Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I thought Great Britain was England + Scotland

loving venn diagram nightmare of an island

Pregame some motrin for this one

https://youtu.be/rNu8XDBSn10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Well my point is that last century saw the end of their empire abroad and this century might see it devolve into nothing more than England plus a few random islands that don't care enough and aren't important enough to push for their own independence given the fact that by the time they won independence they'll likely be little more than a sand bank.

The funny thing is the Queen is gonna wind up with more political power than the government since she is (I think) the only thing really linking together stuff like the Falkland islands and the Cayman islands back to England.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 30, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So this budget-request bomb was just dropped.

quote:

President Trump has asked Congress to impose an $18 billion cut in non-defense spending in its appropriations legislation for fiscal year 2017. According to a leaked document, the White House has suggested that about $3 billion be taken from R&D programs. Several key congressional appropriators have said it is too late in the fiscal year to consider such large cuts.

We're already under a continuing resolution with no budget in place so yeah, despite the words by Congress, this could indeed prove to be a thing. Such deep, immediate cuts, coupled with next year's budget request that cuts deeper yet, will be ruinous to vast swaths of U.S. R&D. Layoffs of scientists, engineers, terminations of postdoc and grad student appointments, internships, cessation of project new starts and already-starteds. It's the kind of poo poo only an idiot with no knowledge of the appropriations and budgetary process could demand. It's senselessly wasteful and destructive.

If this happens, there won't be any way to recover. We will have literally traded the world's most enviable R&D engine (and probably tens of percent of future GDP, indefinitely, as a consequence) for that hosed up wall

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Bro_Pair/status/847220613110484995

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chinese spies can't steal your r&d if you cancel it all

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

hey you dumb bitch, try reading 50 words past the clickbait headline

Only read Friedman for the humor value.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/847233709849755648

Agreed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

We're already under a continuing resolution with no budget in place so yeah, despite the words by Congress, this could indeed prove to be a thing. Such deep, immediate cuts, coupled with next year's budget request that cuts deeper yet, will be ruinous to vast swaths of U.S. R&D. Layoffs of scientists, engineers, terminations of postdoc and grad student appointments, internships, cessation of project new starts and already-starteds. It's the kind of poo poo only an idiot with no knowledge of the appropriations and budgetary process could demand. It's senselessly wasteful and destructive.

If this happens, there won't be any way to recover. We will have literally traded the world's most enviable R&D engine (and probably tens of percent of future GDP, indefinitely, as a consequence) for that hosed up wall

This is, literally, going to bring our Scientific infrastructure to a grinding halt and will have catastrophic and long term impacts.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Shhh. We don't need science to MAGA; it's all just liberal PC lies like global warming.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Reverand maynard posted:

If the scots leave I wonder what impact this would have on Ireland.

If I remember correctly, Gerry Adams (Sinn Fein/IRA leader) said that Brexit was a violation of the Good Friday Agreement.

So, you know...extrapolate from that.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In a really cynical way I could see the defunding of NIST Manufacturing as a Bannonesque plot to halt further automation and save the white working class.

The rest of it is pants on head stupid though. Seems like they still think that all the DOE does is think up ways to undercut poor, honest oilmen and coal barons struggling to make ends meet.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

unbutthurtable posted:

If I remember correctly, Gerry Adams (Sinn Fein/IRA leader) said that Brexit was a violation of the Good Friday Agreement.

So, you know...extrapolate from that.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inde...9011.html%3Famp

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

As an actual Civil Engineer, my favorite thing in the next year is going to be when the bid finally comes out in the range of 100 hundred billion dollars.

I literally cannot wait.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SquirrelyPSU posted:

As an actual Civil Engineer, my favorite thing in the next year is going to be when the bid finally comes out in the range of 100 hundred billion dollars.

I literally cannot wait.

Mexico's gonna pay for it anyway. If anything he should art of the deal it to make the price higher so Mexico pays more.

For reals though, Trump is balls deep in the construction and real estate world, with all the corruption that implies. He's gonna build his god drat wall no matter what it costs because whatever impact it has on the country, such as dismantling the nation's future through R&D, is meaningless to him compared to personally enriching himself.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BigDave posted:

And the Isles of Man, Gurnsey and Jersey.

If they want to complete the set we'll happily give them New Jersey

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I would pay to get New Joisy out of the union. Give it back to the queen with a stipend.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I was about to say there's nothing wrong with New Jersey, but that's a blatant lie, so I'll settle for arguing it's not Mississippi.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
we should just get rid of the south. split just like it was in the civil war.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

we should just get rid of the south. split just like it was in the civil war.

Nah. This time keep Virginia and lose West Virginia.
Also, let all the black people emigrate first.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
See, I've seen enough confederate flags in loving Michigan to know that it's less that the South as a region is terrible and more that dumbfucks in suburbs and rural areas are literally the worst, and unfortunately the South just happens to have a lot of suburbs and rural areas.

Edit: Kicking the South out of the Union would rid us of John Lewis and leave us with Steve King, and I cannot possibly imagine a worse fate

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The french can have Mississippi and Louisiana. I have a small place in my hate filled heart for Alabama. Florida and Georgia can be set aflame or glassed over or have the government weather conspiracy machine wipe them out. Nothing can redeem either of them.
I spent a whole four miles of my life in Joisey and I flat refuse to waste another foot of transport or moment of time there.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Growing up in Michigan I never understood the confederate flags either. But then again I saw them in California often

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Confederate flags are bullshit anyway. The stars and bars were a unit designation flag for a batch of confederates in Virginia. It was used as a cornerpiece of a flag, squared instead of 5/3 dimension, and never adopted as an official confederate flag, though there were a handful for its short run.

