Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Ideally we should put everyone that posts about GWS/WH/40k/AoS in a separate forum so that they don't pollute the rest of TG any more

make it happen mods

If this means bringing back Eternity of War :getin:

Deino fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

Ideally we should put everyone that posts about GWS/WH/40k/AoS in a separate forum so that they don't pollute the rest of TG any more

make it happen mods

You'd have a forum dedicated to figuring out which broken Netlist you should run in the next X-Wing tournament, and one thread that still can't figure out how to use camo in Infinity. Fun.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ijyt posted:

This is a sad post, you understand that those threads are pillars of this subforum? Without them you don't have much of a subforum left. :(

lmao

nice

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm glad you agree!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ijyt you never answered my question about using my models, don't you want to game? :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ashcans posted:

ijyt you never answered my question about using my models, don't you want to game? :(

I did! If they're current edition legal it's fine!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Maybe all the GW threads can get moved to the literal racial ghetto in D&D that got made for *some reason*

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ijyt posted:

This is a sad post, you understand that those threads are pillars of this subforum? Without them you don't have much of a subforum left. :(
tgd is stronger than those threads, we were prospering before the incursion of warhammer posters, ie the dark times

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I mostly post in the board game and MTG threads anyway so I wouldn't really see any difference whatsoever. :shrug:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

tgd is stronger than those threads, we were prospering before the incursion of warhammer posters, ie the dark times

I'm not sure how that's possible since GW invented games.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ijyt posted:

I did! If they're current edition legal it's fine!

I think you answered Atlas Hugged, not my follow up. What does 'current edition legal' mean? I have a ton of Eldar miniatures made by GW, but many of them have weapons or equipment that either doesn't exist in the modern edition, or isn't legal for them to have. I also have older versions of current models which in modern rules have equipment that isn't reflect at all in their appearance. Am I suppose to rebuy all this stuff or break it all down and remodel it myself because the rules changed? It takes a long time to build a collection like mine, I invested time and effort in GW and I feel like I'm being punished for supporting them so long.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
It's kind of amazing how GW fans are even bad at being bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You see, treating minis units like you would a card game treating cards that go into a deck interchangeably is the same and good because

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I think you answered Atlas Hugged, not my follow up. What does 'current edition legal' mean? I have a ton of Eldar miniatures made by GW, but many of them have weapons or equipment that either doesn't exist in the modern edition, or isn't legal for them to have. I also have older versions of current models which in modern rules have equipment that isn't reflect at all in their appearance. Am I suppose to rebuy all this stuff or break it all down and remodel it myself because the rules changed? It takes a long time to build a collection like mine, I invested time and effort in GW and I feel like I'm being punished for supporting them so long.

You're in luck actually, GW is releasing something that should be very useful to you. You can use the new Citadel Saw set to remove the illegal weapon choices and replace them with new ones from the recent kits.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Chill la Chill posted:

You see, treating minis units like you would a card game treating cards that go into a deck interchangeably is the same and good because

I think you'll find that ACTUALLY collecting miniatures is The Hobby and the games are just window dressing for your perfect collection of muscled ubermench plastic dolls. Maybe show GW some gratitude, geez

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

MikeCrotch posted:

Maybe all the GW threads can get moved to the literal racial ghetto in D&D that got made for *some reason*

They literally asked for a safe space if I remember right

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ijyt posted:

You're in luck actually, GW is releasing something that should be very useful to you. You can use the new Citadel Saw set to remove the illegal weapon choices and replace them with new ones from the recent kits.

Lol come on man you have to be more subtle

In other news I ordered my Fat Yuan Yuan and cannot wait to get my neckbeard tubby merc rolling a crit on some take out chinese

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 30, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

spectralent posted:

In fairness I've never noticed this but maybe it's less of a thing if you play in a non-ham store.

At my non-ham store, the non-hams players don't care what models you bring so long as it is obvious what everything is. A basic scifi trooper with a machine gun should be a basic scifi trooper with a machine gun. But we all play multiple games and there are dozens of units per army in every game so there's no way any of us could ever reasonably memorize everything, so we're already used to going through what every unit is at the start of a game.

The hams players refuse to "mix miniatures" because they are all weirdos.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Lol come on man you have to be more subtle

Conversion is an integral part of the hobby, you need to be committed, or don't expect for decades old models to still be rules legal, they change like laws in real life.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

At my non-ham store, the non-hams players don't care what models you bring so long as it is obvious what everything is. A basic scifi trooper with a machine gun should be a basic scifi trooper with a machine gun. But we all play multiple games and there are dozens of units per army in every game so there's no way any of us could ever reasonably memorize everything, so we're already used to going through what every unit is at the start of a game.

The hams players refuse to "mix miniatures" because they are all weirdos.

It's just a little jarring when there's a table full of mix matched units with some being heroic scale, while others aren't.

My favorite part about warhammer is competitive list building and narrative building. It's hard to have an immersive narrative when there's off brand minis on the table.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
GW stuff isn't even scaled consistently within their own ranges. Who cares if "bulky man in space armor" has a slightly different profile than "other bulky man in space armor". They're 28mm tall.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

GW stuff isn't even scaled consistently within their own ranges. Who cares if "bulky man in space armor" has a slightly different profile than "other bulky man in space armor". They're 28mm tall.

