Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

Crimson doesn't even have a wiki page.

He was into stage acting back when he accepted my friend request. He and Navy do cons.

One thing Disney did right when they handled the move to NZ was they basically searched the Aussie world of drama theatre for their actors. Saban initially prioritized athletic prowess over acting chops, so you had a lot of gymnasts and karate masters who can't act. I don't know what they do today, but I'm guessing they don't fly many American actors out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

thatguyclint posted:

Started playing Legacy War (and not having the problems mentioned above), but I lost the name to the Goon alliance. Can someone repost it so I can join (IGN is same as forums name)

Goon alliance is Hexagon. There's a few alliances named that so check the descriptions for the right one. I'm KingOfGames on there.

I wonder if their servers were just having issues when I played. Had barely any latency tonight. Game is a pretty nicely distilled form of a fighting game for mobile.

It does get infuriating sometimes if there's lag. The UI tells you you've got a block queued up against an upcoming attack, then "lol nope"s the block back to your action bar.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Craptacular! posted:

He was into stage acting back when he accepted my friend request. He and Navy do cons.

One thing Disney did right when they handled the move to NZ was they basically searched the Aussie world of drama theatre for their actors. Saban initially prioritized athletic prowess over acting chops, so you had a lot of gymnasts and karate masters who can't act. I don't know what they do today, but I'm guessing they don't fly many American actors out.

I think they went with athletes over people with acting skills because they had to do their own stunts. Saves money, you see. Though I think it's cool that they had people that could even feasibly perform the same moves as their characters could in suit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Doggles posted:

Goon alliance is Hexagon. There's a few alliances named that so check the descriptions for the right one. I'm KingOfGames on there.

I wonder if their servers were just having issues when I played. Had barely any latency tonight. Game is a pretty nicely distilled form of a fighting game for mobile.

It does get infuriating sometimes if there's lag. The UI tells you you've got a block queued up against an upcoming attack, then "lol nope"s the block back to your action bar.

Seems like there are two goon alliances then since the thread in the Games forum has a different one

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Star Man posted:

I think they went with athletes over people with acting skills because they had to do their own stunts. Saves money, you see.

I suppose. Although they had people in the costumes in US footage from nearly the very beginning. As well as the putty patrollers, who had to be at least minimally trained in stunts to risk the chance one of the actors might screw up and actually kick you in the head.

I always felt someone (Saban, Shuki Levy, someone else) liked the visual of these actors in plain clothes having karate fights instead of hiding behind the anonymity of the costumes the moment a fight breaks out. In the second episode they even try to justify it with, "remember what Zordon said about escalation."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I missed Kelsey chat, but related: was Twitch chat roleplaying MrSkin for every actress? I swear, during the entire Lightspeed run whenever Kelsey was on screen, someone was mentioning some movie where the actress got naked.

Star Man posted:

I think they went with athletes over people with acting skills because they had to do their own stunts. Saves money, you see. Though I think it's cool that they had people that could even feasibly perform the same moves as their characters could in suit.

Didn't the actors do the suited work as well, especially in early PR?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 29, 2017

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Burkion posted:

gently caress you kindly excuse yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0DU4nrEm-c

Take it down a notch.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MisterBibs posted:

I know Johnny Yong Bosch did suit stunts because the suit actor was injured for the movie. I don't know if anyone else did stunts in suit for US footage, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to fill in like Bosch did.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

I missed Kelsey chat, but related: was Twitch chat roleplaying MrSkin for every actress? I swear, during the entire Lightspeed run whenever Kelsey was on screen, someone was mentioning some movie where the actress got naked.

All of the early stuff was the actual actors in their suits.

I think that stopped being a thing come season 2 or 3, but I'm not sure when exactly. Likely as they started doing more dangerous stunts.

Though an obvious one would be the Green Ranger VS White Ranger fight. No matter how much Jason David Frank might have wanted to, even he couldn't play both at once.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just realized something about RPM. Gem and Gemma are basically Andy and Ollie from Bob's Burgers.

