Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Or the Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This was the best-scripted, best-directed, best-acted superhero movie of all time. It approached the subject with an expertly-tuned degree of gravitas, and does a wonderful job of painting a world through overheard snippets rather than exposition dumps and monologues. It's probably the superhero movie that credits its audience's intelligence the most as well, and is by all means a very well-crafted bit of media.

I didn't care for it.

I'm not saying that every comic book movie needs to be a black-vs-while heroes-unequivocally-triumph-over-all bit of pablum, and a death-of-wolverine sendoff is fine, but it just felt like the movie was so grim and mean-spirited to its protagonists and its world so utterly stripped of hope that I felt like I'd been watching a puppy get kicked to death over the course of 2 1/4 hours.

X-men as a franchise is one that focuses on an oppressed people overcoming struggles and prejudices, and there's been a whole lot of analogies drawn between the struggles and eventual triumph of mutants and real-world struggles in relation to racism, homophobia, religious persecution etc, but at the end of the day there's a message about facing that oppression and there being hope for the future. This movie straight-up tells you "Xavier's dream is dead, mutants have been silently and successfully genocided, the future is hosed, the heroes are either mentally (though accidentally killing all of his friends/surrogate family, you know, all those characters that you liked and then suffering brain disease) or physically broken, throw away your comic books you rube."

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This movie is really really good on all levels. I didn't care for it. -A Goon

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

UmOk posted:

This movie is really really good on all levels. I didn't care for it. -A Goon

It is impossible to recognise skill in the application of a craft and yet not subjectively enjoy its end result. -A Goon

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

A big part of the movie focuses on comic books/Wolverine being a symbol of hope to the next generation with Laura hopefully carrying on the kind parts of him after killing the cruel parts. I don't think it's saying "throw out your comics."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Breetai posted:

X-men as a franchise is one that focuses on an oppressed people overcoming struggles and prejudices, and there's been a whole lot of analogies drawn between the struggles and eventual triumph of mutants and real-world struggles in relation to racism, homophobia, religious persecution etc, but at the end of the day there's a message about facing that oppression and there being hope for the future.

idk man, logan's whole arc in the movie ultimately leads to him confronting people exploiting his kind and dying in order to protect those who are left

it's a grim world but logan did his part to make it a little bit better and you don't do that without the hope that it'll be worth it

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

A big part of the movie focuses on comic books/Wolverine being a symbol of hope to the next generation with Laura hopefully carrying on the kind parts of him after killing the cruel parts. I don't think it's saying "throw out your comics."

Yeah, Eden was just a random idea in a comic, but the kids use it as a beacon of hope.
Not entirely sure where the idea that "hope" means things are going to be easy comes from, there's light at the end of the tunnel sure, but you still have to go through the dark to get there.

In terms of myths, hope was underneath all the death and destruction inside Pandora's box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuPf3OhbcGw

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Finally saw it today, I liked it and all, but I have a bit of an issue where no matter how good a movie is, once the runtime goes past a certain point, I start to get restless and just want things to wrap up.

My one complaint was Donald Pierce's role in the movie. I thought Boyd Holbrook played him well, but he didn't really read like much of a threat/antagonist.

I also thought the doctor expositioning about how they quelled random mutant births was a little heavy-handed; I thought the cause was implied when Eriq LaSalle mentioned the GMO corn and how it's in just about every drink.

I thought the best little touches were that X-Men comics were a dramatized version of what actually happened, as well as the one kid carrying a Wolverine action figure at the grave site.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
If you read the thread you will be informed that the action figure actually ruined the whole movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it was a bad action figure. They shoulda used a Hot Toys one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It should've been sculpted from a woodblock.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It should've been a life-sizeed cutout or a dakimakura of Logan.

Breetai posted:

This was the best-scripted, best-directed, best-acted superhero movie of all time. It approached the subject with an expertly-tuned degree of gravitas, and does a wonderful job of painting a world through overheard snippets rather than exposition dumps and monologues. It's probably the superhero movie that credits its audience's intelligence the most as well, and is by all means a very well-crafted bit of media.

So the takeaway was that it had *~world-building~*.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 30, 2017

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

listen, if a movie doesn't make me feel like i'm being transported away from my lovely life and into another world, well, then that movie is trash

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Snowman_McK posted:

Actual white supremacists did get super angry at a particular bit of casting in the Thor movies. You might be able to guess which bit it was.

Natalie Portman.

Thor would never have a Jewish girlfriend!

and Idris Elba as Heimdall the White, of course

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So nobody here has ever seen a movie that is technically proficiently made, receiving critical acclaim, and that they recognise is well-crafted, and yet didn't particularly float their boat for whatever subjective personal reason?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Breetai posted:

So nobody here has ever seen a movie that is technically proficiently made, receiving critical acclaim, and that they recognise is well-crafted, and yet didn't particularly float their boat for whatever subjective personal reason?

