Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

It probably happens way, way more than it's reported because getting a teenage boy to admit he was sexually assaulted has got to be drat tough. 2-3 times a year you seem to get this type of stuff to pop up on Deadspin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

There is an anesthesiologist who will make some residents bag an entire case by hand instead of using a ventilator.

Goddrat.

Closest we have is making a Basic push D50 through a 22g.

Also the most hazing we got in baseball was someone might get BenGay on the nuts for being an rear end in a top hat.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

Nerd hazing is like, being forced to hand-solve really tedious differential equations that require twenty layers of integration by parts.

Chain rules within chain rules within chain rules all the way down

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Goddrat.

Closest we have is making a Basic push D50 through a 22g.

Also the most hazing we got in baseball was someone might get BenGay on the nuts for being an rear end in a top hat.

How long does that take?

The most baller moment I ever had was getting two 14g in the same forearm. I could have drowned the guy through his arm if I wanted to.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

How long does that take?

The most baller moment I ever had was getting two 14g in the same forearm. I could have drowned the guy through his arm if I wanted to.

A half hour or so for a half amp. It's pure misery (ask me how I know).

Also that's pretty goddamned impressive w 2 14s in the same arm. I have plenty of subacute pts I could've done so, but about the best I've done is a 14/16 (bilat) or 14/EJ on sick peeps.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I gave someone a steroid through an electrically charged pad on their achilles today

was kinda cool.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Physicist nerd hazing is dragging socially awkward people out to a bar to have a beer or mixed drink. It's great because it should be the most normal thing ever and so many of them just squirm the entire time.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
This is a top tier terrible hashtag.

https://twitter.com/UVa_Football/status/846698179361943553

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Frottage is a beautiful act of love, how dare they sully it by bringing it down to the level of UVA football.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is that supposed to be hard

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Is that supposed to be hard

Probably pretty rough on 300+ lb linemen, although I see a couple of dudes just lying on the ground instead of planking.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NCAA Offseason N/V: Hard Things Together

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Stanford is going to start kinda sorta paying players not really.

https://explorecourses.stanford.edu...ience&collapse=

Its a start i guess

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

pillsburysoldier posted:

Stanford is going to start kinda sorta paying players not really.

https://explorecourses.stanford.edu...ience&collapse=

Its a start i guess

I am actually stupid so I'm not grasping how this works from the course description

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Time posted:

I am actually stupid so I'm not grasping how this works from the course description

They get college credits for playing sports.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

big money big clit posted:

this is cool but does it affect players already on scholarship? like what is the net benefit to them? again, I'm not trying to be dense, I was born this way

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Lane Kiffin denies using Joey Freshwater as an alias, claims he has used "Jimmy Chestnut."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Haha this is great

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
“Now that they’ve had a chance to reflect on Ferguson, one of the real culprits were the fines and fees they were putting on low-income Americans, [that] 48 states have been implementing on all of us, all Americans. For Colin, and what Colin’s doing and has been doing, when you really stop and listen and know where Colin is coming from … he’s trying to do this for his future kids, for my kids, for all of our kids. He’s a special person and a hero, in my opinion.”

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Poor research by SB Nation - It originated here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3m7pgr/colin_cowherd_tweets_about_something_going_on_at/cvcqnx5/

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Its also real self serving because i imagine it's an easy way to boost GPA

Then again....

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

God dammit

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Time posted:

this is cool but does it affect players already on scholarship? like what is the net benefit to them? again, I'm not trying to be dense, I was born this way

Imagine if players never went to class and basically earner their place in college solely by playing sports. They would be getting paid, in the form of room and board and stipends, to play sports. This is a step towards towards that by allowing them to earn some credit for playing sports instead of going to class.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It's 132 credits to graduate here or something like that.

Like 12 of those are electives.

If I can take gently caress off courses for all 12 of those elective credits, that's what I'm likely to do.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
They need you there for 4-5 years so you can take classes that make you a well-rounded human being and not so they can charge you for 8-10 semesters of what you can reasonably do in 3-5 semesters depending on your degree.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Preferred/invited walk-ons get screwed, it seems

But that's business as usual

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So my dad and I and maybe a few buddies are heading up to Columbus for the Oklahoma-Ohio State game in September. Trying to look for some AirBnBs to stay in. Any recommendations on where in the city to stay? Would prefer somewhere reasonably close to campus, either walkable or short drive. There's a place between 315 and Short North that looks cool--would that be a good place to go out on Friday night or before the game Saturday? If not, what are some good neighborhoods for bars, either of the sportsy persuasion or otherwise?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Oh god TFF, I touched the poop on a VT message board re: the North Carolina bathroom ban, and now I don't want to leave TFF ever again. It's kind of impressive how much I enjoy VT and all my fellow young alums, and how equally loving awful all of our redneck waste of space wal-mart fans are.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nur_Neerg posted:

Oh god TFF, I touched the poop on a VT message board re: the North Carolina bathroom ban, and now I don't want to leave TFF ever again. It's kind of impressive how much I enjoy VT and all my fellow young alums, and how equally loving awful all of our redneck waste of space wal-mart fans are.

Do they know that the repeal of the ban doesn't actually repeal the part that so many people had an issue with, and effectively made it impossible to repeal for like three years?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

TBeats posted:

Do they know that the repeal of the ban doesn't actually repeal the part that so many people had an issue with, and effectively made it impossible to repeal for like three years?

I think the main issue is that they're uneducated redneck bandwagon fans who don't actually know anything at all.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mods? Do the needful.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shut Penn State University down forever

quote:

“Running out of sympathy for 35 yr old, so-called victims with 7 digit net worth,” Penn State trustee Albert Lord wrote in an email to the Chronicle of Higher Education. “Do not understand why they were so prominent in trial. As you learned, Graham Spanier never knew Sandusky abused anyone.”

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Imagine if players never went to class and basically earner their place in college solely by playing sports. They would be getting paid, in the form of room and board and stipends, to play sports. This is a step towards towards that by allowing them to earn some credit for playing sports instead of going to class.

Got it, thanks for laying it out. I really wasn't getting it

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

TipTow posted:

So my dad and I and maybe a few buddies are heading up to Columbus for the Oklahoma-Ohio State game in September. Trying to look for some AirBnBs to stay in. Any recommendations on where in the city to stay? Would prefer somewhere reasonably close to campus, either walkable or short drive. There's a place between 315 and Short North that looks cool--would that be a good place to go out on Friday night or before the game Saturday? If not, what are some good neighborhoods for bars, either of the sportsy persuasion or otherwise?

Short North is the grown-up place to drink. German Village can get you some good dining options but isn't where you want to be late at night. Avoid going up High Street to campus the night before a game. Short North is walkable to the stadium if you're in decent shape.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TBeats posted:

lol there's protests from the left planned this weekend in asheville against the repeal.

It'll probably dissolve into a save the ants sit in or something.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

This guy gently caress's sake

quote:

"I am tired of victims' getting in the way of clearer thinking and a reasoned approach to who knew what and who did what,"

“The notion that there can be only one point of view with respect to all this stuff, and trustees at Penn State should toe a line that reflects the politically correct point of view, is symptomatic of what ails us.”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheGreyGhost posted:

Short North is the grown-up place to drink. German Village can get you some good dining options but isn't where you want to be late at night. Avoid going up High Street to campus the night before a game. Short North is walkable to the stadium if you're in decent shape.

I was in Short North last month and an old toothless woman offered to blow me and two of my friends for cigarettes. Also nobody knows how to park their cars and people are still wearing Harambe shirts.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was in Short North last month and an old toothless woman offered to blow me and two of my friends for cigarettes. Also nobody knows how to park their cars and people are still wearing Harambe shirts.

I mean, Harambe was from nearby Cincinnati...

Thanks for the tips, TheGreyGhost! Looks like we'll stay in or around Short North.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Henchman of Santa posted:

As a Clevelander in Cincinnati, you do not know how loving tired I am of the dead gorilla meme. Columbus is by far the most livable city in the state, which means it's trying to be what Portland/other cool cities were a decade ago. Which is ultimately decent all things considered.

Also, TipTow, Late Night Slice for drunk munchies. Adriatici's is better pizza but LNS is open in the wee hours of the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

You know who has it too easy in life? Victims of systemic child rape.

• Locked thread