Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for showing off the Summon Friend. I found it disconcerting as hell when I realized it's the same goddamn pendant that you see in the AR movie, which also has one of the characters appearing through a portal if for a different reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose this guy's coming back as a random encounter at some point, then?

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Glazius posted:

I suppose this guy's coming back as a random encounter at some point, then?

Surprisingly, it won't.

The game's just very stingy about what's considered a true Boss in the bestiary. Asterisk holders are sorted under Bosses, as are other plot important bosses. Everything else is sorted into other subcategories.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 24: Waggling Eyebrows

Mission accomplished, so back to the Needleworks.

Then you did know! A word of warning might have helped, you old lech!

It's been so long since I set about crafting vestal garb, I'd completely forgotten.

Knowing this guy, that's actually plausible.

I believe you were in a hurry? I'll begin straight away. All the haste in the world won't see it done before tomorrow. Make yourselves at home till then, hm?

And the party does. That night:

Agnès...?

Pretty sure Tiz's hat can be seen over the clothing rack. Luckily, Agnès and the sage are distracted. Let's listen in!

Sir, do you remember this pendant?

I've treasured it like a good luck charm since I was a child. Ever since the day you gave it to me.

Hmm, that brings me back. I remember it well, child. I'm pleased you've held on to it all this while.

It gives me strength. In dark times, I would pray to it...talk to it. And the stone would lend me courage.

Keep it close and keep it safe. Some day it may serve you better still.

And the other girl... The one who was with me when last I was here. Do you remember her?

Oh, Little Olivia.

Yes. She serves now as the vestal of water. Sir, have you heard anything of her? Is she safe? The world's oceans began to fester the same day the darkness took the Wind Crystal.

It's the Crystal of Water that sustains the seas. I fear... I fear the same fate has struck the Temple of Water. Or worse...

I need to know if Olivia is safe, but I haven't the means or the time to seek her out.

I see...

Tell me, child. Would you care to share what else is on your mind?

...... ...I'm uncertain.

Until a few days ago, I lived a hermit's existence. Sequestered in the temple, surrounded by acolytes... I knew nothing of the world outside. Know nothing of it still.

How can I be sure in the face of that ignorance? How can I know that the path I walk is the right one?

Hmmm... Recent years have seen the people's hearts and minds turn from the Crystal Orthodoxy. Its practices are all but forgotten.

Yet even still, they regard the crystals and the vestals who tend them with an innate reverence. Carry out your duty and keep faith, my child. Therein lies the path the vestals show to all humanity.

...I'm still so weak. Compared to the mother vestal, I lack in everything! I could not stop the dark from swallowing up the crystal. I cost those women their lives...

And all the world's people... Kings and commoners alike, their eyes bore into me. Whether in expectation or disappointment, the weight is crushing.

They...they frighten me. I am unfit to show them the way forward. I barely trust my legs to carry myself alone...

But they have. Despite the blame and fear, you've fought this far for the world, and its people. Your fight is a noble one. Just and right, and beyond any reproach.

But now the time has come to set others upon that path. Guide them to follow in your steps. Just as the vestals have ever drawn upon the crystals' light to illuminate the way forward for all mankind, so must you.

Words are powerful things, my child. The vestals' words doubly so. They are a force capable of driving man to action. Of sustaining him in times of need.

You've walked your path for humanity's sake. Your love of this world has been your fuel. Now let your words be theirs. Share your path with them. They'll decide for themselves whether to follow or not. The world will choose as it may.

But if you open your heart and point the way, you'll ignite a spark of hope within the hearts of countless men and women.

Hope...

You sound like Tiz.

Oh? Already begun lighting those sparks, have you? Ho ho ho!

You'll reach them, child. Speak, and your words will find a home.

Then I had best choose them wisely.

Tiz sneaks back to bed. The rest of the night passes peacefully.

The next morning:

Mmm, I knew it. You're every bit the wonder I imagined!

It really suits you, Agnès!

Whether it suits me or not is of little importance. These vestments are a tool, and their purpose strictly ritual.

Phew... A night's work feels like seven at my age.

I thank you for your sacrifice, Sage. Your efforts will see the winds return.

Oh? If you really cared to thank me, you'd plant a kiss on my cheek.

Augh, you're shameless!

Is that another tradition surrounding the creation of the vestal garb?

No! It's the sad fantasy of a lecherous little toad!

That's Unacceptable # 7, for anyone wondering.

Ho ho ho! I do love a girl with a firm touch. Come back any time you've need of me. I'll do all I'm able.

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Thank you, sage.

Now, back to the temple!

But first, let's buy more from the foxy vendor.

More mythril from Eisenberg.

This is likely a reference to Tiger Mask, a manga from the 60s/70s, or one of the tons of Japanese wrestling stuff inspired by it since then.