This is the best show and I never should have skipped it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Burkion posted:

All of the early stuff was the actual actors in their suits.

I think that stopped being a thing come season 2 or 3, but I'm not sure when exactly. Likely as they started doing more dangerous stunts.

Though an obvious one would be the Green Ranger VS White Ranger fight. No matter how much Jason David Frank might have wanted to, even he couldn't play both at once.

Knowing him, can we really say that for sure. :tinfoil:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I thought it was common knowledge that JDF asexually divided himself into two JDFs for that episode where the Rangers go back in time and the Green Ranger comes back.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

In Space
Lost Galaxy
Lightspeed Rescue
Time Force
Ninja Storm (Less because of the story, more because of the characters)
RPM

All good good good.

+ Dino Thunder

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Seems like there are two goon alliances then since the thread in the Games forum has a different one

Thanks for pointing that out, didn't know there was a thread for it in Games. Lots of good info in there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814725

Their alliance is Big Bad Beetleborgs, this thread's is Hexagon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Something I learned today. Mystic Force Yellow is 1/2 of a movie review podcast and it's really hilarious and their latest episode is of course Power Rangers.

http://www.littleempirepodcast.com/walk-out-boys.html

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

"Queen Bansheera. She's worse than 10 Diabolicos."

Ryan, gonna need to see the math on that.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Doggles posted:

Ahh. Full right now. :(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That whole Hexagon pitch could have been reworked for the Super Megaforce season.

Gives you a reason why you can mix and match ranger powers all of a sudden.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

That whole Hexagon pitch could have been reworked for the Super Megaforce season.

Gives you a reason why you can mix and match ranger powers all of a sudden.

I had my own idea for Goseiger+Gokaiger with the Rangers being part of a space Navy corps before it turns out they were working for the wrong side or become outlaws for knowing too much or something and become pirates as a consequence.

Edit: In the first half, they're assembled as the best (or worst or most expendable) of their three divisions as a special task force with Gosei Knight as a mentor/teammate/watchdog for the higher ups. The ranger keys are some sort of mcguffin for the first half that they liberate for use in the second half because they find out that the highers up are going to use it to take over the universe. The second half is basically them learning how to use the ranger keys on their own and learning about the Power Rangers and fighting off the navy they once served.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 29, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I had my own idea for Goseiger+Gokaiger with the Rangers being part of a space Navy corps before it turns out they were working for the wrong side or become outlaws for knowing too much or something and become pirates as a consequence.

Edit: In the first half, they're assembled as the best (or worst or most expendable) of their three divisions as a special task force with Gosei Knight as a mentor/teammate/watchdog for the higher ups. The ranger keys are some sort of mcguffin for the first half that they liberate for use in the second half because they find out that the highers up are going to use it to take over the universe. The second half is basically them learning how to use the ranger keys on their own and learning about the Power Rangers and fighting off the navy they once served.

i like this pitch b/c it means bladerun/vrak could be a former general who realized what was going on and stole a mcguffin or a map to the keys and started hanging out with pirates under a false identity and then the rangers kinda have to take his place after being told he's evil and killing him

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i like this pitch b/c it means bladerun/vrak could be a former general who realized what was going on and stole a mcguffin or a map to the keys and started hanging out with pirates under a false identity and then the rangers kinda have to take his place after being told he's evil and killing him

The whole Navy -> Pirate thing only occurred to me due to the fact that the Goseiger outfits look a little like the Revolutionary era uniforms for the British. Particularly the breeches.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I haven't watched any Saban2 seasons before this one, but it sort of cracks me up how for as bad as Megaforce supposedly is, everybody's list of how to fix it is basically "please please please emphasize the pirate thing more oh god." Power Rangers just seems to really hate pirates as an aesthetic. Divatox was sort of an in name only pirate whose character was written on a napkin to be an alternative to the Carranger villains, and Captain Mutiny got hosed in order to build deeper bridges to In Space.

