Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Welp the frankenstein machine worked out pretty well and I'm looking at getting decent hardware.

Is it worth getting the 1700X over the base 1700, or am I better off just overclocking the 1700 and sticking a fat water cooling block on it?

Anything other than the 1700 is a ripoff compared to it, you might get an extra 100-200MHz if you are lucky and you go with an 1800X, pretty much every Ryzen 7 CPU will do at least 3.9GHz, and many 1700s will do 4GHz, especially on water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Welp the frankenstein machine worked out pretty well and I'm looking at getting decent hardware.

Is it worth getting the 1700X over the base 1700, or am I better off just overclocking the 1700 and sticking a fat water cooling block on it?

Depends on price. At Microcenter, the 1700X costs $20 more than a 1700.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Zero Gravitas posted:

I would just get the 1700 with better cooling. The 1700x is more likely to hit 3.9 @ 1.363V or something but you'll need the cooling to be able to do that.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Theres a fifty quid difference between the 1700 and 1700X, then theres VAT at 20% on top of that. You folks are right that a basic water cooler is basically the same as the price difference. Looks like I'll be getting a 1700 if I can find a water cooler that has got fittings for AM4.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Corsair mailed me to say they are shipping all pre-ordered AM4 brackets by April 7th. Don't forget some people might buy your wraith spire RGB because of RGB, which further improves the value of the 1700.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I got a 1700 for $250. Can the wraith cooler over clock well or I am I better getting s hyper 212 or another aftermarket CPU cooler

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rabid Snake posted:

I got a 1700 for $250. Can the wraith cooler over clock well or I am I better getting s hyper 212 or another aftermarket CPU cooler

get a all in one if overclocking is the answer?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
From what i've heard is the wraith is decent up to about 95w which can probably get you up to around 3.6-3.7. Some people claim they're hitting 4.0 @ 1.35v or something on the wraith, but I bet that works for about 10s under stress tests before it shuts down due to thermals. If you're going to overclock, I'd get something better than a 212

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rabid Snake posted:

Ryzen needs to be run at fairly high voltages and produces a lot of heat so it's recommended that you go with a 240-280mm AIO if you want to get the most out of your chip.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Check them gains, brah.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ashes-Singularity-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

Courtesy of PCPer twitter, before and after of Ryzen performance pass.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 30, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 30, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm not seeing min frame results in those tests, what are they showing for that?

E-^^ I rechecked and assumed I was just missing something :v:

quote:

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard (1002) and upgraded to some Geil RGB (!!) memory capable of running at 3200 MHz on this board with a single BIOS setting adjustment.
Maybe useful info.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I wonder if Golden Emperor International Ltd is aware that their trademark means "horny" in German

ja, ich bin sehr GeIL bb ;-*

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Perfect. Wonder how that affects sales in Germany.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paul MaudDib posted:

edit: wait that's not min/average fps

I'm assuming it's average FPS in different software versions. No idea what they're trying to show in the one below it. It's clearly not average frame times since higher results were presumably better. The second graph is just FPS in current version over previously obtained value.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 30, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jesus Paul edit your post, we are all going retarded.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm not seeing min frame results in those tests, what are they showing for that?

E-^^ I rechecked and assumed I was just missing something :v:

Maybe useful info.

I thought about excerpting that... but decided it wasn't necessary as they re-ran tests on 2400 MHz as well as 3200 MHz and have both results listed separately there.

eames
May 9, 2009

AMD sale at newegg! :parrot:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This one is of the Piledriver architecture, so I'm not so sure about this.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You mean the part where it says "32nm Vishera 95W" right in the middle wasn't warning enough?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Some dude at /r/amd claims he benchmarked ryzen with same memory at 2133 and 3200, and got pretty big difference in avg fps: https://www.reddit.com/r/amd/comments/62aigz

https://imgur.com/a/sbwqK

Will be interesting to see how close to 7700K amd can get with faster ram, bettwr bioses, optimized games & windows 10 game mode/optimizations. So far it looks like that at launch day a lot of performance was still on left on the table.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wonder if Golden Emperor International Ltd is aware that their trademark means "horny" in German

ja, ich bin sehr GeIL bb ;-*

Horny in Dutch, cool in German.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ihmemies posted:

Some dude at /r/amd claims he benchmarked ryzen with same memory at 2133 and 3200, and got pretty big difference in avg fps: https://www.reddit.com/r/amd/comments/62aigz

Will be interesting to see how close to 7700K amd can get with faster ram, bettwr bioses, optimized games & windows 10 game mode/optimizations. So far it looks like that at launch day a lot of performance was still on left on the table.