...And more mythril. Eisenberg gear is all the rage.

After shopping, Ringabel pulls Tiz aside.

Huh? What is it?

Nothing at all. This is a matter between men, my dear.

Uh huh...

Last night, I chanced to awaken and notice you and Agnès were absent from your beds. What's more, you took your time coming back. Anything you'd care to confess, old chap?

Just what trouble does a stick-in-the-mud like you get up to?

Wha-- That's none of your business!

Oh, come on, out with it! All of it, every last sordid, juicy, scandalous morsel! Out!

...I woke up and saw she wasn't in her bed.

Yes? Yes!? Then what!?

I got out of bed to look for her.

Right, right. Sensible enough. Go on. Get to the good part!

I heard a sewing machine running, so I went to the sage's work space and found them talking.

What? Talk about a turn for the boring...

He listened to what was on her mind and offered her some advice.

I promised myself I'd do a better job of helping her, too.

Hmph. Yes. Alright. So, is that it, then?

That's it. What did you expect? We were only gone maybe fifteen minutes. And besides, why were you up?

Hm? Me? Er, you know...

Anyway, I nodded off after a few minutes of watching Edea sleep.

Yeah...

Ahem. Nothing at all, as I said! Eh, Tiz? Ha ha ha...

After saying goodbye to the sage, the party leaves.

Before returning to the Harena region, it's time to get in some battles to make up for me usually keeping the encounter rate at -100%.

Those bonuses are what you want to see for grinding. More exp, more JP, and the blue Sweeper bonus for more money, gotten by killing all enemies at once. At best, all three bonus types will be Hero.

Now we're prepared for whatever might happen.

At the foot of the temple, Tiz hesitates.

No, just... I was just thinking. About Norende, I mean.

What's the most efficient way to rebuild, do you think?

There is no bad time to talk about Norende.

Most efficient?

Right. Once we recruit people to help, how I do go about delegating work to them?

Hmm...

I haven't got a head for numbers.

Ah ha ha, me neither.

How about you, Ringabel?

Not much, I'm afraid. I don't even know how many girlfriends I have right now.

I've been beating my head against a wall thinking of who to date in what order...

Perhaps you're not hitting the wall hard enough. I'd be happy to help.

I suppose all we really need is simple division.

There are three buildings which each take three days to build. If I have three people to allot... Then assigning one person per building will take three days for all of them. Or, I put all three on one and build it in one day. That's still three days to build all three.

Wait, so there's no difference? Then why bother worrying about it?

It isn't the same, though. In the latter case, you have use of the first building after one day.

And the second after the second. It's a small difference, but a difference still. Assigning all three to each project earns the quickest gains, and may be most efficient.

Hey, you're right!

Agnès, showing off some smarts.

With that all-important issue solved, the party continues into the temple's crystal chamber.

I might be sick...

Wait. Something's here!

...! No... A monster's taken hold of the crystal!

Orthros!

Is it friendly?

Now what?

It stands between us and the crystal's awakening.

Then I don't suppose we've much choice!

Meet Orthros, the first serious boss of the game. It consists of two enemies, each head having separate HP and turn action.

The red head is weak to water and uses a multi-target flame breath attack.

The blue head is weak to fire and uses a multi-target ice breath attack.

Sometimes they'll combine the two into an even larger multi-target attack.

If you're lucky, they'll just do a single target bite that still hits for a ton.

Without a White Mage, damage mitigation is important. Part of the earlier job grinding included raising everyone's Black Mage job to level 4 for Abate Fire, decreasing the amount of fire damage they take.

After the blue head is taken out, the big stress of the battle is over.

Tiz doing what he does best: kill mercilessly.

Agnès stole a few battle items during the fight.

Final Fantasy bombs? Then shouldn't these descriptions read... Age of Fantasy?

Unlike the Dragon, Orthros is listed under the Bosses section in the Bestiary.

how long has that thing been inside the crystal?

The details can wait! First comes the Rite of Awakening!

I'll second that. I'm in no state to deal with any of that beast's friends right now.

Hurry, Agnès! You need to get ready!

Right!

Momentarily...

Then let's review how the rite works one last time.

I'm to focus my prayers on the crystal, yes?

Right. That will naturally align your breathing with the crystal's rhythm. Your life force will stir it awake. That will return the crystal to its normal state, but you mustn't stop there. Keep praying!

If you excite the crystal to just short of the breaking point then release that energy all at once, its effects will spread far and wide. There are a few important things to remember, though.

First, you're not to stop until I say! The flow of energy into the crystal could reverse. At its worst, that could be fatal.

I understand.

Last, everyone needs to keep their distance and stay absolutely silent. The rite places a huge burden on the vestal, physically and mentally. But even if she seems to be in pain, you can't come near her or the crystal. No matter what!

