Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Now spellbladers not named Celes or Steiner can hit that vaunted earth weakness shared by all of a whopping zero bosses!

so far in GL six out eight torment bosses are weak to earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the soulfires don't count, you don't have to kill them!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is there IV event coming anytime soon? Got Golbez BSB and Edge SSB, also I used a Rosa RW with her BSB and I want the Holy Ray Bow.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

KnoxZone posted:

Tyro was there for breakdowns/wall (I actually changed my party slightly from that screen so he was using steal power + fb dance to not trigger counter ultima).
Ramza was my best haste option despite the fact all my damage was magical. I had him using wrath when not breaking so he could counter any slows with another shout or pop tailwind for an emergency heal.
Hope was just healing (and the occasional protectga) while building up gauge for his OSB. Outside of Radiant Shield he was my only damage source. With faith + deployment tactics he was doing about 50k a pop.
Relm and Y'shtola did healer things (plus the occasional faith or shellga buff). Y'shtola had Mako Might so she could get her BSB off right after the opening Ultimas, while Relm's BSB provided the super critical last stand buff.

Biggest worries were right at the start since I didn't have hastega up until turn 3 and all of phase 2 when his damage output got really high. The random slows through slow resist accessories also had the potential to ruin a run. The end was actually the easiest part thanks to Relm BSB. He always targets the highest HP character with his 99,999 attack so it wasn't hard to make sure he was hitting the people I wanted him to hit, while having instant curaja commands allowed me to get them back up quick.

Cool, I can run something similar. No Tyro Wall though, so I'll have to rely on Y'shtola to do double duty. I guess I'll have to play with my different OSBs and see what works best. Thanks for the insight.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there IV event coming anytime soon? Got Golbez BSB and Edge SSB, also I used a Rosa RW with her BSB and I want the Holy Ray Bow.

The After Years in about 2 months. Rosa's BSB doesn't make a reappearance in either this event for the following FFIV event (Edge and Rubicante) but she does get a USB during Extreme Fest which reappears in the Edge event.

If it's an FF4 Medica you're after, Ceodore has a 40% Medica attached to his depressingly good Holy BSB, with a 25% ST heal attached to a single target command and ST Esuna to an AoE command. Banner also features Kain OSB and BSB, and Yang BSB which is actually good for DPS.

Banner 2 is Palom/Porom/Edge with P.Cecil OSB. It has Porom's BSB Medica with a MAG/MND boost like Yuna, which also means it's Cura level like Yuna. It trades the Curaja other White Mage Bursts normally get with Curaise, which is nice for multiplayer, but a little disappointing for regular use. Palom's BSB is also okay for DPS if you're hitting an imperil/weakness.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 30, 2017

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

As someone with 4 soul breaks for Rosa, proshellga, holy ray, her unique raise/heal, and the artemis bow break she is really good for a lot of fights since she can mog might proshellga then curaja/wrath spam her way into holy ray then sustain through most fights while building gauge to use her other utility breaks. This opens up ability slots for herself and other characters since she can handle basic mitigation and quickly get burst mode to take care of party heals. She also can help attack on easy fights with her bows.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
What I did with the Anniversary Banners was this: I made a list of all 10 items on each banner and gave them a score. 3 points if it was a Top Prize that I really wanted, 2 points if it would be helpful but not game-changing, 1 point if I didn't care about pulling it or not (ie: only useful for the +10 stats), and -1 point if it was a dupe. Therefore, each of the 5 banners had a score between 30 and -10. I had enough mythril to allocate 7 pulls across these 5 banners, so I decided to pull once on each, since the lowest scoring banner for me was still a 13, then the top two scoring banners (1 and 3 with a score of 19 each, including no dupes on either) got 2 pulls each. I reassessed the score after the first pull to see if it dropped low enough to forget the second pull.

I prepared for my 2 pulls on Banner 3, hoping for Raines BSB like everyone else.

