Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The massive windowed arboretum looks like a huge weak spot in the design. That's got to be a good, what? 20-30 stories high?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

The massive windowed arboretum looks like a huge weak spot in the design. That's got to be a good, what? 20-30 stories high?

Until I saw the cover image I thought that was a cutaway to show off the interior of that big green space in the middle. The glowing edge even makes it look like it's covered with a forcefield which is just :roflolmao: if your tech level is anywhere below "Green Lantern".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, it's a starbase. Besides, if there was a battle the shields went down, you're hosed no matter where they shoot. And I doubt anyone hangs around in the park during battle.

That's a really awful render of the park, though. Would it have killed them to spend half an hour doing a faux interior projection? Or at least pick a texture that slightly looks like it works?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 30, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Mega Bloks giant Enterprise is on sale for just $99 on Amazon

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's just NuDS9's equivalent to the "Forcefield To Prove That We're In Space" Room that Picard takes Lily to in First Contact.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The one where she's like "that's the shittiest matte painting Earth I've ever seen"?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've read the novels and it's basically a giant recreation area

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Not if you are not in the states. $76 for customs and shipping.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've read the novels and it's basically a giant recreation area

Who runs the station in the novels? Hopefully nog and quark are still kicking around DS9 in the books!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Data Graham posted:

The one where she's like "that's the shittiest matte painting Earth I've ever seen"?

I love that they left out New Zealand.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

I love that they left out New Zealand.

Hey, it's the future. Maybe something happened to it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's where the Eugenics Wars took place, and now it no longer exists.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Who runs the station in the novels? Hopefully nog and quark are still kicking around DS9 in the books!
Ro Laren is the station Captain

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

What gets me about the vertical rings is that they are obviously there for visual continuity with Terok Nor, but they're not docking pylons. They have no obvious purpose. Why are they there?

I live in an apartment on one of the lower vertical rings and getting anywhere is a pain in the rear end. You'd think you could use transporters, but there's too many drat people on the station who have to get poo poo done so by the time you get to the front of the line you could've walked there.

You can do what most people do and wait for the turbolift (which is always crammed with people and gets backed up) or you can take a "personnel" spot on one of the supply trams but then you have to climb a bunch of catwalks and go through a a mountain of paperwork.

You better not have business anywhere but the promenade. Heaven help you if you have to travel to another ring because it's just a web of trams, hallways, and turbolifts. Non-perishable item request replicators for Federation citizens btw are on the opposite ring as the habitation ring so you know, good luck with that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

vermin posted:

I live in an apartment on one of the lower vertical rings and getting anywhere is a pain in the rear end. You'd think you could use transporters, but there's too many drat people on the station who have to get poo poo done so by the time you get to the front of the line you could've walked there.

You can do what most people do and wait for the turbolift (which is always crammed with people and gets backed up) or you can take a "personnel" spot on one of the supply trams but then you have to climb a bunch of catwalks and go through a a mountain of paperwork.

You better not have business anywhere but the promenade. Heaven help you if you have to travel to another ring because it's just a web of trams, hallways, and turbolifts. Non-perishable item request replicators for Federation citizens btw are on the opposite ring as the habitation ring so you know, good luck with that.

Sounds like getting between the primary and secondary hulls of the Oberth class. Who the hell thought turbolifts running at 45 degree angles were a good idea?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

It was moved to make the land bridge between Australia and Papua New Guinea.

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds like getting between the primary and secondary hulls of the Oberth class. Who the hell thought turbolifts running at 45 degree angles were a good idea?

You know, as goofy as Andromeda got I liked the little details like the hallway sets sometimes curving up or down in the distance, the ship was supposed to be like 4 km long and if you're already using artificial gravity, why not? A turbolift could spin and tumble like a freaking beyblade and you'd never notice as long as the floor had a separate gravity field, it's all relative.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The_Doctor posted:

To be fair, they put regular lifts in the Eiffel Tower. The angle isn't as steep, but they had to do it with 19th century technology.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I always hated that Oberth explanation. I much prefer the concept of the lower hull being a giant unmanned sensor pod and the actual vessel is just the saucer and nacelles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Probably the descendants of the people who built the Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I always hated that Oberth explanation. I much prefer the concept of the lower hull being a giant unmanned sensor pod and the actual vessel is just the saucer and nacelles.

I agree, but the idea that everyone's riding sideways turbolifts like some kind of carnival attraction is too funny.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Knormal posted:

This ended up being the perfect example of why you need producers, directors, etc. to reign in the creatives. That this was designed by Doug Drexler and Andrew Probert, who together are responsible for tons of the most iconic Trek designs. Granted they were kind of boxed-in by the descriptions of the new station from the novel it premeired in, but still that design needed some people sending them back to tweaking. Obviously none of the novel people are going to tell Drexler or Probert to try again, given their pedigree.

Probert I'll give you, but Drexler's work on Star Trek was primarily on the graphics side. The only ship he ever actually designed was the NX class (and the NX refit he proposed was loving hideous).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Timby posted:

Probert I'll give you, but Drexler's work on Star Trek was primarily on the graphics side. The only ship he ever actually designed was the NX class (and the NX refit he proposed was loving hideous).

Any images?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ehh, that's fine.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Timby posted:

The only ship he ever actually designed was the NX class

plagiarized from the Akira

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Refit looks good in that it looks like a refit, so slightly off and not a true original design, but also a plausible link between NX ENT and later ships.

It's good, even if ugly, and I don't even think it's that ugly.

Whats the explanation? Warp 6 engine that much bigger or put apart for safety somehow?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really not that bad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like its little belly

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I am so loving glad they didn't do that. I enjoy Enterprise but if that monstrosity was the direction I'm happy it got canceled.

(I feel the same way about Firefly.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Fat tadpole stardrive

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

That was a top-down decision, he had to convince them not to just make it THE Akira.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FuturePastNow posted:

That was all on Berman and Braga. They wanted to straight-up re-use the Akira, rationalizing that because it had only had background appearances in First Contact and in DS9, no one would really notice or care. Drexler was basically forced into the basic shape, but succeeded in pushing through some structural changes to make it look like a much older design (or at least as much as he could).

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

That thing looks like the NX and the Constitution had a transporter accident. The Tuvix of ships.

e: Why does it have two deflectors?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Timby posted:

That was all on Berman and Braga. They wanted to straight-up re-use the Akira, rationalizing that because it had only had background appearances in First Contact and in DS9, no one would really notice or care. Drexler was basically forced into the basic shape, but succeeded in pushing through some structural changes to make it look like a much older design (or at least as much as he could).

drat, these people don't know their audience at ALL.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

drat, these people don't know their audience at ALL.

People are already mad about that wireframe ship in the Discovery teaser trailer that looks too modern for the TOS era.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lord Hydronium posted:

e: Why does it have two deflectors?

Because Drexler is not a good designer. He's a fan of Gabe Koerner's hideous concept for a rebooted 1701:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That Connie is almost good. The cut-outs on the front of the neck and the bottom of the secondary hull are just...weird.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think it's a good look for an alternate universe take, I wouldn't want it to be the regular ship but I could handle it in like a TOS version of "Yesterday's Enterprise" or "Parallels". (If either of those episodes were made today I imagine they'd have a bit of fun with the CG model, especially the latter.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'd have liked it to be the JJPrise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

I can't tell what's a good spaceship design and what isn't but this looks like an eye-puzzle.