Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Eiba posted:

Well. So much for my "Basic isn't that bad" theory. Turns out Earth is explicitly a dystopian hellhole.

Yeah, that's a huge departure from the books, where Basic definitely includes housing, food, clothing, healthcare, network access, etc. None of it's the greatest, but it's readily available. People on Basic can literally get new clothes from free vending machines on the street, for instance. I initially thought Bobbie had stumbled into fallen-through-the-cracks territory along the lines of what Amos was describing, but nope, they're in the system.

I don't know, I feel like slum-Earth is less interesting. Dystopias are a dime a dozen. Just within The Expanse there are some good examples, at least on a smaller scale. On the other hand, I haven't seen too many settings where we've gotten our poo poo together just enough to more or less take care of everyone, but not in a post-scarcity way, and people aren't magically content with having no prospects and no purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Even in the books' take on Basic is pretty bad, dude. It's basically described as enough to survive on but not to live on. I've said before that the network access is basically a severely cut-down version of the normal Internet or whatever.

It's not the 'greatest', at all. It's subsistence only. It's really not a huge departure.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

AMOS: How many times do I have to telegraph my horrible past to the audience/!?!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milky Moor posted:

It's basically described as enough to survive on but not to live on.

I'm not sure what distinction you're making here. It doesn't provide an especially rewarding life, but book-Basic definitely does not resemble a hobo camp. In terms of meeting physical needs, the biggest deficiency I can recall is waitlists for medical care. It might take months to see a doctor, but you'll be waiting in your (small) apartment, at least, not under a bridge.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The depiction of basic was way too depressing, for a system to work like that without dealing with constant civil unrest and domestic terrorism I'd expect some pretty orwellian systems of population control have to be put in place.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The depiction of basic was way too depressing, for a system to work like that without dealing with constant civil unrest and domestic terrorism I'd expect some pretty orwellian systems of population control have to be put in place.

Not necessarily civil unrest, and a book thing (though not a spoiler for anything), but there does exist unrest on Earth. It's not all happily and peacefully controlled by the UN iirc.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's just that providing housing for everyone should be pretty trivial for the sort of organization that is capable of hollowing out asteroids and putting them under spin gravity, you could easily feed and house everyone on earth with the kind of engineering feats that were seen in both show and books, if Ganymede can produce enough food to feed its own population and tens of millions more in the belt you'd expect that on earth with the far more ideal conditions the government could easily produce enough food to feed everyone on earth and luna comfortably.

I guess that sequence just offended my nerd sensibilities, what can I say.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Since you guys seem nerdy enough for a quick question (or two). I just sort of caught up with the show, but one thing sort of puzzled me in an early episode. When they are fighting the stealth ships aboard the martian capital ship, they say CQB now we use the rail guns or something to that effect. One, why would anyone want to fight in close range and two why aren't railguns good at distance? There is no gravity and a railgun round theoretically should be traveling hideously fast without gravity to drag it back down. I am assuming with futuristic targeting computers they could make best guesses for long range.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's just that providing housing for everyone should be pretty trivial for the sort of organization that is capable of hollowing out asteroids and putting them under spin gravity, you could easily feed and house everyone on earth with the kind of engineering feats that were seen in both show and books, if Ganymede can produce enough food to feed its own population and tens of millions more in the belt you'd expect that on earth with the far more ideal conditions the government could easily produce enough food to feed everyone on earth and luna comfortably.

I guess that sequence just offended my nerd sensibilities, what can I say.

It's easy enough for us to do right now. It's pretty realistic in that regard.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Since you guys seem nerdy enough for a quick question (or two). I just sort of caught up with the show, but one thing sort of puzzled me in an early episode. When they are fighting the stealth ships aboard the martian capital ship, they say CQB now we use the rail guns or something to that effect. One, why would anyone want to fight in close range and two why aren't railguns good at distance? There is no gravity and a railgun round theoretically should be traveling hideously fast without gravity to drag it back down. I am assuming with futuristic targeting computers they could make best guesses for long range.

They got close because they were trying to board the ship. At long range you can dodge railgun rounds? I guess it depends on how they're defining "close" in space terms.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Yeah, railgun rounds at "long" range (in space) would either miss by the time they got there due to the enemy ship's combat maneuvers, or be purposefully dodged. The closer you get, the more accurately you can hit with them. Conversely torpedoes can be trained on a moving target but are probably much less safe to use when the enemy are doing loops around your own ship.

The stealth ships knew exactly what they were doing when they got into CQB, because they couldn't take on the Donnager's torpedoes or something.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Longbaugh01 posted:

I always thought the Caliban in Caliban's War was a reference to Shakespeare's The Tempest (I think it's The Tempest).

Every single book title starts with a literary, biblical, classical, or historical reference like that.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Eiba posted:

Well. So much for my "Basic isn't that bad" theory. Turns out Earth is explicitly a dystopian hellhole. Honestly, it seems like Ceres (at least Miller's neighborhood) and Tycho actually have things better.

Prax and Amos are a really interesting pair to watch. I loved their conversation through the bushes in the wall- both how it was framed, and the interesting and terrifying things Prax was saying. Ecosystems separate from Earth's are fragile.

Actually, pretty much every scene in this episode was interesting and fun to watch. Erinwright, Avasarala, Bobbie, Prax, Amos, and even Alex all had great moments.

The tablet Avasarala gave Bobbie said "Caliban Project" at the top. (Very minor book information) Book 2 is called Caliban's War, but I don't think the word "Caliban" actually shows up in the book anywhere, which has confused a few people in the past. It's interesting that it's more explicit here in the show.

Yeah- a really rewarding episode IMO. I think the decision to show blood-and-guts Bobbie early in the season paid off a lot here, and also the Holden/Naomi stuff was pretty good because you're seeing a more self-righteous side of Holden come out, and the show isn't rewarding him for it at all.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well, everyone gets chemically sterilized at birth and needs to prove economic stability to get it reversed, IIRC.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Quorum posted:

Well, everyone gets chemically sterilized at birth and needs to prove economic stability to get it reversed, IIRC.

There exists a sizeable underground population though.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Are we sure that the people we saw on Earth were on basic, rather than some hobos living under a bridge that Bobby found by going to the wrong neighbourhood?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
You'd think they'd want to give people on basic a bit more money so that they actually contributed to consumption. There's no real point to basic if you lose all of it to the grey and black markets. You'd think corporations would be lobbying the poo poo out of the un to increase it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

I always think the expanse got the geography and politics entirely wrong, but it makes for a decent fictional setting.

99% of the population should be living within the earth-moon sphere, mostly at lagrange points.

We know you have an unrelenting boner for O'Neill cylinders but that's not the only way to view space man. There's a whole genre of work, fictional and non, on how hard is it to keep small, artificial ecosystems going.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Grand Fromage posted:

We know you have an unrelenting boner for O'Neill cylinders but that's not the only way to view space man. There's a whole genre of work, fictional and non, on how hard is it to keep small, artificial ecosystems going.

Yeah, look at what's happening on Ganymede in the show. And that's on a moon.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I think any depiction of any fictional government (no matter how rock hard the science) is going to run into a wall of people with protractors and slide-rules who are ready to prove that Smurf society isn't viable and can't sustain itself beyond a few generations of drone Smurfs.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

vermin posted:

I think any depiction of any fictional government (no matter how rock hard the science) is going to run into a wall of people with protractors and slide-rules who are ready to prove that Smurf society isn't viable and can't sustain itself beyond a few generations of drone Smurfs.

This sort of talk now runs into the Donald Trump problem.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's more that other people said Basic in the books is presented as being a lot better. Which would make more sense and allow Basic to actually work.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You'd think they'd want to give people on basic a bit more money so that they actually contributed to consumption. There's no real point to basic if you lose all of it to the grey and black markets. You'd think corporations would be lobbying the poo poo out of the un to increase it.

At least in the books, Basic is explicitly not a universal basic income, just provision of necessities. Without a job (legal or illegal), people on Basic literally do not have money. I don't think it's completely spelled out how that works, but it seems like what you get through Basic is either rationed somehow (housing, healthcare), or is common and inferior enough to make hoarding or resale pointless (cheap food and clothing).

In the show, the Basic-hobos were asking for scrip, so maybe there's a separate sort of currency for Basic.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
With 30,000,000,000 residents, I can see resource limitations being a real problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Basic in the books just seemed... well, basic. You had a tiny apartment, rationed access to necessities, enough food/simple clothing/etc to survive on. If you had any ambition for anything better you had to fight tooth and nail to get a job or some sort of training. If you were satisfied with just vegging out in your shoebox on the space internet forever then you were taken care of.

Then there's an underclass that fell through the cracks in a variety of ways that isn't on Basic, which is what Amos talks about and what I assumed we were seeing this episode.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Accretionist posted:

With 30,000,000,000 residents, I can see resource limitations being a real problem.

