. The skeletons go down really easy without armor or shields. Those archers and my few good melee fighters are the core of my group. I'm terrified of facing necrosavants, since I know my good archers are gonna get butchered by them. I've been avoiding them like the plague. :ohdear:

Also the one town on the map with a dog kennel was overwhelmed and destroyed by the undead armies :cry:

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 30, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My first fight with necrosavants, I was surprised at how easily my veterans tore apart the Ancient Auxiliaries that had given me trouble early on.

Discovering those fuckers can teleport, however...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kenzie posted:

Surprisingly, archers are not as useless against the skeletons as I thought they would be. I went into the crisis having four good archers. They might not be able to kill skeletons, but they help whittle down their armor and debuff them with the Overwhelm effect, and they switch to longaxes for shield smashing now and then. The skeletons go down really easy without armor or shields. Those archers and my few good melee fighters are the core of my group. I'm terrified of facing necrosavants, since I know my good archers are gonna get butchered by them. I've been avoiding them like the plague. :ohdear:

Give them Throwing Axes if you want them to do full damage with their ranged attack skill.

Also, man, this game has not been going well. Been rough from the get go, got to day 25 with very little in the way of quality equipment and a not great assortment of troops and then had to finish a contract to pay wages and, well... I didn't. I had two survivors, one of which was one of the crappiest dudes in my company, and the other of which was my original archer.

So I figured it's time to rebuild from scratch, and told the other dude to take a hike, so now I'm down to one guy and am faced with the prospect of rebuilding. Let's see how much cash I can get from selling all this equipment I guess...

I don't imagine this will go well.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 30, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sounds like the Lessons Learned achievement may be in your future. :( Good luck!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm actually back up to twelve men now, about half level 2, and things are looking... alright? Might be salvageable after all.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What's the deal with the random merc companies just roaming the map? I took one out just for curiosity's sake and the only thing I got was an achievement out of it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What's the deal with the random merc companies just roaming the map? I took one out just for curiosity's sake and the only thing I got was an achievement out of it.

I know you can get an ambition to prove your worth by murdering some of your contemporaries.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Lead the enemies into them, and let them be the ones to die while you loot the corpses.

I succeeded with a town defense once mostly because another merc company helped out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
when you fire a guy you can choose to give him some money for the road. does this actually do anything or is it there so you can feel better about kicking mr. PTSD One Eye to the curb?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Does the game model the other companies pursuing contracts and stuff like that? If it does it could be good to take 'em out just to stop them beating you to the punch. I hope they do more with them down the road, 'cos it could be pretty cool to make the merc business even more (literally) cut-throat.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Are vampires still in the game? I haven't seen any yet. Or were they replaced by the new necrosavants? I don't like how they got rid of all the old skeletons, replacing them with ancient dead. The ancient dead are cool and all, but I want more variety in skeletons dammit. Skeletons are cool and there should always be more skeletons.

GlyphGryph posted:

I succeeded with a town defense once mostly because another merc company helped out.

Yeah I just had a town defense mission against waves of undead, and another merc company came by to help out. So it was me, the other mercs, and the town militia all fighting together. It was pretty neat. It was really helpful to have them there to absorb all the damage when the necrosavants showed up.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

uber_stoat posted:

when you fire a guy you can choose to give him some money for the road. does this actually do anything or is it there so you can feel better about kicking mr. PTSD One Eye to the curb?

If you don't give them money it causes a big morale hit to your company I think.

TomViolence posted:

Does the game model the other companies pursuing contracts and stuff like that? If it does it could be good to take 'em out just to stop them beating you to the punch. I hope they do more with them down the road, 'cos it could be pretty cool to make the merc business even more (literally) cut-throat.

When you mouse over another merc company it might say something like "Hired by *insert town name here*" on it. I dunno if they are actually doing contracts but that would be pretty cool if they did.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

It'd be pretty cool if you could go on a contract that other mercs were already on and have to directly compete or cooperate with them to get the job done then maybe double-cross them or get double-crossed trying to turn it in. Or, be big buds with them and stand in solidarity against a shady-rear end employer who tries to stiff one or both merc companies on payment, maybe threaten to burn down their podunk town or something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kenzie posted:

If you don't give them money it causes a big morale hit to your company I think.

I had a negative event happen earlier when I fired a dude right after he got a permanent injury, with no compensation. It was unclear what the actual penalty was though, it may've just been bad text or maybe i rolled well on the morale checks.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
gently caress goblin ambushers forever poisoning half my front rank before I can even take my first turn. God drat you I just got my greatsword dudes set up, leave them the gently caress alone!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Kenzie posted:

Surprisingly, archers are not as useless against the skeletons as I thought they would be. I went into the crisis having four good archers. They might not be able to kill skeletons, but they help whittle down their armor and debuff them with the Overwhelm effect, and they switch to longaxes for shield smashing now and then.

