Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nickoten posted:

Seriously, I don't get why people are still surprised/outraged that video game consoles are hard to find at launch. There always conspiracy theories that Sony or Nintendo are hatching some nefarious scheme to make us want their consoles more, but no one ever seems to entertain the idea that maybe estimating demand and securing supply for a new product might be difficult. :shrug:

I distinctly remember a story back when the PS2 had first come out in Japan that the demand was so high that Sony had to resort to insane alternative measures just to get units out, like this elderly couple that assembled some of them in their garage and shipped them back to Sony to sell. Kind of makes me wonder if Nintendo ever does weird stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I doubt Nintendo would settle for anything less than their established pipeline for getting supply out.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

Just make sure to delete the ROM within 24 hours!

And if you're a cop, you can't even enter the web site because there's a disclaimer saying so.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Previously Recorded guys posted their BotW review, if anyone's interested. Sorry if this is a repost, but I figured we'd all seen enough opinions on emulation to shift topics.

https://youtu.be/50LgwCJf4Ek

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm gonna hack Android onto my Switch and download Dolphin for Android, then use an external DVD drive to play legit Wii games

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any idea what comes out today on the store in a hour?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I just broke my favorite zelda sword what do I do??

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rirse posted:

Only Has-been heroes in the US I think

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I just broke my favorite zelda sword what do I do??

Use a stick.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Hamster needs to be dropping 3-5 games per week. My Neo Geo machine hungers.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Takoluka posted:

Emulation of a system that has been out for less than a month is pretty lovely, primarily because people aren't doing it for any reason other than to stick it to Nintendo somehow. Like, based on what I see online, there are people who want to spend literally hundreds of hours playing Nintendo exclusives while jacking themselves off to the thought that they didn't pay for any of them out of spite. Emulation of a system in 2017 is way less about randoms learning system infrastructure for homebrew and more about trying to get in on fandom discussion about how Breath of the Wild is just okay and not reeeeally worth $60 that they totally spent. Emulation as a concept is not a bad thing, but emulation as an execution is a piracy gateway for the extreme majority of people. When someone says they have an emulator, they're not saying "I have a PC program that simulates a system." They're saying "I downloaded Wind Waker and modded it with Dolphin, so I don't have to buy the HD one."

There isn't a Switch emulator, WTF are you on about?

And GC Windwaker on Dolphin is inferior to the Wii U release. However, many emulators these days either exceed what hardware can do, or in the case of stuff like BSNES, replicate it perfectly. If you want a game, buy it. If it came out before you were born and no retail market exists, pirate it. How loving hard is that?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

people who are super anti-piracy are weirdos

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

If emulating on pc is posible why doesn't nintendo just do that themselves? Best way to combat piracy is to make going legit more convenient.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Avalerion posted:

If emulating on pc is posible why doesn't nintendo just do that themselves? Best way to combat piracy is to make going legit more convinient.
Even with Steam/DirectX/OpenGl etc developing on the PC is going to take more compared to a console box. Also hardware sales.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There won't be a Switch emulator for quite some time. The Wii U emulator is very advanced because the Wii / GC / Wii U family is fairly closely related. Switch is a different beast so it'll be different.

Torrenting games to play without paying is uncool, but it is important that emulators are produced to make sure that games are archived. Abandonware is kinda a grey area. Sometimes I think it's OK as it's victimless, sometimes I feel like people try to take advantage of the greyness.

What happened with early cinema (Lost Films) was a tragedy. Something like 80% of of pre WWII films are lost. In the age of digital storage and emulation this shouldn't be allowed to happen. I've posted a couple times in this thread about modified emulations of Zelda titles - it's a fascinating topic.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

There isn't a Switch emulator, WTF are you on about?

I was addressing the entire idea of a Switch emulator. I know Cemu makes a Wii U emulator, but you know, people had literally years to buy one (and can still in a lot of ways!), so I think my argument still stands.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

StabMasterArson posted:

And generally pirates.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Rirse posted:

All We're getting is Metal Slug 1, since we already got Has Been Heroes & Snake Pass on Tuesday.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did anyone actually get HBH? Reviews have been pretty bad and nobody seems to be talking about it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

My fav is when people are super anti-piracy even for out of print games and act like buying a copy used isn't the exact same thing as piracy at that point.

well why not posted:

There won't be a Switch emulator for quite some time. The Wii U emulator is very advanced because the Wii / GC / Wii U family is fairly closely related. Switch is a different beast so it'll be different.

It's different, but it's also really normal off the shelf stuff this time around. Even if emulators are way off, it wouldn't surprise me to see "cracked" games modified and repackaged to run on non-Nintendo hardware.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Takoluka posted:

Emulation of a system that has been out for less than a month is pretty lovely, primarily because people aren't doing it for any reason other than to stick it to Nintendo somehow. Like, based on what I see online, there are people who want to spend literally hundreds of hours playing Nintendo exclusives while jacking themselves off to the thought that they didn't pay for any of them out of spite. Emulation of a system in 2017 is way less about randoms learning system infrastructure for homebrew and more about trying to get in on fandom discussion about how Breath of the Wild is just okay and not reeeeally worth $60 that they totally spent. Emulation as a concept is not a bad thing, but emulation as an execution is a piracy gateway for the extreme majority of people. When someone says they have an emulator, they're not saying "I have a PC program that simulates a system." They're saying "I downloaded Wind Waker and modded it with Dolphin, so I don't have to buy the HD one."