EVERYTHING goes in the recycler. OVER AND OVER.

Sob.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's more that other people said Basic in the books is presented as being a lot better. Which would make more sense and allow Basic to actually work.

It works until you have to live within it and subject to the system. I know a lot of wonks here are fascinated with the mechanics of how the Basic system works in The Expanse, but I believe its more of a cautionary narrative, like a lot of tropes in Sci-Fi that depict the impact of technology that advance without constraint. It's literally the conclusion of the progressive agenda, and contrasts sharply with the optimism of the Star Trek depiction because it factors human nature into the quotient. The result and impact on the population is not supposed to be a good thing.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Errinwright's confession was an interesting twist. I wonder to what extent he and Avasarala will work together from here, or if Mao's going to screw him over for snitching.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

R-Type posted:

It works until you have to live within it and subject to the system. I know a lot of wonks here are fascinated with the mechanics of how the Basic system works in The Expanse, but I believe its more of a cautionary narrative, like a lot of tropes in Sci-Fi that depict the impact of technology that advance without constraint. It's literally the conclusion of the progressive agenda, and contrasts sharply with the optimism of the Star Trek depiction because it factors human nature into the quotient. The result and impact on the population is not supposed to be a good thing.

What's the progressive agenda and how are billions of people unemployed due to automation and climate disaster linked to that? Or is the progressive agenda not having soylent trucks scooping up the lazy poor?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kassad posted:

That's still not even remotely enough to reach 30 billion. Africa is growing this fast because it's the last continent going through a demographic transition towards low birth and death rates (they'll get there by 2100). World population is most likely going to plateau at around 10 or 11 billion. Unless Hans Rosling is wrong.

Now, seriously? That's just racist bullshit.

Edit: Here's a book with a plot like what you describe.

gently caress that noise.

FTFY

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Basic in the books just seemed... well, basic. You had a tiny apartment, rationed access to necessities, enough food/simple clothing/etc to survive on. If you had any ambition for anything better you had to fight tooth and nail to get a job or some sort of training. If you were satisfied with just vegging out in your shoebox on the space internet forever then you were taken care of.

Then there's an underclass that fell through the cracks in a variety of ways that isn't on Basic, which is what Amos talks about and what I assumed we were seeing this episode.

The guy said he'd been on the vocational list since he was 17. He's got basic.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Demiurge4 posted:

Again, just because they might have Basic doesn't mean they wouldn't be out on the streets trying to make money (scrip), acquire other things, or participating in other things. Again, Basic doesn't equal money/scrip.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bobbie seeing the sea was cool, but the fact that there was a beach at all was a little offputting. Shouldn't the sea be up against the flood wall? They way they portrayed it implies the big walls are just in case of a huge storm surge or something. Just happened to be low tide?

This is influenced by me just having read Aurora which has a whole section pointing out that we'll have 0 beaches soon due to sea rise. It takes a long time for sand to happen.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 30, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

NmareBfly posted:

Bobbie seeing the sea was cool, but the fact that there was a beach at all was a little offputting. Shouldn't the sea be up against the flood wall? They way they portrayed it implies the big walls are just in case of a huge storm surge or something. Just happened to be low tide?

This is influenced by me just having read Aurora which has a whole section pointing out that we'll have 0 beaches soon due to sea rise. It takes a long time for sand to happen.

Um the beach was quite small with not much room between the wall and the water. Plus it could've been low tide, who knows.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Maybe no natural beaches. Artificial ones already exist and don't look that different.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, that's a huge departure from the books, where Basic definitely includes housing, food, clothing, healthcare, network access, etc. None of it's the greatest, but it's readily available. People on Basic can literally get new clothes from free vending machines on the street, for instance. I initially thought Bobbie had stumbled into fallen-through-the-cracks territory along the lines of what Amos was describing, but nope, they're in the system.

I don't know, I feel like slum-Earth is less interesting. Dystopias are a dime a dozen. Just within The Expanse there are some good examples, at least on a smaller scale. On the other hand, I haven't seen too many settings where we've gotten our poo poo together just enough to more or less take care of everyone, but not in a post-scarcity way, and people aren't magically content with having no prospects and no purpose.

Free clothes that are basically on par with the lovely paper gowns you get from the hospital. The food is also horrendous, being on basic was always a terrible thing. Hell in The Churn the escape plan Amos had was a big goddamn deal that cost a shitload of money and it was literally "You can go to vocational school". Because the alternative is slowly rotting away in some poo poo hole of an apartment that's overcrowded to poo poo, which the government can relocate you on a whim with practically no chance for appeal, while eating heavily processed food that might as well be cardboard and wearing clothes that would be thrown out at a Goodwill. Oh yeah and the internet is throttled to poo poo as well. The medical care is pretty nice until the government decides that you're not worth taking care of and restricts it to disease and pain management only, effectively killing you slowly.

Being able to exist a whole different beast than being able to live

Demiurge4 posted:

University students who are on basic still have to pay for some things, in the books a lot of them work their rear end off for a year or two before heading off to college to just barely make it by. If they don't find employment a couple years out of college they also get thrown back on basic and all that work was for effectively gently caress all

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Again, just because they might have Basic doesn't mean they wouldn't be out on the streets trying to make money (scrip), acquire other things, or participating in other things. Again, Basic doesn't equal money/scrip.

Bolow posted:

University students who are on basic still have to pay for some things, in the books a lot of them work their rear end off for a year or two before heading off to college to just barely make it by. If they don't find employment a couple years out of college they also get thrown back on basic and all that work was for effectively gently caress all

Yeah but that wasn't what I was addressing. Grand Fromage was saying that the people we saw were probably the underclass that exists below basic, but they aren't, basic is just that lovely.

It's kind of strange though. Because my impression of basic was that it was just above squalor because it's a measure to ensure social stability. But if your underclass lives that like it's gonna be anything but stable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My city has a huge "street people problem" and my friend actualy works in the welfare office. Most of the people you see sleeping on the street or gathered in hobo camps or what ever are actually receiving "basic" from the government. It's supposed to be enough for housing and food but it doesn't always work out. Sometimes you just can't find any cheap enough housing, but more often you're mentally ill and or addicted to drugs so everything goes to that. They can get really creative with it too. Sometimes they have to prove they are indeed staying at a shelter and not living on the street and blowing everything on drugs, so a group of addicts will sort of bed-sit in a shelter apartment covering for each other and splitting the rent just so they have an address. Sometimes none of them will stay in the actual shelter space, preferring the street, and to make more money they'll sub-let their shelter apartment out to someone else on the waiting list. A bunch of them don't really want their "basic" and rather just have more spending money in their pocket and are used to the street living lifestyle and find ways to convert what ever they get into cash. They sell their transit passes on the street, they sub-let their shelter space, they use their free medical care to get as many prescriptions as possible to then sell. The hustle becomes a full time job, but due to their addictions or mental illnesses it's the only job they can hold down.

I imagine in the expanse there's plenty of people who are willing to trade their basic on the black market to convert into actual currency which they can spend how they like, even if it means sleeping under a highway. I also imagine living on earth creates all sort of psychological problems and can lead to serious mental illness.

I'd just love to know how long this has been going on. With the draconian "sterilize everyone" population control they apparently have and the apparently lovely food and medical care there's no way the population problems on earth couldn't be solved within 50-80 years.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 30, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My understanding from the books was that basic would be an improvement for more than 80% of the world’s current population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bolow posted:

Free clothes that are basically on par with the lovely paper gowns you get from the hospital. The food is also horrendous, being on basic was always a terrible thing. Hell in The Churn the escape plan Amos had was a big goddamn deal that cost a shitload of money and it was literally "You can go to vocational school". Because the alternative is slowly rotting away in some poo poo hole of an apartment that's overcrowded to poo poo, which the government can relocate you on a whim with practically no chance for appeal, while eating heavily processed food that might as well be cardboard and wearing clothes that would be thrown out at a Goodwill. Oh yeah and the internet is throttled to poo poo as well. The medical care is pretty nice until the government decides that you're not worth taking care of and restricts it to disease and pain management only, effectively killing you slowly.

Being able to exist a whole different beast than being able to live

Don't get me wrong, being on Basic sucks. It's clearly not a satisfying life for anyone with even a drop of ambition. It's still pretty different from what we see in the show, though, and I think the only thing the show version has going for it is being quicker to explain.

Re: The Churn, It's been a minute, so maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought Amos's ticket out was such an expense because it was originally his boss's escape plan, complete with a bunch of forged identifying information that a crime boss would need to avoid detection.

quote:

Those prospective students aren't even working to cover expenses; they're volunteering to demonstrate that they're willing and able to work, so the universities don't waste a slot on a slacker. If they don't get in anyway, they don't even have a little income to show for it.

• Locked thread