I appreciate Blade Runner for its art design and atmosphere, but the movie's kind of a bore to me.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's definitely a fine piece of work but the moment that crystallized the film's shortcomings was:

At the very end when Laura calls Logan "papa." My immediate reaction to that line was, "Wait, what?" It made sense a moment later--of course a 10 year old child is going to look to Logan as a father figure--he's the same as her, he's trying to protect her, she's a vulnerable child without anyone in the world. But I never really bought it, and I think my gut reaction was right. A big part of the problem is that movie wants to have its cake and eat it; yes violence is awful and damaging...but isn't it kickin rad when Laura cuts that guy's head off?! She never really reads as vulnerable. She's, like, about Logan's equal in a fight. It seems like the first thing a half decent human being like Logan would be trying to do would be to prevent her from having to do violence...but it doesn't seem to bother him that much. It's not a great movie but I thought of Road to Perdition as a pretty good approach to similar material. That film has an almost identical conclusion but there the final gunshot there really rings out. It feels like truly significant moment for both the child and adult characters. Here, well, Laura's already iced like a dozen guys already.

I guess the question at the heart of the movie is whether Laura (and her friends) are going to meet the same fate as the previous X-Men, or if a better world is possible. But you never really get the sense that her soul's at stake or anything. What does she end up learning from Logan, or choosing not to learn from him? Why, on the level of theme, did the X-Men fail, and is it going to happen again? I thought it was interesting how little respect or awe the kids seemed to have for him--they view the previous generation rather disdainfully, but why?

porfiria fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 30, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

It's definitely a fine piece of work but the moment that crystallized the film's shortcomings was:

At the very end when Laura calls Logan "papa." My immediate reaction to that line was, "Wait, what?" It made sense a moment later--of course a 10 year old child is going to look to Logan as a father figure--he's the same as her, he's trying to protect her, she's a vulnerable child without anyone in the world. But I never really bought it

I dunno about your whole conclusion but I did have a similar reaction at the end of Aliens when Newt called Ripley mommy

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So the takeaway was that it had *~world-building~*.

By next week I expect you'll be throwing shade on the makeup and costume work.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I would give this movie 6/6 Adamantium claws. I didn't really care for it though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I would sacrifice my first born son for this film. It was alright I guess.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

Maybe people are bemused at someone calling it "the best-scripted, best-directed, best-acted superhero movie of all time" when it's barely superheroic as already pointed out. It's no Man of Steel.

"The best superhero movie" even seems like a surrender, a tacit acknowledgement that it can only thrive under a very specific label It's not even superior to Road to Perdition, a competent but forgettable comic book movie about father and child navigating a dissolute world of violence.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Wow, hold on a second.

Are you saying Man of Steel is better than Logan?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alan_Shore posted:

Wow, hold on a second.

Based on his posts so far in this thread, he believes Man of Steel fosters a proper Volksgemeinschaft like mythology does, while Logan only offers Gesellschaft relationships. Now, I would dispute these assertions, but I doubt there's any point in objecting because that would mark you as outside Volksgemeinschaft.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brainiac Five posted:

Based on his posts so far in this thread, he believes Man of Steel fosters a proper Volksgemeinschaft like mythology does, while Logan only offers Gesellschaft relationships. Now, I would dispute these assertions, but I doubt there's any point in objecting because that would mark you as outside Volksgemeinschaft.

This tbh.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Wow, hold on a second.

He probably is, and I definitely will right now since you ask.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I kind of get where Breetai is coming from, though I would have put it a little differently. Well made films that I find viscerally depressing aren't something I want to watch every day, but being depressing isn't a comment on the film's quality. If anything, it's the opposite, considering the movie's world is one where there is a pharmaceutical cure for diversity, and the rest are hunted down by white trash with guns and neck tattoos. It's a hell of white people, if it wasn't depressing then the film makers were incompetent.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

porfiria posted:

At the very end when Laura calls Logan "papa." My immediate reaction to that line was, "Wait, what?" It made sense a moment later--of course a 10 year old child is going to look to Logan as a father figure--he's the same as her, he's trying to protect her, she's a vulnerable child without anyone in the world. But I never really bought it, and I think my gut reaction was right. A big part of the problem is that movie wants to have its cake and eat it; yes violence is awful and damaging...but isn't it kickin rad when Laura cuts that guy's head off?! She never really reads as vulnerable. She's, like, about Logan's equal in a fight. It seems like the first thing a half decent human being like Logan would be trying to do would be to prevent her from having to do violence...but it doesn't seem to bother him that much. It's not a great movie but I thought of Road to Perdition as a pretty good approach to similar material. That film has an almost identical conclusion but there the final gunshot there really rings out. It feels like truly significant moment for both the child and adult characters. Here, well, Laura's already iced like a dozen guys already.

I guess the question at the heart of the movie is whether Laura (and her friends) are going to meet the same fate as the previous X-Men, or if a better world is possible. But you never really get the sense that her soul's at stake or anything. What does she end up learning from Logan, or choosing not to learn from him? Why, on the level of theme, did the X-Men fail, and is it going to happen again? I thought it was interesting how little respect or awe the kids seemed to have for him--they view the previous generation rather disdainfully, but why?

