Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pookel posted:

That sounds quicker and better than what I thought it meant - having each limb tied to a rope attached to a separate horse, and the horses then ridden in four different directions.

That's one definition of "drawn and quartered" and was also known as "disruption".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well since we're onto horrible punishments from antiquity might as well blow the dust off this old thread favorite:

Scaphism or How I Stopped Living and Learned to Die in The Boats

having a pretty bad time posted:

The intended victim was stripped naked and then firmly fastened within the interior space of two narrow rowing boats (or hollowed-out tree trunks) joined together one on top of the other with the head, hands and feet protruding. The condemned was forced to ingest milk and honey, and more honey would be poured on the victim to attract insects, with special attention devoted to the eyes, ears, mouth, face, genitals, and anus. In some cases, the executioner would mix milk and honey and pour that mixture all over the victim. The victim would then be left to float on a stagnant pond or be exposed to the sun. The defenseless individual's feces accumulated within the container, attracting more insects which would eat and breed within the victim's exposed flesh, which—pursuant to interruption of the blood supply by burrowing insects—became increasingly gangrenous.

Yeah, they really came up with inventive bad ways to die back in the day.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

pookel posted:

That sounds quicker and better than what I thought it meant - having each limb tied to a rope attached to a separate horse, and the horses then ridden in four different directions.

I think that's what it usually means. As in the horses draw you apart.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

My version of it comes from an episode of "great British castles" on the bbc, and actually happened to some dickhead English Lord in Cardiff for brutalising the Welsh.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

That's one definition of "drawn and quartered" and was also known as "disruption".

Hence the phrase Disruptive Technology

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

My version of it comes from an episode of "great British castles" on the bbc, and actually happened to some dickhead English Lord in Cardiff for brutalising the Welsh.

we call it the Big British Castle over here

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

NLJP posted:

we call it the Big British Castle over here

that's.... worse

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

On this subject, up until recently I didn't really understand what being "drawn and quartered" meant. I assumed it meant having your arms and legs broken on a rack, but it was actually much worse. You would be strapped to a ladder, and disemboweled with two strokes: one vertically from your chest to your groin, and one horizontally across your belly.

That's only the 'drawn' part. The most common reference you hear (in the UK at least) is to traitors being hung, drawn and quartered.

The hung part is pretty self explanatory. The victim would be hanged, but not until they died, just enough for them to suffer good.

Then they would be 'drawn' as you describe. So called because they were drawing out the entrails. Most people would live for a while after this. Sometimes there's reference to the entrails being thrown on a brazier (still attached) while the victim watched.

Then, once they were dead they would be 'quartered', literally. They would chop off the head, for display locally, then split the body into four quarters. The quarters were sent to the four corners of the kingdom as a reminder not to gently caress with the king. Sends a message in a pre-literacy pre-photography world.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Underwater Shoe posted:

That's only the 'drawn' part. The most common reference you hear (in the UK at least) is to traitors being hung, drawn and quartered.

The hung part is pretty self explanatory. The victim would be hanged, but not until they died, just enough for them to suffer good.

Then they would be 'drawn' as you describe. So called because they were drawing out the entrails. Most people would live for a while after this. Sometimes there's reference to the entrails being thrown on a brazier (still attached) while the victim watched.

Then, once they were dead they would be 'quartered', literally. They would chop off the head, for display locally, then split the body into four quarters. The quarters were sent to the four corners of the kingdom as a reminder not to gently caress with the king. Sends a message in a pre-literacy pre-photography world.

I guess the last part was just too brutal for the beeb

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Huh, so Braveheart was accurate on that.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gatekeeper posted:

:blush:

Speaking of titties, I neglected to mention that a common thread in the stories of the various women who came forward to discuss Gecht's tittycrimes was that Gecht was constantly asking them to slice off their own nipples because he "wanted to see how they worked". Shockingly none of the women were willing to aid in his quest for knowledge. Determined to find an answer to the timeless question "how does titties work" the poor lad was forced to attack the titties with knives and razors because Google didn't exist yet. I don't know how eating and loving the titty would help him figure out how it worked but I am not a scientist.

He just wanted to stay abreast of medical news.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Huh, so Braveheart was accurate on that.

It might be the only accurate part of the movie.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Underwater Shoe posted:

Don't forget the emasculation part!!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Solice Kirsk posted:

It might be the only accurate part of the movie.

Dude I just remembered how hosed up that first person execution scene was in Apocalypto.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well since we're onto horrible punishments from antiquity might as well blow the dust off this old thread favorite:

Scaphism or How I Stopped Living and Learned to Die in The Boats

I believe the boats, along with stuff like the brazen bull, the blood eagle and the iron maiden are pretty much historically unfounded and probably never happened. There are plenty of equally disgusting ways to die like The Wheel though so it's not like they were unbelievable

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
None of these are as cool as being put in a bag with a monkey a dog and a snake and getting chucked off a bridge

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

None of these are as cool as being put in a bag with a monkey a dog and a snake and getting chucked off a bridge

True, but bag technology wasn't where it is today in the middle ages. I bet you'd be hard pressed to fit even a moderately sized gibbon in a bag with a dog, snake, and human back then.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What about a large sack

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

What about a large sack

Haha slow down there copernicus. Sack technology wasn't even at the theoretical stages yet

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's hard for us to imagine a time before sacks, pouches, totes, or even a simple hobo bindle, but none of those things existed until right around 1875.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Impalement is probably one of the worst execution methods but I guess it gets overlooked because of its simplicity

