Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh, also, when you're customizing one of your three chip layouts, keep the "Optimize" button in mind - contrary to what you might think, it doesn't actually change which chips you have equipped, it just re-arranges them so there isn't any wasted space. Saves you having to move them all around by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh I guess Yahtzee didn't like it

Well he thought the music from Nier was bad, so he's clearly off his rocker on this subject

This baffles me.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, sorry, everything with Emi Evans is good, and his opinion invalid. I like her duo project stuff as well, I wish she made more music I could buy.

You can trust any OST with involvement by the following Japanese people :

Yoko Kanno
Kajiura Yuki
The Ar Tonelico people especially including Shikata Akiko
And Okabe.

Did I forget someone?

Pretty sure you can add Nobuo Uematsu to that, and at this point Masayoshi Soken's a good shout. Videogame soundtracks are good.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh poo poo, Uematsu I forgot.

Soken was the FFXIV Guy? He's a beast.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, sorry, everything with Emi Evans is good, and his opinion invalid. I like her duo project stuff as well, I wish she made more music I could buy.

You can trust any OST with involvement by the following Japanese people :

Yoko Kanno
Kajiura Yuki
The Ar Tonelico people especially including Shikata Akiko
And Okabe.

Did I forget someone?

Masafumi Takada

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

A merchant on the Bunker will let you buy upgrades to your chip equipment capacity, and this is one of the best possible things to be spending money on early on. Also, obviously be on the lookout for chips with low equip cost - often it's possible to replace a chip with an exact duplicate that just costs less to equip!

Isn't this person at the resistance camp? Or are there two of them.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Masafumi Takada

I actually don't know him.

I never played one of his works at all, after consulting Wikipedia.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

SHISHKABOB posted:

Isn't this person at the resistance camp? Or are there two of them.

The guy in the server room in the Bunker and the lady who hangs out by the infirmary in the resistance camp can both do it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

The guy in the server room in the Bunker

What, there is a vendor besides the Terminals inside the Bunker?!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just can't understand not being blown away by the (route A spoilers) amusement park - music, visuals, and that the robots don't attack you. That's where the game really got me.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

killer7 is the raddest poo poo ever commited to a game disc

also Meguro's still doing good work on SMT

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 30, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I just can't understand not being blown away by the (route A spoilers) amusement park - music, visuals, and that the robots don't attack you. That's where the game really got me.

Same. It really weirded me the gently caress out. And the music there is great, one of my favorite tracks.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm still on board the Meguro train pretty hard tbh

The first time Heartbeat, Heartbreak started playing during Persona 4 I just left my TV running in the background for like an hour while I tooled around my house enjoying the good rear end music

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You're missing out, most of those games are great

Like 3 of my favorite games of all time are on that list

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I never got a taste for Goichi Suda, sorry. Even watching LPs made me dislike his stuff more.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Opposing Farce posted:

killer7 is the raddest poo poo ever commited to a game disc

also Meguro's still doing good work on SMT

Digital Devil Saga probably has my favorite SMT OST, I love it so much and it single handedly sold me on the entire series.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm phone posting, badly. I bought the OST on Amazon in the end, for 19 Euro. I want the physical, but shipping from Japan takes weeks or months

I ordered from Amazon Japan and it's arriving tomorrow on the default shipping. No clue how it might go for Europe but it might have gotten better for you guys

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Nina posted:

I love that Automata is so far into this post-scifi magitek future that what magic there is isn't even called attention upon because it's what the scifi technology has ran on for 9000 years. It's just a normal part of the tech

I love this sort of thing because it reminds me of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, which seems like a typical grimdark fantasy novel until poo poo gets weird and you realize it's actually the narrator's autobiography, written in earth's very distant future, translated into English. Everything that seemed like magic actually turns out to be sufficiently advanced technology; all the fantastic terms for animals and weapons and poo poo are existing albeit archaic words, chosen by the translator because they were the closest possible approximations for things that don't exist yet in our time. (Not a gigantic spoiler and pretty much directly stated by Wolfe in the appendix to the first book, but it's still a pretty big "ohhhhhhhhhh" moment.)

No Wave posted:

You can check my embarrassing post history in this thread to see how tilted I got by dying in the tutorial but I'm now deeply crazy about the game. Just set it onto easy, the lack of save points in the first hour of the game is easily the worst design decision in the game by a wide margin (but yes, it's a really horrible decision).

This didn't bother me in Route A because I managed to not die, but I had to start Route B over several times because in some of the shooting sections with tilted camera angles, the joystick moves you relative to your character, rather than in an absolute screen direction like "real" shmups. Those sections were few and brief but I just couldn't acclimate to "down" actually moving 9S down and to the right, for example, when everything else was telling my brain it was shmup time.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Usually shipping from Japan on domestic Mail is via ship for Europe, and airmail is super expensive. It takes 4-6 weeks, same with China.

Amazon.co.jp tells me they don't ship the item to Germany at all.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 30, 2017

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

What, there is a vendor besides the Terminals inside the Bunker?!

Yeah, through the door/elevator that isn't the hangar or the command room.

But I think there's (eventually? very early anyway) a vendor at the Resistance camp who sells the exact same stuff I'm pretty sure.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nuebot posted:

And if not someone will eventually straight up rip the game's OST so I can listen to emil's english shop theme on repeat forever.

I have good news friend! If you are on PC, just right click and select loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htNzwymLtNQ

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

really queer Christmas posted:

I will have to save it later on or something. I also need to find "Thanks Friendo!" as a text alert or something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Route C spoilers: Is it just me, or does the inside of this Tower look a lot like the last level of Drakengard 3?

E: HOLY gently caress IT'S THE LIBRARY. HOLY gently caress :woop:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 30, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

People talk about how the characters/story/etc. are too Japanese for them but the absolute hands-down most Japanese thing in the entire game is Emil's little truck puttering around and blaring this song from a lovely megaphone at all hours.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
People have mentioned how Emil's truck sometimes randomly rolls by during the big Devola/Popola scene and totally ruins the mood, and that kind of makes it extra funny that you can ruin Emil's big dramatic moment by wandering too far into the desert and activating an angry mob of screaming exploding can machines.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's not the same without the doppler effect.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The one true OST will be a proper 0-100% playthrough with all "intended" areas approached and left in the most dynamic fashion to provide the full multi track experience

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

more games- every game needs emil to show up and tool around in the background of serious and dramatic cutscenes

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Oh I guess Yahtzee didn't like it

Well he thought the music from Nier was bad, so he's clearly off his rocker on this subject

It's also to be noted that if you've ever actually watched him play video games before he's just the absolute loving worst at them. Like he probably played on Easy for 99% of the game and only used one combo and was like "wow this game is so simple and boring and going to any of the harder difficulties makes the game impossible!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

People have mentioned how Emil's truck sometimes randomly rolls by during the big Devola/Popola scene and totally ruins the mood, and that kind of makes it extra funny that you can ruin Emil's big dramatic moment by wandering too far into the desert and activating an angry mob of screaming exploding can machines.

Without realizing I stopped him right next to the tower so the whole event was spent listening to him, kind of ruined the mood.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Without realizing I stopped him right next to the tower so the whole event was spent listening to him, kind of ruined the mood.

ruined? or made better

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It's also to be noted that if you've ever actually watched him play video games before he's just the absolute loving worst at them. Like he probably played on Easy for 99% of the game and only used one combo and was like "wow this game is so simple and boring and going to any of the harder difficulties makes the game impossible!"

To be fair, there's few gaming uh "personalities" that aren't the worst at playing games.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, I just cleared route C. What's my next goal? Clear all quests? Get all weapons to level 4? The debug menu is neat, but it sure looks like it holds some secrets...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

So, I just cleared route C. What's my next goal? Clear all quests? Get all weapons to level 4? The debug menu is neat, but it sure looks like it holds some secrets...

Get the other endings.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Get the other endings.

I...assume you refer to Deez nutz? I mean, duh, I need the other endings. I think I can guess where a major pivot point would be, though...

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

I...assume you refer to Deez nutz? I mean, duh, I need the other endings. I think I can guess where a major pivot point would be, though...

Some spoilers for D and E If you want to do side quests or get cheevos or whatever, you may want to do then before you get D.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pollyanna posted:

That, and all of the joke endings. The only one that has any prerequisite is Y, which needs all weapons maxed.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Hi. Hello. If you'd like about a hundred articles on why this is a good rear end game welp:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/q63HhWM.gif][/img]

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 30, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Having completed the game, in hindsight ending W is suprisingly a happy ending all things considered.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The Dark Id posted:

Hi. Hello. If you'd like about a hundred articles on why this is a good rear end game welp:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/q63HhWM.gif][/timg]

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm going to maintain that the difficulty settings are completely out of whack. I steamroll everything on Normal but when I try to turn it up to Hard I get two-shotted by everything even with a decent chip loadout and it's a miserable experience. The jump in enemy damage output is just way too high.