Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Would it actually be illegal to fake the tracker? It's not official company accounting records or anything, I don't think it would be any more illegal than faking a hit counter on your website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Oh, no, Lieutenant Dan!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TrustmeImLegit posted:

15k is the largest lump sum they can conceivably (the completionist) add to the tracker without getting backers suspicious.

It would be insanely illegal to outright fake this. More likely it reflects loans, investors, or other revenue as that has a lot more wiggle room.

Its also important to remember there are large numbers of gullible retards involved at every level of this.

I quite literally work every single day with people who do this exact sort of thing. They move money around between companies, have companies under one umbrella pay each other for "consultations" and poo poo I could go on about for hours. One guy calls it "creative accounting." Basically it's one thing for a citizen to say a company is "faking" something. But when that poo poo starts getting investigated, the first thing slimy lawyers do is hold up every part of the investigation until the word "fake" can be defined in relation to the case.

"Were digital goods ordered?"
- Yes
"Were the goods delivered to the purchasing account?"
- Yes
"So what's the problem again?"
- Well they paid themselves - they bought their own goods.
"Yes, but since the cash and the goods were both the company's property, it was well within their rights to track it as a purchase if they chose."
- Yes but they're showing that transaction in the funding tracker so that people will think the company is healthier than it is
"Yes, but your accusation was that the tracker was "fake", and I think we see here that it is anything but fake, I move to dismiss"
etc. etc.

This poo poo happens all day every day.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Exinos posted:

Stop spreading FUD! Thanks to Croberts and the magic of fidelity mining will be as exciting the 8 millionth time you do it as it was the first time!

You can tell this is guaranteed by looking how immersive the current modules are and how player retention is so high.

It would only be bad if CIG had to do something like lower the minimum player count on their new shooter mode to something embarrassingly low, around 6 maybe, in hopes of getting enough people to launch a match.

You clearly don't watch every episode of AtV. They are going to start by making mining boring as gently caress (like ED, right?). Then over a period of years, "layer in the fidelity". By 2030 that poo poo will be dope. Mining all day every day. Mining so good you'll wanna SLAP YA MOMMA!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It would be insanely illegal to outright fake this.

I don't see how it could be in any way illegal, there's no investment involved, also the change in the TOS shows a clear intention to never show anyone the books.

When I say faked they could be showing anything on that graph, I've never seen what it represents exactly defined by CIG. Some idiot who used to work in a school said it didn't show subscriptions but he might have been wrong, no idea.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If bought a bunch of poo poo from myself and told investors that was profit the SEC would be very eager to go over this with me.

They use it in advertising (X funds raised!). If its an outright fabrication its false advertisement. I know they can fudge it to make it okay that's why I specified completely made up.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Here is everything you need to get up to speed with W40k:

In the grim darkness of the future there is only war. War waged by testtube babies in metal diapers on behalf of a corpse whose ghost may or may not be powering interstellar travel. Sometimes they fight the evil testtube babies in spooky metal diapers who wage war against the corpse. Sometimes they fight space elves who destroyed their civilisation with interdimensional aids. Sometimes they fight the Xenomorph from Alien. The most interesting times are when they fight high-functioning mushrooms. The least interesting times are when they fight the Terminator from Terminator Salvation. But most importantly, they are always fighting someone and it's always going poorly because this is literally where the term grimdark comes from.

You forgot the part where they fight anime made manifest.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TrustmeImLegit posted:

If bought a bunch of poo poo from myself and told investors that was profit the SEC would be very eager to go over this with me.

They use it in advertising (X funds raised!). If its an outright fabrication its false advertisement. I know they can fudge it to make it okay that's why I specified completely made up.

Yeah you could argue false advertising and then they'll give you your money back, however until somebody gets to look at the books you don't know for sure what the tracker represents.

It's like them talking about 1.7 million using the words Citizens/Backers/Players interchangeably, when Turbulent revealed in an interview the actual number of humans involved in all that is about 500k.

Once people figure all this out there'll be no money left anyway.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hopper posted:

Yeah that's the gist of it and it sounds like 40k is horribly monotonous and exaggerated and bad. Hence why I would like to read something that kinda gives me an overview so I can judge whether it really is that bad or whether there is actually some sense behind what looks to be a violence-fanatic's wet dream...

https://www.amazon.com/Let-Galaxy-Burn-Warhammer-Novels/dp/1844163423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490883136&sr=8-1&keywords=let+the+galaxy+burn

This is a pretty good collection of short stories.

There's one in there from the perspective of some random imperial guardsman of a tyranid invasion that's very good.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/62e2zq/is_subsumption_in_essence_an_artificial_god/

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Holy poo poo lmao. I hope someone at CIG is watching reddit and sounding the alarm. They need to release something quick before the psychosis over there gets stronger.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beet Wagon posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. I hope someone at CIG is watching reddit and sounding the alarm. They need to release something quick before the psychosis over there gets stronger.

Nah, it makes perfect sense. No human being can possibly finish Star Citizen with all the promised features, but what about a perfect immortal machine? Full AI control of the pipelines is clearly the way forward.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
And God can't fail. He can only be failed.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Honestly, I bet I could write an AI that makes better decisions than Chris Roberts. Allow it to reply to written questions that need a yes or a no, analyze the requests for certain keywords and similarity to past requests and generate a weighted random chance to say yes or no (anything with the word 'fidelity' in it gets an automatic no). Should result in a half-decent spread of good to bad decisions.

I'm not saying that would be a good way to make decisions, mind you, but I figure it'd still be a step up.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

It's not publicly traded, so SEC rules don't apply. There are no "investors" in the sense of stakeholders. UK GAAP applies in some areas for some of the subs, but CIG is not purchasing from themselves and claiming false profit. Plus, that tracker is not accurate.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Wiz posted:

Nah, it makes perfect sense. No human being can possibly finish Star Citizen with all the promised features, but what about a perfect immortal machine? Full AI control of the pipelines is clearly the way forward.

They replaced all the coder's with AI.
It all makes sense now :ohdear:

Think about obsidians Radiant AI, that is in charge of coding

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Wiz posted:

Honestly, I bet I could write an AI that makes better decisions than Chris Roberts. Allow it to reply to written questions that need a yes or a no, analyze the requests for certain keywords and similarity to past requests and generate a weighted random chance to say yes or no (anything with the word 'fidelity' in it gets an automatic no). Should result in a half-decent spread of good to bad decisions.

I'm not saying that would be a good way to make decisions, mind you, but I figure it'd still be a step up.

If it just said No to 1 out of every 5 suggestions it would already be better at producing a game than chris.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's not publicly traded, so SEC rules don't apply. There are no "investors" in the sense of stakeholders. UK GAAP applies in some areas for some of the subs, but CIG is not purchasing from themselves and claiming false profit. Plus, that tracker is not accurate.

I know, was just using an example.

Tell us about the tracker.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I know, was just using an example.

Tell us about the tracker.

I know what you know.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I have several degrees and knowledge of many esoteric subjects.

Statistically, I'm almost always the smartest guy in the room.

These are tall shoes to fill.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Like did you know only 74% of males in asia can actually achieve vaginal penetration?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

cheapskate should just buy the ships imo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wiz posted:

big nipples big life posted:

If it just said No to 1 out of every 5 suggestions it would already be better at producing a game than chris.

I think just being able to say "No" at all is a huge step up, regardless of how it determines when to do it.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

ManofManyAliases posted:

While SEC rules do not apply, a number of various state and Federal agencies can go after businesses for deceptive trade practices. If Croberts is juicing the numbers with the intent to calm backers and reel in more whales, then I could see some consumer protection agency going after them. Case in point: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/02/01/dronemaker-lily-robotics.html

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Like did you know only 74% of males in asia can actually achieve vaginal penetration?

Much like shitizens. If the proportions were reversed.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Dark Off posted:

They replaced all the coder's with AI.
It all makes sense now :ohdear:

Think about obsidians Radiant AI, that is in charge of coding

To be fair even Radiant AI would struggle with constant chris refactoring.
Just think about a Ai coding subsumption when it suddenly gets order to code in trading support to said subsumption.
So end result will be tradesimption.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beet Wagon posted:

I think just being able to say "No" at all is a huge step up, regardless of how it determines when to do it.