Ranged weapons can use overwhelmed!? That's a game changer! :aaa:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Back Hack posted:

Ranged weapons can use overwhelmed!? That's a game changer! :aaa:

Berserk works with them too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe everyone knows this but I just found out that archers can shoot over your guys' shoulders and avoid the blocked line of sight malus if they're two tiles away from the enemy.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

TomViolence posted:

It'd be pretty cool if you could go on a contract that other mercs were already on and have to directly compete or cooperate with them to get the job done then maybe double-cross them or get double-crossed trying to turn it in. Or, be big buds with them and stand in solidarity against a shady-rear end employer who tries to stiff one or both merc companies on payment, maybe threaten to burn down their podunk town or something.

This.

The game has so much potential for a paid DLC/Expansion. Hiring your own merc support to do stuff like orc cities or the black monolith would be awesome.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Zore posted:

So what I'm getting from this is most of the higher end backgrounds tend to be worse than Squires/Wildmen/Farmhands with Swordmasters/Retired Soldiers being pretty laughable.

You should take that guy's "formula" with a grain of salt, yes having lots of fatigue and hp are really useful but the guy with -20 fatigue and +10 melee skill and defense is a far superior unit.

What this does make more obvious is that a lot of the middle tier backgrounds which I was already a bit dubious about (disowned noble, bastard, etc) are total crap.

This more or less supports my personal preferences that I had already indentified for which hires to prioritise before you start spending big money on hedge knights etc: Brawlers, Thieves, Wildmen, Farmhands, and if they spawn without expensive gear, Militia and Squires.

One interesting thing which the data appears to support (though the data set could do with being bigger particularly for some classes) is that backgrounds don't give straight bonuses to stats but instead have different ranges for stats. So brawlers for example, have a narrow but higher than average stat range for fatigue and melee skill, compared to farmers, which have wider ranges in both (though tend to be higher in fatigue and lower in melee skill)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love how your mercs can just say "gently caress it" and cut through a swamp to shave off a couple of hours of travel time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jay Rust posted:

I love how your mercs can just say "gently caress it" and cut through a swamp to shave off a couple of hours of travel time.

Careful, you don't wanna catch swamp fever.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

In the last patch i gave my entire back line crossbows, quick hands and billhooks- this meant that you could fire a last shot at a far away enemy using 2ap, swap to bill and then smash whatever had reached your front line in the same turn. Although you had to stat both MA and RA, this was pretty effective.With the new changes to ranged weapons, you can now shoot, swap and smash the same (closer, dangerous) target without hitting Wilfred in the back. Give it a try hombres

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How do you folks put together your backline in terms of defense? Medium armor and dodge? Do you bother with brawny and/or battle forged?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I got a unique orc shield that has 92 durability. It just sits in my inventory because it's like -30 fatigue and no better defense stats than a heater shield, but yeah. It'd take a lot of axe swings to break that down.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Just had a village defense mission with 2 pre-battle events which allowed me to tell the militia where to go and what arms to use and then I could command them in battle. Never saw that before.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 30, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

How do you folks put together your backline in terms of defense? Medium armor and dodge? Do you bother with brawny and/or battle forged?

The only time i've ever felt they were at risk is necrosavants, usually you can control positioning, and as long as you keep them immediately behind the frontline they maintain a good level of ranged defense, and pikers usually stop in range of your front, not backline, so i don't go much past basic mail shirts and similar armor helmets, so they can take an errant arrow or three. I don't put a lot of defensive abilities on them, and dodge is probably as far as I go, but i also push initiative for backline to give advantage for shooting or stabbing, so dodge pays off a lot more with lighter armor. they're gonna crumble under attack anyway unless you put on full plate or w/e, and short of necros if they're under heavy attack you're probably a goner anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I shove nine lives on all my backliners at this point.

I'm loving tired of losing guys to errant crossbow bolts. Now if it happens I just pull the fucker out immediately.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but they apparently nerfed both of the direwolf armors. It was probably needed, but I was a bit disappointed after getting lucky with a terrorizing beast contract.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

scaterry posted:

I still dont get how to fight orcs well. My front line collapses with the stuns even with spearwall up.

Don't let them charge. I always close make contact first. You can also minimize the effect of having a stunned frontline by having guys with good melee defense.

By late game the only time Orcs are scary for me is when there are 3+ orc warriors or an Orc Warlord.

Also mixed Orc and Goblin Ambusher armies can be scary, but you only see this if you have the green skin crisis.

Kenzie posted:

When you mouse over another merc company it might say something like "Hired by *insert town name here*" on it. I dunno if they are actually doing contracts but that would be pretty cool if they did.

If you ever bandit and a town hates you, they will hire mercs to kill you. So yes, they "run contracts" on some level.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wallet posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but they apparently nerfed both of the direwolf armors. It was probably needed, but I was a bit disappointed after getting lucky with a terrorizing beast contract.

To what stats?