Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Who's the Hulk with the Fu Manchu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I think the base says Oni Hulk? I'll google

Apparently they are from a what if. What if the gamma bomb spawned a thousand hulks.

Morand fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 16, 2017

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

More specifically, what if the US dropped a gamma bomb on Japan instead of atom bombs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Rules post for HSS and Pulse Wave!

HSS gets changes around the edges; you can't carry while using it (and we already knew object attacks were gone), but Plasticity is no longer a hard counter because now it's move, attack, move again. Pulse Wave stays the same, but the word "ignore" has been replaced with "can't use", which I find interesting. Ignore might be gone from the game entirely; it'd certainly fit with their goal of getting everything down to either "use" or "can't use".

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

CapnAndy posted:

Rules post for HSS and Pulse Wave!

HSS gets changes around the edges; you can't carry while using it (and we already knew object attacks were gone), but Plasticity is no longer a hard counter because now it's move, attack, move again. Pulse Wave stays the same, but the word "ignore" has been replaced with "can't use", which I find interesting. Ignore might be gone from the game entirely; it'd certainly fit with their goal of getting everything down to either "use" or "can't use".

There's no "might be" about it.

"The word “ignore” in general caused massive confusion and rules questions, and we are eliminating it from HeroClix rules language entirely. It rarely was clear enough what parts of what were being “ignored” by what, and like in Outwit, Pulse Wave now uses the phrase “can’t use” instead."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Steve Vader posted:

There's no "might be" about it.

"The word “ignore” in general caused massive confusion and rules questions, and we are eliminating it from HeroClix rules language entirely. It rarely was clear enough what parts of what were being “ignored” by what, and like in Outwit, Pulse Wave now uses the phrase “can’t use” instead."
I are good at reading :downs:

So Invincible's definitely changing too, then.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

So Invincible's definitely changing too, then.

My guess is something like:

quote:

Invincible
When this character would be dealt damage, this character is instead dealt half that amount (minimum 1).

The Pulse Wave and Hypersonic changes are both plenty welcome in my book. HSS did confuse a lot of people with its current interaction with Plasticity and some people already thought you had to break away from a character you swung at during it, so now it'll work a lot more intuitively, plus it allows them to combine OO OO> symbols, at least for Improved Movement. I doubt they'll combine them for Improved Targeting, but the way they're going, who knows? Pulse Wave gets much cleaner wording that lets it do what it does already in a way that's much more friendly to newer players. It looks like my fears didn't have as much of a basis as I thought. They do seem to be making it so that while the language is more condensed, the goal is to simply not require you to diagram all the sentences to understand the rules.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

HSS gets changes around the edges; you can't carry while using it (and we already knew object attacks were gone)

I like this.

I like this a ton. That just makes so much sense.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

I like this.

I like this a ton. That just makes so much sense.

You know, that's the other thing they're doing. They seem to be trying to cut way down on the distinctions between HeroClix logic and actual logic. Narrative explanations will actually be able to connect with what's going on.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Also of note is that Pulse Wave uses printed defense values. So, no Defending or Perplexing someone up from outside the blast radius, no Perplexing a target down with the attacker, or anything like that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

You know, that's the other thing they're doing. They seem to be trying to cut way down on the distinctions between HeroClix logic and actual logic. Narrative explanations will actually be able to connect with what's going on.

I am totally down with that - it makes introducing the game to new players so much easier (and fun!).

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Hello friends! I'm looking at getting in to HeroClix along with my 6 year-old son. This was spurred on by him finding my old Mage Knight figures and being intrigued by them along with seeing HeroClix at the local comic book shop. So I'm here at 5 in the morning with some questions!

1) I've read the getting started article on the HeroClix website and it says to start with a starter pack. When I check their listed products it doesn't show any Marvel starter packs. Is there a suggested starter pack that I should purchase? My son really digs Spider-man and the X-men. He's not a big fan of DC so I'd probably stay away from that.

2) Am I going to be shafted on playing in tournaments due to starting my collection so late?

