Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Sega one looks like it belongs on a navy carrier, ready to fire carts at hostile aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I won't believe those exist until I see them in non-advertisements.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

al-azad posted:

Did this ever come out and if it did why don't I own it???

These, especially the Genesis one, are the raddest things I have seen in a while. I bet if someone made new versions of these they would sell.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

those are sexy and if I had a SNES one I could keep my flash cart + the 5 or 6 good games it doesnt support in at all times :twisted:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Holy poo poo I knew those switchers existed for the Atari 2600 but it never occurred to me someone might make ones for other consoles. The real mystery though is why the North American versions of those consoles are being shown in what is presumably a Japanese ad/magazine or some such.

From what I can tell it's not an ad but a Famitsu article reporting on it.

I guess it's just vaporware and that makes me sad because they look rad as hell. To think, another device I could stack Sonic & Knuckles into.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 30, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know about the NES version but it seems like the MD version wasn't released: https://segaretro.org/Mega_Play_1010

EDIT: this sure is a blurb from a UK gaming mag

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 30, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean, if you want that functionality there's definitely NES display units set up like that, and probably Genesis ones as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

I mean, if you want that functionality there's definitely NES display units set up like that, and probably Genesis ones as well.

Nah, there's no need for something physical like that when flashcarts exist. It's just

Martytoof posted:

The Sega one looks like it belongs on a navy carrier, ready to fire carts at hostile aircraft.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Those are interesting, but as just a mechanical switch and cartridge slots they wouldn't be difficult to replicate.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm suspecting the NES version probably didn't even hit a prototype stage since, after all, how would the game cartridge data be routed into the system? I suspect whoever was behind it just did the plastic mock-up first and left the actual hardware implementation to-be-determined later. Basically a big napkin drawing in the flesh.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'm suspecting the NES version probably didn't even hit a prototype stage since, after all, how would the game cartridge data be routed into the system? I suspect whoever was behind it just did the plastic mock-up first and left the actual hardware implementation to-be-determined later. Basically a big napkin drawing in the flesh.

making one would be ridiculously easy as long as it had a physical switch.

EDIT - I see what you are saying. Yes, A nintendo one would require the door to be open and somethi9ng inserted.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 30, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I'm suspecting the NES version probably didn't even hit a prototype stage since, after all, how would the game cartridge data be routed into the system?

Uh, cut a hole in the lid, replace the 72 pin adapter that points the cartridges to the front by 90 degrees with a straight up and down thing?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The NES one could've extended the life of many machines as you never have to worry about bending your console's pins. 80s Nintendo would understandably be very upset but they could even advertise it as "start your games the first time, every time Mega Play 1010."

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

cosmicjim posted:

making one would be ridiculously easy as long as it had a physical switch.

EDIT - I see what you are saying. Yes, A nintendo one would require the door to be open and somethi9ng inserted.

Yeah, the design seems to be solely about visual appeal with zero thought given to how it would actually work (and thus actually look) in practice. Which would be pretty ungainly and unattractive, in my mind, unless...

fishmech posted:

Uh, cut a hole in the lid, replace the 72 pin adapter that points the cartridges to the front by 90 degrees with a straight up and down thing?

*Al Bundy voice*

Uhh, no, fishmech.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yeah, the design seems to be solely about visual appeal with zero thought given to how it would actually work (and thus actually look) in practice. Which would be pretty ungainly and unattractive, in my mind, unless...

If I was doing one (and I'm not because I'm not a lunatic), I'd just have it slide in and act as an alternate front panel for the NES. Controller port pass throughs, some kind of simple mechanical set up for the buttons. It wouldn't be a great design, but then these aren't the most practical of designs anyway.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
A dummy cartridge with a ribbon cable that got inserted and have a flap cover the door to protect the ribbon cable from getting snagged or friction.

I think I am going to try my hand at making some GBA Macros from DS Lites with broken top screens. May try my hand at removing the hinges and molding in some plastic to fill in the holes and paint them to give them a nice look. Relocating the speakers as well. We'll see, have a couple DS Lites in the mail now and will make it my spring/summer project.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 30, 2017

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, those ideas could work hypothetically. They're just not svelte, simple and compact looking, which I suspect was the main design idea behind the NES version.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean the thing as depicted triples the space the NES takes up, with the 10 cartridges in it. Space-saving just isn't a priority anymore there.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
You guys forget there's a port on the bottom of the NES that would work.

I do remember playing Genesis demo stations with 5 or 10 min timers that switched between different carts at Software Etc. You could also press a button to instantly switch, too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm pretty sure the megaplay thing is mocked up by that UK magazine, they list no manufacturer or other info. UK game mags were basically tabloids and are full of weird poo poo like that

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

d0s posted:

UK mags are basically tabloids.

Seriously. What the Christ, UK?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I bought a new house, and last weekend I disassembled all my retro consoles and took the entertainment center apart. I am not looking forward to hooking all of that back up. :smithicide:

Having said that, being in this new house is actually going to free up my finances pretty dramatically, so I'm looking forward to having the disposable income to pick up a few "wish list items" (an RGB-modded NES, an Atari Jaguar, a Toro box for my Dreamcast) while still being able to set aside a lot of money each month as emergency savings like some kind of responsible adult or some poo poo.

