Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

guy1: "hey, friend, say 10 years after everything i say"
guy2:"...but why? ok..."
guy1: "tylenol"
guy2: "...10 years"
guy1: "robitussin"
guy1: "benghazi"

guy2: "HEY WAIT!! you got me!"

-- what passed as a joke when i was a kid in the 90'x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

I just wish they would say "well see actually I'm dumb as gently caress so...that's my answer...FINAL ANSWER: DUMB AS gently caress!"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im the mechanics working overtime tonight to modify air force one's septic tank to drop piss hail

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

good to see my nap yesterday wasn't unjustified

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

C-Euro posted:

Having spent a few years in a STEM PhD program (and dropping out), a lot of older people with PhDs think that it means they are incredibly smart about everything, when in fact it means they are incredibly smart about a teeny tiny fraction of the field and very smart about a lot of the fundamentals related to that fraction (which is arguably more important). Meanwhile the vast majority of people I've known who have gotten PhDs in the last fiveish years have all said they wouldn't do it if they had known what they now know. And you get free tuition in STEM PhDs since you work for the university so you don't even have loans to worry about!

Also, a lot of the older PhDs who run larger labs have forgotten a lot of the science in their respective field. And so now, they are basically salesmen trying to bring in grant money.

I was talking with a former co-worker the other day who is finishing her post-doc. She is running out the door as fast as she can into education. She doesn't want anything to do with research anymore. She said she'd settle for a community college position. She just wants out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I'm allergic to dogs and cats.

So after I got married, we got a dog and a cat.

But we got a mini schnauzer who's rad and low-allergen, and a Siberian cat who - according to stuff a few years ago that has probably been proven BS by now but who knows - is also supposedly low-allergen despite his long hair that ends up literally everywhere.

wtf you have my cat

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
fwiw the point the McCaskill is making is shared by a lot of very liberal commentators. If you're going to force a rule change, make it happen with a seat the republicans haven't literally bet everything on and you might be able to keep a couple institutionalists from voting to change the rules.

It's a lovely bet, really, but it's about all the Dems have unless they take back the senate in 2018. There is no actual way to win on Gorsuch.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

someone get me the peckerwood duck real quick

that sign has three sides?! :stare:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MadJackal posted:

This is like hyping the autopsy photos of a close friend.

Meanwhile the NYtimes Tuesday actually had the most useful analysis of what happened in 2016. It boils down to a quarter of the white working class that voted for Obama, voted for Trump. That's it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

tenderjerk posted:

You know I can think of twisted reasons to justify why republicans vote for almost all their stuff, but doesn't the ISP thing go against their 'personal privacy' dogma

like I can't think of any upsides, or even what could be spinned into upsides. Did anyone who voted yes on this comment?

stop stifling market innovation!!!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Dos things picante:

What time is spicer on today? I watched him on a loving plane the other day live thats how badly I need my spice

Everyone who posted tapatio, crystal, valentia, tabasco, franks, cholula... Buy this https://www.amazon.com/Marie-Sharps-Fiery-Sauce-Pack/dp/B00FZ6GO04/ and if you don't like it I will personally refund you but if you do you have to fix my avatar of a chicken that some BYOB admin got me a while ago and now the image link is broken

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Drain the bog

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Interesting article with useful conclusion

quote:

Which brings us back to the Democrats, still wondering how to listen to those who feel ignored. Should the party take a page out of the Trump playbook and focus on one group to the exclusion of others? Not only would doing so be impossible in a practical sense, it would also be an affront to everything this enormously diverse party stands for. Perhaps the lesson for Democrats is that empathy is not an electoral strategy. Now, it’s just a matter of convincing voters of that.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/empathy-is-dead-in-american-politics.html

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Red Minjo posted:

I mean my mom has a cat allergy and the Siberian cat we got hasn't messed her up or anything.
I don't normally like cats but the one we have is too friggin fluffy to hate. Except when he attacks our teenaged Westy dog. Leave the poor girl alone!
Yeah, ours is a jerk, too, and he harasses our poor, aging mini schnauzer who just wants to lay around and get petted and bark at dangers like joggers, bicyclists, and other dogs of course. I'll still have extremely minor reactions if he scratches me (like he did ~30 seconds after this picture was taken, because fluffy bellies are traps) but nothing serious at all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Schnorkles posted:

It will not work in this case. McConnell will change the rules and ram Gorsuch through.

I'm not 100% convinced McConnell has the votes for that.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Joementum posted:

I'm not 100% convinced McConnell has the votes for that.

Who do you think would defect? Isakson is home with a bad back iirc, so they only need 2.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lmao

Trump70: jet fuel cant melt the house freedom caucus

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

mormonpartyboat posted:

trump did future 9/11

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FCKGW posted:

wtf you have my cat

GIVE HIM BACK YOU MONSTER

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alexander Haig was one of the dumbest men in politics to ever politick.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Everyone who posted tapatio, crystal, valentia, tabasco, franks, cholula... Buy this https://www.amazon.com/Marie-Sharps-Fiery-Sauce-Pack/dp/B00FZ6GO04/ and if you don't like it I will personally refund you but if you do you have to fix my avatar of a chicken that some BYOB admin got me a while ago and now the image link is broken

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Handed Missus posted:

the opposite of shook

Up to

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Schnorkles posted:

Who do you think would defect? Isakson is home with a bad back iirc, so they only need 2.

Depends on how the Democratic obstruction is managed, but as you note he needs to have nearly every Republican vote to change the rules.

Anyway, the Democrats should call his bluff rather than just rolling over and confirming because the idea that he wouldn't also blow up the rules next time is a fantasy.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

:agreed:

gently caress pandering to rurals and the white working class

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is no downside to obstruction. No one that voted Trump is going to switch sides and vote democratic. As a matter of fact the Democrats should filibusterer him because he won't overturn Roe. Really troll the christian right.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

nice, day 70, the sex number

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

punchymcpunch posted:

nice, day 70, the sex number

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Going to have sex at age 70

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
The Trump Putin handshake will be a thing to watch as spry little Putin forces the old fat man into submission

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

2018 House elections are gonna be awesome to watch.

gently caress the lovely states up for Senate this year.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

C-Euro posted:

Having spent a few years in a STEM PhD program (and dropping out), a lot of older people with PhDs think that it means they are incredibly smart about everything, when in fact it means they are incredibly smart about a teeny tiny fraction of the field and very smart about a lot of the fundamentals related to that fraction (which is arguably more important). Meanwhile the vast majority of people I've known who have gotten PhDs in the last fiveish years have all said they wouldn't do it if they had known what they now know. And you get free tuition in STEM PhDs since you work for the university so you don't even have loans to worry about!

This is basically me. I'm happy I got through grad school but gently caress if I would do it again or recommend people do it. The field warps your brain and I have a lot of coworkers that feel guilty for not coming in to lab on the weekends enough. I do but that's cause I'm an antisocial shut in without anything better to do, I also get to break all the lab safety rules wrt eating in the lab on the weekend.

I don't know what else I'd do if I wasn't in science though. Its almost noon and I'm not even dressed yet, probably saunter into work after lunch.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

industrial sriracha

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh my god different hot sauces are good for different things because they have different ingredients and thus different flavor profiles you god damned loving goons

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

triple sulk posted:

i'm gonna mcdonalds drivethru for a second but here's the thing; any dog can be a good dog. there are tons of pit bulls/pit mixes that are totally fine, don't get me wrong. the problem isn't necessarily with the owners although i'd assert that pit bulls are absolutely not a first time dog owner breed. the problem is with the inherent combination of the original intention of the breed which was unfortunately for agility and prey drive, and combining that with their ABSURDLY powerful jaws, you're asking for even the slightest potential slipup and whatever gets attacked is hosed.

i'm not gonna elaborate on why but we fostered one once for a few weeks and the entire time even when she was just seeming to try and "play" with the cat(s) i was absolutely terrified she was going to kill them if only by accident. i was once playing tug with a rope in the yard and her jaw was so strong that i could swing her entire body off of the ground like a flail and she would not let go.

pits aren't alone though in this and terriers in general are poo poo. jack russells are loving terrible too.

if you want a dumb friendly dog just get a golden. the worst that will happen is it'll probably die of cancer which is like 40-60% of all causes of the breed's deaths.

the way to not-mcdonalds this is to say that everyone has an animal training skill on their stat sheet & pits and other strong dogs are animal training lvl 4-5 to make not complete poo poo

goldens and labs are lvl 1, they are so tame they literally could not exist in the wild because they are too nice

too many dog owners think they are lvl 8 or 9 when really they are lvl 0

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/847473617797599232

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

rear end cobra posted:

The Trump Putin handshake will be a thing to watch as spry little Putin forces the old fat man into submission

there wont be one, theyll do the demolition man have a joy joy day hand thing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't believe trump is stupid enough to meet putin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
senate intel hearing livestream

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/29/politics/president-trump-latest-updates/index.html

• Locked thread