What do you mean, a huge burden? Is there any danger to Agnès?

There's nothing to worry about. I'll be right here watching to make sure of that!

Now, everyone but Agnès, step back!

All ready to begin?

...Ready.

So, here's the trick: during the Rite of Awakening, the player controls Agnès.

Pressing X sends a pulse of prayer to the crystal. It's not a rhythm game or anything -- just tap X...

...and the crystal reacts.

As the dark deposits break off,

the hum of the crystal increases.

Until eventually,

the Crystal of Wind returns.

Airy... Is it done!?

Not yet! Just a little longer!

Rgh...!

More! Keep going!

Keep tapping X.

Keep tapping X.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Crafting New Vestments
Like the Vestals of Old
To Stoke the Winds to Life
Bringer of Doom
The Crystal of Wind

Party Chat:
Ringabel's Reconnaissance
Delegating Work in Norende

D's Journal: Agnès Oblige posted:

pg.6: We visited the sage of Yulyana Woods to entreat him to make the garb necessary for the Rite of Awakening. After we retrieved the rainbow thread from the cave as requested, the sage worked through the night to complete the vestal garb. He and Agnès spoke until the early hours of the morning.

D's Journal: Sage Yulyana posted:

pg.2: It seems the vestal herself had to gather the rainbow thread for her vestal garb. Following the sage's instructions, we faced a number of challenges--even a dragon. After we retrieved the rainbow thread, the sage worked through the night to fashion it into the vestal garb. I hear the sage and Agnès spoke in hushed tones until dawn.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Scenes like that are why I can't dislike Yulyana. He has some very good advice for the party when he's serious.

Also, I had no idea about that NPC chatter regarding Orthros you posted a while back. That's pretty neat and probably an indication I should talk to NPCs more in RPGs.

And the tapping X thing is annoying. I would've preferred a cutscene.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 30, 2017

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Greyarc posted:

The back of Edea and Tiz's hoodies also feature an attached lock, complementing the Vogueish rogueish ensemble.
Just want to mention I really appreciate this particular line.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'll just say: There's a reason for it.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Scenes like that are why I can't dislike Yulyana. He has some very good advice for the party when he's serious.

Yup, this is the major redeeming quality I was talking about. He knows that Agnes is feeling bad and unsure about herself and her role in all this, and that what she needs is reassurance, not dirty jokes. He knew it wasn't the time for it, and shifted right into wise-old-sage mode.

Ringabel would've said something about orgasms being calming and/or confidence-building, and then offered to help her out. :v:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kemix posted:

I'll just say: There's a reason for it.

It still could've done with about half or a quarter of the "X" presses. :argh:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I absolutely adore the attack name Blazzard, for some unknown reason.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I know that was a mythologically accurate Orthros, but I'm still disappointed it wasn't a wisecracking octopus instead.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Cattail Prophet posted:

I know that was a mythologically accurate Orthros, but I'm still disappointed it wasn't a wisecracking octopus instead.

But the wisecracking octopus is Ultros. Completely different. :colbert:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Cattail Prophet posted:

We REALLY don't need more overlap with Final Fantasy. 13-2's coliseum DLC was painful enough. Though I did like the idea of Gilgamesh (voiced by a certain always-drunk robot) using guns for the first part of his fight absolutely hilarious. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Him using guns was great, but I would've thought that Gilgamesh already had enough arms. :v:

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Merchant

Merchants are an excuse to have posh outfits a utility job, with the gimmick of most of their abilities adding or taking from the party's monies.

Merchant is not a standard for Final Fantasy, though someone mentioned it was a class in side game Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, also made by the Bravely Default team.

Job icon is the classy top hat the guys wear. Command icon is a single gold token/pg (Bravely Default's currency), because what's more important to a true person of business?

Why are we bringing businessmen onto the battlefield, again? Fashion, because with intellect as their sole decent trait and below average vitality, their gameplay viability is limited.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Pay to Play: Spend level x 50 pg to raise target's critical rate by 300%. Max 1000%, lasts four turns.
Level 2 - Salesman: Attempt to convince enemy to buy recovery item for sell price x 2.4.
Level 3 - White Knight: When user is under 20% HP, ally with highest HP will take single-target physical damage in user's place. (Cost: 1)
Level 4 - Pharmacy: Purchase recovery item and use it on target. Costs standard amount of pg.
Level 5 - Hedge Risk: Take half damage, spending pg equal to damage not taken. Lasts five turns.
Level 6 - Takeover: Spend level x 50 pg to deal equivalent damage. Ignores Default.
Level 7 - BP Drink: Spend pg to restore BP to target. 1 BP = 1k pg, 2 BP = 10k pg, 3 BP = 100k pg.
Level 8 - Speculate: 50% chance to deal double damage, 50% chance to deal no damage. (Cost: 1)
Level 9 - More Money: Allows other jobs to equip the Merchant specialty. (Cost: 2)
Level 10 - Millionaire: Gives level x 25 pg to player who summons this move using Summon Friend.
Level 11 - Big Pharma: Restore enemy HP, gaining pg equal to amount restored.
Level 12 - Full Leverage: x2 damage, recovery, HP/MP/BP ability cost for battlefield. Lasts five turns.
Level 13 - Low Leverage: Half damage, recovery, HP/MP/BP ability cost for battlefield. Lasts five turns.
Level 14 - Payoff: Spend money to end battle. Obtain pg, exp, and JP as normal. Amount spent increases chance of success.

