Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I'd imagine a guy isn't going to make the best judgement driving while on LSD.
That's what the cocaine is for.

There's no damage to the truck, so it seems the balance of drugs he achieved allowed him to safely do his job for 50 consecutive hours.

Imagine what you could achieve with that kind of efficiency. knock your work week out in 2 days and have 5 days free to sit around and do drugs.

Zipperelli. posted:

How does this happen? Truckers are required to stop and rest every 'x' amount of hours. How did he not get caught at a weigh station or something?

I was always paranoid about getting my log books filled out and in the end, nobody else ever saw a single page.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Gorilla Salad posted:

The opposite of OSHA:

these iron throne parodies are getting really mundane

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Michigan is having all kinds of issues with trucking right now. The state weight limit is twice the federal standard, companies can even be allowed to have a "superload" which weighs even more for just a flat $50, and the State Police only have the budget for like 14 commercial vehicle officers in the entire state to run weigh stations and to roadside checks. Couple that with both a heavy logging industry and one of the main cargo transit points with Canada and you have an absurd number of overweight trucks destroying roads with virtually no oversight or regulation. And any time the state legislature tries to do anything about that the logging and agriculture lobby destroy it before it gets anywhere close to a house floor.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 30, 2017

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

not to mention that Michigan has some of the worst roads in the country to begin with because of the freeze/thaw cycle

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

Michigan is having all kinds of issues with trucking right now. The state weight limit is twice the federal standard, companies can even be allowed to have a "superload" which weighs even more for just a flat $50, and the State Police only have the budget for like 14 commercial vehicle officers in the entire state to run weigh stations and to roadside checks. Couple that with both a heavy logging industry and one of the main cargo transit points with Canada and you have an absurd number of overweight trucks destroying roads with virtually no oversight or regulation. And any time the state legislature tries to do anything about that the logging and agriculture lobby destroy it before it gets anywhere close to a house floor.
Are you suggesting those lobbies aren't entitled to the state reps they duly bought and paid for? Sounds like communism to me!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scruff McGruff posted:

Well the free market should adjust to discourage truckers from carrying oversized loads to avoid damaaaaahahahahahahaha

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sagebrush posted:

My high school principal was missing his middle, ring and little finger on one hand from an attempt to un-jam a rock from the blades of a running snowblower.

You didn't go to high school in a Chicago suburb did you?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Moey posted:

You didn't go to high school in a Chicago suburb did you?

I did! I know who you're talking about.. probably, was he a gym teacher that also was the coach for waterpolo/swimming?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MF_James posted:

I did! I know who you're talking about.. probably, was he a gym teacher that also was the coach for waterpolo/swimming?

Well, when I knew him he was a Tech teacher at a Jr High and wrestling coach. Also taught building trades a few years later for the Highschool above said Jr High.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

There's no damage to the truck, so it seems the balance of drugs he achieved allowed him to safely do his job for 50 consecutive hours.

Someone has to fish his credit cards out of the fuel tank though. Might be an issue if they dissolve in the diesel before that happens.

quote:

The Recorder also reports that the man “threw his credit cards into the truck’s fuel tank” for some reason and was climbing around the truck trying to get back in. Thankfully, police added, no one was hurt.
:laugh:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

I was laid off amongst 3/4 of the field management of Central Transport because the 82 year old billionaire owner was charged with contempt of court for not fixing this. His biggest racket was the ownership/toll collection on the Ambassador Bridge border crossing, which he ensured would be a constant income source by buying up the land along the coast to block other tunnels/bridges from being built. He basically got ordered to fix the roads or go to jail- though I'm pretty sure he had a volunteer serve the time for him.

As an added bonus when applying for unemployment we all found out that we showed drawing a duplicate paycheck from a Canadian subsidiary.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Moey posted:

Well, when I knew him he was a Tech teacher at a Jr High and wrestling coach. Also taught building trades a few years later for the Highschool above said Jr High.

Oh different guy then, I went to a catholic high school and afaik he was always a swim type dude, but he definitely only had a thumb and forefinger

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

MausoleumExtremist posted:

I was laid off amongst 3/4 of the field management of Central Transport because the 82 year old billionaire owner was charged with contempt of court for not fixing this. His biggest racket was the ownership/toll collection on the Ambassador Bridge border crossing, which he ensured would be a constant income source by buying up the land along the coast to block other tunnels/bridges from being built. He basically got ordered to fix the roads or go to jail- though I'm pretty sure he had a volunteer serve the time for him.

As an added bonus when applying for unemployment we all found out that we showed drawing a duplicate paycheck from a Canadian subsidiary.

Lol, Matty Moroun is like a real-life cartoon villain tycoon. His wiki page is pretty tame other than the incident you mentioned but the page for the new Gordie Howe Bridge has some of the better stuff he's done recently.

quote:

The most vocal opposition to the new crossing has been from billionaire Manuel "Matty" Moroun, who owns the Ambassador Bridge. He has sued the governments of Canada and Michigan to stop its construction, and released a proposal to build a second span of the Ambassador Bridge (which he would own) instead.[38] Critics suggest that Moroun's opposition is fueled by the prospect of lost profits from duty-free gasoline sales, which are exempt from about 60 cents per gallon in taxes even though the pump price to consumers is only a few cents lower.[39]

In 2012, Moroun spent more than $30 million promoting a proposed constitutional amendment that, had it passed, would have required approval of both the voters of Detroit and the voters of Michigan in statewide elections to build the bridge.[40] US National Public Radio, in a November 2 story aired four days before the vote, indicated the amendment's "seemingly neutral language masks a very specific—and bitter—political battle".[41] More than 60 percent of those who voted on the proposal rejected Moroun's Proposal 6, paving the way for the bridge to proceed.[42]

In early June 2011, the conservative group Americans for Prosperity posted bogus eviction notices on homes in Detroit’s Delray district. With the words "Eviction Notice" in large type, the notices told homeowners their properties could be taken by the Michigan Department of Transportation to make way for the proposed new bridge. The group’s state director said the fake notices were intended to get residents to contact state lawmakers, to ask them to vote against the bridge project.[43]

In July 2011, the Canadian Transit Company, the Canadian arm of the Ambassador Bridge,[44] began running advertisements against the DRIC proposal, calling it a "$2.2 billion road to nowhere".[45] The phone number listed for Canadian Transit Company forwarded to a phone number in Michigan,[45] and the Canadian Transit Company previously held its 2011 annual meeting at the offices of the Detroit International Bridge Company.[46] MPP Dwight Duncan advised that he was investigating whether or not the ads violated Ontario's election laws, which disallow public spending by foreign lobbyists.[45]

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MausoleumExtremist posted:

he had a volunteer serve the time for him.

you can do that? :eyepop:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MF_James posted:

Oh different guy then, I went to a catholic high school and afaik he was always a swim type dude, but he definitely only had a thumb and forefinger

Ha, yeah, our guy was missing the majority of fingers. Same style accident.

Whenever he shook your hand, he would also always rub your palm with one of his nubs just to try and creep you out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Moey posted:

Ha, yeah, our guy was missing the majority of fingers. Same style accident.

Whenever he shook your hand, he would also always rub your palm with one of his nubs just to try and creep you out.

haha this guy did the same. I also used to keep our construction equipment at an auto shop, the guy was an old machinist and was missing his ring and middle fingers from a metal press incident if i recall correctly and he would do the same thing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I thought Jon Tester was missing his middle two fingers, but I was remembering wrong.

One pinky more than my grandpa!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Scruff McGruff posted:

Lol, Matty Moroun is like a real-life cartoon villain tycoon. His wiki page is pretty tame other than the incident you mentioned but the page for the new Gordie Howe Bridge has some of the better stuff he's done recently.

He would interrupt board meetings in corporate to call a random field office just to yell at whoever picked up the phone for basically no reason. It was such a surreal place to work.

On the plus side "owner and VP were indicted" is a GREAT answer for the "why did you leave X company?" question in an interview.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I thought Jon Tester was missing his middle two fingers, but I was remembering wrong.

One pinky more than my grandpa!

When I was in second grade we went on a field trip. The mother of a student was chaperoning but she had the exact same thing as the pic above on one hand. It creeped me the gently caress out as a kid, but later on I felt bad for it. She was just trying to hang ten, you know?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

spankmeister posted:

The guy who sang return of the mack did it to avoid community service. Found a lookalike to take his place on a work crew. He was caught.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scruff McGruff posted:

:lol:

The damage a vehicle does to a road scales with the fourth power of axle weight.

These (legal, non‐superload) trucks aren’t doing twice the damage. They’re doing sixteen times the damage.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's a pretty special engine, being able to run on such diverse fuel types.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

If he'd used reds, vitamin C and cocaine he'd have gotten away with it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Obsurveyor posted:

Someone has to fish his credit cards out of the fuel tank though. Might be an issue if they dissolve in the diesel before that happens.
:laugh:

The Police can use the credit card info to track the time and distance between fill ups and use that to provide evidence of hours of service violations.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
Lmbo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

spankmeister posted:

not officially, but the term "fall guy" exists for good reason

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

not officially, but the term "fall guy" exists for good reason

For example, the bastard going to jail this week over Bridgegate who isn't Chris Christie.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bacon Taco posted:

i get this joke :hfive:

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Bacon Taco posted:

All a friend can say is, "aint it a shame?"

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

If they're paper logs, they're easily to falsify. If they're computer logs, they're also easy to falsify, you just need to call someone with admin privileges who's willing to "fix" them, or login with someone else's ID #.

At the truck shop I work at we get lots of calls to "fix" these computer log systems for one of our main customers. 90% of the time the issue is due to the CPU mysteriously unplugging itself.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Imagine what you could achieve with that kind of efficiency. knock your work week out in 2 days and have 5 days free to sit around and do drugs.

I worked two jobs and did this when I was in university - Early shift at the first job Thursday, late shift at the second job Thursday night, back it up on Friday with the same thing, then sleep all weekend.

I don't recommend it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

If they're paper logs, they're easily to falsify. If they're computer logs, they're also easy to falsify, you just need to call someone with admin privileges who's willing to "fix" them, or login with someone else's ID #.

Here, the police have cameras watching the main approach roads to the cities. It recognises the truck license plates and records the time.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0ZhUxrvnVg

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp6hFnWXMag

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_cpvapfAtc

?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I really, really want to know what that looked like healed up.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Dienes posted:

I really, really want to know what that looked like healed up.

Russians proving they are the baddest of asses yet again. I too really want to see the end result.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I had a coach in middle school who was missing half his thumb. Born that way. Sure was an absolute douchebag though.

Sounds like the folks who lose them doing stupid stuff usually end up pretty cool.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Here, the police have cameras watching the main approach roads to the cities. It recognises the truck license plates and records the time.
Sounds like government overreach to me.