3) I'm not going to have to break the bank ala Warhammer 40k to get a nice collection for the two of us am I?

4) What are some other essentials that I should purchase to go with the game?

I'll dumb the rules down while teaching my son how everything works, he likes playing games and picks up pretty well on tabletop concepts. We have our own Lego minifigs game that kinda works like MageKnight/HeroClix so I'm confident he'll do okay playing. Thanks in advance for any input!

I actually really wanted to chip in here, and add my two cents. I love sharing info with new folks.

1: Well, the X-Men Fast Forces you'll see in stores are actually based on the new-ish time-traveling younger All-New X-Men. So that might not be what your son had in mind. The Spider-Man Fast Forces is neat, and in fact, comes with an amazing Kingpin. However, the Green Goblin doesn't even fly, and the Jonah Jameson inside is pretty boring/useless - so I don't think the thing is worth the cost. Most other folks here have suggested looking elsewhere to start a collection other than starters/fast forces, and I'd agree - they come with outdated rules documents (if they come with anything at all), and often don't come with cardboard terrain/objects or maps. What I would suggest is that you go to CoolStuffINC.com, and pick up a handful of single characters that you and your son love (don't go nuts, spend around $10-15). You can supplement your collection with a booster or few from your local shop of some sets that look interesting. This is a game, and you should be having fun - buy your favorite characters, learn the game, and worry about investing in tons of pieces later.

2: I'm lucky in that my local shop has a casual Saturday where new players and 'fun' are encouraged. If you can't find such events on http://win.wizkids.com, call around to a few shops to see if they hold casual clix events, or have things for new/learning players, with a focus on younger kids. If not, I'd suggest going by yourself to a weekly event, meeting the judge, and seeing if they plan such events. Otherwise, if your plan is just to go and start playing on a weekly basis, you'll probably lose a good bit at first as you pick up the game - but that's okay! Stick with it. :) (And once veteran players hear you're new and starting a collection, they'll be ready the next week with a mountain of commons to give you.)

3: I mean, you can go nuts, but compared to Warhammer, Clix is cheaper. But it's one of those hobbies you can spend $20 a month on, or $200. The game's been around for 15 years, so don't rush to get everything all at once.

4: Honestly, you can get by at home with your son playing with $5 worth of pieces on a checkerboard using pennies for tokens, and matchbox cars for objects. But, if you want to play with the fanciest, neatest stuff:

- Get a type of storage box for organizing your valuable figures. A lot of folks here love Plano. Craft stores also sell plastic storageware for separating jewelry and trinkets as well. Definitely find something you can use to cart your gear around - like a tacklebox. I use a Sterilite sewing storage tub with a handle, and it's like $7 at Target. Inside I use various storage things to organize everything.
- You'll need maps. Neoprene maps are about $24, and are pretty nice - though I wonder how long they last. Paper maps are all over eBay for $3-10 each. And, a lot of shops will let you have maps for some events - they may just give you some for being new, too. New players are great for stores, and they'll want to keep you.
- Action tokens are a must - you can use aquarium stones, poker chips, pennies, dice, whatever. I use MLB and WWE Chipz, which are cheap and easy to get on eBay and Amazon. Dollar Tree sells 4-packs for a buck.
- You can get cardboard objects and terrain markers on eBay instead of buying a starter for them. You can also get them printed on poker chips from BigBullyGaming.com, along with all kinds of other tokens. Bully also sells Line-of-Sight tools, which are great - but not necessary.
- WizKids put out ClixFX token packs, which I love - they're about $12 or so, but only some shops will have them. They're on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/ClixFX-Bases/dp/B01DJSF2PC/. Not necessary, but fun. They're used to denote special effects on the map, or for characters (Smoke Cloud, Barrier, etc.).
- Get card sleeves (solid back with transparent front), and a card box (Deck Box or some such) for your stat cards. You could also get hard plastic card protectors, too, if you want to protect your cards, or set them apart from your opponent. Card sleeves are to "hide" the card backs of newer figures, whose dials are revealed - but your opponent isn't meant to see that information.
- There are all manner of trays for Clix: Hero Trays, Trollmanufacturing trays, and so on. Just Google Heroclix tray. Seems like overkill, but these things are a godsend when trying to move from table to table with your team during a tournament.
- Lastly, make sure you have a handful of dice for all sorts of things. You'll need a second pair when your first pair fail you, other dice to keep track of counters, and so on.

