Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
no it's because i don't live on a floodplain, rather, I live on the glorious bastion of bourgeois money where all the poors around me get washed away but I am fine

there's one low crossing but after than I am set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Another human sacrifice.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-dies-after-being-ejected-from-car-following-bathurst-police-chase-20170329-gv9fnc.html

quote:

Man dies after being ejected from car following Bathurst police chase

A man has died and another man is seriously injured in hospital after their car crashed following a police pursuit in the NSW central west. Both men were ejected from the car in the single vehicle crash in South Bathurst, near the intersection of Lloyds Road and Vale Road, police said

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Sine the populace don't carry guns they don't have many other excuses to kill people do they.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

The primal part of me just wants to say "Good", but I realise someone dying and another seriously injured isn't really good in any circumstances. But I don't know how you form an anti-police stance on the back of someone failing to stop for police, then driving dangerously to evade them until they eventually lost control and were ejected from the vehicle, presumably because they weren't wearing seatbelts.

I'm glad no one else univolved in the pursuit was injured, and I think there needs to be an investigation as to whether members of the public were subjected to unacceptable risk by the decisions made by the pursuing police. But I'm finding it very hard to be sympathetic with the men in the car.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It happened at Bathurst which is the home of competitive idiocy, so whatever.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You don't have to be sympathetic to the people being chased to say cops should stop chasing people. It's a loving stupid tactic that they continue to use because they're hosed in the head adrenaline junkies and don't give a poo poo about people around them. If they weren't paid to do it, they'd probably be the people being ejected from cars at high speed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You don't have to be sympathetic to the people being chased to say cops should stop chasing people. It's a loving stupid tactic that they continue to use because they're hosed in the head adrenaline junkies and don't give a poo poo about people around them. If they weren't paid to do it, they'd probably be the people being ejected from cars at high speed.

Yeah pretty much this. If you've got their license plate unless they're posing a serious threat to others that isn't made worse by them fleeing at high speed, then just wait for them at home.

If the car's stolen? Is it worth killing people over a stolen vehicle? Where's the least harm to the community here?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hooman posted:

If the car's stolen? Is it worth killing people over a stolen vehicle? Where's the least harm to the community here?

The trouble with this is that stolen cars are almost entirely used to commit more crimes. Almost all of the stolen cars we get at work are also being investigated for multiple burglaries.

I broadly agree with you that a car chase isn't the right way to go about it, but a stolen car usually means someone intent on committing a lot more offences.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Bag em and tag em that's what I always say.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Is it worth killing people over burglaries?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What if the burglars kill or harm someone innocently living their life? Also they crashed the car, they weren't murdered.

What about the ham head that drove through Bourke St mall?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No, but to say it's just a stolen car isn't accurate (in most cases).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

JBP posted:

What about the ham head that drove through Bourke St mall?

Also shouldn't have been chased.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Employment Minister Michaelia Cash tried to explain this to Melbourne radio host Neil Mitchell earlier this morning.

CASH: Basically the role of the government when it comes to providing information to the commission on the minimum wage review is to put in contemporary economic information to help the Commission determine what level of increase ...

MITCHELL: I understand all that, what do you mean by the low paid workers are often found in high income households?

CASH: Well basically, what we look at is completely all of the information that is provided and what we say to the commission is you need to ensure that you take in to account the economic outlook that in particular, in particular, how we are going to support employers...

MITCHELL: Yes, I understand all that. But what do you mean by…

CASH: ... you have high income person in the household...

MITCHELL: Oh dear...

CASH: … but then you'll often have a second person in the household that doesn't necessarily earn as much money.

It gets worse.

MITCHELL: What's this line mean, quote "low income workers are often found in high income households". What does that mean?

CASH: Again, often what it is is that they will have another partner that has a high income but and they are part of the contribution to that household's income.

MITCHELL: And what percentage of the low income workers are in that position?

CASH: Well as I said there's only about 200,000 workers that are actually paid at the minimum wage and that is why when you actually look at where the majority of workers lie, the vast majority of people are paid under awards and they actually receive more.

MITCHELL: I understand that, but what percentage of the 200,000 as you say in your submission found in high income households?

CASH: Well, it's not so much what percentage…

MITCHELL: Well of course it is!

CASH: No no no, because you've actually got to look at the minimum wage review in to…to you can't just literally pick and choose one sentence. So when you look at all of the information that the Government has provided to the minimum wage submission, and again it doesn't matter who is in power, it's contemporary economic information.

