Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

that guy has a giant banner of someone elses tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that guy has a giant banner of someone elses tweet

Twitter's official banner should be a dril tweet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

an english translation of a biblical name

turns out there wasnt actually a matthew, mark, luke, or john, in like 30ad

lucifer is latin you dope

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

echinopsis posted:

an english translation of a biblical name

turns out there wasnt actually a matthew, mark, luke, or john, in like 30ad

From what I understand, the gospels do not even say there was. In the context of the greek genre they were written the name is supposed to be taken as 'one or more anonymous authors wrote this story down as told by another anonymous source they called "this"'. The authors of Luke and John even explicitly say they aren't eye witnesses and are just repeating the story from other sources, although there's clear evidence that both are lying about their sources and intent. Also, the 'they called "this"' part may have been added several decades after the gospels had been in circulation as a way of making them more authoritative compared others circulating by that point. The idea they were the names of actual disciples of Jesus is a later invention/assumption.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

From what I understand, the gospels do not even say there was. In the context of the greek genre they were written the name is supposed to be taken as 'one or more anonymous authors wrote this story down as told by another anonymous source they called "this"'. The authors of Luke and John even explicitly say they aren't eye witnesses and are just repeating the story from other sources, although there's clear evidence that both are lying about their sources and intent. Also, the 'they called "this"' part may have been added several decades after the gospels had been in circulation as a way of making them more authoritative compared others circulating by that point. The idea they were the names of actual disciples of Jesus is a later invention/assumption.

Bible.... unfounded and based on hearsay? #wow #whoa

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

spankmeister posted:

It's okay... the future generations will just take the big picture meaning out of it all

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

I also share your weird hobby of reading bible academics and their slapfights. And everything you describe is as secure as facts come in that field. The copies of letters from apostolic fathers we have are full of early church bigwigs making goofy-rear end guesses as to whose name to invent and put on which gospel.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

sad Clippy

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

someone edit VALVULA GENERAL to MAKE WINDOWS GREAT AGAIN

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Which episode of Star Wars was General Valvula in again?

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

spankmeister posted:

I'm sure a lot of people have this idea, but I think a lot don't realize just how overt it is in the gospels themselves.

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

I also share your weird hobby of reading bible academics and their slapfights.

The most important thing you need to know about secular biblical studies is that there is simultaneous consensus that there was some historical ordinary man Jesus that started the religion, while at the same time consensus that the methodology used to reach to that conclusion was terrible and half based on things taught to them by fundamentalist teachers that they never bothered to double check were actually true.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNYXAKqOtjo

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Actually, its the literal and infallible word of God.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhJA11bRvRc

smartphone-friendly pedestrian crossing pilot project in netherlands

lmao like they'll be looking at anything besides their loving phone

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

vodkat posted:

got a link for more on this ?
i don't know about the demand part, but i've seen a few articles like this: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-corruption-realestate-idUSKCN0UR2LM20160113

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

The most important thing you need to know about secular biblical studies is that there is simultaneous consensus that there was some historical ordinary man Jesus that started the religion, while at the same time consensus that the methodology used to reach to that conclusion was terrible and half based on things taught to them by fundamentalist teachers that they never bothered to double check were actually true.
"jesus wasn't real" ~neohentaimaster

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

I don't know who you've been reading, but no. Ehrman would punch you

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dislike button posted:

Actually, its the literal and infallible word of God.
actually thats

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
when i was in my late teens i tried to figure out what consensus if any we had about the provenance of the bible and the literal actual existence of a real person that roughly fits the mold for jesus. although the internet wasn't what it is now i came to the conclusion that the bible was more or less an accumulation of confabulations and edits by people with vested interests, and also that maybe jesus didn't actually exist at all. i also couldn't really prove these things positively, which was ultimately ok, i'm fine with agnosticism and balance of reasonable probabilities etc

the important thing is that even if the bible isn't really what people think it is and jesus wasn't actually factually real in any meaningful way, we still have the subsequent history of the ideology leading us to where we are today and i still have to make the best of things regardless of what i think privately

maybe things have changed in the scholarship over the past couple decades but i really don't care if they have

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

someone edit VALVULA GENERAL to MAKE WINDOWS GREAT AGAIN

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

but... windows was never great!!

:thejoke: neither was america, american exceptionalism is a myth, etc etc

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

in san francisco you'd probably be treated better wearing that than if you were wearing a similar jacket that said JESUS.

Good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

but... windows was never great!!

:thejoke: neither was america, american exceptionalism is a myth, etc etc

American exceptionalism is actively holding back America from progressing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/847423899990081536

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this is bad

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/PREMlUMCONTENT/status/847451253084872706

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

watch bush start a loving anime website

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

dont look so down clippy at least u still gettin work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this is amazing

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

i was in your mom's valvula general last night iykwim

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

the important thing is that even if the bible isn't really what people think it is and jesus wasn't actually factually real in any meaningful way, we still have the subsequent history of the ideology leading us to where we are today and i still have to make the best of things regardless of what i think privately

what i really like is that nowadays people go "oh the magic man walked around healing people" like that was the notable thing deserving of worship

when in fact that was a somewhat common profession at the time. in context the notable thing of the story is that he didn't charge for his services

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spankmeister posted:

American exceptionalism is actively holding back America from progressing.

if being immune to the passage of time isnt exceptional id like to know what is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ a bunch of jelly rear end foreigners hating on America

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what i really like is that nowadays people go "oh the magic man walked around healing people" like that was the notable thing deserving of worship

when in fact that was a somewhat common profession at the time. in context the notable thing of the story is that he didn't charge for his services
excellent point

it's free heal a mate

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

it's free heal a mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

• Locked thread