He's not a father figure, he is her father. Xavier tells that to Logan in no uncertain terms, and I'm sure that the Spanish nurse also told Laura why they are so very specifically looking for Logan. This might even be stated in the movie. So she knows that biologically, he is her father, and over the course of the film, he also becomes that emotionally.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alan_Shore posted:

I am also saying that Logan isn't even as good as Road to Perdition.

Brainiac Five posted:

Actually Man of Steel is good because of how well it translates the promises and potential of comic book fantasies into exciting cinema, and Logan pales in comparison as a sci-fi superhero adventure.

Trying to treat pop culture as myth is misguided, and it's ill-served in that role.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 30, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Lamps is Tezzor for the Logan thread.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I am also saying that Logan isn't even as good as Road to Perdition.

Actually Man of Steel is good because of how well it translates the promises and potential of comic book fantasies into exciting cinema, and Logan pales in comparison as a sci-fi superhero adventure.

Trying to treat pop culture as myth is misguided, and it's ill-served in that role.

To be fair I don't think Logan really tries to (treat it as myth). No one in the movie really gives a poo poo about the X-Men one way or the other. I feel like the myth angle only came up because someone was defending the toy in the final scene--which I agree doesn't quite work, but mostly because, again, the kids don't really give much of a poo poo about Logan. I guess that one little fat kid was a fanboy. They don't even really care if he comes with them on the last leg of their incredibly dangerous journey, which just from a tactical perspective seems pointedly dismissive (and foolish)!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Okay, so it's good because you found it exciting. Thank you for your contribution.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I just got back from seeing Logan and holy loving lol at people here saying MoS was better. This was the best comic book movie I've ever seen probably. Logan and the girl both played their parts perfectly, loved it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Doflamingo posted:

I just got back from seeing Logan and holy loving lol at people here saying MoS was better. This was the best comic book movie I've ever seen probably. Logan and the girl both played their parts perfectly, loved it.

It was actually the greatest thing ever created in the history of all entertainment at least since William Q Shakespeare. I didn't really care for it.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

UmOk posted:

It was actually the greatest thing ever created in the history of all entertainment at least since William Q Shakespeare. I didn't really care for it.

Oh yeah, same.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I know Breetai's post hurt your feelings real bad, but I mostly agree with him. There were many things I liked about Logan, the first half of so was very compelling, but the entire story came to a crashing halt at the family's farmhouse and the new clone. By the end I just wanted it to be over, there was nothing new or interesting being done with the film.

I think my favorite part was how it finally depicted Wolverine as a horrific murder machine and mutants in general as dangerous and terrifying monsters. The inescapable conclusion of the entire X-men movie franchise has been 1) Magneto was right all along and 2) mutants are too dangerous to exist.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Breetai posted:

I didn't care for it.

I'm not saying that every comic book movie needs to be a black-vs-while heroes-unequivocally-triumph-over-all bit of pablum, and a death-of-wolverine sendoff is fine, but it just felt like the movie was so grim and mean-spirited to its protagonists and its world so utterly stripped of hope that I felt like I'd been watching a puppy get kicked to death over the course of 2 1/4 hours.

X-men as a franchise is one that focuses on an oppressed people overcoming struggles and prejudices, and there's been a whole lot of analogies drawn between the struggles and eventual triumph of mutants and real-world struggles in relation to racism, homophobia, religious persecution etc, but at the end of the day there's a message about facing that oppression and there being hope for the future. This movie straight-up tells you "Xavier's dream is dead, mutants have been silently and successfully genocided, the future is hosed, the heroes are either mentally (though accidentally killing all of his friends/surrogate family, you know, all those characters that you liked and then suffering brain disease) or physically broken, throw away your comic books you rube."

i agree completely, and i think the bleakness was compounded by the way themes kept on getting brought up that would almost immediately be broken a little bit later. Like logan saying he doesn't like guns minutes before he blows a guys head off in the middle of a speech. or the entire movie-long hoorah about making sure the kids wouldn't have to fight anymore, except they do fight at the end anyway too.

i think it's parallel to silver age comics in that marvel had written for children and family audiences for so long that it ended up with a child's view of what "maturity" is. so they decide to dip their toes into the R rating and now the mentor figure is an accidental genocider and 11 year olds are shooting people in the face. it's a juvenile view of Grim and Gritty, imo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

i agree completely, and i think the bleakness was compounded by the way themes kept on getting brought up that would almost immediately be broken a little bit later. Like logan saying he doesn't like guns minutes before he blows a guys head off in the middle of a speech. or the entire movie-long hoorah about making sure the kids wouldn't have to fight anymore, except they do fight at the end anyway too.

or walking back laura's stunted development

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

Those parts were great because they showed how desperate everyone was. Did you really not get that? Logan had to use the gun despite his disdain for them because he felt like he had no other options left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Doflamingo posted:

Those parts were great because they showed how desperate everyone was. Did you really not get that? Logan had to use the gun despite his disdain for them because he felt like he had no other options left.

And then at the end he stopped using the gun because he was too used to not using it. If only there was some kind of a running theme throughout the film about people being unable to change trying to stop people going down the same path as them. A shane they didn't do that.

• Locked thread