Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Someone explain that term to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Levar Burton in Roots was Kunta Kinte, but he had the slave name of Toby

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
To be fair within 2 months of getting to Korea after AIT my nickname was Toby, I don't think I heard my actual last name from anyone except the one anal-retentive spergy NCO we had. I just said gently caress it and rolled with it after the first sausage, CO, and BC all called me that within the same day.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CpJpGF8lS8

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TheQuietWilds posted:

We had a kind of slow Asian dude in one of my units that all the black guys called Toby and I'm pretty sure I was the only non-black person who got the reference or it would have been stopped, but I was a grossly irresponsible NCO and let it slide because I thought it was funny.

We had an Asian reservist (Thai) we all called Chuck, Charles and Charlie depending on the mood.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

There was a really small Asian dude that came onto the ship halfway through my first deployment as an E5 who was kinda weird. I gave him the nickname "nuprin".

I went to captains mast for that one

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

App13 posted:

There was a really small Asian dude that came onto the ship halfway through my first deployment as an E5 who was kinda weird. I gave him the nickname "nuprin".

I went to captains mast for that one

Alright I don't get that one

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheQuietWilds posted:

Alright I don't get that one

Little. Yellow. Different.

That was the nuprin (name brand naproxyn iirc) slogan in the 80s.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

A fact I only know because of Wayne's world

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

We had a Chinese dude named "Ping" who got called "Map" a lot because the dude never and refused to use GPS saying that maps were better. He was constantly late to meeting points when we gathered in new areas. He also got the ire of some Dutch Major who was showing us the pistol tables and Ping couldn't do the exercise.

To be fair, Dutch pistol marksmanship is no joke. You can miss one shot out of 20, and two of the tables involve shooting a target twice from prone or standing with holstered weapon and 3 seconds. Ping got as far as pistol out and ready and then out of time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Took an accounting exam on Monday.

Usually I can gauge how I did. This is the first time all semester where I will be equally surprised by an A as I would a C-.

Got an auditing and business law exam today.

Got a 15 minute presentation to an entire department tomorrow on Absalom, Absalom, which is one of the most difficult books I have ever read.

Every semester since I got to the more difficult accounting courses I have hit a point where I feel like everything is falling apart and I might as well drop out of school.This is that week.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

Autocorrect. It's something I'm usually too lazy/stoned/ignorant/whatever to change it.

I legit met the vet who said 'cheese and rice.' Dude was weird.

Add "gently caress" and "loving" to your custom dictionary. You can thank me later.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 29, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just turned off autocorrect because I can actually spell correctly and if I gently caress up it puts a squiggle under it and I can go back and fix it.

It was driving me bananas because I usually add in punctuation manually when typing contractions and it would think that a new word had started. We'll would turn into we'lol so many loving times that I just was done with it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Five minutes 'til and I'm the only one standing outside the lab. :stare:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Does anyone have experience with SMP? I'm an E3 in the OHARNG, will get E4 by tig/tis in July, and I've only been out of AIT for 7 months.. I want to go to Ohio State for a bachelor's in psych, I love their program and the campus and want to go full time, and my tuition is about 95% covered by the Ohio guard scholarship, but I can't afford living expenses as of yet and am trying to stay out of debt. I was surprised to even get accepted, my high school GPA was awful, test scores pretty good, but I'm 23 and haven't had any college. ROTC has a few scholarships that I'm pretty sure can be used to cover all my living expenses, and I'm open to the idea of a commission and going reserves or staying guard, preferably in another field (25B is ok but I wanted to do MI stuff in HUMINT or SIGINT) but aside from a new PL and a cadet in my company telling me I'd be good at it and it's the way to go, I have nobody to go on for experiences etc. I pretty much got no financial aid awards, just the standard federal loan options that aren't enough. It's all pretty dizzying.

Writing all this I guess I should just talk to the SMP recruiter heh

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Naked Bear posted:

Five minutes 'til and I'm the only one standing outside the lab. :stare:

I'm far, far away from being a morning person but I'm still usually 10-15 minutes early. I'd say at least half the kids arrive maybe 5 minutes before the class starts, with almost 1/4 trickling in over the next T+5 or so.

