Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

are you insane

no are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yo, thanks for the warning pages back about the new Nier having violence against robots. My friend was excited for it because she heard it had cute robots in it, and having to hurt them would've upset her. You saved her money and grief.

Oh god buying Nier: Automata sight unseen because of cute robots would be a hilarious and terrible idea, I love it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh god buying Nier: Automata sight unseen because of cute robots would be a hilarious and terrible idea, I love it.

She's never played the first or heard of Yoko Taro and yeah. Yeah.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the robots are very cute though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yo, thanks for the warning pages back about the new Nier having violence against robots. My friend was excited for it because she heard it had cute robots in it, and having to hurt them would've upset her. You saved her money and grief.

Holy poo poo

This is like someone watching Grave of the Fireflies because of the cute kids on the cover

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Just posting to say that Specter of Torment is really good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i just got to the part in nier where it replays 2b's setting sequence when you're 9s haha

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/62991t/the_dota_2_workshop_and_its_ecosystem_are_dying/

I know no one will read all that, so the basic summary is that Valve has effectively cut Dota workshop revenue from 25% to 6%

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you know i bet playing RE7 in VR with two Power Glove style controllers would be rad as hell, why isn't this a thing yet, what the gently caress, future

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/62991t/the_dota_2_workshop_and_its_ecosystem_are_dying/

I know no one will read all that, so the basic summary is that Valve has effectively cut Dota workshop revenue from 25% to 6%

TL;DR:
1. Workshop year is now entirely dominated by battle passes,
2. You have to agree to battle pass terms to sell your hats,
3. Battle pass money is no longer shared with workshop artists,
4. Only direct purchases of chests from the store are shared
5. artists making ~6x less than before,
6. no longer a worthwhile endeavor financially

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's especially sinister since the free chests that you get in battle passes can be sold on the market, which 100% of that money goes to Valve and not the artists.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was going to say that MGS1 has one of the best rogues' galleries of any game, but I actually think Revengeance tops it, mainly because each of them has a :rock: theme song

The music in revengeance was bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valve is just not good at this monetizing other people's work thing, huh?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Valve is just not good at this monetizing other people's work thing, huh?

They're actually incredibly good at it provided by "monetization" you mean "profitable to Valve."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

I'm not sure I liked a single track in the game tbh, though that's also not a style of music I have any appreciation for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

I am shaking my head in sorrow as I draw my high frequency Hanzo steel.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't listen to metal but man, if you don't think it's perfect for the game, I don't know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah the revengeance soundtrack is bad, but it's perfect in th context of the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhtGc55rpI

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The story may be super dumb but the bit at the end of AssCreed 2 where the alien turns to the camera and literally starts talking to you, the player, is creepy as gently caress, especially at 2am.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lurdiak posted:

Lufia 1 is basically an NES RPG on the Snes. It's very standard in a lot of what it does, and it doesn't make great use of the SNES' abilities. It's not terrible or broken or anything, but you have to really like JRPGs to bother playing through it.

Lufia 2 was not only a much better-looking and sounding game with more interesting combat mechanics, it also had really interesting departures from the bog-standard dragon quest/final fantasy mold of the time, most notably the dungeons where you can see the enemies and they don't move until you do. It's also got some pretty good writing to boot.

Man now I'm thinking about Lufia 4 and I'm sad.

I've forgotten how many weeks in a row I rented Lufia 2 as a kid just to crush the game then eventually crush the Ancient Cave

game owns, and I still love the goddamn Doom Isle music, how they got music that good out of the SNES is a minor mystery to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsIXvHteoK0

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah the revengeance soundtrack is bad, but it's perfect in th context of the game.

This, and that "Live in Concert" video is the equivalent of accidentally catching your parents loving.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/bransonbranson/status/267704743915311104

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Battle Brothers is deffo my GotM

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure I'm gonna make it through A Night in the Woods. This hits a little close to home.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

I'm not sure I'm gonna make it through A Night in the Woods. This hits a little close to home.

My days as a teenage punk black cat were a tough time too. You can make it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ripped a vulture's face off and now slug cat is wearing it as a mask :toot:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

My days as a teenage punk black cat were a tough time too. You can make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyODHwluaY

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

This. Perfection.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That bass is way too competent.

It was annoying that you couldn't read the lyrics because you had to focus on the button prompts instead.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

In Training posted:

are you insane

doom 2016 and hotel dusk are the only video games with good writing tbh

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Ometeotl posted:

Just posting to say that Specter of Torment is really good.

It's really good!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to try it! I was disappointed with the way Plague Knight controls, though, still haven't finished his game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Specter is more traditional.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

ripped a vulture's face off and now slug cat is wearing it as a mask :toot:

How is Rain World? Game looks gorgeous, but I heard it has some frustrating / bad mechanics.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just beat NieR:A route B. Huh. I actually thought the first playthrough was pretty straightforward and had pretty good closure, and then route B ended up raising a bunch of questions that I didn't know I needed to have. Also felt like a bit of padding with a handful of cool new sidequests. Everyone says that the next playthrough is when everything gets good, but I don't know... I don't currently feel emotionally drained and broken and I'm kind of fine with that :ohdear:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I love that guy that shields the cat from the rain because it undermines Monsoon's entire point about how soldiers have to be cold and unfeeling and repress their emotions because letting them out and showing weakness makes you weak- and how we are controlled by our emotions whether they're being suppressed or not. While he's goin on about all this bullshit, dude sees a cat and he's like "I will help you my friend".

Did the cat dude get killed during that whole kerfuffle

I hope not

cause he likes cats and you can't be bad *and* like cats

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, the cat walks away before the cutscene is over and the guy makes a gesture like "no, don't go :saddowns:"

but that's ok because cats are immortal dodge timing gods in revengeance anyway

edit: Oh the guy, I misread that. yeah he is forced to fight you with the rest of them and is chopped up. that is the true sad feeling. That said, you don't have to kill anyone during that segment so hey you can be a pacifist if you want.

edit again: Lol in fact I think you get an automatic s-rank on that segment if you don't kill anyone and don't take damage, so it's beneficial to let the cat man live

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How is Rain World? Game looks gorgeous, but I heard it has some frustrating / bad mechanics.

I like it a lot. Three zones in, haven't really gotten frustrated with it yet. No shortage of deaths but they're almost always educational in some way. Game doesn't explain itself at all so you either need to pay really close attention or be willing to go looking for tips online

• Locked thread