Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib
You have to wonder why they bothered connecting the ground wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ponderous Saxon posted:

Safety first

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Ponderous Saxon posted:

I feel like if you think it's a good idea to jam exposed wire into a mains outlet you're probably not particularly well versed in which wires do what.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Splode posted:

I feel like if you think it's a good idea to jam exposed wire into a mains outlet you're probably not particularly well versed in which wires do what.

They probably know which wire is hot. :byoscience:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

xergm posted:

They probably know which wire is hot. :byoscience:

No, the polarity is backwards. Double bonus fun if somebody plugs it into the wall!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/g8HXkcL.mp4

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I love the flinch at the end. Turns out your eyelid doesn't protect you from all aspects of ramming something into your eye socket.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I assume it's some nerd that got bored at work.

Crain posted:

Robot that automatically prints and burns Trumps tweets.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The opposite of OSHA:

The regular kind of OSHA:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 29, 2017

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

The opposite of OSHA:

Wanna play that thing like a xylophone.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

The opposite of OSHA:

WTF would this contraption even be feeding, an apartment building or something? I suppose the possibilities are manifold. :rimshot:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NatasDog posted:

WTF would this contraption even be feeding, an apartment building or something? I suppose the possibilities are manifold. :rimshot:

Looks like an instant-on hot water system, where hot water circulates constantly so you don't have to wait for it to warm up. Or perhaps a baseboard hot water heating system. Large lines going out, small return lines.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Then it would be in the crappy construction thread because it's not lagged :colbert:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Re: that escalator video
http://youtubedoubler.com/kHnp

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Here's what seems to be the original post of that plumbing: http://imgur.com/gallery/I83oC

If you zoom in fully you can read the writing on the pipes, it's a really fancy looking manifold feeding cold water to bathrooms in what's presumably a small office building.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Yakety Sax makes everything funny. It's an immutable law of the universe.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Not wearing a flight suit, that's a fine.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Hail Satan OSHA

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I can see the ring finger, but who manages to lose their middle one while keeping the index?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

I can see the ring finger, but who manages to lose their middle one while keeping the index?

Tragic flipping accidents, that's how.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My high school principal was missing his middle, ring and little finger on one hand from an attempt to un-jam a rock from the blades of a running snowblower.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I had a maths teacher in high school that was missing just his ring finger on his right hand, all they way to the base.

Turns out "getting a finger cut off by an African warlord" is an occupational hazard when you're a foreigner teaching in Zaire in the 80s.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I had a shop teacher that was missing half of two fingers on his left hand. He apparently had poor aim and liked to chop wood. He was also reported to be missing a couple toes on his left foot. Again, legend went that his axe skills were to blame.

When my older brother got to high school and started shop class with stubby, he excelled quickly, as our father was a carpenter (and we were the free labour). My father, also being a idiot cowboy, never had guards on his saws. As my brother tells it (so probably bs) it was the guard on the table saw that threw him off when he jabbed his hand into the blade and split the webbing between two fingers. The handful of stitches were, apparently, nothing compared to the ribbing he got from dad for hurting himself on a tool he'd used dozens of times at home.

Kids these days.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Memento posted:

Turns out "getting a finger cut off by an African warlord" is an occupational hazard when you're a foreigner teaching in Zaire in the 80s.
That's a legit cool injury tho.

"No you can't have these children, they're learning trig RN"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's an occupational hazzard playing hockey with canadians, too.

Kinda NMS because you see a chunk of finger hanging off. didn't bother the guy who's finger it was much. also technically OSHA because it's the guys' job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHSiVYCagH0

The attacker was punished by being made the subject of jokes relating to the incident.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Sagebrush posted:

My high school principal was missing his middle, ring and little finger on one hand from an attempt to un-jam a rock from the blades of a running snowblower.

That rock was part of the lock out tag out procedures.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/sta...%3D3397%23pti10

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

A true hero - he deserves a bonus from the president of the trucking company.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JoelJoel posted:

I met a guy on our board this week who had two functional fingers to his name. He was born with his left arm ending in a stub with a bent thumb on it and nothing else, but a normal right hand. You'd think he would be extra careful to keep his good hand intact, but he did something dumb and got everything but his thumb severed by something. He now has a thumb, a pinky, and two (not three) half-length stubs in between.

Apparently when he was in the ambulance, he asked for a drink of water. The paramedics told him that all they had was the ice his fingers were being kept in. He refused, not because his severed fingers were in there but because he knew where they had been.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

How does this happen? Truckers are required to stop and rest every 'x' amount of hours. How did he not get caught at a weigh station or something?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Truck drivers are encouraged to falsify their log books to drive longer than legally allowed, and make more money if they have as little downtime as possible.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zipperelli. posted:

How does this happen? Truckers are required to stop and rest every 'x' amount of hours. How did he not get caught at a weigh station or something?

Out of all the weigh stations you've passed on the highway, how many have actually been open and operating?

I've driven across the entire country half a dozen times. I've seen, maybe, half a dozen operating weight stations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

If they're paper logs, they're easily to falsify. If they're computer logs, they're also easy to falsify, you just need to call someone with admin privileges who's willing to "fix" them, or login with someone else's ID #.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Pharmaskittle posted:

Truck drivers are encouraged to falsify their log books to drive longer than legally allowed, and make more money if they have as little downtime as possible.

This. In the days of paper logs, it was more common than not. At my former company, I was asked by the safety department to implement an Elog system. After that, every one of those loving drivers hated my guts because computers don't lie. With the exception of a handful, they really weren't very smart.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Is this a problem? Can't be any worse then people texting and driving around.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

This. In the days of paper logs, it was more common than not. At my former company, I was asked by the safety department to implement an Elog system. After that, every one of those loving drivers hated my guts because computers don't lie. With the exception of a handful, they really weren't very smart.

Yeah, I worked kind of adjacent to truck drivers in an old job when electronic logging was becoming the norm and they never had a legitimate reason to not want it aside from "I know how to do my job!!" The only driver I'm actually friends with quit the day they put one in his truck and was at least honest enough to be like, "Yeah I can't make enough money at this lovely job if I can't break the rules, later."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

neonbregna posted:

I'd imagine a guy isn't going to make the best judgement driving while on LSD.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Phanatic posted:

Out of all the weigh stations you've passed on the highway, how many have actually been open and operating?

I've driven across the entire country half a dozen times. I've seen, maybe, half a dozen operating weight stations.

Pro tip: just drive right past the weigh station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

neonbregna posted:

Well, it's the order of magnitude that's the issue.