Definitely had that one to begin with though, poo poo's always made me anxious as gently caress if I even start getting close to "only" 5 minutes early.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

rifles posted:

Does anyone have experience with SMP? I'm an E3 in the OHARNG, will get E4 by tig/tis in July, and I've only been out of AIT for 7 months.. I want to go to Ohio State for a bachelor's in psych, I love their program and the campus and want to go full time, and my tuition is about 95% covered by the Ohio guard scholarship, but I can't afford living expenses as of yet and am trying to stay out of debt. I was surprised to even get accepted, my high school GPA was awful, test scores pretty good, but I'm 23 and haven't had any college. ROTC has a few scholarships that I'm pretty sure can be used to cover all my living expenses, and I'm open to the idea of a commission and going reserves or staying guard, preferably in another field (25B is ok but I wanted to do MI stuff in HUMINT or SIGINT) but aside from a new PL and a cadet in my company telling me I'd be good at it and it's the way to go, I have nobody to go on for experiences etc. I pretty much got no financial aid awards, just the standard federal loan options that aren't enough. It's all pretty dizzying.

Talk to the ROTC recruiter. You sound like somebody they would want, especially if you can pass PT and have guard experience. If they want you, a good roo will find a way with waivers. There should also be ROTC scholarships through the ONG, here they're called minuteman and commission you to the NG. Good friend of mine happens to be the Roo for the ROTC out here so I can pass general questions along. But ymmv in Ohio.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Or you could do the intelligent thing, get out of the army and major in something other than psych :shrug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A psych degree will get you an extra ration working in the salt mines, making America great again

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Or you could do the intelligent thing, get out of the army and major in something other than psych :shrug:

Hahahahaha

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Get that crazy talk out of here.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Burning Beard posted:

Talk to the ROTC recruiter. You sound like somebody they would want, especially if you can pass PT and have guard experience. If they want you, a good roo will find a way with waivers. There should also be ROTC scholarships through the ONG, here they're called minuteman and commission you to the NG. Good friend of mine happens to be the Roo for the ROTC out here so I can pass general questions along. But ymmv in Ohio.

I'm gonna look into it, thanks.

I've got the IT experience and I'm working on certs to actually have a career with, and I've had a few internship offers, one from the research contracting company my brother does network infrastructure management for, and another from general dynamics at an office where one of his old employees now manages because I hang around and help them with stuff sometimes.. I just can't bring myself to even think about working on a 4 year degree with more computer poo poo, I don't want to program or do anything like that and I wouldn't be able to keep interest in it.

The only subject that has ever gotten me excited to study is psych so that's what I'm going with.

I enlisted after reading GIP for like three years so need I say more about dumb decisions???

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

rifles posted:

I've had a few internship offers

I enlisted after reading GIP for like three years so need I say more about dumb decisions???

good on them for being willing to take on special-needs cases like yours :unsmith:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

rifles posted:

I'm gonna look into it, thanks.

I've got the IT experience and I'm working on certs to actually have a career with, and I've had a few internship offers, one from the research contracting company my brother does network infrastructure management for, and another from general dynamics at an office where one of his old employees now manages because I hang around and help them with stuff sometimes.. I just can't bring myself to even think about working on a 4 year degree with more computer poo poo, I don't want to program or do anything like that and I wouldn't be able to keep interest in it.

The only subject that has ever gotten me excited to study is psych so that's what I'm going with.

Well at least you can scout out your future spouses at their place of employment whenever you move.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

rifles posted:

SMP is a pretty decent deal from speaking with the many cadets which cycled through my company over the years. You also hold the pay grade of E-5 for pay purposes and if your unit isn't lovely will basically let you do PL type stuff or shadow the officers in the company. It was kind of nice seeing basically untrained college kids wearing a uniform develop into decent officers.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Two weeks later, my lab partner finally sent me the data for that loving lab... and only after I reminded him again (and twice). Bonus: today he talked with the professor, who then very generously said that she'd take the report late if we could get it to her before she left. Of course, he sent me the data around noon and then waited two hours to tell me that we could still get it in today (when I wasn't even home). Naturally, it's Friday, so you bet your rear end the prof peace'd the gently caress out not long after. gently caress this kid.

