Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Policenaut posted:

There's a rumor that there's 3 studios in total working on Destiny 2 content, not just Bungie and Vicarious Visions, so I'd totally believe the third one would be some cheapo studio doing the PC port.

hmmmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You mean the port that had such lovely network code they had to add quake style hit sounds when shooting enemies so you could tell if you were actually causing damage?

(I still played the poo poo out of it)

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Is that photoshop in the background?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

FishBulb posted:

Cool. Exited about the PC version as all the worst players will go there leaving only cool dudes behind on PS4

Rude. :(

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I don't think the Bungie shooting style translates well to PC. Halo never felt right on PC.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm actually torn, I kind of want to get both PC and PS4. The PC version will be much easier to datamine for interesting tidbits, but the PS4 version is the Gold Experience that I've become accustomed to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffle House posted:

The PC version will be much easier to datamine for interesting tidbits

I think datamining is done with files downloaded from the web API, if it were worth it to go through the game disc someone would have done it by now. So all platforms are equal in that respect.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

NNick posted:

I don't think the Bungie shooting style translates well to PC. Halo never felt right on PC.

I agree with this.

It took me a long time to get a love for hand canons (Destiny was my first console game). I think only Fatebringer and Thorn made me "get it". Is hard for a PC gamer to "get" hand canons because automatic rifles are very intuitive with a mouse.

Bungie have a concept for hand canons that is very cool and is very un-PC.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I'd love to see the marketing data that convinced them that their half-assed PC port of an FPS will be the one that doesn't dry up in a few months when the master race goes back to Counter Strike or whatever the current early access flavor of the month is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nah it'll be fine they'll do a lovely PC port, that dude who fixes PC games in sub-5 minutes on NeoGAF will do some unsupported mod to make it work, and life will go on.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

haveblue posted:

I think datamining is done with files downloaded from the web API, if it were worth it to go through the game disc someone would have done it by now. So all platforms are equal in that respect.

Level data and isn't something that we can get from the API (AS FAR AS I KNOW), which is most of what I'm curious about.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

sunday at work posted:

I'd love to see the marketing data that convinced them that their half-assed PC port of an FPS will be the one that doesn't dry up in a few months when the master race goes back to Counter Strike or whatever the current early access flavor of the month is.
It's unpredictable how pc players respond to cross platform shooters. COD always dried up quickly on PC, but you can still find players in The Division and that game has been declared "dead" every week since it was released. And Overwatch is still big everywhere.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Waffle House posted:

Level data and isn't something that we can get from the API (AS FAR AS I KNOW), which is most of what I'm curious about.

Yea, people will get the map for "RAID_FINAL_BOSS", then geometry and maybe even code for the triggers / scripts in the map.

It may depend how Bungie write this type of thing, but if the scripts are in the maps, people may find why a particular raid bug happens before Bungie and shame them.

quote:

It's unpredictable how pc players respond to cross platform shooters.

Completelly agree.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Roman posted:

It's unpredictable how pc players respond to cross platform shooters. COD always dried up quickly on PC, but you can still find players in The Division and that game has been declared "dead" every week since it was released. And Overwatch is still big everywhere.

I dunno how big a difference it makes, but Overwatch was more seen as a primary PC shooter with a console port, as opposed to the other way around. Also it's good, and is more like team fortress 3 I guess, a niche that isn't super overdone instead of yearly CoD rehash + Blizzards general polish level.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waffle House posted:

I mean, people have had the level data conveniently pressed on DVDs/BRs in their homes for the past 2.5 years and I haven't seen any MASSIVE BREAKDOWNs of secrets pulled out of those. Reading console game data in general on PC is well-understood so either Bungie successfully obfuscated it or there's too little overlap between Destiny players and the sort of people who'd do that.

vvvvvvv As of right now the old WOTM is all that's available anyway. In Crota the 390 mode showed up as a third difficulty option but I don't think anyone knows how WOTM will be handled. Ideally being the featured raid means all challenges active and AOT ornaments drop and not being the featured raid means only 1 challenge is active and perfected ornaments drop. n/m, I guessed wrong about all this apparently

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 30, 2017

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Anyone know if I can do the "old" WotM hard mode raid for 400 LL loot and perfected tokens? I have 1 perfected token, need 2 to exchange for one age of empires longboat or token or w/e. Also I want to drag a friend through it to gear him up for being dragged through the other raids.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

poor life choice posted:

Anyone know if I can do the "old" WotM hard mode raid for 400 LL loot and perfected tokens? I have 1 perfected token, need 2 to exchange for one age of empires longboat or token or w/e. Also I want to drag a friend through it to gear him up for being dragged through the other raids.

Pretty sure the perfected tokens are useless now

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

poor life choice posted:

challenge mode isn't listed for whatever that's worth

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
you can trade them in 2 for 1 for the new triumph tokens.

e: ah, that answers that then. You can only get them from challenges, right?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

poor life choice posted:

you can trade them in 2 for 1 for the new triumph tokens.

e: ah, that answers that then. You can only get them from challenges, right?

Where do you trade them in?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also loving lmao the cabal are deadlier than a Hive God wielding the power of the darkness and a time traveling robot that can control matter.

And PC? Really? Lmao no one will buy it on PC, it's a bungie shooter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

People bought Destiny for xbox 360 and PS3 even though that was a stupid decision for stupid people.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
The reason it may do well on PC is because the game is as much loot grind as it is shooter. That's the reason The Division is still played.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Also loving lmao the cabal are deadlier than a Hive God wielding the power of the darkness and a time traveling robot that can control matter.

Turns out the cabal have their own traveler except it's all dark and poo poo and their big dude fancies himself an oryx kinda figure. Probably

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

people are gonna buy it the first time it goes on sale then "get to it when it comes to that point in my backlog" then complain that "dead game no one plays" because they didn't realize they should have played a pseudo mmo shooter before the next edition gets released.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think there will probably be a stigma attached to Destiny as a console game that prevents it from being super popular on PC, but whatever. Good for them let it come out on PC

I just don't wanna read a PC oriented thread and lose half my raid group to a different console but such is life I guess.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Shiro in the iron temple. It's 2 perfected and 25 marks for one age of triumph ornament.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HAT FETISH posted:

Turns out the cabal have their own traveler except it's all dark and poo poo and their big dude fancies himself an oryx kinda figure. Probably

But he'll just be the Valus Ta'aurc model wielding a giant phalanx shield so you take him down by shooting his index finger for 10 minutes while infinite homing rockets fly out of his rear end.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Adregan posted:

Shiro in the iron temple. It's 2 perfected and 25 marks for one age of triumph ornament.

gently caress my warlock is gonna look rad

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

It also depends on what platform is considered the main platform for eSports. Even with the half-assed implementation of private matches and esport support in Destiny 1 it seemed fairly popular, and it seems like they were just testing for Destiny 2.

If they focus on PS4 for esports, PC is DOA.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

haveblue posted:

I mean, people have had the level data conveniently pressed on DVDs/BRs in their homes for the past 2.5 years and I haven't seen any MASSIVE BREAKDOWNs of secrets pulled out of those. Reading console game data in general on PC is well-understood so either Bungie successfully obfuscated it or there's too little overlap between Destiny players and the sort of people who'd do that.

vvvvvvv As of right now the old WOTM is all that's available anyway. In Crota the 390 mode showed up as a third difficulty option but I don't think anyone knows how WOTM will be handled. Ideally being the featured raid means all challenges active and AOT ornaments drop and not being the featured raid means only 1 challenge is active and perfected ornaments drop. n/m, I guessed wrong about all this apparently

idk, like I agree, but I feel like that's just because nobody's actually put the effort to it. I don't remember a single time anyone pulled or cited Destiny gamecode in all these years

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waffle House posted:

idk, like I agree, but I feel like that's just because nobody's actually put the effort to it. I don't remember a single time anyone pulled or cited Destiny gamecode in all these years

Because all the smart people just bought a digital download and none of the dumbheads with a disc can figure out how to read hex.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Shiro IIRC. The item description says where to go.

You can also turn in isenfyre tokens for vanguard and crucible rep, beats deleting them.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

the cabal, much like the guardians, understand that the deadliest weapon in the known universe is a big-rear end gun

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They didn't invade until we cleared out those things 🤔

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

They didn't invade until we cleared out those things 🤔

So what you're saying is that Destiny is a commentary on international policy towards the mideast?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Waffle House posted:

I remember people dug out where the expansions would take place and they were largely correct

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

look the cabal didnt get to do poo poo in destiny 1 just let them have this

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I for one can't wait to shoot endless waves of shield cabal that don't flinch, I mean cabal were by far the best enemy to fight in D1.........[summons a booming Borat voice from the depths of the 2000s] NOT!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

echronorian posted:

I remember people dug out where the expansions would take place and they were largely correct

wasn't that mostly just glitching into zones that were in-game but otherwise locked out? like Tanik's ship, Rasputin's bunker etc.

not so much looking through code or w/e

• Locked thread