Nah, I bet Roberts says 'no' all the time, it's just when the question is something along the lines of 'Could we maybe downscope a feature (any feature) to meet our insanely optimistic deadlines?'

(The AI would also be programmed to almost always say yes to downscoping... anything, really.)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dark Off posted:

To be fair even Radiant AI would struggle with constant chris refactoring.
Just think about a Ai coding subsumption when it suddenly gets order to code in trading support to said subsumption.
So end result will be tradesimption.

The AI rebellion starts with one too many changes to the sleeve design of space hoodie #12.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

WebDog posted:

Wasn't the theory floated that they're just pushing their own money into the meter?

Yes, I came up with that theory months back when everyone assumed I was just off my meds again. :grin:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Patch notes for 2.6.2d:

Star Systems:
Port Olisar, Crusader
  • Fixed an issue where players could break collision in Port Olisar.

Game Systems:
Star Marine
  • Fixed an issue where performance would drop should players enter EVA in a Star Marine match.
  • Fixed an issue where players could Quantum Travel in Star Marine.
  • Fixed an issue where pieces of debris were floating in the wrong areas Echo Eleven.
  • Fixed an issue where weapon fire audio while in space were not properly muffled.

Ships:
General
  • Fixed an issue with the BEHR MSD-313 missile racks missing their textures.
Hornet Series
  • Fixed an issue with the Hornet series of ships where sound effects would trigger in the wrong place.
Caterpillar
  • Fixed an issue where aiming down sight in the Caterpillar’s cockpit would push players out of the ship.
Retaliator
  • Fixed an issue with the Retaliator where one of the hatches did not have sound.

Technical:
  • Fixed a number of client crashes.
  • Fixed a number of server crashes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

BOOKMARKED!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Better release this baby by tomorrow...or TheAgent will be right. :ohdear:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
CONTROVERSIAL STAR CITIZEN ARTICLES REMOVED FROM THE ESCAPIST

This made me holler with laughter.

quote:

One of the backers who notified One Angry Gamer about the removal of the pieces explained that they were informed by CIG/RSI staff that the crowd-funds that were gathered for the game would not be used in any legal battles, either to protect the brand integrity of Star Citizen or to limit damaging material aimed at the project.

The backers of the game apparently expressed that they would “not tolerate” backer funds being used for CIG/RSI to fight legal battles on behalf of protecting Star Citizen.

They have NO financial accountability for HOW the money is spent. no worries though, it's not spent on legal bills. CIG said so. This is why they are getting fleeced. CIG has $0 income outside of Star Citizen. Even Ortwin gets PAID for his time. sheesh

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

MinorInconvenience posted:

While SEC rules do not apply, a number of various state and Federal agencies can go after businesses for deceptive trade practices. If Croberts is juicing the numbers with the intent to calm backers and reel in more whales, then I could see some consumer protection agency going after them. Case in point: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2017/02/01/dronemaker-lily-robotics.html

I don't disagree that there are agencies that could go after CIG. But why haven't they?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Mangoose posted:

Much like shitizens. If the proportions were reversed.

Oh, they are being screwed alright.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

BOOKMARKED!!

ZOMG NO!!!!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is there any actual proof that there was any legal action involved in the articles and :siren: THE JULY CROBERTS BLOG :siren: being taken down? Like lawsuit filings or anything or is it just being assumed?

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Iceclaw posted:

Oh, they are being screwed alright.

But it's not vaginal... :smug:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

boviscopophobic posted:

Game Systems:
Star Marine
  • Fixed an issue where players could Quantum Travel in Star Marine.

Huh. It seems players were the ship even in the game mode that doesn't allow ships.

God these patch notes are pathetic. I can't believe dripping poo poo like this makes people think that progress is being made.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

big nipples big life posted:

Is there any actual proof that there was any legal action involved in the articles and :siren: THE JULY CROBERTS BLOG :siren: being taken down? Like lawsuit filings or anything or is it just being assumed?

Lol, did you really ask that?