Oh, and then he suggested that I make up some dumb poo poo about being sick. loving serious, guy?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This is the first weekend since some time in January where I don't have a pile of homework. I stayed about an hour later every day this week to get ahead on homework.

I have no idea what to do with myself. I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something :ohdear:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

This is the first weekend since some time in January where I don't have a pile of homework. I stayed about an hour later every day this week to get ahead on homework.

I have no idea what to do with myself. I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something :ohdear:

Getting laid?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Getting laid?

Oh, that's what I forgot six years ago. drat, I knew it was something.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I got laid way more when I was still in, so, yeah.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

Well, I got laid way more when I was still in, so, yeah.

This. The dry spells still existed but being in was a definite leg pleaser and me specifically not being a marine has gotten me laid at least once.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

My management capstone class is running Capsim, and - for a change - I'm in a group with the single other really competent student in the entire loving business school. (okay, maybe there's like ten of them overall)

We're running a really sustainable and successful company, while everyone else is running publicly-traded dumpster fires and getting really angry at the system. Because CLEARLY it's just because one team has two smart dudes, therefore no one else can compete. It's not at all that they're all clueless bumblefucks that externalize failure instead of maybe trying to understand how the simulation works.

We've also agreed on a very period-adequate and sustainable labor negotiation position. It's "lol gently caress your wages, work some more, we've overproduced in anticipation of your dumb strike, eat all the dicks". And it's not a problem because the system has a bullshit ethics component.

WHAT A GREAT LESSON TO STUDENTS IN OUR DAY AND AGE :downs:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

SMDFTB is never a bad message.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome but I'm beginning to really enjoy my auditing homework. It's like a puzzle but with money.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE ACCOUNTANT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CHRISTIAN WOLFE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME 50BMG OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TALKING TO WOMEN. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WENT THROUGH 15 GENERAL LEDGERS IN ONE NIGHT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OFFICE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE CPAS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL WHILE RACKING MY BARRETT. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Rat posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE ACCOUNTANT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CHRISTIAN WOLFE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME 50BMG OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TALKING TO WOMEN. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WENT THROUGH 15 GENERAL LEDGERS IN ONE NIGHT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OFFICE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE CPAS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL WHILE RACKING MY BARRETT. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

This but actually

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm digging my comm work so yeah. Except I'm barely passing comm 101 because holy gently caress definitions.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Totally forgot about a comm quiz this morning. Didn't study at all. Teacher says we can work in groups. Awesome!

Cue someone saying the class should just be one group. Everyone agrees. Even with essay questions, we line it out for everyone to use. Everyone gets 100.

The professor said her other class was offereed the same thing and they chose to work individually.

She said she is gonna try to do this for our finals.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
one of my professors gives us a list of questions we had through the year for homework. we pick 10 of them.

half of those become our final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Soulex posted:

Totally forgot about a comm quiz this morning. Didn't study at all. Teacher says we can work in groups. Awesome!

Cue someone saying the class should just be one group. Everyone agrees. Even with essay questions, we line it out for everyone to use. Everyone gets 100.

The professor said her other class was offereed the same thing and they chose to work individually.

She said she is gonna try to do this for our finals.

I occasionally laugh at poo poo I see in college up here, but that's pretty hosed up even by my current standards.

Last semester, we had a similar situation, Professor made everyone take a quiz in groups of four, but with these dumb scratch-cards, where you get full points for the first try, and still get half a point for the second try.

So you already have eight eyeballs over the same multiple choice quiz, you get two tries, and people still managed to score less than 70% on it. One chick skipped class, argued with the Professor to get to do a make-up quiz despite not having an institutional excuse, scored like 69% on it, and then complained that everyone else had an "unfair advantage" because they could take it as a group.

She went to the dean to complain.

Yup.