Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not so much that free dlc is failed as it is devs of popular games like cod and battlefield know you'll spend twice the cash to get some maps later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think if Titanfall 2 would've been a big hit we would've seen a lot more free DLC for it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah it's him, it's a consistent thing. I'm pretty sure it was due to anti-anime comments from many months ago. And yeah I said in the same post how dumb it was to try to show how nice it looks, was just excited. I forget that some people get angry at that sort of thing.

I've posted about your dumb rich rear end exactly once before, guy.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Imagined posted:

I think if Titanfall 2 would've been a big hit we would've seen a lot more free DLC for it.

Titanfall is slowly dying because of no DLC and its horrendously mistimed release. EA gives no shits about that game, anyhow

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people have been saying titanfall was basically dead since the game came out, so idk that more dlc would do much to change anything

ea sending the game out to try and bleed some cod sales off activision is probably what killed it tho yea

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

But what's your stance on anime?! Hurry!!!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

people have been saying titanfall was basically dead since the game came out, so idk that more dlc would do much to change anything

Since it came out they released one game mode with two exclusive maps and two Titanfall 1 revamp maps. There are people who would pay premium for stupid cosmetic poo poo, but even that is lacking. You can't whale and dress up your Titan Waifu.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

But what's your stance on anime?! Hurry!!!

It's blood.

But blood is good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I think low sales threw a wrench in TF2's DLC rollout. Uncharted had a similar DLC rollout plans and they consistently put out about a map a month along with new game modes and cosmetic/gun dlc and the game still seemed to be going strong when I stopped playing, which was over 6 months after release. Even after that they added a beefy co op mode.

To me it's hard not to feel like they sort of gave up on TF2 the second it didn't sell well out the gate. I still play it, but they have added practically nothing in 6 months. They are just about to add a second map, and that plus the first new map they added are both recycled from the first game. There's been one new gun (which is basically a slightly modified version on an existing gun)and some camos and a game mode that has pretty limited appeal.

TF2 is the best shooter in years imo, it's just hard not to be bummed about the state it's in right now.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Titanfall 2 was sent out to die. It was launched between the two biggest shooter franchises of the last decade - someone at EA decided to kneecap it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's just crazy. Why would you go through the trouble to poach the talent that made some of the most successful media properties of all time and then NOT do everything in your power not to kill your new goose before it lays some golden eggs?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oxxidation posted:

OK whatever, I'm just insulted you think my phone camera is low res. It's really nice.

edit: Saying anything is low resolution to me is like saying anime is bad to you

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Instant Grat posted:

Titanfall 2 was sent out to die. It was launched between the two biggest shooter franchises of the last decade - someone at EA decided to kneecap it.

Idk why it isn't obvious that they just wanted to gently caress CODs fanbase as much as possible by dropping BF1 and TF2. Hell, TF2 has a titan skin you get for having played BF1

then again idk if the fact that respawn chose that release date is true

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what game has had free DLC and actually released consistent good content akin to paid DLC? That didn't have pay 2 win properties

Path of Exile. Spending 10$ on it will make your life a lot more comfortable, but it's not play to win and gets major updates all the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imagined posted:

It's just crazy. Why would you go through the trouble to poach the talent that made some of the most successful media properties of all time and then NOT do everything in your power not to kill your new goose before it lays some golden eggs?

My guess is that EA thought they would dominate COD by releasing not one, but two! Killer shooters next to it. Instead most people just bought what they knew and Titanfall didn't have the brand recognition of the other two. To top it off I think I heard it was a bad year for FPS sales all around.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

^ I think they still made a fair profit off of TF2. I hope it leads to a TF3, at least.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Since it came out they released one game mode with two exclusive maps and two Titanfall 1 revamp maps. There are people who would pay premium for stupid cosmetic poo poo, but even that is lacking. You can't whale and dress up your Titan Waifu.

They only released two prime titans like 3 months into the game and your character model is set by your class/boost, lol. There's practically no cosmetic poo poo to buy besides camo packs and patches which hardly anyone sees

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

My guess is that EA thought they would dominate COD by releasing not one, but two! Killer shooters next to it. Instead most people just bought what they knew and Titanfall didn't have the brand recognition of the other two. To top it off I think I heard it was a bad year for FPS sales all around.

It was a bad holiday 2016 for game sales period. Almost everything disappointed. Dishonored 2, Watch Dogs 2, CoD, Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge, Titanfall 2, Mafia 3, all were disappointing sales wise. Maybe some others.

But then Skyrim remastered did really well for some reason.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Team Fortress 2 is 10 years old and still getting content. It launched with like 5 maps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

Titanfall is not really a game where you can work together in my experience, you win or lose based on how well each player performs as an individual. At least in the only mode that matters. In CTF or LTS you can definitely screw people over as a team but ehhh

No, a coordinated group will absolutely wreck the gently caress out the other team in Attrition, because it turns into a bunch of lone players wandering into a hail of gunfire before they can do anything.

Nevermind just punching Pilots off your buddy's Titan.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagined posted:

Respawn is not owned by EA. They are the last survivor of the disastrous EA partners program that put a lot of good studios into the maw of the EA machine.

If titanfall could both spoil cod (it did help, cod sales were still huge but much much lower in part due to competition) and put respawn in a situation where they would need to rely on EA more in the future financially after weak tf2 sales, its a win win to hamstring the game for EA looking towards eventual buy out of their partner.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Eezee posted:

Path of Exile. Spending 10$ on it will make your life a lot more comfortable, but it's not play to win and gets major updates all the time.

I really hope it gets ported to the Ps4 at some point.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Respawn is not owned by EA. They are the last survivor of the disastrous EA partners program that put a lot of good studios into the maw of the EA machine.

If titanfall could both spoil cod (it did help, cod sales were still huge but much much lower in part due to competition) and put respawn in a situation where they would need to rely on EA more in the future financially after weak tf2 sales, its a win win to hamstring the game for EA looking towards eventual buy out of their partner.

My mistake is I can only ever think as someone who would want to make a good game and sell it for more money than it cost to make. I can't think like a business rear end in a top hat with buyouts and quarterly earnings and murders and executions and poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, a coordinated group will absolutely wreck the gently caress out the other team in Attrition, because it turns into a bunch of lone players wandering into a hail of gunfire before they can do anything.

Nevermind just punching Pilots off your buddy's Titan.

Every mode really. The game doesn't require super tight moment to moment coordination but you have to play in a full group and communicate to win with any regularity. Especially now since casuals are few and far between.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Just finishing up Yakuza 0 tonight, think I'll swing hard in another direction now. How's Mafia III?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
AMINEEE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fix posted:

Just finishing up Yakuza 0 tonight, think I'll swing hard in another direction now. How's Mafia III?

I thought the characters and story were interesting enough for me to see things through to the end. The open world feels like it's a few years behind in terms of design choices, with a bit of tedium to it. I thought shooting people was pretty fun though. You do that a lot

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How's that new sniper elite game. Next game I'm picking up is definitely P5 but that looked pretty ok maybe even pretty fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

Imagine yakuza but lovely with just cause style fill the meter in each region progression

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

verbal enema posted:

How's that new sniper elite game. Next game I'm picking up is definitely P5 but that looked pretty ok maybe even pretty fun

It reviewed well but the low budget shows in production value

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Real hurthling! posted:

It reviewed well but the low budget shows in production value

Dang. Was hoping the WHOAH LOOK WHICH RIB YOU BUSTED when you shottem thing would carry me but I have a feeling that won't.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

verbal enema posted:

Dang. Was hoping the WHOAH LOOK WHICH RIB YOU BUSTED when you shottem thing would carry me but I have a feeling that won't.

No thats where they put the money

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Pbbpththpbt damnit

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Every mode really. The game doesn't require super tight moment to moment coordination but you have to play in a full group and communicate to win with any regularity. Especially now since casuals are few and far between.
I'm definitely a casual and don't ever get first place or anything but I almost never got the feeling like the rest of my team or the other team was coordinating any more than me. It's just a bunch of people running around like maniacs shooting at each other, only most of them aim and hide better than me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 30, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At least on weekend nights when our group usually plays the competition is usually pretty tough and I'd say more than half of games are against full clans.

You can do alright on a personal level even if you are playing alone but you will probably run into a lot of losses.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

This sounds right and the Respawn guy who said "so whatever the gently caress that means" when EA said they supported Titanfall 2 probably knew.

It basically comes down to either Respawn was overconfident or EA was willing to gently caress with them to dig into COD. It didn't help that IW ended up being one of the lesser popular CODs in a while.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Titanfall 2 was let down by EA throwing it under the bus and gamers being loving morons who will feast from the CoD trough no matter how lovely the game is or how lovely they treat their base.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

I can see EA flexing its muscles like this, especially in light of the Activision fallout/lawsuit, and the way Respawn leeched talent straight out of Infinity Ward, in a manner that seemed premeditated.

The Respawn people are extremely talented, but they like to play with fire, it seems.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Random question but do any of the NBA games have classic teams in them like 96 Hornets etc etc?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Random question but do any of the NBA games have classic teams in them like 96 Hornets etc etc?
Can't confirm that specific team off the top of my head but yeah, various 2K games have different historic NBA teams, the Dream Team, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fix posted:

They've just put up a demo for Mafia 3, seems alright to me. Very high quality story focused, gameplay seems standard stuff but the 1968 new orleans seems cool.