I'm five episodes or whatever into Ninja Steel and it's nice enough, but I don't think I look forward to seeing the same cast change costumes to... Kyuranger? How the gently caress are they going to explain the substantially larger team? I guess I shouldn't doubt Judd Lynn to pull it off, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The fix to super megaforce is to have actors that act

Red was bad, but Blue was also really bad and at times worse because he had the same problem as mimicking a cool guy and he barely emotes

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I'm five episodes or whatever into Ninja Steel and it's nice enough, but I don't think I look forward to seeing the same cast change costumes to... Kyuranger? How the gently caress are they going to explain the substantially larger team? I guess I shouldn't doubt Judd Lynn to pull it off, though.

Has there been any indication that that's going to happen? The only normal -> super costume change so far has been Megaforce. Samurai and Dino Charge kept the same suits.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So is the problem just Nickelodeon just not allowing series beyond a certain number of episodes? Kinda sucks if thats the case, but apparently dino charge and ninja steel are good so its not the worst.

How are those two series compared to the late saban/early disney era btw, cause thats the era I most remember watching. I understand that Samurai and megaforce are apparently bad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Geddy Krueger posted:

Has there been any indication that that's going to happen? The only normal -> super costume change so far has been Megaforce. Samurai and Dino Charge kept the same suits.

Ah. I thought they'd change everything up they can because KEEP PUSHIN' TOYS.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Junpei Hyde posted:

How are those two series compared to the late saban/early disney era btw, cause thats the era I most remember watching. I understand that Samurai and megaforce are apparently bad.

Dino Charge is great. The team is no good against mind control.

Ninja Steel is a bit more... youthful. It could stand to focus more on its characters and less on its characters' antics, but is mostly enjoyable.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Tae posted:

The fix to super megaforce is to have actors that act

Red was bad, but Blue was also really bad and at times worse because he had the same problem as mimicking a cool guy and he barely emotes

The actors were basically told to phone it in. I don't hold it against them. Plus, that script was garbage.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh come on, how can you criticize winning dialogue like "a ranger never lets go of his weapon".

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Ah. I thought they'd change everything up they can because KEEP PUSHIN' TOYS.

megaforce->super megaforce is a real headscratcher, i think they just wanted to get to the anniversary season without spending two years on goseiger but they also didn't want to give only 20 episodes to the megaforce cast

they really should've just ripped the 'willing to skip sentai seasons' band-aid a little earlier and skipped goseiger to adapt 40 episodes worth of gokaiger

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if the decision to skip Go-Busters and ToQger were slightly influenced by how much of a nightmare fusing Goseiger and Gokaiger were.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder if the decision to skip Go-Busters and ToQger were slightly influenced by how much of a nightmare fusing Goseiger and Gokaiger were.

To this day I will never understand why Go-Busters was skipped. Haim Saban could tell me why to my face and I still wouldn't understand.

Unless that reason was "we want to hang onto it in case there's two unusable seasons in a row."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

go busters probably got skipped because of a lot of little reasons that all added up to make it more of headache than usual to adapt

they also might have wanted to go straight from anniversary season to the og power rangers theme, dinos

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Go Busters was a commercial failure.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
The answer to almost all PR questions is always "What sells more toys?" Dinosaurs > uhh...buddy roids

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Okay, so, this Go-Busters series. What's the villain's name?"

"Messiah."

"gently caress."

"He also writes his name on a lot of his minions."

"gently caress."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

"Okay, so, this Go-Busters series. What's the villain's name?"

"Messiah."

"gently caress."

"He also writes his name on a lot of his minions."

"gently caress."

"Well, he can't be the only villain. Maybe we can focus more on the othe--"

"The only other two spend 90% of the time in human form."

"gently caress."

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Also there's quite a bit of them fighting with helmets off. They would need to refilm way more than they usually do.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no they'd have to refilm stuff that never leads to anything good or great or wonderful right Season 2 Season 3 In Space Lost Galaxy RPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's not about quality it's about budget