Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Someone shared this saying that they totally agree -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/sarah-kendall/technology-has-made-so-many-old-movies-impossible-to-watch_a_21903806/

Heres a quote:

quote:

"The film is set in the year it was made; 1995. It's a sweet movie about two young people who meet on a train and then spend one day and one night together in Vienna. The charming simplicity of the story would be impossible to set in the present day. Two people just talking.

Even the start of the movie feels highly unlikely. They meet on a train -- they're both reading. No headphones, no movies, no games. No iPhones, no texting or email or Twitter or... you get the picture. They're just reading their books and occasionally looking out the window when they both overhear a weird and amusing conversation in their train carriage. Dramatically, this is a great opportunity for two people to start talking, but it would never happen these days. I've been so engrossed in watching 'The Bridge' on train journeys that the person sitting next to me could be on fire and I wouldn't notice. Unless they were being noisy, or if some of the flames started to leap onto my belongings, in which case I might shoot them a look.

In the movie, these two charming young people start chatting, get along well, jump out at a train station and go for a wander. No Google Maps, no website that suggests a café with an average user rating of 4.5 stars -- they just walk aimlessly and find their own way through the city."

I'm so sad that there are people who think that talking to strangers or wandering around a new place 'never happens' or is 'impossible'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

TheMostFrench posted:

Someone shared this saying that they totally agree -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/sarah-kendall/technology-has-made-so-many-old-movies-impossible-to-watch_a_21903806/

Heres a quote:

I'm so sad that there are people who think that talking to strangers or wandering around a new place 'never happens' or is 'impossible'.

Right? "Oh hey, wanna hang out a bit once we get to X? " Truly a tale no longer possible in our complex and harrowing times.

I talk to strangers quite often, and I've got social anxiety problems. The way I see it, that's my problem not theirs, and being sociable is worth the stress. How else do you make friends and meet people outside of work? This person just seems kinda sad.

The best part is, both characters had their faces buried in books to begin with. Totally different from checking your email or watching something on YouTube. Yep.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
Ulillillia wishes me Happy Birthday every year. Is that good enough for this thread?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ZHamburglar posted:

Ulillillia wishes me Happy Birthday every year. Is that good enough for this thread?

No, but it is totally rad.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
i like that he always mentions your big smile when he's doing bday wishes :3:

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Pvt.Scott posted:

Right? "Oh hey, wanna hang out a bit once we get to X? " Truly a tale no longer possible in our complex and harrowing times.

I talk to strangers quite often, and I've got social anxiety problems. The way I see it, that's my problem not theirs, and being sociable is worth the stress. How else do you make friends and meet people outside of work? This person just seems kinda sad.

The best part is, both characters had their faces buried in books to begin with. Totally different from checking your email or watching something on YouTube. Yep.

Is the stress related to your being social, like, leaving a conversation and thinking you said something stupid and stuff like that?

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

garfield hentai posted:

i like that he always mentions your big smile when he's doing bday wishes :3:

"Happy birthday ZHamburglar! Be sure to bring on your king-sized smile that I know you have and bring about all the fun and happiness you can for your special day!"

It's probably the best birthday wish I get all day.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Is the stress related to your being social, like, leaving a conversation and thinking you said something stupid and stuff like that?

It used to be when I was younger and depressed and hated myself. Right now just going outside and being around people builds up anxiety. The more people and the more activity, the worse it gets. A crowded restaurant will put me on edge a lot of days, whereas someplace busy and chaotic (like a crowded retail store where people are going 50 different directions at once) will wear my nerves raw in ten minutes or less. Activities where people are focused on one thing, like movies, bowling or a concert are much less stressful. I enjoy talking to people and listening to their stories and trading opinions and stuff, it's just something that I find incredibly exhausting. Making small talk with a few clerks or strangers and doing an errand might be enough to wipe me out for the day.

This is a vast improvement over even a year and a half ago where even leaving the house filled me with a creeping existential dread, and being around strangers for five minutes was enough to make me frazzled to the point of uselessness. Funny thing is, I was shy and nerdy and bullied in grade school, but started to peek out of my shell a tiny bit in high school because it was a different group of people and they were cool. Then in college I made it a point to meet people and work on my social skills. When I started drinking and partying a few years later, I had blossomed into a chronically depressed but still jolly social butterfly. A few years later, my mental illness decide to kick it into high gear and I went through crazy manic life-burning poo poo. My brain decided to settle back on depression after that, but with crippling anxiety as a new bonus!

