Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Arcanen posted:

The note 7 cost them $5B. Even if you don't believe in their competence, you can likely trust their greed. Another battery issue would mean the end of the company, so I'd suspect they are actually taking things seriously. The tiny 3000mAh battery in the S8 is evidence of this, I think.

That said, that the general response to this wasn't "always have a removable battery" (from all phone companies) kind of blows my mind.

I think the idea is that the battery thing was just the icing on a cake made of a a long line of incompetent decisions, not that that we should expect another battery issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Duggler posted:

I wonder if that 20% is normal, seems like a lot of degredation after only a year

With a small battery and YUUUGE screen, you'll end up charging it so often that it'll still be 20%\year. Come on, make the phones thicker and put 4500+mAh batteries in them.

bull3964 posted:

It's because removable batteries are pretty much impossible with today's design considerations.
I don't buy it. They could design a waterproof battery cover, again by making the phone slightly thicker.

Edit: \/\/ Yes.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Consumers don't actually care about today's design considerations that much, even if they think they do. Having a beautifully thin enclosed metal or glass frame doesn't really mean anything when everyone rushes to put their phones in super thick cases the moment they buy them. In large part because those same design considerations make phones harder to hold, more likely to experience catastrophic damage with even a modest drop, and almost certain to scratch the camera which is too thick for the phone.

"The all glass design of this super thin phone is sooo stylish" *puts into inch thick plastic case.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 30, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I do have to say, as much as I wouldn't want one of their phones, the Tab S2 8.0 I picked up to replace my Nexus 7 has been pretty good so far.

I can't say it doesn't have its own annoying nuances and bugs, but using it as I use my N7 has been solid. It's also a 2 year old fully baked design (with SoC update last year) that wasn't created under massive pressure to hit a date and huge sales numbers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Arcanen posted:

Consumers don't actually care about today's design considerations that much, even if they think they do. Having a beautifully thin enclosed metal or glass frame doesn't really mean anything when everyone rushes to put their phones in super thick cases the moment they but them. In large part because those same design considerations make phones harder to hold and more likely to experience catastrophic damage with even a modest drop.

"The all glass design of this super thin phone is sooo stylish" *puts into inch thick plastic case.

But that's what's selling devices. Step away from bleep-bloop logic for a minute and realize that people are sold on what a precase phone looks like. It's what moves devices.

Look at all the people falling over themselves to praise the UX disaster that is a bezel-less device here. Who cares if there's a bezel or not when you drop it in an OtterBox? Only everyone who bought the thing.

I mean, poo poo, look at the flack Google caught with the understated Pixel design. Who the gently caress cares if it's just a slab of aluminum? Turns out everyone buying the phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I think the idea is that the battery thing was just the icing on a cake made of a a long line of incompetent decisions, not that that we should expect another battery issue.

It's exactly this.

The problem was almost immediately apparent once the device was sold. That means it was obviously not tested or if it was, done so so badly as to miss a potentially deadly flaw.1 Then once it was apparent there was a problem they eschewed working with regulatory bodies to issue a recall because it was inconvenient2--remember this is a potentially deadly problem. Then they said their tireless engineers had solved the problem and went back to selling them but they were wrong3, literally endangering people's lives.

Only then did they do what they should've done initially when, again this cannot be stated enough: people's lives were at risk, and done a proper recall using the proper channels.

That's when we found out that the phone was rushed to meet a deadline, QA be damned4 and oops, it was due to bad engineering all along5, not out of spec components from third parties.

1,2,3,4, & 5 aren't things that can "happen to anybody", they're only possible in a culture where doing things right is not a priority and literally lives of people do not matter. This isn't opinion or speculation, it's well-documented fact. Now if you're the kind of person who is okay with supporting a company that has shown that expedience for them trumps your life, that's fine. It is your right as a consumer in a capitalist hellscape but don't expect me to respect you as you obviously don't respect yourself if this is the kind of choice you make.

At best you can say they're incompetent (and likely criminally so), misdiagnosing the problem twice before doing the right thing (and only then because the publicity was becoming too much to bear) but let's face it, when have you ever gotten the best out of Samsung? It's far more likely they weighed the sales of the phone against paying off the families of whomever they killed and were fine with the math.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Consumer surveys indicate people would gladly take on a few extra mm for a larger battery though. It's just not being offered or marketed to them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Arcanen posted:

Consumer surveys indicate people would gladly take on a few extra mm for a larger battery though. It's just not being offered or marketed to them.

Consumers say they want all kinds of dumb poo poo because money isn't on the line and they want "the best".

The truth is that consumers want Apple iPhones or whatever the sales guy says is what to get if the customer says "I hate Apple." Once the decision of Apple vs. Not-Apple is made, they want the one with the biggest number that they can afford or not afford but finance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Arcanen posted:

Entirely unrelated except for the fact that a removable battery will always be smaller than the non-removable kind given the same physical constraints.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Consumers say they want all kinds of dumb poo poo because money isn't on the line and they want "the best".

Exactly. Unnecessarily thin phones are being marketed as being "the best". If a big company marketed a flagship that was slighly thicker for a much bigger battery, who knows?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Consumers care if their battery lasts a day. That's all. Anything else is a bonus. And guess what? Most every phone lasts a day.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Arcanen posted:

Exactly. Unnecessarily thin phones are being marketed as being "the best". If a big company marketed a flagship that was slighly thicker for a much bigger battery, who knows?

Except you cut out the relevant part of my post, they're going to pick whatever the guy says is best without looking into it.

"How's the battery on this?"

"The battery? AMAZING DUDE."

"Okay, I'll take four."

*Sales guy pockets commission, continues to have no idea about the battery life of what he was just paid to sell*

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

If the more expensive flagships are thicker, they'll be the phones pushed by "the guy".

The point being, these design considerations are being pushed on users, rather than demanded.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 30, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought a metal phone which was 7.5mm thick. Slapped a case on it and now it's 10,5mm. I'd rather have bought a 10,5mm phone made from plastic (like note 1) with a larger battery. But plastic high end phones with big batteries are hard to find.

E: and now my "slim" phone from 2016 is thicker than a phone from 2011. Because these fragile thin metal phones will get absolutely destroyed when you drop them..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 30, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What I don't get, is why instead of always trying to reinvent the wheel from the outside in every generation, why not when you get a design that is solid and everyone seems to be buying even if it doesn't look vastly different from the last generation, but improve everything on the inside?

Instead of making it thinner, just make everything better that couldn't be in the previous model?

I like the mention of having replacable batteries again. God how easy that would have been to fix for Samsung rather than having a crap ton of new devices with no easy plan on how to offload them, rather than just recall the battery part and be right as rain.

I know HTC sort of did this with the HTC M7-M9, and it would have worked if they didn't have the problem of "upgrading" the SoC to an S810, but at the same time, putting on one of the worst cameras they had used in ages. (Which the HTC10 corrected, but there they go redesigning again, and while it was a nice redesign, you removed a big part of what made the M series so popular in the first frekaing place).

LG is like the only company left giving us the option with the V series. The V10 and V20 still have a solid metal feel, but have a replaceable battery behind their removable back that may make the device a bit bigger/thicker, isn't a bad design by any means. The only problem is well, the phone is huge and that does remove people such as my mom from consideration as they don't want to try and put a phablet into their pocket and something like the Pixel is a much easier size to handle.

I know we went away from plastic phones what seems ages ago, but man the smaller fully accessible devices of old which had about as many sensors and things on them, you would think could have a new revamped design with the SoC shrinkage and other advancements we have made since then.

I do like metal, but this exotic material drive like mentioned above, is almost always covered by a case to keep Jo Butterfingers phone from ending up with a shattered screen day one anyway.

The other thing I wish everyone would stop doing is freaking copying Apple. They are not and haven't been the leader of mobile design in years and I hate how they still are treated as such. Same for how people still think Toyota is a reliable brand over so many other brands. This isn't the 90's anymore, yet that stigma remains.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arcanen posted:

. Another battery issue would mean the end of the company, so I'd suspect they are actually taking things seriously.

Lmao no it wouldn't, Samsung is an enormous company and not only are phones just one small part, people would keep buying them because for a lot of people, Samsung = Android. They basically came out of the Note7 mess unscathed and I remember reading they still had record holiday sales.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

What I don't get, is why instead of always trying to reinvent the wheel from the outside in every generation, why not when you get a design that is solid and everyone seems to be buying even if it doesn't look vastly different from the last generation, but improve everything on the inside?

Instead of making it thinner, just make everything better that couldn't be in the previous model?
This is what Apple is doing, and the response is "it's stale and boring!"

So, no, this is not going to work for Androids where there's actually choices on phones to be made.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao no it wouldn't, Samsung is an enormous company and not only are phones just one small part, people would keep buying them because for a lot of people, Samsung = Android. They basically came out of the Note7 mess unscathed and I remember reading they still had record holiday sales.

Something like $25Bn in profits last year.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

vyst posted:

I'm all over that S8. Come to Butthead
Same. I already pre-ordered my Galaxy S8+, I'm sure it'll be fire fine.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I opted for the normal one because I have baby hands

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google researchers finally published a paper on Tacotron. It's a new voice synthesis engine that does pretty good!

Anyway, the paper is not really in the wheelhouse of this thread, but I thought I'd post the samples page in this thread because it'll probably be incorporated into Assistant at some point...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was reported recently that only like 29% of Samsung's phone revenue comes from their flagships. Flagships are halo devices for a brand, but their sales are only as important as the impression they give of that brand.

Also, real amusing that HTC's strategy would have worked if it weren't for that drat SD810. HTC's issues were numerous and gross and the SoC played little into that. In fact, once again, people bemoaned that the outgoing model looked so much like the incoming.

We'll see if the strategy works for Motorola since they have to keep much about their design the same to ensure motomod compatibility.

People saying "Samsung wouldn't have had the Note 7 debacle if it had a removable battery!" are missing the forest for the trees. They shouldn't have had the debacle regardless of what battery type the phone had if they had done their job properly.

It also would have complicated recall efforts as a blanket ban on flights would have been complicated by devices that look the same but have different batteries inside. It still would have been very costly and brand damaging. They probably still would have had to go through the software efforts to ensure people would swap the batteries.

At the end of the day, the physical shell of the recalled devices is a drop in the bucket as far as the recall costs go. The real costs are the logistics of doing the recall, compensating customers, and mitigating brand damage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Android Police kept pointing out for multiple podcasts that, even after the recall, there were more Notes 7 in the wild than there were LG V20 phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Android Police kept pointing out for multiple podcasts that, even after the recall, there were more Notes 7 in the wild than there were LG V20 phones.

Yup. Android enthusiasts like most of this threads regulars or XDA are an extremely small sample size. Samsung is more than fine and they will continue to be more than fine. The S8 looks nice but I'm firmly in the Pixel camp now. Might get one for work.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So the Galaxy S8 comes in black, gray, and not quite gray. Where's my T-Mobile gold?

Also, there is a $99 add-on package. Includes some AKG bluetooth headphones (model Y50BTBLK probably, ~$150) and a Samsung EVO+ 256GB microSD (~$150). I have no idea if the AKG headphones are any good or not as I've never heard of the brand, but I think it is a good price on a 256GB microSD.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nalin posted:

So the Galaxy S8 comes in black, gray, and not quite gray. Where's my T-Mobile gold?

Also, there is a $99 add-on package. Includes some AKG bluetooth headphones (model Y50BTBLK probably, ~$150) and a Samsung EVO+ 256GB microSD (~$150). I have no idea if the AKG headphones are any good or not as I've never heard of the brand, but I think it is a good price on a 256GB microSD.

What is this addon package? It's not available on any carrier or store in Canada, just the Gear VR.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Thermopyle posted:

Google researchers finally published a paper on Tacotron. It's a new voice synthesis engine that does pretty good!

Anyway, the paper is not really in the wheelhouse of this thread, but I thought I'd post the samples page in this thread because it'll probably be incorporated into Assistant at some point...

gently caress, is there anything you can't solve by throwing enough neural networking at it?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sereri posted:

gently caress, is there anything you can't solve by throwing enough neural networking at it?

Anything involving discrimination

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

As a phone, the M9 was a good upgrade from say the M7 and even the M8 if you did want one of the few good, but hot 810 powered devices.

However it wasn't bad that it looked like the M8, it was bad because they took the M8 look and made it worse with that weird lip on the side, and also put on one of the worst cameras of that year on the thing.

I feel that if they would have just made it an M8 with different color options, had the camera from the HTC 10 in it (or the Nexus cameras), and really nothing else, the phone would have been a flagship of the year to compete side by side with the Nexus 6P.

Instead, well.. We have what HTC is today.

Guess we will see what they can do with the Pixel 2 before LG gets their swing at it for the Pixel 3 (or Huawei maybe?)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

The intonation changes with CAPITAL LETTERS and punctuation is really neat.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CLAM DOWN posted:

What is this addon package? It's not available on any carrier or store in Canada, just the Gear VR.

Apparently when you apply for the GearVR promotion, Samsung will try to sell you the $99 package. You can't actually buy it until the GearVR promotion goes live.

https://samsungpromotions.com/infinitelyimmersive.html

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nalin posted:

Apparently when you apply for the GearVR promotion, Samsung will try to sell you the $99 package. You can't actually buy it until the GearVR promotion goes live.

https://samsungpromotions.com/infinitelyimmersive.html

Ah, that's US only it seems.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sereri posted:

Google AI for president 2020.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, AnandTech came out with a list of the best android phones of Q1 2017.

Best phablet: Huawei Mate 9
Best high-end phone: S7 edge and HTC 10
Best upper-mid-range: OnePlus 3T
Best budget: Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro

What happened to you AnandTech?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Jesus that's a disappointing list

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The budget one might as well not be there.

"This is a great budget phone, beats everyone, just none of our readers can buy or use it. Uhhh, we got nothing else, peace out."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

quote:

In terms of audio quality, design, OEM UI, and other areas like perceptual latency I would argue that HTC is just clearly ahead of Samsung. HTC also has proper USB 3.1 and USB-C support, which does make the device more future-proof than the Galaxy S7 edge’s microUSB connector in that regard. The front-facing camera is also just clearly better on the basis of having OIS and optics that can actually focus on a subject instead of being set to infinity at all times.

However, Samsung is clearly ahead in display and its camera is clearly the fastest I’ve ever seen in any phone, bar none. Samsung is also just clearly shipping better Wi-Fi implementations right now

Clearly the writing has improved since Anand left.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
That's a lot of clearlys :stare:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Clearly the writing has improved since Anand left.

That reads like a blog from a non-english speaker, not something like Anandtech, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

The two good employees left to work at Apple.