The Nintendo Masturbation System

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

My fav is when people are super anti-piracy even for out of print games and act like buying a copy used isn't the exact same thing as piracy at that point.

gotta be invested in my $600 copy of Hagane where the money went to a reseller or else what was it all for?! (nothing)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

GameStop deserves $80 for Xenoblade Chronicles!!!!!

bef posted:

The Nintendo Masturbation System

R.U.B.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Takoluka posted:

I was addressing the entire idea of a Switch emulator. I know Cemu makes a Wii U emulator, but you know, people had literally years to buy one (and can still in a lot of ways!), so I think my argument still stands.

No it doesn't. You may as well argue that archival of any type is wrong. I have a Wii U. I have a Switch. I look forward to playing Breath of the Wild on my PC in 4k at 60fps or whatever cemu supports. I paid for it, it's mine. If I can't pay for it, I'll copy it from someone else.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

It's different, but it's also really normal off the shelf stuff this time around. Even if emulators are way off, it wouldn't surprise me to see "cracked" games modified and repackaged to run on non-Nintendo hardware.

Pirating something like Mother 3 that you can't get anywhere else, go for it.

Pirating something like Super Mario World where you can get it in 5 minutes on pretty much any platform, come on.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No it doesn't. You may as well argue that archival of any type is wrong. I have a Wii U. I have a Switch. I look forward to playing Breath of the Wild on my PC in 4k at 60fps or whatever cemu supports. I paid for it, it's mine. If I can't pay for it, I'll copy it from someone else.

"Archiving a thing" and "archiving and distributing a thing for free when it is still actively, readily, and easily available for sale from its original distributor" are not the same thing.

You are right, though. People deserve to be entertained, regardless of the means. If you can't afford something, you can just make a copy from someone that did.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Nephzinho posted:

Did anyone actually get HBH? Reviews have been pretty bad and nobody seems to be talking about it.

Apparently it relies extremely on RNG so and difficulty spikes pretty frequently? That's what Ive come to understand anyhow.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

are you advocating for companies to make money on products they create

lmao way to stick up for the faceless trillion dollar corporation

Well yea, but companies have to be creative and competitive. The effects of piracy on the gaming industry's bottom line has been completely mitigated by competitive pricing, ease of access, reliability, DLC, online play, loyalty services, help & support — they make their products attractive to people who just want a game without the hassle, and also have the best experience with it. Attempting to convince pirates that what they do is some kind of ethical dilemma will only result in laughs over this 18 year-old debate

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rirse posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518750&pagenumber=574#post470854397

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There's "super anti piracy" and there's "acknowledging that pirating something that is still available at retail is stealing business from the creators". You can just pirate poo poo, you don't need to jump through hoops to prove that actually it's good to pirate and the people who don't are the real problem.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i think you are all mistaken thread, rare's pirate game is coming on xbone not switch

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Nephzinho posted:

Pirating something like Mother 3 that you can't get anywhere else, go for it.

Pirating something like Super Mario World where you can get it in 5 minutes on pretty much any platform, come on.

Yeah you should buy the exact same game 150 times because reasons.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm ready for Mario Kart. Does anyone want to play Mario Kart next Month?

Your rooftop or mine?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think SMW on VC is a different product SNES version which came out in 1990.

It's an interesting question - if I buy say, some headphones and the company releases a new, but very similar, pair, do I receive an additional set in the mail? Absolutely not. I think VC prices for NES/SNES titles are stupidly high, but I don't think I'm entitled to a free VC version because I owned SMB3 as a kid.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No, see you can't watch Pirates of the Caribbean on your Switch yet because Netflix has yet to launch.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Bombadilillo posted:

What a convenient (for you) stance to take. "It doesn't hurt them and they don't care" Very convenient.

people will pirate, its a given. you can take a few different stances, the major ones being: deep sales and discounts and competitive pricing. this one is obviously what steam does and sony as well and it tempts would be pirates into buying in instead through ease of use and lower prices after release. the other big one is instead to hold the value of your games up instead, which means you will make more revenue per individual sale but will naturally push away more people than deep discounts. this one is what nintendo does and it also does really well.

its just a different strategy, neither is better or worse as both seem to work. and its not not caring or whatever else, its just recognition that people will pirate stuff. you can either combat that by making things cheaper, as the main reason people pirate IS economical, or by keeping your product's value higher to offset it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
and i mean really the real revenue loss in console games is used games anyway. console based piracy is barely a drop in the bucket in comparison to used sales, but i dont think anyone here would defend or be pro the ridiculous DRM schemes that would stop that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Stux posted:

people will pirate, its a given. you can take a few different stances, the major ones being: deep sales and discounts and competitive pricing. this one is obviously what steam does and sony as well and it tempts would be pirates into buying in instead through ease of use and lower prices after release. the other big one is instead to hold the value of your games up instead, which means you will make more revenue per individual sale but will naturally push away more people than deep discounts. this one is what nintendo does and it also does really well.

its just a different strategy, neither is better or worse as both seem to work. and its not not caring or whatever else, its just recognition that people will pirate stuff. you can either combat that by making things cheaper, as the main reason people pirate IS economical, or by keeping your product's value higher to offset it.

The convenient part is you saying "If they don't use this strategy I guess they don't care about it, and if they don't care..."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

My suggestion to all the people in the Switch thread screaming about the lack of One Piece Pirate Warriors on the Switch is to try the demo for Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 that's currently on the JP eshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Pirate if you want to but stop loving justifying it and just do it, pussies.

• Locked thread