In packing up all my poo poo, I confirmed that my copies of Alien Trilogy and Alien Resurrection for PS1 have vanished into the aether - I replaced Alien Trilogy by picking up a copy at a local secondhand store, I just won't be able to play it until I'm moved into the new house at the end of April.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
UK RESISTANCE is still the best UK games thing.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was shopping for arcade boards on the internet and saw this weird shmup that is all ripped Starcraft sprites for sale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipdu7fofmk

I was about to bid on it, and realized it's a vertical game, so it wouldn't work in my cabinet. It's amazing that it exists, and I hadn't heard of it until now.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

I'm pretty sure the megaplay thing is mocked up by that UK magazine, they list no manufacturer or other info. UK game mags were basically tabloids and are full of weird poo poo like that

Traditionally UK game mags would publish fake stories in the April issue. Tomb Raider nude codes were a solid standard of the late 90s. The May/June issues would print letters of kids freaking out about them.

Didn't at least one big magazine do the same in the US? EGM?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

the wizards beard posted:

GamePro would include a mini-section called LamePro which was supposed to function as a minimagazine. Their "cover story" one year was President Evil, where they put a Lincoln Hat on the first zombie you find in RE (the one you walk up on eating the corpse).

EGM just had cruel as gently caress Tips n Tricks or Quarterman sidebars, like how to fight Shen Long in SF2 Turbo, or how to unlock ERMAC in MK2.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I think like a year ago I posted a picture of a Genesis multicart adapter mentioned in a magazine that added a 3x2 rectangle of cart slots under the system to boot from that I asked about and also doesn't exist.

I love that one that goes in the top slot and want it to be real so somebody can stack many more Sonic & Knuckles carts in it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

UK RESISTANCE is still the best UK games thing.
:rip:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

FilthyImp posted:

or how to unlock ERMAC in MK2.

I know about the whole Ermac/error macro thing , but it just now occurred to me that the eventual character's weird fighting style (gravity manipulation, uppercutting multiple heads off his opponent) was probably inspired by glitches.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

Traditionally UK game mags would publish fake stories in the April issue. Tomb Raider nude codes were a solid standard of the late 90s. The May/June issues would print letters of kids freaking out about them.

Yeah april fools were a thing in a lot of magazines, but the UK games press of the late 80's-90s was kinda known for being really tabloidy and printing all kinds of crazy poo poo in general, because it wasn't taken seriously by either the people making the magazines or the readers. British print news is weird all across the board really, apart from a few things it's all really seen as "infotainment" from what I understand and there's this whole pro wrestling kayfabe style thing going on

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I remember there was still a little bit of that in N64 Magazine before it became NGC/Ngamer/whatever it is now. Every issue included a fake cheat code/unlockable that they specifically said was bogus – even going to the trouble of mocking up a convincing-looking fake screenshot of a VW beetle in F-Zero X or whatever each month – and they had a few surreal comics and letters features in there too. Like, the guy who answered reader mail would just call you a dumb twit for writing in, stuff like that. Also one time they gave some shovelware game a 1/10 and the whole review was just the word "dump" :allears:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

HAT FETISH posted:

I remember there was still a little bit of that in N64 Magazine before it became NGC/Ngamer/whatever it is now. Every issue included a fake cheat code/unlockable that they specifically said was bogus – even going to the trouble of mocking up a convincing-looking fake screenshot of a VW beetle in F-Zero X or whatever each month – and they had a few surreal comics and letters features in there too. Like, the guy who answered reader mail would just call you a dumb twit for writing in, stuff like that. Also one time they gave some shovelware game a 1/10 and the whole review was just the word "dump" :allears:

Ok, that is hilarious. I wouldn't want the whole magazine that if I am buying it for gaming news and rumors. Maybe a 2 page spread that is dedicated to that each issue and you knew what was up.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

fishmech posted:

Yeah I remember my local Kmart in the late 80s had a NES kiosk where you could switch freely between 10 first-party games. There was a SNES one later, but that had a time limit (it would hard-reset after 10 minutes or something). Never saw a Genesis setup like that.

Chainclaw posted:

I was shopping for arcade boards on the internet and saw this weird shmup that is all ripped Starcraft sprites for sale:

I was about to bid on it, and realized it's a vertical game, so it wouldn't work in my cabinet. It's amazing that it exists, and I hadn't heard of it until now.

Well you dodged a bullet (!), Korean shmups (KR arcade games in general, really) are lovely. Looks like the gameplay and UI are ripped from Psikyo games.

You should have a vert cabinet anyway. Buy another one :retrogames:

e: Speaking of verts, Mikado featured my favorite Toaplan game the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vn17T6vChM

Holy poo poo that 2nd loop. They give up on 2-6

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 30, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

uhh yeah don't buy that or anything like it; if you want a cheap shooter that's decent the first aerofighters is always like $50

also your cab probably can play vertical games, you just need to rotate the monitor. if you post a pic of your cab or the model I can tell you for sure but its usually easy

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pondering on getting a NTSC SNES Mini and I was thinking on what kind of euro PSU I need for it. I hear the PSU plug size is somewhat odd on the mini, what are the measurements exactly? Is it the same as on Super Famicom JR?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

speaking of snes minis, i have 2 of them that don't work with any power supplies i've tried, 1st party, pelican, whatever. just no red light. is there a typical fix or are they probably just gone?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zas posted:

speaking of snes minis, i have 2 of them that don't work with any power supplies i've tried, 1st party, pelican, whatever. just no red light. is there a typical fix or are they probably just gone?

The SNES mini has no power LED.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
made some foolish purchases to add to my rpg backlog

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Zas posted:

If you have the security bit and a multimeter go inside and check if there's any continuity along the fuse. If that's fine, check the voltage regulator. Those two are typically the issues if the SNES won't turn on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sorry about Unlimited Saga, but at least Saga Frontier more then makes up for it. One of my favorite games of all time.

• Locked thread