Merchant specializes in strange, special case, funnily named abilities. Since most rely on cash, a true battle-ready Merchant isn't possible until late in the game or with a lot of grinding.

The best Merchant ability, money gain x 1.5.

NOTE: despite the ability stating in-game it stacks when multiple characters use it, it does not. It does, however, stack with money-boosting items.

This round, everyone's outfits are based on mid 1800s-early 1900s U.S. fashion. The guy outfits include top hats, capes over upperclass menswear, and oversized pocketwatches. The gals do the southern belle look, including hoop skirts and jewelry large as money can buy.

Sorry to say, everyone's hats are too grand and get cut off on the game screen. Upside is, this way you can imagine the top hats extending for eternity.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Merchant's Stat Modifiers:

HP: 0%
MP 0%
STR: 0%
VIT: -20%
INT: +10%
MND: 0%
DEX: 0%
AGI: 0%

Yeah, nothing special here.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Surprised at that S for Spears.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Surprised at that S for Spears.

You know what else merchants are good at other than money? Giving people the shaft. Like good ol' Profiteur.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I think Big Pharma is the skill where you can just attack - heal - attack - heal for pg.

I definitely understand the need for more money in every video game.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

EponymousMrYar posted:

You know what else merchants are good at other than money? Giving people the shaft. Like good ol' Profiteur.

Goddammit. Now they're even slipping puns into the jobs! :argh:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I think Big Pharma is the skill where you can just attack - heal - attack - heal for pg.

I definitely understand the need for more money in every video game.
Yes, but it's super slow. As in, "rubber band down the A button and leave the game running overnight" slow, IIRC. Unless I'm sorely mistaken it gives double-digit healing (and thus pg) each use. Which works okay on a console connected directly to a wall socket; not so well on a battery-powered handheld.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Goddammit. Now they're even slipping puns into the jobs! :argh:
Considering most of the Merchant's skills are business-related puns, I'm not sure why you're surprised by this.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Commander Keene posted:

Yes, but it's super slow. As in, "rubber band down the A button and leave the game running overnight" slow, IIRC. Unless I'm sorely mistaken it gives double-digit healing (and thus pg) each use.
You are - the videos I saw show 1100-1500.

You still want the rubber band.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Loads of money.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish everyone had a stereotypical snooty accent while in this job.

"I do declare, this is highly unacceptable, Mr. Ringabel."

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ulmont posted:

I dunno - maybe I just tried the ability as soon as I got it or something and then abandoned it as a bad idea and forgot about it. Or maybe there's some optimizing I didn't do.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

ulmont posted:

You don't need the rubber band, the game has an auto battle feature to repeat your last set of inputs :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Pharmacy will completely restore the HP of the target, and give you that much PG. So if you just scratched a guy with a crappy dagger, then yeah, Pharmacy isn't going to do much. If you spent the turn laying into them, you will see better returns. Of course, there is still the "my party might die while I'm not paying attention" issue. There are, of course, ways around this. I made a ton of money by having a resource-free party wide heal go off, two people whacked a target, and then Tiz used Pharmacy. Set that for auto and do something else for a while, checking occasionally to make sure nobody died. Remember to kill the enemies so you can cash out and save every now and then in case of unforeseen difficulties.

Of course, the big issue here is that Pharmacy is at job level 11, so by the time you have it, you can probably do just as well financially by just cranking up the encounter rate and vaporizing everything. Unless, of course, you employ a system which we haven't seen yet.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

MechaCrash posted:

Of course, the big issue here is that Pharmacy is at job level 11, so by the time you have it, you can probably do just as well financially by just cranking up the encounter rate and vaporizing everything. Unless, of course, you employ a system which we haven't seen yet.

That system is so loving broken it hurts. And yet I love every little bit of it. Though It'll be a while before our LPer gets to a decent place to actively show it off. I think somewhere around the half-way mark.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I think I got it in Chapter 5?

But it's kinda boring. Really boring.

I spent just enough time on it to upgrade my equipment (or to buy that one bow that unlocks in Norende).

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 25: The Wind, Awakened

Last time:

We're a good listener, so once Airy said to stop, we stopped.

It is possible to disobey by continuing to press X, but after Airy gives us another warning, Agnès will stop on her own to prevent, dunno, her own death or something.

...Did it work?

Tiz, if the crystal were any shinier it'd burn your eyes out.

The Rite of Awakening was a great success! You were amazing, Agnès! I never dreamed it'd go this well!

The ritual clearly took a toll on Agnès. She sounds winded.

That was supposed to happen, then? My heart nearly stopped. I thought something had gone wrong and the whole thing was exploding.

I'll bet they saw that flash from Ancheim.

Your memory's returned?

Are you alright, Agnès? Anything we can do?

I'm fine. Thank you.

Oh, look! Look! One of the gems on my brooch is shining!

That's proof of the Wind Crystal's release!

Then the entire brooch will look like that? Once we've finished with all four crystals?

That's right! Only three to go!

Well, for now let's head back to town. The wind should be returning, right?

For successfully awakening the crystal, the party's awarded a gameplay upgrade.

With two ability slots, you can start mixing and matching or equip a 2 cost ability.

I'm sure the people of Ancheim will be happy!

Yes, with the wind returned, the kingdom can go back to its former, peaceful ways.

Let's hurry back and report. I want to see that lousy king squirm!

I'm still mad at what he did to you before, Agnès.

Mark my words, he's black as tar!

You agree with me, don't you? You have to!

Not all of us are so set on seeing the world in terms of black and white, Edea. Our task was to awaken the wind crystal, and so we have. It has nothing to do with making anyone squirm.

Just watch, though. I bet he'll try to make everyone work just as hard, even with the wind back.

What? But that's not...

Still, isn't it better if we head him off before he gets the chance?

Head him off how?

Step one is making it darned clear that it was Agnès that brought the wind back.

And how do we do that?

Talk is cheap. We show them proof!

...Ah!

Wonder what the party's plotting?

Let's see how their plan shakes out.

Sounds like a large, angry crowd. Also, the windmills and the wind still aren't moving. Off to a good start.

Oh, no.

After abandoning our kingdom to its fate, the vestal then came slinking back to these borders to beg my forgiveness. And forgive her I did, for I saw naught to be gained from excoriating a girl for her egregious failures.

My clemency was met with willful pride! She promised to return the wind to motion single-handedly!

The vestal failed to restore the wind, and brought still greater calamity upon our heads! As proof, look no further than the stagnant air around you! I can but blame my own wishful ignorance for this latest turn of events. I ought never have entrusted this matter to a relic of a bygone era!

The Crystal Orthodoxy is a dream of the past. The vestal, obsolete! Her inability to ensure the crystal's function is manifest! Join me, my people! Let us rely upon the vestal no longer! It is our own efforts that will see this kingdom saved!

The labor service is your sacred duty--your pride as citizens! All who work beyond twenty hours a day will receive a royal commendation! And in the wake of this tribulation, Ancheim will emerge a new land! Our new history begins now!

Agnès, come to save the day. No one else would be so effective at shutting him up.

Lying witch! Then why does the air remain still!

The king may be right...

Oops. Guess the party's plan didn't extend that far.

Don't be afraid. The footsteps you've carved will be a guide to these people, Agnès. They just need a light to show the way.

...A spark of hope. Please, give me the courage...

The winds that washed over this land without end for so long stopped. A vast darkness split the earth in the kingdom of Caldisla. An entire village was devoured.

The seas fester. Fish wash up upon our shores, twisted and lifeless. Even ships are unsafe from this corrosion. All the world's people--all life is crying out in pain. Your suffering is mirrored in every corner of existence. I was dispatched by His Majesty to leave these borders and survey the damage first-hand.

My conclusion is absolutely certain. The four crystals have been clouded over with a powerful darkness. On my return, I found the Crystal of Wind in the clutches of a terrible monster. Its influence had sealed away the crystal's light entirely.

Bah! You reward our patience with fabrications and fantasy! Utterly ridiculous!

I present this to you as proof!

Wait, this whole scene seems familiar.

That explains where the party got their plan.

That can't... It's only a legend! A story from the old Crystalist scriptures!

Unfortunately, one we never hear in detail.

Then Orthros was no legend. And the vestal's slain it!

Preposterous! The chain's a fake, like your ridiculous story! There's still no wind!

The wind is coming! Two thousand years the vestals have prayed. Their lives have been the crystal's nourishment. And now...

She's right. The wind...

The wind has returned!

Ahh, the winds are back!

The Grand Mill! It's turning!

The vestal's done it!

She's saved us all!

Of course you did! And they love you for it. They've found new hope in your words!

You were amazing, Agnès! And vestals are a force for good. That speech struck any doubt from my mind!

They're all calling out to you. Go on and answer them!

You're a savior to the kingdom, Lady Vestal. A savior to all of us!

