Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I almost thought I'd have to play this game myself :)

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Imagine having to play a good videogame.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sweet, a new Nier LP, and it's from The Dark Id.

All aboard Yoko Taro's newest Wild Ride, now designed by Hideki Kamiya.
Round and round it goes, and how wild it is, nobody knows.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
NieR: Automata is fantastic and this LP will be fantastic!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hoped you'd be back for this. There's plenty of video LPs of this around but I really hoped to see one in this style.

Now I could just gush about how amazing this game was, but I won't. I already did that in the Games thread. It's a good game, Brent

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh hell yes. I was hoping this would happen.

If I fail my course this semester, this game is responsible. I could not put it down.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yes. I finally bought the original Nier after rereading your LP for the second time. About three days before Automata was announced. I'm on Yoko Taro's wild ride for good now, and this LP is gonna be a trip.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kavak posted:

I almost thought I'd have to play this game myself :)

this game is absolutely worth playing yourself.

It's like nier if the gameplay was really great instead of serviceable

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am one of countless people who bought the original Nier due to your LP. Basically, I don't even think claiming that you did a better job selling it than their marketing department is hyperbole and I am so happy about the fact that this game exists.

I really want to play this game, but my PC is just barely below the required specs and I've hear that the port doesn't really give a lot of leeway.
Watching this LP might suffice.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 30, 2017

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

cant cook creole bream posted:

I am one of countless people who bought the original Nier due to your LP. Basically, I don't even think claiming that you did a better job selling it than their marketing department is hyperbole and I am so happy about the fact that this game exists.

I really want to play this game, but my PC is just barely below the required specs and I've hear that the port doesn't really give a lot of leeway.

I just want to add that there is now a fan made patch that addresses the performance and other things wrong with the PC port.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

I have honestly heard the oposite
That the best gaming pcs out there struggle with the game far more
Mine is mid range and the game runs and plays perfectly
... outside of keyboard and mouse controls being rear end and just barely serviceable (You have to double tap a movement key to dodge T_T for example)
Also, unrelated but in a weird coincidence I both got the first ending proper for automata AND finished re-reading Id's lp of original noer the very day this thread came out

Edit:also, for more of a great job id did with the classic nier lp, I recommend looking up a guy on youtube by the na e of clemps
He has a series that full on analizes all of drakengard and nier going in deep detail about everything, including digging up amazingly obscure side stuff

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 30, 2017

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Why yes, I would like to have a series of articles going in-depth on all aspects of the game from how it plays to the weird dumb lore.

Tell me all about the stage plays, ID.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Fredrik1 posted:

I just want to add that there is now a fan made patch that addresses the performance and other things wrong with the PC port.

Is there a fan patch to fix the horrendous keyboard and mouse controls?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Arkanumzilong posted:

There is. It's called using a controller.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Arkanumzilong posted:

I want to make a snarky comment about using controllers. But don't want to be mean about it.
Some games just aren't laid out for mouse controls.

Edit:

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, this was pretty much what I would have said.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

VolticSurge posted:

That is sort of an official patch :p
one that in my country costs anywhere from 300 to 500 bucks(about twice as much as the game realy), specially since my pc is really picky about recognizing non official xbox brand controlers, for some reason

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
.... A xbox 360 wired controller is surely not that expensive.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Arkanumzilong posted:

That is sort of an official patch :p
one that in my country costs anywhere from 300 to 500 bucks(about twice as much as the game realy), specially since my pc is really picky about recognizing non official xbox brand controlers, for some reason
I don't really want to derail that any further, but what country are you living in? Around here, I can get a 360 controller from Amazon for 30€. (20 if used.)
For comparison, the game costs around 60€.

Then again, I don't even know what currency you are using, maybe games are just dirt cheap there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 30, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Weirdly, I feel that gamepad is only needed for flight segments and some other thing.
Everything else goes a lot better with keyboard and mouse. Well, doubletap to evade is... weird, but manageable.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

I don't really want to derail that any further, but what country are you living in? Around here, I can get a 360 controller from Amazon for 30€. (20 if used.)
For comparison, the game costs around 60€.

Then again, I don't even know what currency you are using, maybe games are just dirt cheap there.

Brazil
Automata on steam, last I checked was about 150 bucks (may be confusing it with some other games ive seen recently
Though all AAA games are 100+ with very few exceptions.... bethesda games tend to be 200+)
And ever since ps4 xbone came out, actual official wired 360 controlers became rather hard to find
Bootlegs are all over the place, but originals are rare (last I seen one, w whole year ago, it cost 100-130 bucks)

Eletronics and gaming in brazil are kiiiiind of expensive...

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

NHO posted:

Weirdly, I feel that gamepad is only needed for flight segments and some other thing.
Everything else goes a lot better with keyboard and mouse. Well, doubletap to evade is... weird, but manageable.

honestly, yes, there have been moments the double tap hing or mouse camera control got in the way, but it mostly comes down to one tiny simple thing
Aiming, and the fact that for you to continuously shoot/aim on a given direction you need to continuously move the mouse in that precise direction
Because otherwise it wants to aim/shoot in the direction youre moving
All they need to do is fix that, and keyboard and mouse controls would become perfectly fine... well that and maybe letting you rebind dodge

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Add me to the list of people that bought the original Nier (twice, even) because of TDI's LP. Really excited for this one.

Also, Automata is an amazing game and everyone able to get their hands on it should definitely play it for themselves.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Priestly posted:

Add me to the list of people that bought the original Nier (twice, even) because of TDI's LP. Really excited for this one.

Also, Automata is an amazing game and everyone able to get their hands on it should definitely play it for themselves.

Yoko Taro actually mentioned in an interview that he wished people would play it themselves instead of watching someone else play it on the internet.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I was so glad to see TDI playing this game on Steam the day it released, and i never completely gave up hope he'd come back for it.

This is the only game i ever pre-ordered, i think. I spent about 1400$ on it (needed a new pc). I never actually played any other YT game before, but it was probably worth it.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode I-B: Not Hard

Welp. That happened. Hey. Guess what?

:frogsiren: DO NOT loving PLAY THE PROLOGUE ON HARD OR VERY HARD!!! :frogsiren:

The game said it didn’t auto-save. There’s not any save or checkpoints until after the prologue. There are no achievements for playing on Hard or Very Hard. You are a dingus who ripped their shirt out and flapped your dick about before getting owned if you die on the tutorial and deserve any ridicule you get, you masochistic dumbass.

Keeping that in mind, that was one of the 26 Endings of NieR: Automata. Yeah... there's an ending for every letter of the alphabet this time around. That was Ending W. All but five of them are mostly for loving up badly during the course of the game. We'll be hitting all of 'em as we progress through this title. I'm not even allowed to do the fake everyone dies gag anymore. Yoko Taro stole it all... Jerk. :v:

With that said, let’s put the difficulty back to Normal and play the game as it was intended...

Music: Alien Manifestation

If the player dies at ANY point until the tutorial is over, it’s a restart from the very beginning. Again, do NOT play on Hard. You die in two hits. It is very easy to gently caress up and get insta-gibbed early on! Let’s skip back to where we were, shall we?

As previously stated, Heavy Attack gives us a protective aura in addition to attacking. Strangely, this tech destroys ALL enemy orbs. It’s the only attack in the game that destroys BOTH colors of attacks. But it’s only available in the auto-scrolling top-down shooter segments. What does that mean? Well...

Permission granted.

Switching to all-range mode!

Say, how are you at dual-stick shooters? Cuz this is now a dual-stick shooter. We can fire in 360-degrees as enemies slowly scroll in firing from all directions.

