Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

RareAcumen posted:

Something about this doll feels unsettling and reminds me of Nic Cage.

Baronjutter posted:

All the fat people I know share a common "uhg.. I just don't like water" trait. They drink children's sugar drinks all day despite being adults.

"Traditional" Chinese "Medicine" holds that drinking water makes you fat. :shrug: When people talked about being fat with water in Dune I didn't take it seriously, but now glorious PRC has shown me the truth! :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

Many pages ago but having gone to art school, these people exist in real life, and there are many of them.

I'm sure they do but that is genuinely a troll blog.

Eighty Seven
Jun 4, 2010
I'm 50 pages in and this poo poo is cringe with makeup on.

That makes it strangely ok. Carry on.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Thin Privilege posted:

Many pages ago but having gone to art school, these people exist in real life, and there are many of them.

Phe has found per true kintype though, I mean, I wish I was that happy and certain in life :smith:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hmm I fatfingered something on the last page of this thread and my computer opened this tab and I am not quite sure why because I don't see a link to it on the last page. Am I going crazy? Am I going blind? Is my computer self aware? :iiam:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

"Traditional" Chinese "Medicine" holds that drinking water makes you fat. :shrug: When people talked about being fat with water in Dune I didn't take it seriously, but now glorious PRC has shown me the truth! :china:

no drinking cold water in the morning because it's poison

drink lots of hot water throughout the day, it will help you lose weight because you metabolise more when it's warm

but don't drink hot water if you are pregnant, because you'll boil the unborn baby

drinking cold water after food will coagulate your cells and prevent them from digesting food properly, that's why you'll be fat

(i wish i was kidding)

also if you don't like the taste of water, easiest thing is to either (1) get one of those bottles with a tea filter, drink tea WITHOUT sugar/milk/honey all the time or (2) get one of those bottles with an infuser, throw some lime/lemon and some sliced cucumbers, throw it in the fridge. mix cut berries/mint for better taste.

basically water is loving great, drink water nerds

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Saddest Rhino posted:

but don't drink hot water if you are pregnant, because you'll boil the unborn baby

What about if you're gregnant?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Extremely :nms: "They're waving hello!"

http://i.imgur.com/mhfRHdj.gif

edit: removed spoiler tags... too gross.

beato has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Mar 30, 2017

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Neat

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

beato posted:

Extremely :nms: "They're waving hello!"

http://i.imgur.com/mhfRHdj.gif

edit: removed spoiler tags... too gross.

I would almost venture to say that's maggot therapy.

Short version is that they purposely put a certain type of maggot in a wound, and they'll eat the infection, leaving the healthy tissue alone. It's being praised for how well it works, too.

maggot therapy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Maggot therapy, like a nuclear reactor, is something that works great and I don't want to be anywhere near.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
this is a heavyset woman in a parking lot lifting her dress to expose her rear end while pointing at dicks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know what I expected

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Hmm, you weren't lying

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The sickest burn in my elementary school was "Your mom went to Dick's to get as clip-on!" A clip-on dick, I guess. The girl who came up with that gem also convinced everyone that her sister bought fake sperm at a drugstore and put it in her uterus.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Drinking a ton of water is extremely dangerous. (Even if you don't literally mean a ton.)

I think this is the gooniest thing I've ever read.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Maggot therapy, like a nuclear reactor, is something that works great and I don't want to be anywhere near.

You're probably better off living near a nuclear power plant than a coal one to be honest. Way better off.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What about if you're gregnant?

Or, or, pregananant?!?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But all that green radioactive smoke billowing out the top of those giant smokestacks! :rolleye:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fathis Munk posted:

Hmm I fatfingered something on the last page of this thread and my computer opened this tab and I am not quite sure why because I don't see a link to it on the last page. Am I going crazy? Am I going blind? Is my computer self aware? :iiam:

Do not question God's gifts

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

loving broads, not getting pregnant with literally millions of babies. :mad:

His analogy doesn't even make sense within itself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Selklubber posted:

I think this is the gooniest thing I've ever read.