MITCHELL: Well you tell me. What does it mean "are often found in high-income households"? How many of the 200,000 people struggling along on $17.70 an hour are coming from high-income households, how relevant is the minimum wage in that case?

CASH: Oh look, can I tell you, the minimum wage is absolutely relevant and no one denies that.

MITCHELL: Minister, you don't have a figure here, do you?

CASH: No, no, no…what is…it's not that we don't have a figure Neil…

MITCHELL: You do have a figure? Give it to me!

CASH: It's very much that you need to look at the minimum wage review as a whole, okay?

MITCHELL: You've put this argument that - I agree you're putting other arguments as well - but you've put this argument that many of the people on the lowest wage are actually coming from wealthier households. How many of them?

CASH: OK, OK.

MITCHELL: That's a simple point, how many, what percentage?

CASH: No, OK, I don't have the figure, OK, but it's not as simple as that, as I said, you pick and choose a particular line from the submission and then what you then lose is the totality of what the submission…

And worse.

MITCHELL: But Minister, please, please, I understand that, I think we all understand that. The point is, in political terms this line from your department, this line from the Government about low-paid workers being found in high-income households is poison. The electorate will look at that and say 'You elite lot'. I mean, how many of the middle-aged women going and cleaning toilets in hotels today are going home to a rich sugar daddy?

CASH: No, no, no, please…

MITCHELL: That is what you're saying here.

CASH: No, no, I really… No, no, no. I do take issue with that because that is not…

MITCHELL: Quote, "are often found in high income households".

CASH: But again, what you would do, you are taking one sentence and you are distorting the fact.

MITCHELL: Alright, I give up.

The really bad thing about the interview is that the government didn't have to make a submission to the Fair Work Commission.

It chose to do so. Which means all of this could have been avoided.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Kim Jong ill posted:

The primal part of me just wants to say "Good", but I realise someone dying and another seriously injured isn't really good in any circumstances. But I don't know how you form an anti-police stance on the back of someone failing to stop for police, then driving dangerously to evade them until they eventually lost control and were ejected from the vehicle, presumably because they weren't wearing seatbelts.

I'm glad no one else univolved in the pursuit was injured, and I think there needs to be an investigation as to whether members of the public were subjected to unacceptable risk by the decisions made by the pursuing police. But I'm finding it very hard to be sympathetic with the men in the car.
There is the entirely utilitarian arguement:

Theft of motor car and subsequent crime spree: Punishable by ten years(?) jail. We have no death penalty therefore this is entirely out of all proportion to the actual crime or any likely subsequent crime.

But as has been pointed out the police actively seek out pursuits and continue them in circumstances where a tragedy is the only likely outcome. These guys were driving a Hyundai Tucson and this is apparently too mighty a speed machine for any police vehicle to intercept and box in or indeed be sent into a pre-laid spike strip because as we all well know there is only one police car in NSW and no radio available :jerkbag:

There is no great mystery here. The cost to the community of police pursuits is out of all proportion to the value of the enforcement.

And for the record I have zero sympathy for the men in the car. What they did was dumb. Not wearing a seatbelt was dumb. None the less until we start formalising the death penalty for being dumb then we should look at other forms of harm minimisation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also shouldn't have been chased.

Should have been apprehended with immediacy.

Also he had a loving hostage...

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 30, 2017

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
They won't be committing any more crimes in their stolen cars if they're dead or in the ICU :colbert:

The Australian ran a front-page story about Sally McManus supposedly faking her CV by lying about being on the Macquarie Uni student union council in the 90s. Turns out they were actually being lazy idiots by not noticing or bothering to find out that the student union and the student council were two separate things, and she was in the union, not the council. Top quality journalism right here.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wonder where they're getting the info from, I tried to look it up and I can't find any statistics in the normal places that break down household income by personal income.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Every time I am pulled over on a motorway or highway, I saw the highway patrol sitting in their speed trap and without fault they will let me get 3-5kms down the road before they pull out onto the road and put the sirens on so they can haul arse to catch up to me.

Im never speeding, its always for a 'random' breath test and its just an excuse for them to floor it in the V8 boats they get given. Im sure the type of car I drive doesnt help avoid the attention but that in itself is not an offence.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

I wonder where they're getting the info from, I tried to look it up and I can't find any statistics in the normal places that break down household income by personal income.

As revealed in the interview above, they don't have any info, they're full of poo poo. They have no statistics of how many people on minimum wage living in high income households and are just throwing bullshit around to see what will stick against raising the minimum wage.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Idiots outside my house are already driving through flood water. All schools closed, flash flooding warnings.

Stay safe Qld goons.