The only thing I'll add is that you're coming in at an odd time - you want to master the rules and teach your son to play, but the game is going to have a rules overhaul in the next few months. For the most part, the general concepts of the game will remain the same, but you may want to keep it super-casual until summertime, as they roll out the new rules.

In the meantime, I highly recommend The TableTop Teacher's YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCWcWOXdf-CG6K1gTFgjNNxA

These videos have excellent production values, and are very easy to follow. Even if the rules are going to change, he offers great advice - like which Fast Forces packs are best for new players.

Good luck!

Edit: I almost forgot - I have a blog (http://clixkit.tumblr.com) I've used to share information about accessories and stuff, though I haven't updated it in a few months (We have a baby coming soon, too. And we moved and remodeled a home. And I just changed jobs. All in the last 6 months.)

Red fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 18, 2017

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Right, I suppose I should chime in on advice for newbies too. I should probably put some of this in the OP.
  • The Rules: These come in starters. Wizkids hasn't made a new rulebook/PAC since 2014. You can download anything you absolutely need here. Since they switched to the new site it seems the old print-and-play stuff is gone, so if you're missing a card for a set up to and including Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (NFAoS), you can probably get it somehow. They discontinued print-and-play after that set, though, seemingly because DC decided they didn't want their IP up for download, never mind that it's kind of necessary to play the game and it's good to be able to replace lost copies. I do have to stress that you shouldn't just use an old copy of the PAC to learn the powers because while they will help you learn which color in which slot corresponds to which power, you'll learn old rules and it'll all get confusing. The same goes for the rulebook itself. You do need both to play, so just download and print them. Yes, print them. For how you'll use them it'll just be better than constantly having to flip around in a PDF, especially on a tablet or phone.
  • Storage: I personally use the Plano Deep Prolatch Stowaway, model # 2-3730-05. Having been playing since the fall of 2004, I use the HELL out of it, as illustrated here (not pictured: The Spectre). I find it tends to have generous storage space inside that allows for stacking figures comfortably while themselves stacking neatly. I tend to get them at my local Menards.
  • Tokens: You can use glass beads. You can use dice, but those can get confusing when rolling, especially if you're using the same kind of dice you roll to mark your characters. I recommend poker chips because they have a variety of potential uses and fit easily under standard-based characters. Certainly you can get the cheap kits basically anywhere, but I got a variety of colors from American Gaming Supply. I got white and purple to represent the not-long-for-this-world Ultra-Light and Ultra-Heavy objects. I got yellow and red for standard Light and Heavy objects. I got all kinds of other colors to make sure that if I had to mark a bunch of different things I could do that without it getting confusing. For example, I ran a team of multiple Gorilla Soldiers and a Power Battery. I had to keep track of which gorilla was which for purposes of knowing what Construct was on which card, so I put pairs of different chips—distinct from what I was using to mark actions— on the card and under the corresponding Gorilla Soldier. I typically use orange and pink chips to mark characters' actions because nothing else uses those colors. If I make a bystander token, I print it out on cardstock, punch it out with a 1 7/16" hole punch, and glue it onto a green chip (because bystander tokens have a green ring). I do the same if I'm making a special object token, putting it on a chip that corresponds to the color for its weight (red=heavy, yellow=light, blue=immobile, etc.). If you order from AGS, though, I do suggest you go in with somebody to both get a good variety and share the shipping. Their flat-rate shipping is a good deal because poker chips get pretty heavy, but it starts at $12. I do suggest you use the composite chips because the plastic ones are just plain crap all-around. The uneven surface doesn't let things sit on them as well in my experience.
  • Maps: Yes, you probably need to hit up eBay to get a good variety of maps. Make sure you know which maps are legal for Modern Age play because they do rotate with their sets, plus some maps that would otherwise be legal have been banned from Modern anyway, including the newest map (one side is too ripe for abuse by figures with Hypersonic Speed and range) because Wizkids has a tendency to do first and think later. When they actually start producing starters in a meaningful way again (TMNT has one), you can get a map in those.
  • Line of fire: You can get a pack of badge reels from the Great Satan of Commerce, a.k.a. Wal-Mart for something like $4. Measure center-to-center on the squares you're drawing to/from and you're good, but that can still get hard to eyeball sometimes. You can download an app for it (I have LOFA for Android) or use a website like this one.
  • Trays/transport: The fancy trays are nice and I'm going to look at 3D printing them soon, but if you want something to tote your figures around in during tournaments you can get the plastic tray that comes at the bottom of a HeroClix brick probably for free from your store. They probably just throw the things out when they open a brick, so ask them if they'd be willing to hold onto a few of them for you. As for your tokens, though, you can easily store them in a tacklebox (en masse) or for transport you can put them in wide-mouthed pill bottles you should be able to get at your local pharmacy.

Is there anything else I should add?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 18, 2017

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

[*]Trays/transport: The fancy trays are nice and I'm going to look at 3D printing them soon, but if you want something to tote your figures around in during tournaments you can get the plastic tray that comes at the bottom of a HeroClix brick probably for free from your store. They probably just throw the things out when they open a brick, so ask them if they'd be willing to hold onto a few of them for you.

Believe it or not, the inside bubble that comes in a WizKids dice and token pack is perfect and cheap for serving as a clix tray.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Thanks for the advice everyone! Ended up getting a couple booster packs at the local gaming shop where I used to buy all my MageKnight and Magic stuff from over a decade and a half ago. The same guy still runs the shop so he hooked us up with a ton of maps and a Spider-Man fast forces pack. So far we've played a couple of super casual (only worrying about movement, attack, defense, and damage) games and my son loves it. I even got my wife intrigued and we played a real match, as best as we could with how many rules we tried to learn as we went, and she enjoyed it. The only knock I have against the game is I'm bitten by the "one more pack!" bug already, the beginnings of an addiction. :negative:

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We did another auction event this past weekend. Ten players, each with a $5 bidding pool, working our way through a case of Deadpool, along with some X-Men, Age of Ultron, and a smattering of older boosters. As usual, the bidding took about three hours, and was a ton of fun.

Deadpool made for an interesting set to auction. The X-Force figures easily set records for the highest-ever bids on commons and uncommons, with Cable and Domino both reaching around $1.50. I didn't have much of a plan, coming in. I'd decided on a few good pieces that I didn't think anyone would care about to use as a base (Angel Dust, for example), and so started there. But, as things progressed, I started getting an animal theme going, although I lost out on the only Squirrel Girl that got pulled. Then Fenris popped up, and my plans changed. Spent more of my bidding pool than I wanted to pick them up, but they were one of the two super rares that I'd decided to pick up if they showed up, and I stuck to it. So I shifted to building a ranged squad, under the mistaken impression that Howard the Duck could use his damage power to shut off Stealth (darn you, requiring line of fire!)

I ended up running the mismatched menagerie of: Fenris, 2x Hit-Monkey, Howard the Duck, Tippy-Toe, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, a Ninja, a Rogue Scientist, vet Silver Sable from Mutant Mayhem, and a vet SHIELD Agent from Sinister. The idea was that Howard could shut off all the Stealth in the set, Fenris shoots with SHIELD and Hydra bumps, then the Scientist Outwits any reducers and the Monkeys follow up. Other than the Stealth part, the plan still worked, and as luck would have it, I only faced off against one Stealthy figure the whole time.

Round one was up against the common Storm from UXM, and then Hank Pym and a bunch of Ultron drones (Ultron-1 and Future drones at full, and some smaller ones). Tippy-Toe drew first blood, pinging Pym for a damage and knocking him off his good damage power, and he remained the target, since Storm was Stealthy and the Drones were hanging back until Ultron-1 could push to his special power that gives him a 50% chance of respawning them. Pym went down to a flurry of monkey bullets, and the Ultrons swarmed in. The game ended up being pretty even, with heavy losses on both sides. Thanks to respawning Drones, I won on points as time was called, but probably would've lost if it had continued.

Round two was against a full-dial main-mode Future Ultron (yeah, three SR Ultrons were pulled from, like, five Age of Ultron packs) and Cable, who would end up being the only Deadpool figure I faced all night. Two figures against a swarm of my size wasn't the best proposition for my opponent, particularly with all the Outwit I could access thanks to the Scientist. Had lots of figures get wounded here, but only lost the SHIELD Agent. Tippy-Toe landed a critical hit on Cable to KO him and end this one.

Round three... oof. Hercules, She-Hulk, and Ant-Man from Age of Ultron. Would've been a slaughter if I could've won the map roll, but he was themed, and so we ended up on a ROC map with all sorts of walls and small rooms. This started out VERY slowly, with lots of strategic positioning. I had a chance to swing things early, as both Hit-Monkeys were able to take shots at Ant-Man, but after lots of re-rolls, they both whiffed the needed 7. Retribution was swift and harsh - Hercules ran in and squashed the Scientist and a Monkey, and She-Hulk followed it up by taking down the Ninja. I started losing figures left and right, but I had plenty to lose. Fenris tagged Hercules to make him less dangerous, and Hit-Monkey finally managed to take down Ant-Man. Hercules got worn down, and good old Silver Sable was able to tag him to finish him off. She-Hulk was still sitting pretty after that, and my remaining forces were looking pretty ragged. Time was called, and although I won on points, I'm pretty sure that this is another one I would've lost if we had kept going.

It was a heck of an event... tons of fun, with some interesting teams and great games. I love being able to make old-school figures work for me in those auctions, and both Sable and the SHIELD Agent really pulled their weight and then some.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

New rules post! Mind Control has been completely redesigned; you no longer get access to any of the hit character's powers, but in compensation, anyone you mind control gets to move at half speed and make an attack, in either order. I think it's a good change and I'm excited for it, the sheer possibilities of giving anyone hit charge/running shot/bizarro HSS are immense.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Torrent posted:

We did another auction event this past weekend. Ten players, each with a $5 bidding pool, working our way through a case of Deadpool, along with some X-Men, Age of Ultron, and a smattering of older boosters. As usual, the bidding took about three hours, and was a ton of fun.

Deadpool made for an interesting set to auction. The X-Force figures easily set records for the highest-ever bids on commons and uncommons, with Cable and Domino both reaching around $1.50. I didn't have much of a plan, coming in. I'd decided on a few good pieces that I didn't think anyone would care about to use as a base (Angel Dust, for example), and so started there. But, as things progressed, I started getting an animal theme going, although I lost out on the only Squirrel Girl that got pulled. Then Fenris popped up, and my plans changed. Spent more of my bidding pool than I wanted to pick them up, but they were one of the two super rares that I'd decided to pick up if they showed up, and I stuck to it. So I shifted to building a ranged squad, under the mistaken impression that Howard the Duck could use his damage power to shut off Stealth (darn you, requiring line of fire!)

I ended up running the mismatched menagerie of: Fenris, 2x Hit-Monkey, Howard the Duck, Tippy-Toe, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, a Ninja, a Rogue Scientist, vet Silver Sable from Mutant Mayhem, and a vet SHIELD Agent from Sinister. The idea was that Howard could shut off all the Stealth in the set, Fenris shoots with SHIELD and Hydra bumps, then the Scientist Outwits any reducers and the Monkeys follow up. Other than the Stealth part, the plan still worked, and as luck would have it, I only faced off against one Stealthy figure the whole time.

Round one was up against the common Storm from UXM, and then Hank Pym and a bunch of Ultron drones (Ultron-1 and Future drones at full, and some smaller ones). Tippy-Toe drew first blood, pinging Pym for a damage and knocking him off his good damage power, and he remained the target, since Storm was Stealthy and the Drones were hanging back until Ultron-1 could push to his special power that gives him a 50% chance of respawning them. Pym went down to a flurry of monkey bullets, and the Ultrons swarmed in. The game ended up being pretty even, with heavy losses on both sides. Thanks to respawning Drones, I won on points as time was called, but probably would've lost if it had continued.

Round two was against a full-dial main-mode Future Ultron (yeah, three SR Ultrons were pulled from, like, five Age of Ultron packs) and Cable, who would end up being the only Deadpool figure I faced all night. Two figures against a swarm of my size wasn't the best proposition for my opponent, particularly with all the Outwit I could access thanks to the Scientist. Had lots of figures get wounded here, but only lost the SHIELD Agent. Tippy-Toe landed a critical hit on Cable to KO him and end this one.

Round three... oof. Hercules, She-Hulk, and Ant-Man from Age of Ultron. Would've been a slaughter if I could've won the map roll, but he was themed, and so we ended up on a ROC map with all sorts of walls and small rooms. This started out VERY slowly, with lots of strategic positioning. I had a chance to swing things early, as both Hit-Monkeys were able to take shots at Ant-Man, but after lots of re-rolls, they both whiffed the needed 7. Retribution was swift and harsh - Hercules ran in and squashed the Scientist and a Monkey, and She-Hulk followed it up by taking down the Ninja. I started losing figures left and right, but I had plenty to lose. Fenris tagged Hercules to make him less dangerous, and Hit-Monkey finally managed to take down Ant-Man. Hercules got worn down, and good old Silver Sable was able to tag him to finish him off. She-Hulk was still sitting pretty after that, and my remaining forces were looking pretty ragged. Time was called, and although I won on points, I'm pretty sure that this is another one I would've lost if we had kept going.

It was a heck of an event... tons of fun, with some interesting teams and great games. I love being able to make old-school figures work for me in those auctions, and both Sable and the SHIELD Agent really pulled their weight and then some.

Do you have a breakdown of how the bidding and buy-in works?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Do you have a breakdown of how the bidding and buy-in works?

Sure, it's actually pretty easy. This one was to celebrate our host's upcoming baby, so the buy-in was diapers and other baby supplies, but it is typically a $30 event. We go one booster at a time. Crack the booster, see what's inside, and then everybody bids for first pick from the contents. You don't have to say what you're bidding for - it's usually obvious, but sometimes you will see big bidding wars going on, with people actually trying to get different figures. We had one bid go up to about 90 cents, where most people were trying for a Domino, but the guy who won just wanted Phantomex. After that, it repeats for the second, third, fourth, and final picks. Whoever buys the final figure also gets to choose which booster is opened next.

To mix things up, we also have gravity feed boosters, which are always blind buys. Usually, you know which set you're buying, but not the figure. However, this time we had a blind box, full of all sorts of gravity feed boosters, and you were just bidding on a pull from the box.

Once everything has sold, which usually takes about three hours, you build your force out of the figures that you bought. Any leftover money can be used to buy a use of PC at 25 cents a pop, but other than that, it is a standard tournament at that point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hey who likes rules posts! Invincible is getting a side-grade to do basically the same thing but with clearer wording and precision strike is taking a limited and much needed nerf.

And also they're rendering energy explosion basically useless again. It's worth reading the article just for the extremely long self-justifying explanation they go off on, which somehow never manages to mentioning how it was pretty good to be able to deal your printed damage power to single targets. Which is weird, I thought! So I also thought I'd do literally five seconds of detective work and make a search on HCRealms. Want to guess how many characters in the game have EE and at least 3 damage?