I talk to randos because I genuinely like to even if it is uncomfortable (same goes for running/playing D&D) and I know it's good for maintaining and improving my mental health. Ad astra, per aspera, even if the stars in this case are being a normal boring person.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pvt.Scott posted:

It used to be when I was younger and depressed and hated myself. Right now just going outside and being around people builds up anxiety. The more people and the more activity, the worse it gets. A crowded restaurant will put me on edge a lot of days, whereas someplace busy and chaotic (like a crowded retail store where people are going 50 different directions at once) will wear my nerves raw in ten minutes or less. Activities where people are focused on one thing, like movies, bowling or a concert are much less stressful. I enjoy talking to people and listening to their stories and trading opinions and stuff, it's just something that I find incredibly exhausting. Making small talk with a few clerks or strangers and doing an errand might be enough to wipe me out for the day.

This is a vast improvement over even a year and a half ago where even leaving the house filled me with a creeping existential dread, and being around strangers for five minutes was enough to make me frazzled to the point of uselessness. Funny thing is, I was shy and nerdy and bullied in grade school, but started to peek out of my shell a tiny bit in high school because it was a different group of people and they were cool. Then in college I made it a point to meet people and work on my social skills. When I started drinking and partying a few years later, I had blossomed into a chronically depressed but still jolly social butterfly. A few years later, my mental illness decide to kick it into high gear and I went through crazy manic life-burning poo poo. My brain decided to settle back on depression after that, but with crippling anxiety as a new bonus!

I talk to randos because I genuinely like to even if it is uncomfortable (same goes for running/playing D&D) and I know it's good for maintaining and improving my mental health. Ad astra, per aspera, even if the stars in this case are being a normal boring person.

Holy poo poo dude this hits close to home :saddowns:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

Didn't read.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Goddamn, therapy and drugs and also E/N not facebook.png, sad brains.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Ok, well I guess just keep on trying to interact socially and then find a healthy way to get the corresponding anxiety out when you get home or something. Get a good rest and do the same the next day. Don't get stuck in the house for a day straight ever if you can help it. Don't be hard on yourself. Another great piece of advice to hear is that no one else takes you as seriously as you do, and people are usually just thinking about themselves. Don't worry about what others think of you, they probably don't think about you anyway! You aren't that important.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Tiny speck of dust on a speck of dust floating around in another universe anyway gently caress it YOLO get in where you fit in lmao

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Tiny speck of dust on a speck of dust floating around in another universe anyway gently caress it YOLO get in where you fit in lmao

*Removes finger with bolt cutters*

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZHamburglar posted:

He unfriended me sometime in the last few months so I didn't get the yearly birthday greeting from him. :( I'm not even sure which of his rules for his friends I broke.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

Dexie posted:

He unfriended me sometime in the last few months so I didn't get the yearly birthday greeting from him. :( I'm not even sure which of his rules for his friends I broke.

If you leave a negative review on Walmart.com he will track you down and unfriend you. I don't think there has ever been a person at Walmart who has wanted to succeed more than him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZHamburglar posted:

If you leave a negative review on Walmart.com he will track you down and unfriend you. I don't think there has ever been a person at Walmart who has wanted to succeed more than him.

Did you know that Walmart sells stamps?

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I like Nick's daily recaps of what he rung up on the register. He's a good dude

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Ok, well I guess just keep on trying to interact socially and then find a healthy way to get the corresponding anxiety out when you get home or something. Get a good rest and do the same the next day. Don't get stuck in the house for a day straight ever if you can help it. Don't be hard on yourself. Another great piece of advice to hear is that no one else takes you as seriously as you do, and people are usually just thinking about themselves. Don't worry about what others think of you, they probably don't think about you anyway! You aren't that important.

its just the people with such boring/sad lives that decide to rip on others to make themselves feel better that make life lovely

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I just get very angry inside and hold it in until I wake up the next day and I hate being awake and sunlight and talking.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Thank God.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

so that's why people have to keep holding onto their girlfriends hand in those pics

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

I feel like this would be more effective if the camera was facing towards Titanic instead of away from it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Why your partner had to drown you?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/randy.trent.581

this guy is ridiculous but funny

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Any updates on lipstick on a pig guy? Please and thank you.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

ProperCoochie posted:

Any updates on lipstick on a pig guy? Please and thank you.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

sick people with a sick religion

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

we deserve trump

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks Obama lmao

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Guarantee you the people that use the "I put my phone away" sticker never put their phone away.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

Guarantee you the people that use the sticker are giant self entitled poo poo heads

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

friend of mine.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Waffle House posted:

friend of mine.

Jessie deserves to smash. What's his IndieGoGo link?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dude what happened to the tiger pic I like tigers

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

A criminal and a homeless guy? Do NOT like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp