Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ThinkTank posted:

Lombardi's getting more creative with ways to get out of those long term contracts.

No, he's just looking for ways to cut down on the jersey budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Deltron 3030 posted:

Penguins tanking to try to "catch" the Rangers for 1st Wildcard?

Go-go Gadget ridiculous seeding.

No one in the Atlantic has even clinched yet...

Don't have to try very hard with the lineup we're running currently.

Missing Hagelin, Letang, Malkin, Maatta, Daley, Guentzel, Hainsey. I don't know if there is a team out there that could deal with that and keep winning. For the Hawks that'd be like no Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Panik, Anisimov. Imagine the gongshow that game looks like last night if the Pens are healthy but the Hawks are missing those players. Be pretty much what it was but reversed.

Even if the Pens don't win another game though the Rangers have to go at least like 3-1-1 to overtake them. And as banged up as the Pens are they'll probably find a way to squeak out a win or two more. They're not finishing fourth.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So Calgary lost. Had they won in regulation they'd have clinched. Is that still the case or do they need 2 wins, or....?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Deltron 3030 posted:

Penguins tanking to try to "catch" the Rangers for 1st Wildcard?

Go-go Gadget ridiculous seeding.

No one in the Atlantic has even clinched yet...

Not sure they get there even if they lose out. They really have not much to play for at this point other than round 1 home team advantage and they've never cared about that really. Also their injured players, Malkin and Letang, should get miraculously healed for game 1.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
They play the rangers twice, so there's a chance.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Little Kielbasa posted:

They play the rangers twice, so there's a chance.

*Tanner Glass inserted on the 1st line*

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

*Maf inserted into the goal*

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just turn those two games into an ice dancing competition.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Same but Hank.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Half our team is dead. We're getting Montreal in the first round"

Matt Zerella posted:

"NUH-UH, FIRST WILD CARD IS OURS!"

Ginette Reno posted:

"Oh YEAH?"

Matt Zerella posted:

Same but Hank.

"Come getcha some."

I don't care who the CBJ play as long as they win the series.

My, how expectations change in the course of six months. "Just don't be too awful" to "If you don't get out of the first round, it's a letdown".

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

CBJSprague24 posted:

My, how expectations change in the course of six months. "Just don't be too awful" to "If you don't get out of the first round, it's a letdown".

Caps fans can learn you a thing or two about raising your expectations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I honestly have none for the Rangers so wherever they land they're probably out in the first round.

The only reason I want to face the Habs is the games between them this season were very entertaining.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Personally I'd like the Pens and Jackets to meet in the ECF and the Sharks and Preds play the WCF but that's just me

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So Calgary lost. Had they won in regulation they'd have clinched. Is that still the case or do they need 2 wins, or....?

on my phone, and I was last looking at the standings last night, but Calgary only needs 1 point to be assured of playoffs. Everything after that could affect placement. The only team that can catch them are the Kings - and only if they win each remaining game, and Calgary loses each remaining game in regulation.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well the Crew did the opposite the last two years... Went from MLS Cup runner-up to bottom of the barrel.

Seize the day!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pens also get the CBJ on Tuesday(?), so that could help the tank effort if they really want it.

Deltron 3030 posted:

Well the Crew did the opposite the last two years... Went from MLS Cup runner-up to bottom of the barrel.

Seize the day!

You better believe I'm hoping to get all the good out of this season because :ohdear:.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Pungry posted:

Personally I'd like the Pens and Jackets to meet in the ECF and the Sharks and Preds play the WCF but that's just me

Same but Caps not Pens because if this were the case the Pens would win the cup because every time a first time champ has a chance to be crowned, some boring gently caress old guard team wins instead, except that one time the boring gently caress old guard team was the Devils who got beat by the somehow more boring and old Kings

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Same but Caps not Pens because if this were the case the Pens would win the cup because every time a first time champ has a chance to be crowned, some boring gently caress old guard team wins instead, except that one time the boring gently caress old guard team was the Devils who got beat by the somehow more boring and old Kings

The 2012 Devils were hardly an "old guard" team in the way that the Pens, Hawks and Kings are these days.

quote:

I honestly have none for the Rangers so wherever they land they're probably out in the first round.

This is the correct approach. Even expecting the Caps to lose in the second round — which just about everybody does — is hubris at this point.

Which is not to say that I'm my saving a bonus check for possible conference finals tickets isn't also hubris, I'm just not expecting it to be spent.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 30, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

The 2012 Devils were hardly an "old guard" team in the way that the Pens, Hawks and Kings are these days.

Yes but that doesn't fit my joke or narrative

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spotted on reddit:

Goddamn Avs, at least pretend to try. If you aren't gonna play for the team at least play for yourself, try to put on a show so you have a job next season.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Yes but that doesn't fit my joke or narrative

But when is it ever true? Like... the Canucks in 2011? Do the Lightning count in 2015? I guess if you expand "had a chance to be crowned" to "gets in the playoffs at all" then sure. Doesn't happen in the Cup very often.

Your narrative is dumb. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Spotted on reddit:

Goddamn Avs, at least pretend to try. If you aren't gonna play for the team at least play for yourself, try to put on a show so you have a job next season.

no way :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The video:

https://streamable.com/vlq83

Guess the avs hosed up a breakway shorthanded, 3 on 1 for the avs turned into a 4 on 1 for the caps.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

xzzy posted:

Spotted on reddit:

But which guy scored?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

The video:

https://streamable.com/vlq83

Guess the avs hosed up a breakway shorthanded, 3 on 1 for the avs turned into a 4 on 1 for the caps.

hahahaha this is incredible

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

But when is it ever true? Like... the Canucks in 2011? Do the Lightning count in 2015? I guess if you expand "had a chance to be crowned" to "gets in the playoffs at all" then sure. Doesn't happen in the Cup very often.

Your narrative is dumb. :colbert:

Literally last year

e: 2015, both ECF teams haven't won in 13 and 22 years respectively but it was the Hawks, again
2014, both ECF teams haven't won since goddamn Clinton was freshly in office, it was the Kings, again

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 30, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe the East should stop letting teams who can't win like New York, New Jersey and Tampa Bay get to the finals then.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Flames need just 2 points. Kings max out at 91 points but win the tiebreaker vs. Calgary, necessitating the need for the 2nd point.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Interestingly, Colorado is the only franchise that is undefeated in Stanley Cup Finals (besides teams that of course, haven't made a final).

Even if they stole 2001.

e: although if you count their franchise history in the WHA they have a finals loss there, as do all the WHA finalists.

There are plenty of teams that have won it in their first appearance: Flyers, Islanders, Devils, Penguins, Avalanche, Tampa.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 30, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I just realized that the Bruins will have to play Washington in round 1 if things stay as is which, like...you might as well not even make the playoffs if that's the case.

edit: but on the plus side I could maybe go to a game for more money than I'd like spend

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I just realized that the Bruins will have to play Washington in round 1 if things stay as is which, like...you might as well not even make the playoffs if that's the case.

edit: but on the plus side I could maybe go to a game for more money than I'd like spend

Yeah that would still go to seven games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah quick reminder that even last year's trash Flyers team somehow managed to take Washington to 6 games

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
As long as Rask was pretty good I think Boston could give them a long series.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

But which guy scored?

they all did

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe the East should stop letting teams who can't win like New York, New Jersey and Tampa Bay get to the finals then.

*willfully ignores 2013*

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

*willfully ignores 2013*

That one doesn't count because Chicago cheated.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

That one doesn't count because Chicago cheated.

Sure.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Advanced stats say the Bruins are an excellent team who have received some poo poo goaltending and poor shooting luck. I wouldn't be down on their chances, and in fact as a Caps fan I'd rather the Caps play any of the other potential WC2 teams before Boston, including Tampa Bay. I'd count on Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Oshie to be effective against most teams except Boston whose first line is probably the best in the NHL and could realistically shut them down.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 30, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's more because I like the Bruins and the Capitals and whenever they play each other it's not fun. You'd think it would be because one of my teams is guaranteed to advance, but no.

Also I probably like the Bruins slightly more (like a 55/45 split) and they usually lose to the Caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rask had a below average save percentage but top 10 GAA for most of 2017.

(That's bad.)

• Locked thread