748. They're nerfing 748 characters here. Not counting Deadpool.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

your retarded

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Hey who likes rules posts! Invincible is getting a side-grade to do basically the same thing but with clearer wording and precision strike is taking a limited and much needed nerf.

And also they're rendering energy explosion basically useless again. It's worth reading the article just for the extremely long self-justifying explanation they go off on, which somehow never manages to mentioning how it was pretty good to be able to deal your printed damage power to single targets. Which is weird, I thought! So I also thought I'd do literally five seconds of detective work and make a search on HCRealms. Want to guess how many characters in the game have EE and at least 3 damage?

748. They're nerfing 748 characters here. Not counting Deadpool.

- Does the change in wording to Sidestep actually change... anything?
- The wording for Precision Strike is interesting. I like that it references 'rolls to evade'. I know there are only a handful of pieces that use that wording, but still.
- At first glance, Invincible sounds nerfed, but the math reveals it's pretty much staying the same - but with a cap, if you will.
- Energy explosion just effectively became ranged quake. Huh.

I'm really okay with all of these changes, though the change to EE will take getting used to.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

These Energy Explosion changes feel like another instance of overcorrecting a minor issue. If so many people had an issue with psy blast/ee or there were odd interactions with pulse wave, then making it an action in an of itself solves that issue, while the flat 2 damage splash limits multi-target figures while also buffing inexpensive ones with a single target.

Limiting the primary target to 2 damage vastly reduces the efficacy of it as a power, especially with the Invincible change in the same exact article. And just to add insult to injury, splash damage now targets adjacent figures so they can shape change or use other powers to duck even being targeted, removing the other great strength of EE.

They did the same thing with Outwit, allowing you to counter traits and other bestowed powers was an probably inevitable, but adding pre-Outwit seems much, especially with the malarkey reasoning that Outwit isn't currently powerful enough (Outwit is the bane of my teams as recently as last night, it works perfectly fine without either tweak).

Edit: actually thinking of it as a ranged Quake does help put me at ease with the change somewhat, except I wish EE had the oomph of guaranteed knockback or something as well

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 23, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I've calmed down on EE, but I still don't like it. If you had any way to do your printed damage to anybody it'd be better, but as it is I really don't like the choice between not being able to dent anyone with at least invul or not using the power at all.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Sanschel posted:

Limiting the primary target to 2 damage vastly reduces the efficacy of it as a power, especially with the Invincible change in the same exact article. And just to add insult to injury, splash damage now targets adjacent figures so they can shape change or use other powers to duck even being targeted, removing the other great strength of EE.

With regards to shape change, please re-read the article. They explicitly state that Shape Change does not apply for the adjacent characters. While more information will be in the new rule book (of course :rolleyes:), an effect stating something "becomes" a target or a hit target (like the new Mastermind) is automatic.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Mutant Headcrab posted:

With regards to shape change, please re-read the article. They explicitly state that Shape Change does not apply for the adjacent characters. While more information will be in the new rule book (of course :rolleyes:), an effect stating something "becomes" a target or a hit target (like the new Mastermind) is automatic.

That one's on me, I misread that part as saying Shape Change would still get to be rolled. As stands I suppose that does still provide a special bonus akin to Quake's. I'm not sure why changing EE bugged me so much, I use it maybe once a month if even.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Last big rules post is a doozy. Probability Control now only works on attack and breakaway rolls. Please discuss, I guess?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

They also removed the "unmodified" stipulation for attack and defense on Support.

The prob change alters a lot of nuance as to things you can reroll, but clears up potential questions massively. I'm curious to see how all these changes play together, ostensibly they're to simplify and speed up the game, but I'm interested to see how people's tactics alter to adjust for differing power uses. Will people use regen less on a regen/prob piece, risking an attack or breakaway because they have a better chance at them? Will blades be worth it with only one shot at the d6? Will people overbuild Outwit onto their teams given how much it can shut down now?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I've calmed down on EE, but I still don't like it. If you had any way to do your printed damage to anybody it'd be better, but as it is I really don't like the choice between not being able to dent anyone with at least invul or not using the power at all.

As I put it in my email to them, there's no reason shooting a target with a gun or bow should do less than a missile.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

I should probably put some of this in the OP.

[ text ]

Is there anything else I should add?

Good question.

Here are a few suggestions:

1: I think it's important to be able to see a match play out - even if the rules/strategy/flow of actions aren't super clear, I think a high-quality video of gameplay with a neat map can illustrate what the game has to offer. Maybe this is one of those videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERGU4ol2WnU

2: I am a super fan of TableTop Teacher and his YouTube videos of Heroclix - I would vote for his stuff appearing in the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCWcWOXdf-CG6K1gTFgjNNxA

3: I'd suggest a breakdown of necessary and suggested materials for playing. Necessary: dice, figures, map / Suggested: ClixFX bases, high-quality tokens, line of fire tool

4: A link to HCRealms with an explanation of the units section.

I'd suggest links to rules and strategy resources, but that's all gonna change soon.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Speaking only from personal experience the thing that really helped me early on when I was playing was doing Play by Post stuff. It lets you really think and debate what moves you want to make and before there were dials on cards you could check things and see "Ok if I do this amount of damage he's crippled and I can move on to other things".

One day everything just sort of clicked and I started winning more than I lost. I started like 13 years ago (oh my god I'm old) though, and I definitely would have killed for a units section like we have now. That thing is a great resource and really why you put up with the realms.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

no Wizkids stop what did the bottom of the barrel ever do to you

He's actually not bad at all for 40 points, but holy poo poo, talk about the Z list.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Are you kidding? I want a Z-List keyword.

Although 'Emissaries of Evil' might cover it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rules revisions from feedback are up. In short: Hide is dead and heavy objects just hinder LOF, Poison is a FREE but you can't have moved yet, BCF is minimum printed damage value -1, Regen is heal half the d6, Support will always heal at least 2 but no more than 4, and Mind Control feedback is gone.

Also there's a line pretty much hand-crafted to piss me in particular off on the "why we're not changing Energy Explosion" section. I wasn't mad about 3 bolts, I was mad about 3 printed damage! Acknowledge that characters with EE could do 3 or more damage to their primary target, god drat it! :mad:

The rest of it's pretty good though I think.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Poison at any time during the turn is interesting. TK a guy to your Poisoner and activate it. Punch a guy then poison him if you haven't moved or been placed.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Woah, that blades change removes a huge issue of contention I had with it: why would I roll it for anybody with a 3+ damage? Knowing I'm going to have something stick in most circumstances vastly improves that power.

Saddened that pre-Outwit remains a thing, that's the change I dread the most.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Poison at any time during the turn is interesting. TK a guy to your Poisoner and activate it. Punch a guy then poison him if you haven't moved or been placed.

Unless they change it, TK does place the character, so no Poison then. I like that tweak they made. I like even more that I got a shoutout as one of the people suggesting the tweak! Here's what I actually suggested to them:

quote:

Poison: During your action phase, before you give any costed actions you may deal 1 damage to each adjacent opposing character.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?

ManiacClown posted:

Unless they change it, TK does place the character, so no Poison then. I like that tweak they made. I like even more that I got a shoutout as one of the people suggesting the tweak! Here's what I actually suggested to them:

I think he was suggesting you use a TK piece to move another character adjacent to your poison piece. This wouldn't break the move or place on the character who has poison.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

DaMangoSentinel posted:

I think he was suggesting you use a TK piece to move another character adjacent to your poison piece. This wouldn't break the move or place on the character who has poison.

This would be correct.

Also works with Mind Control to move a guy next to your Poisoner. Then your Poisoner can attack the guy. And then he can Poison.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Hey! It's a scary doomsday that will laugh off any superman who tries to take him one on one.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8835330&postcount=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Hey! It's a scary doomsday that will laugh off any superman who tries to take him one on one.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8835330&postcount=1
Jesus Christ, look at that monster. He'd laugh off AoU Hulk.

• Locked thread