Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Character trait spoiled
Future Security Chief: -100% to agent success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

albany academy posted:

Character trait spoiled

+100% success against minor characters, -100% against unique characters.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

albany academy posted:

Character trait spoiled

wiegieman posted:

+100% success against minor characters, -100% against unique characters.

Given the weirdness of the timeline such that Starfleet has a Department of Temporal Affairs(Inquisitor-a-like?) I feel this could be reworded. Something like 'Potential For Greatness'? Also cap it at 25%. Romulan characters get something like +5/10/15% as an additional racial trait.

Klingons get racial +health, but malus to diplomacy.

Planets are your cities/castles. The real question is 'is an assault a land map or a space map'?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Get this non-historical crap OUT!!!1 of MY Total War series!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Aurubin posted:

Star Trek is future history my man

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Aurubin posted:

I don't wanna loving play Lizardmen

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

V for Vegas posted:

That is totally a Lustrian temple

Well that and the file is WarhammerII\Introducing\tempSting\AE\jungle_scene.aep

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Are they calling this TW:W2 or is it an expansion? What is going on with this thing?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Don't worry, MBG, you don't have to play as Lizardmen--

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
you also have the option of being played by lizardmen

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JBP posted:

Are they calling this TW:W2 or is it an expansion? What is going on with this thing?

It's both.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

JBP posted:

It's a trilogy of standalones, but it's rumored that they link together somehow into one huge map with all factions present if you own several.
The end turn waiting times are gonna be epic.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The lag is going to be something else, that's for sure.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'd wager they connect through a portal function ala Empire. The current map can get pretty grody by the time Chaos has laid waste to the Empire.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

So there's a whole new gimmick in this games that isn't chaos rocks up? loving nice.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Constantine XI posted:

Wondering if The Journey's End achievement (complete all quest lines for any LL) is triggering for anyone? I've completed a bunch and I've yet to get credit for it. I feel like it may be bugged.

I almost thought you asked if it upset anybody, but yes I got it recently on my orc playthrough i think with grimnir

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Babe Magnet posted:

no gently caress that I want Total War Animal Kingdoms now, holy poo poo

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY AS loving ANTELOPES

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

albany academy posted:

Total War set during the time of Kahless. Historical and fantasy.

I am not sure about the unit roster though.

Shouty Men with Knives
Shouty Men with Sticks
Shouty Men with Unwieldy Two-Handed Blade Things.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

JBP posted:

So there's a whole new gimmick in this games that isn't chaos rocks up? loving nice.

I mean, from a lore perspective they could just have Valkia or somebody invade from the part of the Chaos Wastes connected to Naggoroth. I half wonder if the Skaven will be the existential threat, or heck, they may not even go for an apocalyptic scenario. I kinda like the idea of Chaos trying to muck up the Great Vortex, with unending waves of Chaos invaders until you haul your rear end to Ulthuan and put poo poo right in a battle with 2-3 reinforcements, because it's still a wargame. Sort of a combination of the battle for the Great Oak and the Bretonnian errantry war. For the High Elves...tweak it so you prevent Morathi from mucking it up from afar? For the Skaven, kill everybody and take their poo poo, then blow up the moon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anything that creates more open field battles and less sieges is going to be fine by me.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

First time this has ever been actually typed out. Such utter nonsense has never been even dreamed of.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait to stomp a rat with a dinosaur.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We probably won't get Ogre Kingdoms til the next game right?
I wanna see how they play, knowing CA until they're patched they'll have weak Ogres and deadly gnoblar light infantry.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Aurubin posted:

I mean, from a lore perspective they could just have Valkia or somebody invade from the part of the Chaos Wastes connected to Naggoroth. I half wonder if the Skaven will be the existential threat, or heck, they may not even go for an apocalyptic scenario. I kinda like the idea of Chaos trying to muck up the Great Vortex, with unending waves of Chaos invaders until you haul your rear end to Ulthuan and put poo poo right in a battle with 2-3 reinforcements, because it's still a wargame. Sort of a combination of the battle for the Great Oak and the Bretonnian errantry war. For the High Elves...tweak it so you prevent Morathi from mucking it up from afar? For the Skaven, kill everybody and take their poo poo, then blow up the moon.

I see Valkia coming with Chaos Proper in game 3.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

JBP posted:

Can't wait to stomp a rat with a dinosaur.

A quick rundown in my head of Lizardman units that wouldn't potentially eat their opponents comes down to herbivore dinosaurs and the Slann. That said, in contrast I think it's safe to say every Beastmen and Ork unit would probably chow down on most of those they fought, ickier nurglite/undead and prohibitively spiky ones notwithstanding.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Lizardmen are Pontus/10

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Zore posted:

Which has an okayish game in Steam Early Access currently.

3rd person Rpgish game where you switch between control of your ship and fighting man to man on deck. You can only play as an Empire or Chaos captain but they have most of the random crazy rear end ships from the other factions running around as enemies.

Its a weird and barebones game, like a limited and seabound Mount and Blade.

I got it early access, and tbh, I'm not holding my breath on it. The core gameplay just is not really there and not really that interesting/good. The ship/ship combat is kind of ehh and feels pretty off, and the melee combat in particular is pretty dreadful; its not even complicated and yet it comes off as really terrible each time I've messed with it. And yeah, early access, but generally I think they really should knuckle down and focus in on making the barebones ship-to-ship combat stuff feel very right and tight before adding in secondary features and stuff.

I've had it described to me that if you try to make Mario, you keep tuning the poo poo out of one thing at a time rather than trying to do everything at once. Like the first pass is just "no enemies, no items, hell, no platforms", just "run forward, jump over a pit", and if that doesn't feel good, you don't add anything else. Only when that's settled, do you try to add more poo poo on top of it, because if that doesn't work, then nothing else you add will do anything to alleviate the core issues.

idk tho how that philosophy really works in practice. maybe different people are working on different things. but the fact that the core of the game feels more clunky and rough than a gmod lua script disaster doesn't strike me as a good sign.

also they made the skaven look like their old bad tabletop models with long monkey arms and bad faces and poo poo and that is terrible

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Personally I can't wait to see Lizardmen in action, that'd be the most exciting part of this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I got it early access, and tbh, I'm not holding my breath on it. The core gameplay just is not really there and not really that interesting/good. The ship/ship combat is kind of ehh and feels pretty off, and the melee combat in particular is pretty dreadful; its not even complicated and yet it comes off as really terrible each time I've messed with it. And yeah, early access, but generally I think they really should knuckle down and focus in on making the barebones ship-to-ship combat stuff feel very right and tight before adding in secondary features and stuff.

I've had it described to me that if you try to make Mario, you keep tuning the poo poo out of one thing at a time rather than trying to do everything at once. Like the first pass is just "no enemies, no items, hell, no platforms", just "run forward, jump over a pit", and if that doesn't feel good, you don't add anything else. Only when that's settled, do you try to add more poo poo on top of it, because if that doesn't work, then nothing else you add will do anything to alleviate the core issues.

idk tho how that philosophy really works in practice. maybe different people are working on different things. but the fact that the core of the game feels more clunky and rough than a gmod lua script disaster doesn't strike me as a good sign.

also they made the skaven look like their old bad tabletop models with long monkey arms and bad faces and poo poo and that is terrible

Oh, I agree. Its why I said its 'okayish' :v:

Still, I've had a decent enough time loving around with it and I hope they do some more. Its got some decent bones for the ship combat at least and I think they could refine that part into something really neat.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah, I'd hope so too. There's a lot of crazy fun stuff to play around with the boats and I'd like to see a good ship-to-ship combat game with that kind of insanity, but it seems to be a real pain in the rear end to try to actually make, especially when you don't abstract away the actual dudes on deck and poo poo like that.

e: it looks like they're taking a lot of their game-play elements from Assassin's Creed Black Flag. And on one hand, it looks like that played pretty well (but I haven't actually played it myself despite owning because I keep forgetting since its on that one Ubisoft service thing :v: ), but on the other hand, that's also a triple A title and trying to copy that kind of thing is uh, hard.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aurubin posted:

It's a double fake. It is Warhammer II, only that's not Lustria, but a temple in Ind, the definitely not incredibly thinly veiled India of the Warhammer Fantasy world. Cathay, Nippon, hell even Khuresh incoming!

The monkey's paw bargain is that all their units are just Empire clones.

I unironically would like to see them adapt those factions, throwing out the crappy stereotypical crap (which you could handwave by saying the offensive parts of the previous fluff was written by ignorant/racist Empire scholars).

Although obviously this should probably only be done after they've added all the established factions.

CA have done enough historical games they could probably differentiate the human sub-factions pretty well, and avoid just churning out stereotypes.

GW would probably never allow it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Controversial opinion, but I think some stereotypical aspects in e.g. unit selection is actually good. It adds distinctiveness to the different factions. And like, while stuff like magical flying carpets are cliches in narrative fiction, they are actually quite fresh and new in terms of strategy game units that you can control in battle. As long as they aren't terribly negative stereotypes, I don't see any real issue in having notChinese shaolin monks drop kicking chaos warriors.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fangz posted:

Controversial opinion, but I think some stereotypical aspects in e.g. unit selection is actually good. It adds distinctiveness to the different factions. And like, while stuff like magical flying carpets are cliches in narrative fiction, they are actually quite fresh and new in terms of strategy game units that you can control in battle. As long as they aren't terribly negative stereotypes, I don't see any real issue in having notChinese shaolin monks drop kicking chaos warriors.

I want an army of farmers with buck teeth and conical hats

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i came up with a new worst case scenario: skaven are revealed, and they're based on these models

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 30, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Indecisive posted:

I almost thought you asked if it upset anybody, but yes I got it recently on my orc playthrough i think with grimnir

:captainpop:

That's a grudgin'.

Also Araby is cool and good, 1001 Nights Arabs Vs magic crusaders and undead Bronze Age Egypt is a pretty great premise, and I do have hope to see them if for no reasons other than the Tomb Kings need someone to fight and CA needs faction DLC to sell, and they at least have a Warmaster army list that can be expanded. They're also known as having extensive trade with the Sea Elves and the Lizardmen, so there's also that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh nooo it's 1200 clanrats, all marching in perfect lockstep like the VC skeletons

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i came up with a new worst case scenario: skaven are revealed, and they're based on these models

he*k yeah

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I hope they recorded more dialogue for the older factions in the sequel. It be a shame to start up a Lizardpeople campaign, click on an Empire faction have them say

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
no reason they couldn't have done that in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tiler Kiwi posted:

no reason they couldn't have done that in advance

They didn't do it in advance for the DLC factions, but I guess we'll see.

• Locked thread