Our Heavy Attack is now a 360-slash that fires out a full-screen attack in the direction it’s aimed. It still has the dark purple orb destroying attribute. We also have a Light Attack that doesn’t get a prompt tutorial. This just does a slash in one direction in all-range mode and ahead of us in the auto-scrolling shooter segments. This does NOT destroy purple orbs.

All-range mode introduces new flying saucers that scroll across the screen firing a concentrated laser blast. Best to take them out early, even if the Evade function can dodge through the laser fire. Gotta get that High Score! This game has no score system or anything telling you how much you’ve sucked in battle like most Platinum games. That poo poo is dumb.

You should evade. It is right trigger. R2? Oh, Christ... are you playing with keyboard and mouse like an idiot? It’s double-tap a direction. It’s bad. Why would you even do that? There are many instances where keyboard and mouse is demonstrably NOT the best option. This game is one of them you fo—

Fool. I’m still calling you a fool. I don’t care if you just died in a fiery explosion. Don’t play this game with keyboard and mouse next time!

*ring* 2B to Operator 6O. All allied units down. The operation is compromised. Awaiting further orders.

We need you to rendezvous with unit 9S and begin gathering data on the local terrain.
Understood.

Alright. Got it. Back to plane mode. There’s also Star Fox-esque head on shooter modes of gameplay. I’m still playing here. We’ve got Y and X axis controls but Z-axis is just gonna keep trucking.

And if you haven’t noticed, our mission destination is finally revealed: a coastal industrial facility. While the original Nier sort of a post-post apocalyptic setting where societies had sprung up again after things went to pot, we’re a couple more apocalypses deep and more of just a straight up post-apocalyptic setting now. You’ll see...

Anyway, 2B are you maybe going to cool it with your jet assault. I know the rest of your team got vaporized on the approach, but I *think* you’re within the safe zone at this point...

No? You’re just going for it...? Alright, I mean that’s on y—

WAIT poo poo! I’M STILL PLAYING! PLEASE SLOW DOWN 2B! FRICK!

Alright. Are you gonna slow down, now? That wasn’t cool. Just take it ea—

Oh. Now it’s Gradius. Side scrolling shooter sections have the same mechanics as the top-down scrolling segments. Heavy attack is again the “DESTORY EVERYTHING” orb.

NieR: Automata retains the rather arbitrary leveling up system of the original game. We gain a full heal and our stats all go up with each level gained. We’ve got more health and we hit harder. This, of course, applies to bullets as well. Our bullets are now stronger. That’s just science.

Levels are more important in this game than the original, as we now have access to enemy levels as well and a dude 10 levels higher than you WILL gently caress up your day. But let’s not worry about that for now. Everyone we’re encountering now is Level 1 or 2. We’ve got this!

Even if it suddenly shifts to a twin-stick shooter mode again. It’s still fine. On Normal, the reasonable difficulty, the game will briefly slow down time when we’re in critical health. AND it will auto-use a healing item, of which we’re given 15 regardless of difficulty, if we’re truly nearly hosed. That is disabled on Hard and above.

DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD! DONOTPLAYTHEPROLOGUEONHARD!

The final challenge of this segment is a new enemy... kinda. I mean, they just sort of taped five of the flying saucers together.

Though bound as they are, they’re capable of spinning around rapidly producing a damaging whirlwind if you... happen to fly into it as it slowly advances towards 2B’s craft. This is countered by just kinda backing up...

Since that doesn’t exactly work well, the craft opts to fire up lasers and slowly rotate clockwise around the screen. This is countered by err... circle strafing slowly in the same direction while firing at all times.

All the additional crafts can be individually destroyed to take out their lasers at this point, though only the middle craft counts to depleting the enemy’s HP.

Still, not a hard task. You’ll notice we’ve gained Unit Data from wrecking enemies. There’s a whole big codex of all enemies we’ll get to later. But for now...

Time to keep advancing down the tunnel that seems to be the same length as the runway from the end of Furious 6.

