Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
...........huh, that was not the way I expected the ending to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
lmbo what the gently caress was that

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well that was a crazy ending.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The world's most powerful being undone by some chump drone

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Oh poo poo, I missed the scene. What happened?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

screech on the beach posted:

Yeah! LEGION was caught! Do you want to give it a nickname?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
While still good, I felt like that was the weakest episode of the series.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

screech on the beach posted:

David gets abducted by some weird rear end Pokeball like technology.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

That really should have been better.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well that's a hell of a cliffhanger to put after the credits

Is this a thing that happens after every episode?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

anothergod posted:

Is this a thing that happens after every episode?

I don't think so. Noah Hawley made a point of telling people to wait through the credits on this one. It's not uncommon for TV shows to have a stinger in a season finale--Mr. Robot and The Walking Dead come to mind.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Hughlander posted:

Again the way hacking is portrayed it's as much genre superpower tk guy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Was that pokeball "The Equinox" ?

Also when the gently caress does season 2 start? Start season 2, Noah Hawley.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
lmao well that poo poo the bed

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You don't have to be afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
lol was that ending "now here's a Mojo inference for you!"

David getting what seems like alien abducted while giving off a trapped in a TV vibe by shouting and banging on the glass immediately made me think of the start of all Mojo stories i read as kid that were all basically "heros get kidnapped and taken to Mojoworld and compete on their version of a TV show for entertainment."

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Well, overall the series was great and a breath of fresh air in a genre I enjoy, but this finale was underwhelming, fine and perfectly serviceable, but more was probably expected by everyone. And this seems to be the more universal sentiment at this point.

Wasn't expecting a "Boom goes the dynamite" reference.

I like that a lot of you are shocked by that wtf post-credits ending (though it is wtf), when this isn't new when it comes to a Hawley ending. See the end of Fargo S2.

A current theory about the ending is a Shi'ar device. Look it up. I don't remember enough about the Shi'ar or any involvement they may have had with David or Shadow King to make a judgement.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashpanash posted:

I agree, I feel like they ran out of time and ended up with "Glowy balls running at each other" when it should have been more. That said it wasn't a terrible episode, just not up to high high standards.

I feel like it was a cop out to have everybody live at the end. That "Bang!" felt like their heart should have exploded; finding out she lived undersold the villain considerably.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm still not entirely sure what even happened beyond the shadow king running off in Icemans body.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MiddleOne posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what even happened beyond the shadow king running off in Icemans body.

That's what happened.

Tried to get SK out of David, Syd I guess believes SK about killing David before SK would ever leave him and intercedes, SK transfers to Syd, SK transfers to Kary/Cary, SK as Cary/Kary clashes with David and I guess gets forced out of that host, closest host is Oliver, SK escapes in Oliver's body, David gets kidnapped by Mr.Terrific's T-Sphere.

Serf
May 5, 2011

While that ending wasn't what I expected it pretty much ruled. If it means we get to see the two best actors on the show chewing the scenery together next season I am all in.

The pokeball ending was weird though, not sure how I feel about that unless it means we're going full crazytown next season.

We never did find out what was in the drat cage! :argh:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Serf posted:

We never did find out what was in the drat cage! :argh:

It was a dog. Shocking, I know.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was hoping the orb at the end was a reference to when SWORD picks him up in X-Men: Legacy, but the orb wasn't shouting at him constantly.

Chokes McGee posted:

It's not just the schizophrenia. The episode where David is given bipolar in Farouk's/Lenny's asylum simulation is very on point, as is making a list based on logic (cognative behavioral) to help work through issues. Someone did their loving homework on mental illness and is actually depicting it accurately from the inside out.
If you want to see more of this sort of thing in media, check out the development updates for Hellblade, a game that's supposed to be out later this year. They did a ton of research and worked with mental illness outreach programs for consultation on what a protagonist with schizophrenia would hear and see.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

I agree, I feel like they ran out of time and ended up with "Glowy balls running at each other" when it should have been more. That said it wasn't a terrible episode, just not up to high high standards.

I feel like it was a cop out to have everybody live at the end. That "Bang!" felt like their heart should have exploded; finding out she lived undersold the villain considerably.

On the other hand, what 'more' could it have been? They just unleashed everything directly at each other and David came out on top; blasted Farouk out of his current host and into the next available. For reality bending wizard duels see Harry Potter or the crappier examples of the Xmen movies.

I do agree they could have killed off one or more characters. I thought for a second he was gonna run off in Syd; that could have been a hook for the next season - and also in character, loving with David in a major way.

A bit disappointed that David seems to not be generally insane apart from the parasite. Not really faithful to the character.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Oh and can I just say that the opening with the cooked guy and his gay husband/adopted kid was one of the most awesome things in the whole series. Felt like a nod to the Austin Powers "henchman's family" scenes.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Chadzok posted:

On the other hand, what 'more' could it have been? They just unleashed everything directly at each other and David came out on top; blasted Farouk out of his current host and into the next available. For reality bending wizard duels see Harry Potter or the crappier examples of the Xmen movies.

Not so sure David came out on top so much as Farouk figured it wasn't worth continuing to fight when there was an acceptable host right there.

quote:

A bit disappointed that David seems to not be generally insane apart from the parasite. Not really faithful to the character.

I could have sworn this was going to happen given those repeated shots of him being yelled at by a crowd of people.

As for the episode itself, aside from the intro it felt very much like a season finale in the most boring way. Everything worked out better than expected, except for the next season's hook, but nothing really interesting happened.

Basically:

ashpanash posted:

e: Also Syd is just the most boring character. She's always stuck in Girlfriend mode and doesn't seem to really have a life outside of it. This would be possible to ignore if she weren't the third most important character in the series. It's probably my single biggest criticism of the show.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 30, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Longbaugh01 posted:

A current theory about the ending is a Shi'ar device. Look it up. I don't remember enough about the Shi'ar or any involvement they may have had with David or Shadow King to make a judgement.

The Shi'ar don't really have much to do with David, but they have a TON to do with Professor X.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Chadzok posted:

I do agree they could have killed off one or more characters. I thought for a second he was gonna run off in Syd; that could have been a hook for the next season - and also in character, loving with David in a major way.

Hawley might be consciously trying to stay away from the whole killing off characters thing since it has tended to be overdone in the past several years.

Chadzok posted:

I don't know how that's what you got out of all of this and the finale, both because of the rather long scene with David and Syd in the woods where he ruminates on the very subject, and because ambiguity doesn't mean definiteness.

Klungar posted:

The Shi'ar don't really have much to do with David, but they have a TON to do with Professor X.

Ah, yeah. That much I remember.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chadzok posted:

Oh and can I just say that the opening with the cooked guy and his gay husband/adopted kid was one of the most awesome things in the whole series. Felt like a nod to the Austin Powers "henchman's family" scenes.

It fleshed out that character really well and set up his husband as an antagonist next season.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I agree that the episode feels like it could have been done a bit better, but it was fine.

I'm not sure I like the post credits scene, though. What I loved about the series up until now was how they managed to be mysterious without being annoying, but that ball poo poo was straight up out of left field. Yeah, yeah, mysterious room of people hinting at some fail safe, but a loving floating sphere that just sucks up David? It was really jarring and definitely did not feel like anything the show presented to us so far. Which is a shame because every left field moment in the show so far really felt like it made sense while being surprising. This just feels like the worst kind of surprise cliffhanger.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Interesting finale.

Again, I got the general gist of it (I think anyway), and it did have some very good sequences, but I'm full of questions.

What is the Shadow King's power? Is it that he is a parasite and needs a host and then he can poison the host's mind (hence he is very dangerous if he infects a powerful mutant) ?

Was Shadow King searching something that David had/ knew about? In the previous episode it seemed like he wanted something (other than full control) that David would not give up, but in this episode this does not come up at all...

How did the sequence where the SK moves from host to host work? If you go with something other than "magic happened", the logistics of it seemed kind of off. Like Syd's power didn't work as it should (she doesn't seem to switch places with David), and how was Melanie taken out exactly?

All in all it was something quite original and different from what I was expecting. Hopefully, next season will be just as interesting and weird.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Someone needs to take that gun away from Ptonomy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Between the conversation in the woods with Syd and the conversation with the Shadow King in his head, David will likely still be very mentally ill. This is just a relative calm after freeing himself of the Shadow King. I think he's still going to struggle with what's real and what isn't real and now he doesn't have a parasite that has a self preservation instinct riding shotgun in his head.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

AbstractNapper posted:

What is the Shadow King's power? Is it that he is a parasite and needs a host and then he can poison the host's mind (hence he is very dangerous if he infects a powerful mutant) ?

In the comics at least, the Shadow King is an extraordinarily powerful psychic whose physical body was destroyed, so he usually possesses people from the astral plane. I think David is just powerful enough to fight the possession-notice how Farouk has full control of other characters immediately. He has to cultivate and manipulate David to get a foothold.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

double negative posted:

Someone needs to take that gun away from Ptonomy

God, this. This so much. It was all I could think about during that scene but forgot to mention it.

To maybe answer one of a recent poster's questions: I think SK just wants full control of a very powerful mutant and that's why he'd been working on David from within for decades.

Now I think at the end what SK references looking for is just another powerful mutant, and I'm guessing that will be in Season 2.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Uh wow. What a season of television. Best thing since Breaking Bad? Yes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The supporting characters are so poo poo on this show. Dan Stevens is swell, but Ptonomy and Kerry and Melanie are all hella boring and also terrible actors with one expression each.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

To maybe answer one of a recent poster's questions: I think SK just wants full control of a very powerful mutant and that's why he'd been working on David from within for decades.

Now I think at the end what SK references looking for is just another powerful mutant, and I'm guessing that will be in Season 2.

I think Lenny's definitely looking for something. There was that scene in the map room in David's head where it kept saying "Where is it? Where did he hide it?" So it's probably looking for some doohickey that Xavier hid and thought the answer might be in David's head.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Any guesses on who the guy hanging out with the military brass was? He seemed to be too young (and was, well, standing) to be Xavier, but there seemed to be recognition of SK in the flashes also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Based on various comments from Hawley, I think the only way we'll see Xavier on the show is if it's Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy.