Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Okay the actual Ringed City itself redeems the DLC somewhat

I kinda wish they didn't go with Yet Another Artorias as what appears to be the DLC's final boss but it's actually quite a fun fight. The dude hits so goddamn hard that you're forced to learn the rhythm and dodge through his attacks in the correct directions as opposed to just facetanking your way through everything. Made steady progress through the fight and got him down below 10% on the final attempt of the night, looking forward to getting this all tied off tonight.

PvP boss fight is a neat concept, but obviously I had to do it offline because I'm not a maximum tryhard. Not sure why it needs to be that heavily stacked against the invadee player either; I guess it's balanced around the invadee rolling in with a three-man bro squad?

The aesthetic of the area itself is quite nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The PVP boss is the single best piece of content in the DLC. :colbert:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carl Seitan posted:

Oh poo poo. Just read that there's an entrance to the Ringed City in Sister Friede's chapel. Thank god. I thought I was gonna have to get the the Kiln of the First Flame before I could access it.

Not in the chapel, it's after the boss fight. So while you can technically access the Dreg Heap after just reaching the Cleansing Chapel... you still need to be able to beat all three wonderful phases of the Friede fight :darksouls:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weeping Wound posted:

The PVP boss is the single best piece of content in the DLC. :colbert:

I'm beelining for being able to do that. With the covenant item on do you have to be in the area or can you be summoned from anywhere in the game?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're not using the preacher's arm after this DLC then you just hate fun.

Yeah it really takes the sting out of the aquamarine dagger turning out to be kinda bad, we got a fun new casting tool instead!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm beelining for being able to do that. With the covenant item on do you have to be in the area or can you be summoned from anywhere in the game?

Don't quite know yet, I'll see later. I forgot that I didn't run Demon Ruins on this character, so we'll find out.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty sure you can be summoned from anywhere where the icon is glowing. Can confirm I got summoned while in the ashes dlc.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This DLC's placement is all but telling you that you should be going into New Game Plus with its rewards.

Though that does bring to light DS3's big failing over its otherwise subpar predecessor--there's no NG+ exclusive content, like the red phantoms who showed up everywhere in DS2 (to the point of absurdity in Scholar!)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Awesome, I loved being a Mirror Squire in 2 but being forced to stay in that one spot sucked.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's something fundamental about DS3's PvP that I don't get either. Somehow in vanilla DS2 I managed to eke out a white burning invader aura in the arena but in 3 I just get my poo poo smashed. And in 2 I even managed to do it with a fairly original dual-wield setup instead of using meme weapons like the Chaos Blade.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

What do the new covenant rewards even do

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Now that I'm able to play the DLC, I'm trying to catch up with the thread, but gently caress that it's too much to read lol.

What +3 rings are available to me if I've beaten the first DLC boss, and gotten to the area after it, but haven't gotten to the 2nd boss yet?

And what's a good build for Pyro? I have Demon's Scar which is super badass.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
ok so lore thingy

from the impression i am getting from the DLC, the darksign itself isn't at all a result of humanity or anything like that, it is entirely manufactured by the gods and planted onto humanity because they feared them

now the real question becomes, how did the darksign get put onto every human? i kinda sorta theorize that when gwyn linked the fire, it created, in a sense, the darksign, planting it into humanity and ensuring that they would never become strong enough to overcome the gods or become unified in purpose

the main problem being, of course, that he had no loving clue what it would actually do and WHOOPS UNDEAD OVERRUNNING ANYTHING

once again, the gods of dark souls are incredibly loving incompetent and seemingly only interested in saving their own asses 90% of the time

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I look forward to murdering many, many, many people as a proud Spear of the Church.

How does it work anyway? Do you have to be in the church lobby to be summoned? I'm lvl121 and I'm not getting any summons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What do the new covenant rewards even do

Looks like they only apply to the fight itself. One improves your defense and the other is a stronger usable item (but can still only be used in the fight).

I think that's a great way of doing the rewards, personally :shobon:

Elman posted:

How does it work anyway? Do you have to be in the church lobby to be summoned? I'm lvl121 and I'm not getting any summons.

If the covenant icon up in the corner is flashing, you're eligible. It doesn't seem restricted to the church, but I'm unsure if you can be summoned from anywhere. I was around the same level and couldn't go 20 seconds without being summoned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Annath posted:

Now that I'm able to play the DLC, I'm trying to catch up with the thread, but gently caress that it's too much to read lol.

What +3 rings are available to me if I've beaten the first DLC boss, and gotten to the area after it, but haven't gotten to the 2nd boss yet?

And what's a good build for Pyro? I have Demon's Scar which is super badass.

16/16/40/40 str/dex/int/fth (or whatever the requirements for Onyx Blade are in str/dex) is pretty good for me. Pair that weapon with Flame Fan, it's great, and at max level is only 14 spell buff or so weaker than a pyro flame. Mostly useless in pvp though.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The last boss of this DLC is one of those types where even after I beat him I'm not sure I understand everything about him. His first phase was very easy but the way to consistently dodge a few moves in his second phase continued to elude me all the way to his defeat. The precise mechanics of Gael's cape are confusing to me, I could never consistently roll through it. The crossbow bolt spamming was much the same. Thankfully neither of those things do too much damage.

Now to tackle that optional boss that most people seem to hate, sounds fun!!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Your Computer posted:

Looks like they only apply to the fight itself. One improves your defense and the other is a stronger usable item (but can still only be used in the fight).

I think that's a great way of doing the rewards, personally :shobon:

If the covenant icon up in the corner is flashing, you're eligible. It doesn't seem restricted to the church, but I'm unsure if you can be summoned from anywhere. I was around the same level and couldn't go 20 seconds without being summoned.

Yeah they only apply to the covenant itself and it makes it easier to handle the 4 phantom fights.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

ok so lore thingy

from the impression i am getting from the DLC, the darksign itself isn't at all a result of humanity or anything like that, it is entirely manufactured by the gods and planted onto humanity because they feared them

now the real question becomes, how did the darksign get put onto every human? i kinda sorta theorize that when gwyn linked the fire, it created, in a sense, the darksign, planting it into humanity and ensuring that they would never become strong enough to overcome the gods or become unified in purpose

the main problem being, of course, that he had no loving clue what it would actually do and WHOOPS UNDEAD OVERRUNNING ANYTHING

once again, the gods of dark souls are incredibly loving incompetent and seemingly only interested in saving their own asses 90% of the time

My guess: I want to think the gods created the darksign before Gwyn linked the fire - the imagery is all over the Ringed City, and the Ringed City itself is shaped like the Dark Sign, right? Perhaps the city itself is some sort of seal on humanity/the world? The city contained in it seems to be similar to Oolacile - a city of earlier humans. Also in it, is an abyssal swamp, which seems like it might be slowly consuming the city? But it seems like stuff that falls into dark/abyss comes out of the swamp - The Dragonslayer Armor from lothric, the white birch bow from Oolacile.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Iron dragonslayer armor description confirms the kiln is at the end of time? You kill him like an hour before you read the kiln and that was "ages ago"

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What do you all think of the new miracles?

I am not keen on the projected heal miracle. It seems to be useless or the pubbies I end up summoning run away from it.

The lightning arrow however seems really good its fast and does good damage. You can also hold it to mess with people's timing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
So I found the monument Lapp was looking for, but he's not here. Do I need to go kill someone first?

e: Nvm, found him

skasion fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 30, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Iron dragonslayer armor description confirms the kiln is at the end of time? You kill him like an hour before you read the kiln and that was "ages ago"
Ringed City is even further ahead than that I think. Even the Darksign Sun has gone out. Also Patches having gone hollow long ago, finding Alva guarding Karla's corpse etc

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Viridiant posted:

The last boss of this DLC is one of those types where even after I beat him I'm not sure I understand everything about him. His first phase was very easy but the way to consistently dodge a few moves in his second phase continued to elude me all the way to his defeat. The precise mechanics of Gael's cape are confusing to me, I could never consistently roll through it. The crossbow bolt spamming was much the same. Thankfully neither of those things do too much damage.