If generic "bulky man in space armor" looks exactly like a space marine you're getting into IP theft territory. Which imo is just a lovely thing to do.

Just buy an actual space marine at that point.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hixson posted:

If generic "bulky man in space armor" looks exactly like a space marine you're getting into IP theft territory. Which imo is just a lovely thing to do.

Just buy an actual space marine at that point.

This is a pretty clever strawman. It's obviously a space warrior in some kind of powered armor, but it does not have the same silhouette as a space marine. It's also cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

I've said before, either you want to play the game or you don't. I have models. I'm willing to play. You scoff at my models. You don't actually want to play. And I can't blame you. I don't have 8 hours to waste on boredom and frustration either.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

lol that's not what 28mm means

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol that's not what 28mm means

OK, 28mm scale, whatever. Please go after the argument and not a misapplication of a term.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't have 8 hours to waste on boredom and frustration either.

Games don't take 8 hours to play. The longest game I've ever played was like 5000 points a side and it was about 5 hours to play, with a long break in the middle for drinking and pizza.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

OK, 28mm scale, whatever. Please go after the argument and not a misapplication of a term.

What argument? Most people I know don't care that much. I regularly play with buffalo chicken who sculpts stuff and makes conversions from all kinds of poo poo. It's a pain to track what's what in those games, but if we aren't playing for serious, I don't care.

Now on the subject of whether we'd game, I'd probably still turn you down because you seem like someone who is deeply unpleasant to game with, regardless of the minis

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Games don't take 8 hours to play. The longest game I've ever played was like 5000 points a side and it was about 5 hours to play, with a long break in the middle for drinking and pizza.

Hyperbole, but not really. People here play Apocalypse and even in the write-ups it comes across a purely miserable experience for everyone involved and I can't figure out why they keep doing it. We can get multiple games of Deadzone or Kings of War in in the same time it takes people to setup and play a few turns of 40k.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if your model does have a skull on it then gently caress you

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Allow me to demonstrate how nonchalant and uncaring I am by typing paragraphs at people for using the term "28mm" incorrectly

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

Now on the subject of whether we'd game, I'd probably still turn you down because you seem like someone who is deeply unpleasant to game with, regardless of the minis

I'll live.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gas this thread

ban all posters

burn the land

boil the sea

you can't take xwangs from me

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'd say the GW cultists will get theirs shortly but we saw with AoS GW can squat all the teams and lore and release the worst game imaginable but sunk costs will always trump reason eventually in some folk.

I'm looking forward to AoS40k though because those early days when we all had ideas of how it might be alright then every piece of real info was worse and bafflingly awful... those were the salad days.

The latest releases are so end times it's incredible, check out the tactics pages for the 40k version of the united elf army and it's like "don't play this because it's too OP" and guilliman buffs your whole army massively.
When people say GW has improved they generally mean they're selling things people want to buy (at huge markup and with monopose CAD models) and putting out Facebook posts. There's actually no evidence they're getting better at writing rules but then again who actually wants to play Warhammer lmao. It's "the hobby" not a game.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Moola PMs me regularly to ask about what 40k models he should buy and what list he should bring. Kind of weird but whatever :hb:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

why have people been poasting poo poo from some gw fan board all night

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

panascope posted:

Moola PMs me regularly to ask about what 40k models he should buy and what list he should bring. Kind of weird but whatever :hb:

:ohdear:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

panascope posted:

hosed up if true,

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lol cultists cultists CULTISTS :supaburn:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

I'd say the GW cultists will get theirs shortly but we saw with AoS GW can squat all the teams and lore and release the worst game imaginable but sunk costs will always trump reason eventually in some folk.

I'm looking forward to AoS40k though because those early days when we all had ideas of how it might be alright then every piece of real info was worse and bafflingly awful... those were the salad days.

The latest releases are so end times it's incredible, check out the tactics pages for the 40k version of the united elf army and it's like "don't play this because it's too OP" and guilliman buffs your whole army massively.
When people say GW has improved they generally mean they're selling things people want to buy (at huge markup and with monopose CAD models) and putting out Facebook posts. There's actually no evidence they're getting better at writing rules but then again who actually wants to play Warhammer lmao. It's "the hobby" not a game.
Some may know that I despise AoS, with the same passion that I adore 40K. GW went completely the wrong way about doing that, there were far better ways.

Sure, getting rules in boxes of models (usually on instruction books) CAN be useful, just look in the N&R forum, where the Tartaros Terminators rules are already being posted. Mainly, though, these should be kept for boxes of units that are totally new releases for the active gaming system. Now, Angels of Death, for example, missed the ticket here, slightly. It could have consolidated ALL the generic C:SM stuff that had been released since the codex, even chapter specific like Shadow Force Solaq, for example. (That might be it, I didn't get any of the Damocles books).

AoS was, in my mind, reasonably priced for what you got. None of the fluff was copy/paste like you get with codexes (if you are familiar with previous editions). Add in the fact that Third Edition cut almost all the fluff out of codexes, you had just the rules, and they were all under £10 each, with sub-faction books around £4 a piece. However, a lot of flavour was missing from third edition, much less available than there is now.

I guess, at the end of the day, it totally depends on your local meta, though. Do you have players there that care more about having the most powerful lists over lists that fit the lore of the faction they are playing, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

panascope posted:

Southpaugh posted:

hosed up if true,

• Locked thread