And at such a young age! The vestals are a blessing upon this world!

Forgive us for failing to aid you when the winds stopped. We were lost!

Please, continue to guide the winds, and this nation's people! Lead, and we will follow!

But I fear I cannot stay.

I must join with the other vestals and see that all mankind is ransomed from this terrible threat. That is my duty as a vestal of the crystals.

It pains me to leave your side again so soon. I ask your patience, and your forgiveness.

We thought only of our own misfortunes, but the vestal...

Lady Vestal! Know that you go with all our prayers! Please, help them! Help the others as you've helped us!

Be strong, Lady Vestal!

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] I thank you... Your faith moves me beyond words. I shall see this task complete, and then return to you. I swear!

I am king! KING! And a king does not forget his enemies! Aughhh...

After some time, the crowd disperses and the party regroups.

Just look at the sky! The clouds are practically racing along!

Mmm, that breeze feels incredible!

Doubly so, after a job well done!

All of Ancheim's people were so thankful...

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] One girl said that thanks to the wind, her father is able to come home again.

I heard, "We can all eat as a family again"!

Or, "Now we can fly kites!" You should have seen the kids' grins.

"All the skirts ruffling in the breeze make me feel alive."

Gee, I wonder who said THAT.

Ha ha ha! In any case, we've got the wind at our back, now!

There are a lot of people around with all the excitement. Let's see how happy they are for ourselves.

The wind has returned to us, just as you have. You've saved us all, Lady Vestal.

Lady Vestal! Please, show us the way. I beg you!

All this is thanks to you, Lady Vestal. I am more grateful than I can say.

The wind is back, thanks to the Lady Vestal! I can't thank you enough! I'm liable to get fat from lack of exercise now, ha ha ha!

Welcome, Lady Vestal. You are ever welcome here.

This story arc's wrapped up in a tidy bow. Another town saved.

Is there some secret inside they don't want us seeing?

Wh--this paranoid lady again. C'mon, we've solved every--

Oh, right. Maybe we aren't done here.

We're overdue to have a private chat with the king.

I haven't seen His Majesty since...well, since the Lady Vestal's speech, I suppose. I wonder why not...

So, the king's busy having a tantrum. We'll come back later and see if he's recovered.

Nothing more to do in Ancheim for the moment. The party heads out of town.

It's the king's right-hand man. Haven't seen him outside the palace before.

Forgive me. I am Prime Minister Dominus Harena. Your words to the people shook me to my core. Between you and me, I suspect they rattled the king's cage as well. He looked positively deflated.

Small wonder. Having his little speech so thoroughly derailed must have been a blow to his royal ego. It will recover, though. It always does. Meanwhile, where will you go from here?

Looks like someone's ready to change political alliances.

To Florem, Land of Radiant Flowers, and the Water Crystal.

I see. But how will you manage the journey with the seas unnavigable?

You might travel by land, but the forests along the way are suffused with a noxious fog. The path is most dangerous.

Seems we're blocked on all sides. Any ideas?

No, but the sage of the Yulyana Woods may know some way.

Then it's to the airship, and to Yulyana and beyond! Say the word, Agnès, and I shall lend wings to your every whim!

Just to Yulyana, please.

After chatting a bit longer with the Prime Minister, the party leaves.

Hm? What did he give us? It's...a piece of paper. Great.

Don't be silly, my angel. This is the bill of goods. They'll be sent to the ship later. First off, there's the food. He's arranged for bread, cured meat, salted grassbeans...

Fruit celery, green turnips, two barrels of pickled pink eggplant, Clocktower brand Firaga sauce...

Then a brand of Ancheim's most tooth-rotting desserts. They do like their sugar.

There's at least two weeks' provisions here.

Past food, there's... Ah! Berthing permission for the Eschalot! That'll come in handy.

We can take on water, oil, even ammunition. Truly, the man is a bureaucratic wizard.

Sounds like we'll have a little party waiting for us at the ship!

A party? We must make for Florem as soon as humanly possible.

Well, as soon as possible is at least half a day from now, given the time to load all this.

Right. I think we've all earned at least that much of a rest. Let's enjoy it while we can.

The logistics of how Ancheim is related to the port are never clearly explained. Despite how they appear on the world map and are described in D's journal, the game's script doesn't act like the two are a desert apart.

Now that we're on the world map, suspicions are confirmed: we aren't done in Ancheim. The ship can wait; we're going back to town to get some answers.

Next: Agnès Oblige, hero of the people by day, dispenser of vigilante justice by night.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
The Wind Crystal Awakened
Lengthening Labor
Sit and Stay are Tricks for Dogs
The Vestal's Voice Finds a Home
A Heroine's Departure

Party Chat:
Proof, Not Promises
The Wind Returns
The Minister's Generosity

D's Journal: Agnès Oblige posted:

pg.7: Agnès held the Tempest's Braid aloft, and the crowd's whispers turned to cheers. We slew the creature Orthros, who had latched onto the crystal in the Temple of Wind. Then, at Airy's bidding, we performed the Rite of Awakening. After returning to Ancheim, Agnès silenced the king's criticism and addressed the people. As her speech ended, the wind returned!

D's Journal: Airy posted:

pg.3: As we reached the crystal with vestal garb ready, we found a creature latched onto it. Airy identified it as Orthros, the Bringer of Doom. We defeated the monster, and under Airy's guidance, Agnès awakened the Wind Crystal and banished the darkness around it to restore its shield. The wind crest on Airy's brooch lit up.

D's Journal: Khamer VIII posted:

pg.4: Seeing an ominous light at the temple where the vestal had headed, and noting the wind had not returned, the king of Ancheim saw his chance and gleefully addressed his people. However, Agnès appeared and held the Tempest's Braid aloft, and before the crowd's eyes the wind began to blow again. Vexed and embarrassed, the king confined himself to his chambers.

D's Journal: Prime Minister Harena posted:

pg.2: A 39-year-old man from the Harena region. His keen mind worked behind the scenes to bring the kingdom back from the brink of exhaustion. He is descended from the Harena dynasty, which preceded the current one.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: Foolish royal despots

D's Journal: Ancheim, the Land of Sand and Time posted:

The Vibrant City: Returning to Ancheim after awakening the Wind Crystal, we found that the wind blows across the desert city once more. Its great windmills turn swiftly, powered by the southern winds, and across the city, the gears have sprung back to life. In hushed tones, the prime minister noted that joy and vitality have returned to the people.

D's Journal: Temple of Wind posted:

The Awakening: Arrayed in her vestal garb, Agnès chanted the ritual prayer to awaken the Wind Crystal, which had been swallowed up in darkness. The crystal has now regained its radiance and is protected by a magic barrier.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 1, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think Airy's dialogue if you continue is something along the lines of: "Stop! That's it!" "I said stop!" "Noooo! It's too much, it's going to break!"

And then you're automatically stopped.

Also gently caress Khamer. This scene was really cathartic after all of his self-indulgent ranting.

Edit: Here are the songs for this update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_HUw7F5vQY (Agnès and Yulyana talk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTN6uLgAW2Y (Crystal awakened)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yuvGRQbE9g (Agnès' speech in Ancheim)

Greyarc posted:

You were amazing, Anges!

Typo.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 1, 2017

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Figured that typo would make it into an update sooner or later. Fixed.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Probably the best part in video games is when you get to shut up that one arrogant guy who thinks he's above everyone else.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Strange, I thought we were gonna get a coup. Alas, alas.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, there's still a sidequest icon, I don't think we're done with the king yet.

Though I don't think these people have the right attitude for turning on their king, hell when he was riling them up and throwing shade at our heroes the best they could muster is "why aren't you fixing the problem Wind Vestal :qq:"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kinda hard to work up a righteous anger when you're working 20 hour days.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Which means we'll be back when they're good an rested and can get right riled at the King for us.
Also Clocktower brand Firaga sauce isn't nearly as good as Mom Bomb's Hot Pepper Firaja Sauce.

Then again you can't get chocobo's away from that stuff...

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Something tells me a king is about to get dethroned if he keeps up his petulant temper tantrums. Plus, there IS the thing we couldn't get into earlier.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an awful lot of knowledge about some random legendary chain, Kingy.

...jesus dick did these people set legendary monsters on their meal ticket to rack up the price?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wouldn't put it past Profiteur to set up a giant monster to hike up well prices. That being said, it's a story from the Crystalist Scriptures as he notes.

And, as Greyarc said, this is the only time such a thing ever comes up. I wonder if some details were cut from the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 26: Time to Pay

Under the cover of darkness, the party returns to Ancheim.

The merchantry at night. Still empty. No matter, we've taken what we needed from here.

Talking casually to the guard in front of the palace reveals no change in the king. We'll have to do this the hard way.

What? YOU made the wind blow again!? Whoaaa!

The town is mostly empty, but that won't stop this fellow from having a party.

The Grand Mill door now has a light blue strip in front, meaning it's a usable entrance. It's also the source of our blue exclamation point.

What do you know? The guard's gone. Now's our chance.

An empty mill. Seems harmless enough.

There's a door in the back.

If Profiteur hasn't been defeated, checking the door prompts this:

And the party won't bother investigating further.

But after stopping Profiteur, we know there's more here than meets the eye.

It's just after midnight. Tiz knocks on the door five times, at two second intervals, as mentioned in Profiteur's notes.

Seems this is the spot mentioned in that memo we found.

Our reward is the final dungeon of Chapter 1.

The secret of Ancheim's corruption is hidden here. We're going to track it down.

Unsurprisingly, the party runs into opposition. Kill these fellows quickly and there's no problem.

Even with Profiteur dead, the Merchantry doesn't skimp on defenses.

The dungeon is split down the middle. Need to go up to the second level and over to get across.

In a change of pace, the Adventurer is near the entrance. The area behind him is, as usual, the end of the dungeon. The trick is figuring out how to get past that gate. There are connecting gears on either side. If both sides are activated via conspicuous switches, the gate will open.

First gate switch is down a short path to the right of the gate.

The dungeon is a small maze. This treasure room is hiding off in a corner.

A pair of knuckles and a stick with a figurine on the end. We'll be meeting this game's take on the alraune/mandrake soon.

Due to RPG building design, the second switch for the left side of the gate can only be accessed by navigating through a maze of corridors and staircases.

The unopened chest is the blue one in the treasure room.

The last place reached in the dungeon is the second switch. Pull it and the gate opens.

Return to Adventurer, save properly, pass through the gate, and use one last lever inside.

The surrounding machinery clunks and jitters. The gate closes the party in.

After a minute the party steps out to their destination.

The rooftops of Ancheim. A pathway leads to the east, with an entrance at the end.

We're in front of the buildings but behind the turning windmills.

Cross a rickety bridge from one building to another...

And reach a door above... the palace?

The king wasn't willing to see us, so we've come to see him.

In a short time, Agnès has gone from beginner's thief to sneaking into palaces. She's got a knack.

A closeup of the clock behind Khamer's throne. The cherubs are a modest touch.

Tiz forgets to use his indoor voice. Luckily all the machines are making a racket.

Shhh! Someone's coming!

Calm down.

How do you expect me to be calm!?

And the merchantry! That incompetent Profiteur's failures threaten to bring everything crashing down!

Time and again, that oil-slicked little rat assured me all was going to plan. And, like a fool, I trusted him! With everything! With claiming the wells, inflating the price of water, that bungled arrangement with the thieves! I gave the merchantry free rein!

The plan was sound. Have the merchantry cut off the water supply, eroding the peoples' resolve. Mandate heavy labor--"for the good of the kingdom," of course--to sow further dissent. Ancheim was a powder keg.

Any spark would do. Some trifling grievance to turn the brunt of all that built-up frustration on the vestal. The Orthodoxy's lingering hold on the people's hearts and minds would be broken, and the age of Anticrystalism would begin.

Khamer sounds sincere here, for once.

Only by dashing to the ground their faith in these stones and the vestals can my vision for Ancheim's advancement be realized! A glorious new era is right before our eyes! It was so nearly within reach, and now my plan is ruined!

Why, Khint? How has this happened!? Now the rabble will listen to none but the vestal! Ooh, it's a complete disaster! I should never have relied on an ignoramus like Profiteur... My plan was perfect!

That reliance on your scheming was the reason it failed. Meanwhile, the vestal speaks without a thought in her head. There's your why.

The question was rhetorical, spell fencer! But very well. If finesse has failed, so be it. I'll kill the girl and lay claim to the crystal. With that done, the winds will be at my fingertips. I can power the turbines or control the miasma as I see fit!

Your Highness is ever the optimist. Are you so confident this new plan will fare better, time mage?

That explains the strange headgear. Somewhat.

It must. The people must be shown that the vestal has no place in my new reign, or in the future of Ancheim!

Here to right wrongs and fight injustice... it's Agnès and her sidekicks!

Regardless, I am here. I heard everything.

Seems this scandal goes all the way up.

I knew you were an unpleasant man, but this is outright evil.

For a king to wish suffering on his own people... This cannot stand!

You're a poor actor, King!

You have some proof, then? Some evidence to show that I made these comments? Hah!

He's like a child caught in a lie...

No! Of course no such proof exists! I know you lot are plotting to tear me from the throne, but it won't work! It won't!

As it happens, we do have proof, but I don't expect we'll have need of it.

Ask yourself this: given your word against the vestal's, which do you think the people will believe?

Have you no shame? No sense of duty to those you rule!

You! YOU! This is all your doing, vestal! If you weren't here, none of this would... Yes... You can't be here any longer. Can't be anywhere, in fact. Your final silence will be the fanfare that heralds my renewed reign!

It seems the man's beyond remorse.

Spell Fencer Ciggma Khint! Name your price. Empty the kingdom's coffers, if you like! Whatever it takes, I want these vermin dead!

I pick my clients for their pocketbooks, not their moral fiber. I'll not grow scruples now.

Next: An ending, a beginning, a fateful meeting, and a strange miss.

--

Event Viewer
Sub-Scenario:
The End of the Mill Works
The Mill Works Passage
Shadows over Ancheim
The King Unmasked