It's pretty much a symbol of proud ignorance that those who buy into never understand.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Atlanta's cool, just burn everything outside of a ten mile radius from i285 .

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

KildarX posted:

Atlanta's cool, just burn everything outside of a ten mile radius from i285 .

yeah i liked atlanta, cool place

and i highly recommend daddy d'z bbq joynt to anyone in the area

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

It's literally a symbol of proud ignorance that those who buy into never understand.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll accept it worn ironically by the likes of Mandingo, and that will be my exception to "literally".

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Confederate flags are bullshit anyway. The stars and bars were a unit designation flag for a batch of confederates in Virginia. It was used as a cornerpiece of a flag, squared instead of 5/3 dimension, and never adopted as an official confederate flag, though there were a handful for its short run.

It's pretty much a symbol of proud ignorance that those who buy into never understand.

UMMMMM SLAVERY EXISTED UNDER THE STARS AND STRIPES SO I GUESS YOU WANNA BAN THAT TOO???

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So, while Nunes is busy being tossing his credibility out of the window, the Senate Intelligence Committee is quietly and methodically working on its investigation under bipartisan leadership. It's been enough to make some Republicans in the house want to wash their hands of the whole thing to avoid embarassment.

quote:

The Senate Intelligence Committee will begin as soon as Monday privately interviewing 20 people in its ongoing investigation of Russian involvement in the 2016 election as well as potential ties to the Trump campaign, its leaders said Wednesday.

Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) said that “if there’s relevance” to those and other interviews that he and Vice Chairman Mark R. Warner (D-Va.) anticipate scheduling, “they will eventually be part of a public hearing.”

. . .

The difference is drawing notice on both sides of the Capitol. On Wednesday, a Republican congressman said the Senate should take the lead on Congress’s Russia investigation.

“The House is paralyzed on this thing,” Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Pa.) said in an interview. “The Senate is moving forward. I think that’s the only committee that’s going to be able to bring us a report at this point.”

. . .

Burr said Wednesday that the White House had not tried to prevent Yates from testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee. He and Warner indicated Wednesday that Yates has not yet been scheduled for an interview or testimony.

Burr would not commit to an interview schedule with Trump surrogates who have volunteered themselves in recent days, such as former campaign manager Paul Manafort, former advisers Carter Page and Roger Stone, and Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner. All four have reported connections either to Russian officials, oligarchs or organizations wrapped up in the Kremlin’s 2016 meddling efforts, such as WikiLeaks.

Burr said the committee would do such interviews only when it “determines we’re ready,” and only “if they’re even pertinent to the issues we need to look into.”

He added that the committee “will conduct an interview with Mr. Kushner when the committee decides it’s time to set a date, because we know exactly the scope of what needs to be asked of Mr. Kushner.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...b3a3_story.html

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 30, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
House Reps come and go but no Senator wants to be caught on the wrong side of this because once they get the boot they aren't getting back in the club house

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

shame on an IGA posted:

Pregame some motrin for this one

https://youtu.be/rNu8XDBSn10

The part about countries who left through diplomacy sounded like the Countries of the World song from the Animaniacs.

Also.. The British Antarctic Territory has a higher population than the Pitcarin Islands?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I hope if anything comes of this it at least results in some public executions ala 17th century France.
I don't think it's asking too much honestly.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

bengy81 posted:

I hope if anything comes of this it at least results in some public executions ala 17th century France.
I don't think it's asking too much honestly.

This has been my hope to..

I live a life of disappointment and loneliness though.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Genocide Tendency posted:

The part about countries who left through diplomacy sounded like the Countries of the World song from the Animaniacs.

Also.. The British Antarctic Territory has a higher population than the Pitcarin Islands?

You have a much lower chance of being raped in a science lab in Antarctica.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

In more local current events: http://whdh.com/news/police-trucker-drove-from-seattle-to-massachusetts-nonstop-fueled-by-drugs/

quote:

DEERFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Police have arrested a trucker they say drove nonstop from Seattle to Massachusetts fueled by crystal meth, LSD and cocaine.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Genocide Tendency posted:

It's taken me 23 years to notice the "Germany, now in one piece"

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

You have a much lower chance of being raped in a science lab in Antarctica.

read this if you want your skin to crawl

quote:

A study of island records confirmed anecdotal evidence that most girls bore their first child between the ages of 12 and 15. "I think the girls were conditioned to accept that it was a man's world and once they turned 12, they were eligible," Tosen said. Mothers and grandmothers were resigned to the situation, telling him that their own childhood experience had been the same; they regarded it as just a part of life on Pitcairn. One grandmother wondered what all the fuss was about.

:smithicide:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

"Pitcairn's 47 inhabitants, almost all of whom are interrelated"

:wtc: this is like some The Hills Have Eyes poo poo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The coke and meth I understand, but LSD? :wom: either way, the man is a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

FastestGunAlive posted:

Growing up in Michigan I never understood the confederate flags either. But then again I saw them in California often

Actually I'll have you know that many of the Texas and Southern folks I work with, stationed here in CA, have assured me this state is exclusively liberal vegan faggots so I don't know where you got that. Why no these dudes have not ventured outside of coastal metro areas.

• Locked thread