WRT that Cash interview, what kind of advisors are giving her dumb lines, she's already proven she can't talk her way out of them.

Also the only reason the Hun would go Bishop is the readerships fury at the rorting. They do want to sell papers sometimes.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

As revealed in the interview above, they don't have any info, they're full of poo poo. They have no statistics of how many people on minimum wage living in high income households and are just throwing bullshit around to see what will stick against raising the minimum wage.
Maybe, I think there might be an element of truth to it if you ignore the context in which people live, and it's hardly a reason not to raise minimum wage. Like five people on low wages sharing a house, which could put the household into a high income category despite no one living there being particularly well off.

I'd be interested to see what the figures look like.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

the only dataset i can think of that could provide that info is HILDA, which isn't available publicly.

but it's available to me. i'll check the numbers.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

BBJoey posted:

the only dataset i can think of that could provide that info is HILDA, which isn't available publicly.

but it's available to me. i'll check the numbers.

quote:

https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/sites/wagereview2017/submissions/ausgovsub.pdf
Analysis using the HILDA Survey shows that, in general, low paid workers are more likely to be young, female, single or without children. They also have varied living standards and levels of household income with nearly half of low paid workers in the top 50 per cent of household income.

Yeah, I'd look it up but it might breach the ethics agreement to post quick and dirty stuff from HILDA online. Would be worth looking at what proportion of those low payed workers in high income households are living with their parents.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/847227741594202112

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress I forgot my footy tips last week.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Ten Becquerels posted:

The Australian ran a front-page story about Sally McManus supposedly faking her CV by lying about being on the Macquarie Uni student union council in the 90s. Turns out they were actually being lazy idiots by not noticing or bothering to find out that the student union and the student council were two separate things, and she was in the union, not the council. Top quality journalism right here.

Yes and the "correction" piece was headlined "Sally McManus clarifies Macquarie Uni student union past", to give the impression that she's had to explain her actions, rather than "Unprofitable chip wrapper makes hash of yet another hatchet piece"

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 30, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

High speed car chases are the polices most sacred duty and if I'm ever cleaned up while walking a dog or just standing near the road by a maniac trying to lose the police or by the maniac in uniform following them I'll die happy knowing justice was done

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

open24hours posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a typical Tory "Feelpinion", with no actual basis in fact or figures.

If the statement had any factual basis, they would surely have cited the relevant report or used the actual figures, rather than using vague language like "Many high income households".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

High speed car chases are the polices most sacred duty and if I'm ever cleaned up while walking a dog or just standing near the road by a maniac trying to lose the police or by the maniac in uniform following them I'll die happy knowing justice was done

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

shockingly the proportion of people on low wages who live in a household with someone on a high wage is negligible 🤔

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

If it was my stuff they burgled, sure.

But if they steal from the political porkies then I'll be cheering them on Ned Kelly style.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
What about chaining your butler to baby grand in your drawing room? Or tethering the live-in gardner to the front door of the plant room that supplies the fountains dotted about the grounds? Does that count as having a low income earner living in a high income household?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BBJoey posted:

shockingly the proportion of people on low wages who live in a household with someone on a high wage is negligible 🤔

Richard di Natalie's au pair doesn't count because she was under the minimum wage, not on it.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...329-gv9cto.html

Farkin hell, first Swan now Keating.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This is good

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

All the hubhub about Canberra suburbs arose my curiosity.What's the reputation of Narrabundah or itss history.I though it was a living storage for swarthy fellows back in the day (when my father bought his house) and some white racists but I would be helpful for some info.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Narrabundah is almost like two separate suburbs, the part near Griffith is nice and the part near Fyshwick is not so nice. It used to be a low income suburb and, to a lesser extent, it still is, but it's improving rapidly and the location is good.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

open24hours posted:

Narrabundah is almost like two separate suburbs, the part near Griffith is nice and the part near Fyshwick is not so nice. It used to be a low income suburb and, to a lesser extent, it still is, but it's improving rapidly and the location is good.

Guess I should know ,the only memories of the place I have is getting into fights with kids and my mother's being run deliberately by a neighbor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a typical Tory "Feelpinion", with no actual basis in fact or figures.

If the statement had any factual basis, they would surely have cited the relevant report or used the actual figures, rather than using vague language like "Many high income households".

Well you see that even though a family might be making $400,000 in salary, once you factor in private school fees, BMW leases, mortgage payments on their Bronte house and the bare minimum 3 overseas trips a year, they're actually struggling.

Also, that $400,000 salary is only about $30,000 taxable due to 6 negatively geared properties, furthermore.....

• Locked thread