Now to tackle that optional boss that most people seem to hate, sounds fun!!

For one, that fight is less about dodging absolutely everything than it is just dodging the biggest hits. If you noticed, you basically don't get stunned at all by most of the attacks in that fight so you can always respond immediately to whatever comes next. You can also hyper armor through pretty much everything he does and successfully trade hits, especially since most of his attacks aren't that strong (even on ng+2). The hitboxes of his moves seem to change as the fight goes on. In the first phase it's just the sword so that's simple enough. In the second phase the introduction of the cape mostly just increases his range so it's still a simple matter of timing. With the third phase the cape seems to actually come a little bit after whatever swing he just did, either that or it comes with it but its hitbox lingers a little, meaning you can dodge the main sword swipe but still take a little bit of damage from the cape. Crossbow you can avoid just by running to the left (your left) when he starts firing it, and it'll never hit you. Also a good strategy for avoiding his Way of the White Corona miracle.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I guess so? Time is convoluted! Basically any time you're warping, there seems to be room for time shenanigans. Dark Firelink, "Normal" Firelink, and Kiln Firelink all seem to be the same place at different times. The presumption is The Ringed City exists in the time of Kiln firelink, since you can see the dreg heap, and from the dreg heap to Ringed City, there's no warping...but you don't see the darksign sun / eclipse. I have no idea which firelink is in the time with Lothric Dragonslayer Armor though. You could walk from that Dragonslayer to Dark Firelink, but it doesn't explain why the rest of the world isn't dark.

Viridiant posted:

The precise mechanics of Gael's cape are confusing to me, I could never consistently roll through it. The crossbow bolt spamming was much the same. Thankfully neither of those things do too much damage.

I don't remember having too much trouble evading that. I think you just roll late.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

People with the experience what's the better end game SL for pvp 125 or 140?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

What do you all think of the new miracles?

Someone said that you can get a pretty decent heal off Projected Heal if you shoot your feet :v:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I have a NG+ char and am playing through with a brand new char that hasn't been all the way through the game. Should I play the DLC with the NG+ char or on my new char in it's first play through?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

finding Alva guarding Karla's corpse

Wait, what?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Elman posted:

Wait, what?

In the Ringed City, a red phantom "Seeker of the Spurned" (we met him earlier as Alva, Seeker of the Spurned) guards a body with the black witch set. Only the Black Witch Set's description says it belonged to Zullie. So I think they just confused which witch wore which witch set.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

For one, that fight is less about dodging absolutely everything than it is just dodging the biggest hits.

It's more about dodging in the correct direction actually. You can dodge both the sword hits and the cape as long as you dodge late and pick your direction well. The cape moves in a predictable manner, so you need to memorize the timing of the sword and the position of the cape per attack/combo.

It's awesome and I love it :swoon:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

It's more about dodging in the correct direction actually. You can dodge both the sword hits and the cape as long as you dodge late and pick your direction well. The cape moves in a predictable manner, so you need to memorize the timing of the sword and the position of the cape per attack/combo.

It's awesome and I love it :swoon:

Well that is true, but it is unncessary assuming you have a decent amount of health and estus to recover. Which is probably my favorite part of how the fight is design because it lets you fight him on the same turns, tanking through poo poo and relying on your effectively massive health pool (thanks to estus) to survive. Even other big mans fights in the series usually come down to avoiding all their attacks like usual.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Well that is true, but it is unncessary assuming you have a decent amount of health and estus to recover. Which is probably my favorite part of how the fight is design because it lets you fight him on the same turns, tanking through poo poo and relying on your effectively massive health pool (thanks to estus) to survive. Even other big mans fights in the series usually come down to avoiding all their attacks like usual.

Right, gotcha. Yeah, it's a nice bit of extra depth really :3:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I feel the game is trying to tell me something on the fifth machete giant on a single bonfire. It's the wrong kind of hard.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I feel the game is trying to tell me something on the fifth machete giant on a single bonfire. It's the wrong kind of hard.

Plunge attack them.

But yeah, that's kind of a really rough section. After loving up twice on my second character I just ran past everything.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
uuh what

I'm at HP softcap on NG+, his rapid two-hit combos stunlock you and getting caught in one takes off a good 70% of my un-embered life bar. Embering at that point doesn't give you a significant life boost since it adds on less health than a single hit takes off.

In phase two yeah, the cape hits don't do quite as much damage and I'll crack an ember as he's walking towards me because it is a single full heal that I don't have to take from my Estus budget also because it's anime as hell to activate what is effectively your own phase 2 as he does the Slow Anime Walk towards you at the start of his

I don't know if I'm just imagining poo poo but certain boss attacks throughout the whole game series seem to get straight-up cancelled by dodging in precisely the opposite direction to their direction of travel, because I can get incredibly sloppy with the timing provided that the dodge direction is right. Like the dodge window is an entire second or something and you can dodge against the direction of the attack before it's even begun and it passes through you anyway. Whereas if I dodge away from the same attack then the timing has to be really precise in order to iframe through it. I feel like this has a lot to do with why some people think certain fights are trivial and other people think the same fight is drat near impossible.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

RBA Starblade posted:

16/16/40/40 str/dex/int/fth (or whatever the requirements for Onyx Blade are in str/dex) is pretty good for me. Pair that weapon with Flame Fan, it's great, and at max level is only 14 spell buff or so weaker than a pyro flame. Mostly useless in pvp though.

I already have a +5 Onyx Blade, but honestly I prefer the other weapon a lot of.

And I've had success with it in pvp by keeping my fist empty until I get right up on someone, swinging once to get them rolling, then throw a big gently caress off fireball that hits then at the end of the 2nd roll.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Inner Ringed Wall -> Ringed City Streets really needed more shortcuts or bonfires

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
How are the DLC areas for running a Sorcery build? I seem to remember that everything in the DS2 DLC zones had super high resistances or something which made spellcasting impractical. I'm waffling between Sorcery and the good ol' Large Man with Large Weapons, neither of which I did in my previous DS3 runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

uuh what

I'm at HP softcap on NG+, his rapid two-hit combos stunlock you and getting caught in one takes off a good 70% of my un-embered life bar. Embering at that point doesn't give you a significant life boost since it adds on less health than a single hit takes off.

In phase two yeah, the cape hits don't do quite as much damage and I'll crack an ember as he's walking towards me because it is a single full heal that I don't have to take from my Estus budget also because it's anime as hell to activate what is effectively your own phase 2 as he does the Slow Anime Walk towards you at the start of his

I don't know if I'm just imagining poo poo but certain boss attacks throughout the whole game series seem to get straight-up cancelled by dodging in precisely the opposite direction to their direction of travel, because I can get incredibly sloppy with the timing provided that the dodge direction is right. Like the dodge window is an entire second or something and you can dodge against the direction of the attack before it's even begun and it passes through you anyway. Whereas if I dodge away from the same attack then the timing has to be really precise in order to iframe through it. I feel like this has a lot to do with why some people think certain fights are trivial and other people think the same fight is drat near impossible.

I fought him on ng+2 with 40 Vig, Life+2 and Favor+3, embered. With that, getting hit by the cape would do about 1/5, getting hit by most of his swings 1/2, and his bigger swings most of the bar. Obviously the biggest attacks you still want to dodge, and ideally you still want to dodge the smaller attacks as well, but my point is that you can, if you feel like it, tank through some of them instead. Since unlike nearly every other boss in the game you don't get seriously stunned by his attacks or knocked on your rear end, and thus can keep continually attacking, especially if you have a weapon with hyper armor. This is further aided by the fact that he staggers fairly quickly, every four 2handed greatsword r1s by my count, which lets be the one that interrupts.