Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Bryter posted:

Actually Hamilton is a brilliant strategist who gave Rosberg the win knowing he would retire and be replaced by a non-German (the only way to stop the team sabotaging him)

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/717312342002900996

Their Lewis and his 4d chess. Winning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/847374084803444738

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Please don't post tweets from 2015.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
That's strange, my unnamed totally legit source which definitely isn't a random prediction wrapped in a fine layer of mystique told me the Honda will be fine and Alonso will be the fastest in all the speed traps.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

HJB posted:

That's strange, my unnamed totally legit source which definitely isn't a random prediction wrapped in a fine layer of mystique told me the Honda will be fine and Alonso will be the fastest in all the speed traps.

While I despise Andrew Benson and his made up horseshit... he's probably not wrong.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Alain Post posted:

English fans just don't want to admit that the most objectively fraudulent WDC was clearly Hunt in '76.
So obviously true, Our Niki missed a race or two entirely because he was melting in a burn ward, and came back heroically to finish a race while he was still melting shortly after. Their James was so busy breeding birds (budgies) and breeding birds (women) that even with these massive setbacks to his opponent he still only took the championship by 1 point. Our Niki MWDC '76 for the Scud.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

NtotheTC posted:

While I despise Andrew Benson and his made up horseshit... he's probably not wrong.

Thus you have figured out his MO.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So obviously true, Our Niki missed a race or two entirely because he was melting in a burn ward, and came back heroically to finish a race while he was still melting shortly after. Their James was so busy breeding birds (budgies) and breeding birds (women) that even with these massive setbacks to his opponent he still only took the championship by 1 point. Our Niki MWDC '76 for the Scud.

But using wicka logic, where HAM lost early in the year by not driving better in his incredible recovery drives from the back of the field (sometimes literally) deep into the points , how does Niki "Crispy Batter bit from the side of the fryer" Lauda catch a break for literally parking his perfectly functional car on the championship deciding race? All he had to do is score 2 points and he'd have won. That's a clear MWDC disqualification. He didn't merely "not drive better", he stopped driving completely!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 30, 2017

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

Lewis can't control his car breaking, but he can control his own mistakes, and he made countless mistakes over the course of the season that could have given him the five points needed to beat Rosberg in the end. That's why he quite obviously deserved to lose. Oh, and he scored fewer points than Rosberg, which is literally the only metric that matters.

Well done Baku

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TurboDrizzle posted:

But using wicka logic, where HAM lost early in the year by not driving better in his incredible recovery drives from the back of the field (sometimes literally) deep into the points , how does Niki "Crispy Batter bit from the side of the fryer" Lauda catch a break for literally parking his perfectly functional car on the championship deciding race? All he had to do is score 2 points and he'd have won. That's a clear MWDC disqualification. He didn't merely "not drive better", he stopped driving completely!

"wicka logic" is that the driver with the most points deserves to win the title because that's how titles are awarded.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

"wicka logic" is that the driver with the most points deserves to win the title because that's how titles are awarded.

I think this makes Rosberg the trump of Formula 1. He's absolutely a formula 1 world champion. F1's electoral college numbers are crystal clear, black and white fax mentis incendium gloria cultum, et cetera, et cetera... He can never be removed from that list. But nobody expected him to win, he lost the irrelevant popular vote (aka number of races won) foreigners (germans) interfered in the election, and his supporters cant stop defending him with "Yes, that might be true but he WON!" :smugbert:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

TurboDrizzle posted:

"Yes, that might be true but he WON!" :smugbert:

But.... he did win, whats the arguement here?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TurboDrizzle posted:

I think this makes Rosberg the trump of Formula 1. He's absolutely a formula 1 world champion. F1's electoral college numbers are crystal clear, black and white fax mentis incendium gloria cultum, et cetera, et cetera... He can never be removed from that list. But nobody expected him to win, he lost the irrelevant popular vote (aka number of races won) foreigners (germans) interfered in the election, and his supporters cant stop defending him with "Yes, that might be true but he WON!" :smugbert:

Pretty good analogy, actually.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want to talk about team interference then what about poor bloody Rubens? Does that make 6 of Schumacher's titles irrelevant?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Pretty good analogy, actually.

Arguably the dumbest analogy I've ever read in any context.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

TurboDrizzle posted:

Are you actually Wesley Willis?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Lewis can't control his car breaking, but he can control his own mistakes, and he made countless mistakes over the course of the season that could have given him the five points needed to beat Rosberg in the end. That's why he quite obviously deserved to lose. Oh, and he scored fewer points than Rosberg, which is literally the only metric that matters.

His starts were atrocious.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

wicka posted:

Oh, and he scored fewer points than Rosberg, which is literally the only metric that matters.

This really is the only thing that matters, the history book says WDC 2016: Nico Rosberg and that's that, no big asterisk next to his name saying (but Lewis totally should have won it)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

TurboDrizzle posted:

Can you link to your banned profile of MattDizzle please? I want to see the post that got you banned, thanks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

Are you actually Wesley Willis?

Rock on London rock on Chicago. Wheaties the Breakfast of Champions!

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

Can you link to your banned profile of MattDizzle please? I want to see the post that got you banned, thanks.

Someone who has been posting on SA as long as you should know .... to read the OP :smug:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

TurboDrizzle posted:

Someone who has been posting on SA as long as you should know .... to read the OP :smug:

Was it because you rooted for Nelson Piquet in 2007? Because I cannot find the reason in the OP, unless it was the dreaded..... *whispers* rivals.com?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've seriously never been to rivals.com are the forums really the hellscape everyone makes them out to be?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Bryter posted:

Actually Hamilton is a brilliant strategist who gave Rosberg the win knowing he would retire and be replaced by a non-German (the only way to stop the team sabotaging him)

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/717312342002900996

That's still the funniest loving thing to me because he didn't need to be "playing chess" at all; he had the best car on the grid and even his harshest critics tend to concede he's one of the best 'raw talents' on the field today.

He lost to the guy who realized, no, it is just checkers, and spent the better part of a year just practicing jumping one checker piece over the other again and again and again all the way to the WDC.

...and then in the end it turns out Nico was actually a grandmaster chess player who really just enjoys checkers because he apparently trolled Lewis so hard by leaving the sport that the dude still can't stop taking petty shots at him in interviews all this time later.

Lewis is shook.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I've seriously never been to rivals.com are the forums really the hellscape everyone makes them out to be?

Perhaps we should move the thread there.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

I had a quick reccy. It's all basketball and American football, so yeah probably is just as lovely as everybody says.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

dreesemonkey posted:

Believe me, I'm secretly super hopeful and Lewis not winning the title would be so so satisfying, just the thought of Bottas beating him in a race is lovely. I'm just not trying to get too hopeful :( I'm worried that it will be like barcelona from last year where Kimi or Vettel was stuck behind Max the whole time, the pace was there but the track was impossible to pass on if you're not 4 seconds a lap faster (which is maddening to watch).

Digitial media - I'm really hoping for a netflix-type thing where you have access to not only live streams, but past seasons, etc. The teams could also maybe add content like the redbull PR videos that they do with their drivers and maybe do a small revenue share to the teams for that. If it was priced reasonably enough, I could see it being very popular worldwide.

I think I'm going to cheer for Bottas this year. I'll have to give it a few races to see if he really is as bland and non-threatening as he appears, or if he'll jump in and take advantage when Lewis is off his game. I'm hoping all it will take is a few weeks of Lewis being passive aggressive, overlooking him as a challenger, likely being a dick in team meetings, etc. for him to get pissed enough to have a go. If their relationship gets salty quickly it will make me happy.

Netflix-type F1 service sounds like a great idea, and one I'd even pay for if it was cheap enough. I doubt they'd make it cheap enough.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CratSock posted:

I think I'm going to cheer for Bottas this year.

I hope his fatal accident takes you out too.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

CratSock posted:

I think I'm going to cheer for Bottas this year. I'll have to give it a few races to see if he really is as bland and non-threatening as he appears, or if he'll jump in and take advantage when Lewis is off his game. I'm hoping all it will take is a few weeks of Lewis being passive aggressive, overlooking him as a challenger, likely being a dick in team meetings, etc. for him to get pissed enough to have a go. If their relationship gets salty quickly it will make me happy.

Netflix-type F1 service sounds like a great idea, and one I'd even pay for if it was cheap enough. I doubt they'd make it cheap enough.

I would consider this because he's Not Hamilton, but I'm kind of holding out hope for an actually fun team like Red Bull or Haas to get its act together.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Theophany posted:

I had a quick reccy. It's all basketball and American football, so yeah probably is just as lovely as everybody says.

But why is a drivers name change to an amusing pun bannable here under rivals.com?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

But why is a drivers name change to an amusing pun bannable here under rivals.com?

I don't think it's because those forums are insanely bad per se, but rather that they are known for making lazy puns.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Khablam posted:

I hope his fatal accident takes you out too.

Pirate Radar posted:

I would consider this because he's Not Hamilton, but I'm kind of holding out hope for an actually fun team like Red Bull or Haas to get its act together.

He's in the same car as Hamilton, arguably the best one, and if not for team orders and driver pecking order should have the best shot at beating Hamilton. And what's more appealing to me is that Hamilton losing to an inferior teammate for a second year in a row would be so satisfying. Watching an unsalted cracker like Bottas come up and take another WDC from him would be spectacular.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I don't know but my only 2 probations in... holy poo poo 12 years(!) of posting at this hallowed institution are a result of that rule, despite pages of other P**is S***ilton references.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Use your disparaging remarks within your post and no one cares.
Empty-quoting / making the post about using those lame puns is kinda poor form.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

enri posted:

This really is the only thing that matters, the history book says WDC 2016: Nico Rosberg and that's that, no big asterisk next to his name saying (but Lewis totally should have won it)

I think the major stumbling block for this thread in regards to this outlook is that if Rosberg isn't a fraud, then neither is (f.e.) Jacques Villeneuve. Gunna be honest with you, "WDC winner" doesn't immediately spring to mind when I think of Jack. It's more that i remember it later and go "Oh yeah, that guy won the WDC once, jesus christ".

(If you're a fan of bad drivers for some reason and are upset at me choosing Jacques, you're welcome to mentally substitute his name for Damon Hill or whoever in your mind and re-read it).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Villeneuve isn't a fraud because the didn't deserve the title he won, he's a fraud because he's been completely and totally useless since then, and is an embarrassment to himself on a level Lewis couldn't even hope to match.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What if we substitute Mercades for Red Bull during the Vettelreich and it had been Webbah who had doubled down on the work, beaten Seb and then quit?

I guarantee you there would not be a single * or () in sight.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I don't disagree with the premise that an * next to someone's WDC is a stupid idea, but to act like literally nothing matters in an F1 season except the points tally at the end is fuckin' daft too. Why watch the races at all if all you want to know is the points everyone got at the finish? The drama of what happens during the race is what is important. That's why it's perfectly fine for people to say "Rosberg lucked into his WDC because X" and it's perfectly fine for other people to say "Lewis should have won it because X".

Basically if you're a a perfect logic machine that only cares about stats then yes, the only metric that matters is the points tally at the end of the season.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

What if we substitute Mercades for Red Bull during the Vettelreich and it had been Webbah who had doubled down on the work, beaten Seb and then quit?

I guarantee you there would not be a single * or () in sight.

Thats because doubling down on the "worked harder" story, and "lazy lewis" are both figments of the imagination of the hipster members of the worst thread too cool to respect popular lewis hamiton.

Lewis puts in the work with his mechanics and always has since year 1 at McMerc, and the germans kneecapped him by giving them to fraudberg. So its actually possible lewis's hard work won Rosberg his WDC.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 30, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I genuinely can't go along with that narrative I'm afraid. Watching Lewis go out of his mind if Seb beats him is far more satisfying and funny than fake supporting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm watching a motorcycle race series where the points leader has won 2 races and the 2nd place guy has won 7 races so far with 5 rounds to go. But that's why we run the races I guess.

• Locked thread