Results:
Sabin's Armlet
Howling Soul
2x Magical Brush
Fire Lash
Apocalypse
Gilgamesh's Naginata

I'm happy with all of them except for Noel's, which was the only 1-point item that I got. A pretty amazing set of pulls.

I'm keeping track of everything I pulled during this fest going back to the 3 lucky draws. Even if I get nothing but dupes on Banners 4 and 5, this will already be the most successful few weeks since I started playing this game. I have so much going on that I don't know what to do with it all!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How do I get Tyro and Cloud's MCII?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How do I get Tyro and Cloud's MCII?
Because the distinction matters, do you mean their second-level Memory Crystals, or their second-level Record Materia? The former are straightforward to get; you'll just need to get blank MC2s from the +++ level of an event or something else that drops them. If it's the former, well...those are a bit more involved.

Edit: Just about every RM will say how you can get it in the library, but that doesn't mean that doing so isn't a bit onerous. Cloud can get his, SOLDIER Counter, by getting SOLDIER Strike (reach level 50 and use his MC1) and then winning the battle with Jenova BIRTH in the elite Cargo Ship (FF7) dungeon with him alive and in the party at the end. (There are a few RMs like this, but thankfully the practice has been phased out.) Tyro's RM2, Attunement II, is instead one of the random ones. You'd have to get his RM1, Attunement I, by reaching level 50 and using his MC1 as normal. At that point, every battle you took him in there would be a random chance of Attunement II dropping as a reward. It might appear immediately...or it might take a long while.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 30, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Uncle Ulty posted:

What I did with the Anniversary Banners was this: I made a list of all 10 items on each banner and gave them a score. 3 points if it was a Top Prize that I really wanted, 2 points if it would be helpful but not game-changing, 1 point if I didn't care about pulling it or not (ie: only useful for the +10 stats), and -1 point if it was a dupe. Therefore, each of the 5 banners had a score between 30 and -10. I had enough mythril to allocate 7 pulls across these 5 banners, so I decided to pull once on each, since the lowest scoring banner for me was still a 13, then the top two scoring banners (1 and 3 with a score of 19 each, including no dupes on either) got 2 pulls each. I reassessed the score after the first pull to see if it dropped low enough to forget the second pull.

I prepared for my 2 pulls on Banner 3, hoping for Raines BSB like everyone else.

Results:
Sabin's Armlet
Howling Soul
2x Magical Brush
Fire Lash
Apocalypse
Gilgamesh's Naginata

I'm happy with all of them except for Noel's, which was the only 1-point item that I got. A pretty amazing set of pulls.

I'm keeping track of everything I pulled during this fest going back to the 3 lucky draws. Even if I get nothing but dupes on Banners 4 and 5, this will already be the most successful few weeks since I started playing this game. I have so much going on that I don't know what to do with it all!

That's an interesting system. I think it's generally how I've decided my pulls, but with a tangible math component involved. +/- a pull based on rage.

I still really bittersweet about Banner 3. It was definitely my most hyped one, got everything I really wanted except for Raines and to a lesser extent Firelash and Apocalypse. Too many dupes now to justify another pull though. I'll have to wait for either FFXIII or extreme fest for my next shot. That's 300 total Myrthil I've invested trying to get his stupid Claws since January.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just want Dr Mogs teaching and Mako might. That needs the second uncap yeah? I thought I saw someone say their second uncap crystals were available some way other than generic ones.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I'm blanking - does "small boost to dark" from multiple pieces of gear (bracer, claws) stack?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

2 SPOOKY posted:

I'm blanking - does "small boost to dark" from multiple pieces of gear (bracer, claws) stack?

Yes, I don't know if it's additive or multiplicative though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

iPodschun posted:

If you're okay with going the easy route and just throwing things into the Raines grinder:
Kuja, Memento Mori+Protectga or Shellga, BSB, Ace Striker (or +Mag RM)
Golbez, whatever skills, BSB, Battleforged (or +Mag RM)
Krile, honed Chain spells, Sheepsong, Dr. Mog's Teachings
Tyro, Full Break+Breakdown or dances for AoE, Sentinel Grimoire, Mako Might
Y'shtola, Wrath+Curaja, BSB, Gathering Might/Lionheart/Knight's Charge (or whatever your healer RM of choice is)

First turn is Raines RW + Sheepsong + wall. If the boss doesn't die before Raines wears off, then you can use Kuja and Golbez's BSBs since they should be up after spamming Raines command 1.

You could also use Papalymo as one of the Raines mules since his BSB is really good and he can carry Pro/Shellga but I figure you want to use Kuja+Golbez for the dark synergy.

I'm gonna do this with Kuja, Golbez, Serah (stacks with memento mori, Cid mule) tyro, vanille.

Is it better to make one of the dark mages also the cid mule before they get their bsb up?

2 SPOOKY posted:

Yes each one is 20% and they add up to 40%.

A good way to think about if a synergy weapon or elemental boost weapon is better - the elemental boost is usually worth roughly 40 attack

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 30, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A good way to think about if a synergy weapon or elemental boost weapon is better - the elemental boost is usually worth roughly 40 attack

The better rule of thumb is +40 magic or +50 attack, as long as you end up below soft cap. If you're going past soft cap, the +damage is almost always better.

Sprite141 posted:

Yes, I don't know if it's additive or multiplicative though.

Elemental damage from weapons, armor, (accessories, if there were any that gave elemental damage), and enElement all stack additively.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I made a Memento Mori in preparation for the upcoming potential Golbez pain train and have been using it with Emperor.

Jesus Christ that ability hits like a truck, I'm getting ~7500 when no weakness is involved and the second hit with boosted mag is 9999 most of the time. Emperor's super with the boosted mag hits way, way harder too.

Interestingly the melee equivalent Death Throes seems way weaker.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I made a Memento Mori in preparation for the upcoming potential Golbez pain train and have been using it with Emperor.

Don't use Memento Mori with Golbez's BSB. The BSB already boosts magic, which makes Memento Mori redundant.

It's fantastic with other dark mages though

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

U-DO Burger posted:

Don't use Memento Mori with Golbez's BSB. The BSB already boosts magic, which makes Memento Mori redundant.

It's fantastic with other dark mages though

Will have to keep that in mind, thanks. Though still need something to use before the BSB, what would he be good with?

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

The Banner 3 pull I budgeted was a clear bust (Noel's Sword, Laguna's Gun and Dupe Sabin's Armlet twice), and the only thing worthy of note out of my previous Fest pulls was Maria's Burst...

I can pull at least three flavors of Mage Meta...

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm gonna do this with Kuja, Golbez, Serah (stacks with memento mori, Cid mule) tyro, vanille.

Is it better to make one of the dark mages also the cid mule before they get their bsb up?
It should work either way but I went with the damage dealing mages so that they'd have gauge for when Raines runs out. Having Serah use Raines would mean that she'd have meter for a second SSB faster though; I use OK BSB for my hastega+faithga so I could Wrath for more meter which is cheating compared to Serah, Krile, and Papalymo.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Will have to keep that in mind, thanks. Though still need something to use before the BSB, what would he be good with?

Draw Fire or Gaia Cross, give him Lionheart RM, and then just whatever damaging black magic is appropriate for the boss at hand.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

pichupal posted:

The After Years in about 2 months. Rosa's BSB doesn't make a reappearance in either this event for the following FFIV event (Edge and Rubicante) but she does get a USB during Extreme Fest which reappears in the Edge event.

If it's an FF4 Medica you're after, Ceodore has a 40% Medica attached to his depressingly good Holy BSB, with a 25% ST heal attached to a single target command and ST Esuna to an AoE command. Banner also features Kain OSB and BSB, and Yang BSB which is actually good for DPS.

Banner 2 is Palom/Porom/Edge with P.Cecil OSB. It has Porom's BSB Medica with a MAG/MND boost like Yuna, which also means it's Cura level like Yuna. It trades the Curaja other White Mage Bursts normally get with Curaise, which is nice for multiplayer, but a little disappointing for regular use. Palom's BSB is also okay for DPS if you're hitting an imperil/weakness.

It's not that I'm looking for a FF4 medical it's just

Randabis posted:

As someone with 4 soul breaks for Rosa, proshellga, holy ray, her unique raise/heal, and the artemis bow break she is really good for a lot of fights since she can mog might proshellga then curaja/wrath spam her way into holy ray then sustain through most fights while building gauge to use her other utility breaks. This opens up ability slots for herself and other characters since she can handle basic mitigation and quickly get burst mode to take care of party heals. She also can help attack on easy fights with her bows.

basically this, although the stuff you posted sounded nice. Also I didn't want to use my hero souls if there is going to be an event that will give me FF4 characters.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also I didn't want to use my hero souls if there is going to be an event that will give me FF4 characters.

Depending on how regularly you play, you'll find you shouldn't even worry about this in the near future. The game gives you ample souls and they don't go to waste since dupes in the future will just be growth eggs (which take forever to convert from souls). You can be pretty cavalier with MC1s too. MC2s can be a bit more rare, so feel free to hoard a bit until you pick up relics for the select characters.

So if you have the chance to unlock and build up a character now during Orbfest, I think you should go for it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Krile's faithga stacks with Cid Raines entry and cmd 2 mag buffs though and really that should be fine.

I thought the buff was the same as leylines and sheepsong? Being able to stack Leylines/Sheepsong, Metamorph, and Vessel party buffs on a mage team... :stare:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought the buff was the same as leylines and sheepsong? Being able to stack Leylines/Sheepsong, Metamorph, and Vessel party buffs on a mage team... :stare:

Sheepsong is +Mag, Metamorph entry is +Mag/+Def, CMD 2 is (Raines only) +Mag/-Res, and Vessel is +Mag/+Atk

They all stack.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I feel like this Nemesis fight would be significantly less bullshit if your party just started with full ATB or half full ATB or something.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Invested some serious time into making my stash usage more efficient. Cleared out 40 slots for my 3 budgeted pulls tomorrow - I'm ready to go 3/33 with all dupes.

I've got quite a stash of 5* orbs at this point - aside from honing the standbys, I was looking at maybe making Rapid Fire. From what I recall, someone here mentioned it's basically Irvine's old SB?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

2 SPOOKY posted:

I've got quite a stash of 5* orbs at this point - aside from honing the standbys, I was looking at maybe making Rapid Fire. From what I recall, someone here mentioned it's basically Irvine's old SB?
it's got slightly worse potency in return for not requiring you to bring Irvine

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm at a bit of of a loss for how to approach summon hones at this point.

I've got Ifrit / Shiva / Ramuh at R4 and can't see a reason to take them to R5.

For 4*, I've got an R4 Valefor, R4 Alexander, R3 Leviathan, and R3 Ixion.

For 5*, I've got R1 Bahamut, R1 Titan, R1 Ultima Weapon, and R1 Tiamat.

I've got enough major orbs now to hone 2 of the 5*s to R2, or hone 1 to R2 and halfway to R3, but I'm not sure what to use them on. Ultima is nice, and I have both a weapon and armor that boosts dark damage, but the only dark mage I have is Cid and he can't use summons. Tiamat is good, but can be a little finicky and I've already got Alphinaud's BSB to hit wind damage - plus it seems like I'd be better off just going with Valigarmanda or Meltdown on him if I want to use his ether effect against a boss without a wind weakness. I've got Rinoa's en-earth and a piece of +earth armor, which makes Titan tempting, but earth weakness is pretty rare and I've also got Maria's BSB for that. Do I hone Bahamut? That seems like the most boring option, but it's also the least situational.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

titan is good and cool

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mithross posted:

There are spellblades not named Celes? I don't even know that Steiner guy, much less others...

Is Celes so good she outclasses everyone else in the spellblades? I have gotten pretty lucky between the event and the FF6 banner and I have her OSB, Runic and Indomitable Blade. I was planning on beefing her up with all my event goodies but now Im pretty darn sure of it

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm only honing up Valefor and Bahamut to max, and I crafted Phoenix just for the nightmare summon bosses. I have Rydia's Shiva SB so I'm set for Neo Bahamut except for levels. Getting Yuna's BSB2 on my dollar pull was rad as hell and I'm currently grinding her to 99.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

she's got that unique runic effect on runic/indomitable blade that eats black magic and restores ability uses that no one else gets

with a bit of investment she can also bring 4* white stuff to the table which means she can serve as a backup shellga/protectga

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Meme Emulator posted:

Is Celes so good she outclasses everyone else in the spellblades? I have gotten pretty lucky between the event and the FF6 banner and I have her OSB, Runic and Indomitable Blade. I was planning on beefing her up with all my event goodies but now Im pretty darn sure of it

If you have Indomitable Blade then she is easily the best Spellblade. You owe it to yourself to get her to 99 and use Spellblade motes to unlock at least one copy of Snowspell Strike.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Meme Emulator posted:

Indomitable blade chumps any boss that uses single target magic heavily. And with native ether she can spam snowspell strike.

Since I pulled Indomitable she's been on my short list for a MCIII, but I pulled Raines BSB before I got it so now she has to wait a bit.
Edit: beaten twice, damnit.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

she's got that unique runic effect on runic/indomitable blade that eats black magic and restores ability uses that no one else gets

:goonsay: Actually exdeath also gets it with Grand Cross sb, and his USB when we get that ~6 months from now

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mithross posted:

Indomitable blade chumps any boss that uses single target magic heavily. And with native ether she can spam snowspell strike.

What should I be doing for survivability and getting more soul breaks? Aside from playing more and leveling up. Im guessing part of the problem is that my party is level 72 across the board and low HP causes Yshtola to die sometimes. She gets KOed before I can get her BSB off and its been keeping me from being able to blow thru difficulty level 120-140 content.

Is Wrath the only way to get more soul juice faster?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

What should I be doing for survivability and getting more soul breaks? Aside from playing more and leveling up. Im guessing part of the problem is that my party is level 72 across the board and low HP causes Yshtola to die sometimes. She gets KOed before I can get her BSB off and its been keeping me from being able to blow thru difficulty level 120-140 content.

Is Wrath the only way to get more soul juice faster?

hitting with attacks that target a vulnerability builds more soul juice (and i think resists build less?)

4* combat users have lifesiphon

cloud and the keeper each have record materias that let whoever has them equipped start a dungeon with one soul break bar full

ramza and tidus each have record materias that boost the amount of soul juice you earn on each action you take (including wrath and lifesiphon)

squall has a record materia that boosts the amount of soul juice you earn from taking damage

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 30, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Adding on Cowcaster's advice, you should also make sure to unlock Record Spheres for some character whenever you can. Tougher since you need to clear content to get the most out of them but they've given out free ones every so often. My early focus was on getting HP unlocked on my healers and mages. Even an extra couple of hundred HP can go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Meme Emulator posted:

Depending on record dive, she's somewhere between weak and middle of the pack for "can hit elemental weakness" and that's it. Knight 5 and Black/White 4 (the latter from diving) are handy, but she's not alone in having them and has worse stats than many of the alternatives...

BUT

She has far and away some of the highest upside utility SB's of any character in the game. The Runic effect is just her and Exdeath, and in any situation where that's a viable option, having her spam Snowspell Strike will beat the poo poo out of whatever another spellblade can do. Her BSB is also quite good. Her OSB is... an OSB. It's not why she's great and we'll leave it at that.

• Locked thread