Why? Water is great until there's too much in you, and then you die. This can literally happen. I forget the name of it, and it's an extreme thing to happen, but it's still a thing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why? Water is great until there's too much in you, and then you die. This can literally happen. I forget the name of it, and it's an extreme thing to happen, but it's still a thing.

Its just water poisoning. Too much water and too little electrolytes (either because you are exerting yourself or are just drinking way too much) will kill you. Happens to marathon runners and ecstasy users.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Water Intoxication.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a lady out here in CA died from it trying to win a Wii on a radio show

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I feel like these are all pretty extreme examples and not really pertinent to the average goon.

Maybe I just don't drink enough water, I dunno.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah water poisoning is a thing that exists but that doesn't mean it's dangerous to tell people to drink a lot of water. Our bodies need a lot of water and most people are at least slightly dehydrated in their every day lives. You can find a case of people killing themselves with anything people need to be healthy if you overdo it. Doesn't mean you should for example never get vitamin D from sunlight just because skin cancer exists.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hyponatremia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

I remember that a cop in DC died as a result of it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/10/AR2005081001460.html

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, instead of drinking 12 litres of water a day, which may kill you, better drink 12 litres of fizzy drinks and coffee. Better safe than sorry!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Beer is a soft drink

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

purple death ray posted:

Our bodies need a lot of water and most people are at least slightly dehydrated in their every day lives.

Actually nah

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

quote:

“The notion that there is widespread dehydration has no basis in medical fact,” says Dr. Robert Alpern, dean of the medical school at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.

Doctors from a wide range of specialties agree: By all evidence, we are a well-hydrated nation.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the surgeon that performed my colonectomies and is head of the surgical review board at two local hospitals vehemently disagrees

i mean jmcrofts are you like a spokesperson against Big Water or something

'drink more water' is never not good advice

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Efexeye posted:

the surgeon that performed my colonectomies and is head of the surgical review board at two local hospitals vehemently disagrees

i mean jmcrofts are you like a spokesperson against Big Water or something

'drink more water' is never not good advice

I'm a spokesperson for "stop blindly repeating 'conventional wisdom' that has no basis in fact"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

oh well i'm a spokesperson for 'here is my personal experience'

i mean if you want to get diverticulitis in your 60's because your dry rear end fecal matter is tearing up your colon, feel free to live on the water you get from coffee or whatever

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

cash crab posted:

Beer is a soft drink

Actually it is a hard drink

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

"Heavyset" is being kind.

I ran an ultra last year and drank only water for the first 40 or so miles. When my vision started going, I thought I was going to have to drop out of the race, but I stopped at a medic station where they gave me table salt and a) I have never tasted anything so delicious, and b) I leapt out of the chair like Popeye on spinach and ran the next few miles like it was nothing. I hadn't drunk too much water, but I'd drunk water while losing a lot of salt, which leads to the same result. It's nothing to gently caress around with, for sure.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

"Heavyset" is being kind.

I ran an ultra last year and drank only water for the first 40 or so miles. When my vision started going, I thought I was going to have to drop out of the race, but I stopped at a medic station where they gave me table salt and a) I have never tasted anything so delicious, and b) I leapt out of the chair like Popeye on spinach and ran the next few miles like it was nothing. I hadn't drunk too much water, but I'd drunk water while losing a lot of salt, which leads to the same result. It's nothing to gently caress around with, for sure.

When I'm feeling all lovely I generally take it as a sign to both eat something salty + a drink to go with it, usually tea.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I guess it's anecdotal evidence but I was told that most people are a little bit dehydrated by a nurse at a clinic that does physicals and her job was to test people's urine for health issues so I guess I assumed she knew what she was talking about. Maybe there's a lot of dehydrated people in my city or something and we are not representative of larger trends.

Still unless you are a marathon runner or can't process liquids properly the amount of water you'd have to drink to give yourself water poisoning is more than most people can even stomach in the time it would take you to piss it out. And most people are getting way too much sodium anyway because our diets are so terrible. Just drink some loving water it's good for you.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Actually it is a hard drink

No, it is for little babies

Anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

cash crab posted:

No, it is for little babies

Anyways