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

Impalement is probably one of the worst execution methods but I guess it gets overlooked because of its simplicity

Death of a thousand cuts looks pretty bad depending on where they start. And that one actually has photographic proof from the early 1900s. Internment is probably terrible too but way longer. I can't find out any information about THAT image of the Mongolian woman in a box but it's haunting as gently caress

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Mar 30, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

you did not get the joke

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

BattleMaster posted:

I've been bored so I'm listening to old podcasts. Dan Carlin's "Prophets of Doom" about the anabaptist rebellion in Munster (1534-1535) is about the worst executions I've heard of. The leaders were ripped apart slowly bit by bit with red hot tongs for a mandatory one hour before they were allowed to die. That's up there with death of a thousand cuts.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Mar 30, 2017

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Here's another antiquated method of execution, popular in the 16th-18th century. It was usually done using cannons:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_from_a_gun

"The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some forty or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen."

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Here's another antiquated method of execution, popular in the 16th-18th century. It was usually done using cannons:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_from_a_gun

"The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some forty or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen."

That doesn't seem that bad tbh, quick, little chance of failure, most of the current execution methods in the US are worse than this I think.

The one I will always remember is a medieval technique where you hang a person upside down and just saw them in half with a huge saw. Supposedly the rush of blood to the head meant they could remain conscious quite a while before they passed out from blood loss.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you did not get the joke

If the joke was that the castles are not "great" because they were used to oppress the Welsh/Irish/Scottish, it doesn't really work because they also built their own castles, and most were built by the Normans anyway. If not, feel free to explain.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Aesop Poprock posted:

Death of a thousand cuts looks pretty bad depending on where they start. And that one actually has photographic proof from the early 1900s. Internment is probably terrible too but way longer. I can't find out any information about THAT image of the Mongolian woman in a box but it's haunting as gently caress

mongoliangloryhole.jpg

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

If the joke was that the castles are not "great" because they were used to oppress the Welsh/Irish/Scottish, it doesn't really work because they also built their own castles, and most were built by the Normans anyway. If not, feel free to explain.

It's a Great British Bake Off joke I'm like 99% sure

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

I think the joke was that Big British Castle is an acronym for the BBC, which you mentioned in your post.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Aesop Poprock posted:

I can't find out any information about THAT image of the Mongolian woman in a box but

Are you sure she's being executed? I recall reading somewhere that because most groups in Mongolian were nomadic they didn't have prisons like settled populations do. Because of this they would punish people by placing them in large crates that they could carry around with them on their travels. She might just be a prisoner and could be released at some point. When was that picture taken though? Is it one of those colour photographs that Russian guy made of the empire just before World War I?

cloudchamber has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Mar 30, 2017

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

cloudchamber posted:

Are you sure she's being executed. I recall reading somewhere that because most groups in Mongolian were nomadic they didn't have prisons like settled populations do. Because of this they would punish people by placing them in large crates that they could carry around with them on their travels. She must just be a prisoner who could be released at some point. When was that picture taken though? Is it one of those colour pictures that Russian guy made of the empire just before World War I?

I was curious, so I did some digging - I traced the image to a National Geographic issue from 1922, which you can see here. It only has the picture, though - no other information. This site has additional, albeit unverified, information on the picture and the person who took it. There doesn't seem to be any corroborating evidence supporting the execution theory, though - the wiki discussion has a bunch of sources that I haven't bothered looking at, but they all seem to point towards this being non-lethal punishment.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

That first link seems to be correct in pointing to it being from a project to photograph the world which a French millionaire funded. I found a BBC documentary about the project which briefly discusses the image. It was part of a series looking at how the nomads would punish prisoners. Person they interview doesn't seem entirely sure about the photo's content and apparently believes the description its photographer provided of it is inaccurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvYpeyGg_j0&t=2215s

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I believe the boats, along with stuff like the brazen bull, the blood eagle and the iron maiden are pretty much historically unfounded and probably never happened. There are plenty of equally disgusting ways to die like The Wheel though so it's not like they were unbelievable

Interesting, I was thinking "wait, iron maidens must be real, aren't there plenty of them in museums?" but it turns out they were all built in the 1800's after the whole concept was concocted. I was quite disappointed to learn that even the Pear of Anguish has nothing factual to back it up.

The Brazen Bull, however, is very real, I've seen it on Wall Street and Trump just finished installing the hatch on the bottom.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He just wanted to stay abreast of medical news.

Well it's an udderly fascinating subject, I'd be on pins and needles waiting for new info as well

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Big British Castles

BBC

British Broadcasting Corporation

it wasn't that good of a joke but you're very dumb

also that bit about most being built by the normans is very wrong, and very little that the celts built could ever rival the English fortifications (look at Ed I's Iron Ring), but that's neither here nor there

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Big British Castles

BBC

British Broadcasting Corporation

it wasn't that good of a joke but you're very dumb

also that bit about most being built by the normans is very wrong, and very little that the celts built could ever rival the English fortifications (look at Ed I's Iron Ring), but that's neither here nor there

haha you are a huge dickhead

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

mongoliangloryhole.jpg

I laughed way too hard at this.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gatekeeper posted:

The Brazen Bull, however, is very real, I've seen it on Wall Street and Trump just finished installing the hatch on the bottom.

Well it's an udderly fascinating subject, I'd be on pins and needles waiting for new info as well

Bulls don't have udders

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Bulls don't have udders

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Wasabi the J posted:

Bulls don't have udders

Our bulls are going to have the best udders. The best.