Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can cook the curling bombs to have a shorter timer by holding them a bit before firing, but yeah, contact alone doesn't set them off IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deltron 3030 posted:

Hmm the Curling Bombs don't blow up on contact with an enemy? I knew there was a timer element but kinda figured it was contact and timer, whichever comes first.

I'm pretty sure I had a few "oh Jesus" moments where one bumped into me and I tried to get away after

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Curling bombs seemed to hit players and do a small amount of damage, so could kill you if you were close to being splatted already.

Will have to test this in the firing range once it's available.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
The Testfire got me jonesing for more inktion so I just played an hour of Rainmaker for the first time in a while.

I reallllly hope they keep Rainmaker in Splatoon 2 -- nothing beats the thrill of a long run into enemy territory while under fire. Booyah!

Deltron 3030 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 28, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Deltron 3030 posted:

The Testfire got me jonesing for more inktion

Same. Though, I wonder if I am doing myself a disservice by reinforcing all that muscle memory. How long to I want to be opening a map when I try to jump after Splatoon 2 launches?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really like how the supers we've seen so far are much more telegraphed then the first game it gives you a chance to react better

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Digital Foundry did their framerate analyzes during the Testfire, and... it's running 60 fps all the time. However, the screen resolution is capped to 720p, but eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pupujCQykg

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kinda lame but I'd rather have that than slight stutters like Zelda gets in 900p.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The tick rate of the Splatoon Global Testfires were 12.5 Hz, half that of Splatoon 1.

https://twitter.com/octobyte_/status/845707555020124160

If you had lag problems before in Splatoon 1, they're gonna get worse when the game comes out.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The tick rate of the Splatoon Global Testfires were 12.5 Hz, half that of Splatoon 1.

If you had lag problems before in Splatoon 1, they're gonna get worse when the game comes out.

After playing for awhile I did notice some screwiness, but this is REALLY bad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dr. Fetus posted:

The switch was a mistake.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't really know what this means but hopefully it's changed in the full game.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 29, 2017

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The testfire got me back in the mood to play the original, so I put a few hours in over the past few days. Playing with the Splattershot got me trying some different weapons, and I'm a big fan of the Dual Squelcher now.

So, is the population like 95% Japanese players these days? It hasn't been that bad though besides a few instances of splatting a dude, dying two or three seconds later, then finding out it was the dead guy that splatted me.

I didn't really have any issues like that during the testfire though, so I'm not too concerned about those tickrates right now. Sure, there were a number of "Rocky moments" where you and the enemy both get splatted at the same time, but it's always been like that, probably somewhat due to the slower projectile speeds in the game.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

x posting my comment

The test fire was so much better about not trading splats, moving me into fire via bad prediction, or (de)accelerated hits from/on me in 3 hours than 300+ hours of the original I can't say I find this news really something to worry about. I've gotten so used to having to play extra hard against japanese players the difference in this version is staggering.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Everyone seems to forget that this game has multiple months in the oven still, this testfire wasn't the month before, like the first game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The test fire played better lagwise than the first game, but maybe it's since I wasn't against Japanese experts or something.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had a silly thought.

That new random cat is always on "The Bad Guys" side of things. What if the octolings are taking part in turf wars now wherever they are and he's the judge of them normally?

It also made me think of the final boss of story mode being a turf war between the Player, Callie, Marie and Cuttlefish vs whatever they have cooked up for the Octoling side of things.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I want more Splatoon lore.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FAT BATMAN posted:

I want more Splatoon lore.

I do too. Those logs in the first game were actually pretty interesting. I'll be surprised if octolings aren't playable in some way.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I'd be surprised if octolings were playable at all. Outside of the single player campaign.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I've been playing Zelda in docked mode and my Switch is running uncomfortably warm

There's been no problem with the Switch over-heating, right?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

chaleski posted:

I've been playing Zelda in docked mode and my Switch is running uncomfortably warm

There's been no problem with the Switch over-heating, right?

Nothing I've seen. The common refrain about the heat of the Switch seems to be "it gets warm in handheld mode".

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The touchscreen gets very very warm, but it hasn't been a major issue so far because so little on the system is touch-centric (or even touch-supporting at all) except for that one eShop rhythm game.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Rexroom posted:

I'd be surprised if octolings were playable at all. Outside of the single player campaign.
Maybe with the hairstyles they'll just make octoling hair an unlockable option.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tengames posted:

Maybe with the hairstyles they'll just make octoling hair an unlockable option.

Seems like the perfect sort of thing to link to an octoling amiibo which admittedly I would probably buy even if it did nothing at all.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

The touchscreen gets very very warm, but it hasn't been a major issue so far because so little on the system is touch-centric (or even touch-supporting at all) except for that one eShop rhythm game.

I've played voez for a solid straight 2 hours while resting it on a blanket on my lap and it never heated up, so it doesn't matter for that either.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Bloop posted:

Seems like the perfect sort of thing to link to an octoling amiibo which admittedly I would probably buy even if it did nothing at all.

I own a lot of Splatoon stuff that sits on a shelf and stares at me and reminds me that I've spent a lot of money on Splatoon stuff, so I'm feeling this post.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

The new cat doesn't have a revealed name yet, right?

Nintendo screwed up if the two cats aren't Judd and Jerry.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Switch pulls a pretty small amount of power so you shouldn't worry about it baking itself.

VV tada.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 30, 2017

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LethalGeek posted:

The Switch doesn't pull enough power that you shouldn't worry about it baking itself.

Should or shouldn't worry? Double neg is throwing me.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Takoluka posted:

I own a lot of Splatoon stuff that sits on a shelf and stares at me and reminds me that I've spent a lot of money on Splatoon stuff, so I'm feeling this post.

Turn it into cooking ingredients in Zelda every day

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

need amiibo of the new squid kids especially the one with the short hair, id always own when i get her in the test fire

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smiles posted:

need amiibo of the new squid kids especially the one with the short hair, id always own when i get her in the test fire

:yeah::same:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/847740786368159744

Spike's gear slot machine makes a return, with some improvements to the user experience.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Some additional info: Apparently you don't need to waste your shells/money on the slot machine anymore. Alternatively, you can just put a certain ability to a gear straight away. However, to do that, you need fragments of said gear ability. And to get fragments, you have to reset your gear to their initial state so it'll produce fragments. No idea yet what is the needed amount of fragments to put abilities straight in, but it'll probably cost a lot of your time and money. But hey, no more save scumming for rerolls. :v:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I hope save scumming is straight disabled by making all of that stuff server-side.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
They posted the US version of the new gear stuff.

https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/159041611894/weve-managed-to-learn-the-name-of-the-young-boy

quote:

We’ve managed to learn the name of the young boy with the sea-urchin like head. Everyone, meet “Murch”. Apparently, he looks up to Spyke as a role model, and works in the same industry (if not the same organization) as Spyke.

Murch is good with his hands, and he uses those nimble digits to perform a special service he calls “gear scrubbing”. This will reset the additional abilities on a piece of gear, returning it to its original state. From what we can tell, gear abilities you’ve removed from gear will be returned to you as “ability chunks”.

Once you collect enough ability chunks you’ll be able to use them to fill an empty gear slot with a new ability. Theoretically, this means that repeating Murch’s gear scrubbing many times would allow you to mix and match additional gear abilities as you see fit! That would be incredible! It could be that this young man is even more talented than Spyke himself!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Sounds awesome for those gears I want to force a sub set on but the high % for that brand wasn't it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It means there's no excuse for wearing a motocross helmet or a jungle hat unless you're just that unfresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Those might have crappy mains

• Locked thread