Huh. No difference in Blender. That is odd. Even if every thread is completely self-contained without any crosstalk between complexes, you'd think that they would still gain from the increased memory clock.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ihmemies posted:

Finewine :iamafag:

So far the ram speed difference is very slight with my 1700 when benchmarking TotalWar:Warhammer and DoW2 @1080p ultra. The avg fps difference between 2400 and 2933 is basically another 100mhz worth of clockspeed. If that improvement scales perfectly and the IMC doesn't diaf, going up to 3400 or 4000ish would be pretty nice gains given the platfrom is process limited to around 4.0-4.1 ghz.

If you are encoding, doing compression, or compiling there will probably be more visible gains.

AMD posted:

Let’s talk BIOS updates

Finally, we wanted to share with you our most recent work on the AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture for AMD Ryzen™ processors. We call it the AGESA™ for short.

As a brief primer, the AGESA is responsible for initializing AMD x86-64 processors during boot time, acting as something of a “nucleus” for the BIOS updates you receive for your motherboard. Motherboard vendors take the baseline capabilities of our AGESA releases and build on that infrastructure to create the files you download and flash.

We will soon be distributing AGESA point release 1.0.0.4 to our motherboard partners. We expect BIOSes based on this AGESA to start hitting the public in early April, though specific dates will depend on the schedules and QA practices of your motherboard vendor.

BIOSes based on this new code will have four important improvements for you
  • We have reduced DRAM latency by approximately 6ns. This can result in higher performance for latency-sensitive applications.
  • We resolved a condition where an unusual FMA3 code sequence could cause a system hang.
  • We resolved the “overclock sleep bug” where an incorrect CPU frequency could be reported after resuming from S3 sleep.
  • AMD Ryzen™ Master no longer requires the High-Precision Event Timer (HPET).

We will continue to update you on future AGESA releases when they’re complete, and we’re already working hard to bring you a May release that focuses on overclocked DDR4 memory.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 30, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Here's one Finnish guy doing memory speed tests at 1080p, 2133-3600MHz:

https://bbs.io-tech.fi/threads/amd-ryzen-am4-x370-kellotukset-ja-kokemukset.14849/page-34#post-727841

Some games benefit from memory speed more than others. The trend seems to be that you get small to noticeable improvements with faster memory. Does memory speed matter so much with intel cpu's too? 🤔

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Risky Bisquick posted:

quote:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/30/amd-ryzen-community-update-2

I guess I'm benignly pleased about this.

When did we think that AMD was going to bring out their new stepping again? June-ish?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PCGW got some interesting results on the new Ashes Ryzen update

Internal benchmark:

Actual gameplay:

🤔

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Uh-oh.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Was zur Holle?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Hahahahahaha are you kidding me. Did they simply update their benchmark?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

That's, uhhhh, a thing. :raise:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait did they optimize specifically for the benchmark and nothing else or something?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Seems similar to Quack3.exe but on the CPU side if true.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait did they optimize specifically for the benchmark and nothing else or something?

That's probably it. To add insult to injury, Brad Wardell said that patch was the result of 400 developer-hours of work. It wasn't some lone devs side project.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe they test the changes in benchmark before committing them to the actual game? Just in case it screws something up, since it's a new thing and all that...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Better hope so, I would expect a statement to be forthcoming.

eames
May 9, 2009

There's has got to be VW joke in there somewhere :iiaca:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

repiv posted:

That's probably it. To add insult to injury, Brad Wardell said that patch was the result of 400 developer-hours of work. It wasn't some lone devs side project.

I have significant doubts that they would be that blatant when it can be so readily discovered.

Regardless, they've updated their benches with 6900k results, it's looking far more like this is an issue with CPU's and lots of cores:

quote:

Update 31.03.2017: After more time, we have added our 1080p high benchmarks to the DX12 results of the Core i7-6900K as well as its system details in the specifications. The results are as expected for the integrated benchmark: unchanged in the CPU part with a slight decrease in the GPU part - analog to the i7-7700K.

That the Core i7-6900K - despite Intel and AMD system independent Windows installations as well as each freshly downloaded AotS version - in our Savegame also fails and even more clearly than the R7-1800X, amazed. Not because Intel does badly, but because now a pattern can be seen: Savegame and six- or multi-core processors do not come together well. Whether this is due to a specificity of our saves , the results of which we have determined as with the other processors via OCAT , or whether in the real game in contrast to the benchmark perhaps different algorithms are at work, we could not clarify so far. AMD has already been informed prior to the release of our article, and we are working to provide clarification with the developers of AotS.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Adorned points out massive DX12 performance gains by Ryzen when using an AMD GPU instead of the usual Nvidia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tfTZjugDeg

His theory is a better DX12 API that works better for AMD CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I thought the prevailing hypothesis was that AMD GPU drivers have a larger CPU overhead, so alleviating that in any way possible will move more of the bottleneck onto the GPU.

• Locked thread