Err... 2B... I am pretty good at dodging obstacles and whatnot but err... You’re not giving me a lot of wiggle-room here. 2B? 2B...?

Break away on impact planes is the latest in safety innovations in the future.

That’s an angle...

Better.

That’s my go-to response for farting. Granted, I don’t know if that’s quite eff—

Oh. A sword... Right. Short range attack gear... That makes more sense!

Yes. I’m aware of that.

So meet our protagonist and the Grimoire Weiss support boy stand-in (voiced by a much less dickish sounding DC Douglas aka Grimoire Noire.)

Tune in next time for this game actually starting properly.

Video: Episode 1B Highlight Reel

2B Character Art – Look, I know we’re not playing on Hard anymore but you don’t have to do this blindfolded...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 31, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing about all of these quick shifts in shooter mode is that for the most part, they're not very jarring transitions and flow naturally into each other. The point where TDI died in the first highlight video might actually be the worst transition I can think of in the entire game though.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
when I learned that light attack still works; and that it deals some pretty good damage itself, I shifted my fingers around so I could keep shooting while mashing the light attack button. seemed pretty good at tearing through most stuff

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
As someone that has beaten the prologue on hard, DO NOT PLAY THE PROLOGUE ON HARD.

It's doable and I enjoyed the challenge for my 2nd playthrough, but dear lord is it difficult.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

For everyone not watching videos, all these tech jargon lines are actually voiced, and yes, they happen at the speed of four per second, so at the end you have a layered garbled mess of 15 dialogue lines playing on top of each other. It's great. Check it out.

Oh by the way, if anyone's ever wondered why 2B sounds kinda familiar to them, you might have been a retsupurae fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNREEEx6ZQ

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
How many babies has that katana killed? Will we find out?

If you say none I won't believe you.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Playing on hard first is a perfectly reasonable response if your last platinum game was metal gear rising where playing on normal was a waste of time over starting on hard.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

No, no, of course I didn't get ending W 3 times while playing on Normal. What an awful thing to say, how dare you

(I may have had issues unlearning Bloodborne's control scheme which was pure muscle memory at this point)

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Weeble posted:

How many babies has that katana killed? Will we find out?

If you say none I won't believe you.

Spoilers: Weapon History stories are back in a big way and they are CONSIDERABLY more hosed than Nier 1 or Drakengard 3. Like I need to keep a murder/suicide/child death counter on that poo poo because DANG.

Edit:

Fixed. Thanks.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 30, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Great, Pod is here. Everything will be fine.

All the intel stuff is great. Weapon Stories, yep, and also a ton of world-building.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I really like the frequent shifting of camera angles and gameplay styles, I was surprised more games didn't pick it up after the original Nier did it, but I guess it wasn't exactly seen as a smash hit at the time.

Also,

The Dark Id posted:

Still, not a hard task. You’ll notice we’ve gained Unit Data form wrecking enemies. There’s a whole big codex of all enemies we’ll get to later. But for now...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hargrimm posted:

I really like the frequent shifting of camera angles and gameplay styles, I was surprised more games didn't pick it up after the original Nier did it, but I guess it wasn't exactly seen as a smash hit at the time.

Very few people actually played through enough of Nier to see what made it good. I wouldn't be surprised if you see more games try out camera/genre shifting stuff now, cause Automata's actually making some waves.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are a poo poo tonne of lessons that games could have been learned from the original NieR, warts and all, and I struggle to think of many that did. Still, it helps that NieR: Automata is a true sequel to NieR so maybe now developers will get it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
In case any of y'all are wondering where you've heard 2B's English voice before, here's a hint

"How could I forget my banana"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNREEEx6ZQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm proud of Kira and hope we can make a banana fishing pole in this game.

Also I don't have anything that can play this, so I was just waiting to see whether it'd be you or Chip who plays this.

• Locked thread