Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrLonghair posted:

DLC got good at the final boss, then it got even better, I dug it. For $5 without a season-pass I've seen many times worse ways to spend money on DLC.

And you don't loving jam a meme into a localization when you could just do your job, why could they not resist the temptation to keep it free fom fuckery and from dragging it the hell down in the muddy swamp awaiting a draining, those dumbasses. It's not spicing up and otherwise dull line of original, it's being a retard, like with other parts of the FFXV localization and how it changes the characters in ways that actually go overboard compared to the original Japanese, in ways that would be perfectly fine to translate straight up, ways that would deliver the character's personality. At least it's not Fire Emblem!

Sir, are you having a god drat stroke or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

DLC got good at the final boss, then it got even better, I dug it. For $5 without a season-pass I've seen many times worse ways to spend money on DLC.

And you don't loving jam a meme into a localization when you could just do your job, why could they not resist the temptation to keep it free fom fuckery and from dragging it the hell down in the muddy swamp awaiting a draining, those dumbasses. It's not spicing up and otherwise dull line of original, it's being a retard, like with other parts of the FFXV localization and how it changes the characters in ways that actually go overboard compared to the original Japanese, in ways that would be perfectly fine to translate straight up, ways that would deliver the character's personality. At least it's not Fire Emblem!

So what is the line the original Japanese, MrLongHair? Please tell me how they ruined the characters.

Hint: You have no actual idea what the dialogue is like nor do you care, which is why you're only whining about the fact that someone made fun of your precious feefees and not the entire rest of FFXV's fairly loose localization, something you actually have no idea about because you're repeating something someone else told you without idea or context.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
To be fair derisively calling fascist propaganda "alternative facts" is a pretty timeless slam even if it happened recently in the real world

Noctis making a joke about skipping leg day is a way more dated reference

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Oh my God, you were being serious.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I loving love memes, brotato

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

Sir, this is a Pizza Hut drive-thru, I just asked you if you wanted extra cheese

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Are some people seriously upset about Ignis and the "alternative facts" line?

Its not something I would have even picked up on had I not read about it here first. I mean, I guess you could see it as lame but its not even on the same level as a Working Designs localization joke.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I mean, I guess you could see it as lame but its not even on the same level as a Working Designs localization joke.

No way, that is straight-up Working Designs tier. But that cheesiness is what makes it great!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

And you don't loving jam a meme into a localization

Said no localization team ever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Looking at how the text of FF15 is different between the original Japanese and localized versions and what those differences mean/imply could be legit interesting but not if you're gonna be lolmad about it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Since I love Working Designs localization style I also liked the line, but what I liked more is the "one tape they forgot to erase", that was such a stupid but amazing way to fill out details, I hope the Empire lefts randomly scattered tapes throughout the world, each one's being there and having been recorded making progressively less sense.

Although I'd like to know what the line was originally, but I assume it was something bland, probably even "more of Empire's lies".

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Wolfsheim posted:

What's that a reference to? I just took it as a "normal" gym joke.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Renoistic posted:

What's that a reference to? I just took it as a "normal" gym joke.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/skipping-leg-day

It's kinda just a normal gym joke, but it is/was sorta a meme.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I don't understand what fads are anymore.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Augus posted:

Sir, this is a Pizza Hut drive-thru, I just asked you if you wanted extra cheese

Uhh I think you mean eksutura chizu, also way to shoehorn in an American cultural reference where it didn't exist before, in the original you're actually at a Ramen place asking if he wants extra naruto (fish cakes)

God these loving bullshit localizations I swear

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

To be fair derisively calling fascist propaganda "alternative facts" is a pretty timeless slam even if it happened recently in the real world

do you even lift, bro

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
"Alternative facts" is the new "Let them Eat Cake", and I doubt that one being referenced would cause as many weeby tears.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Ventana posted:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/skipping-leg-day

It's kinda just a normal gym joke, but it is/was sorta a meme.
So... people here are so wildly unfamiliar with physical exertion that an actual thing about working out is considered a meme. A joke. Wowowowow. Very much like that, "Brush your teeth a few times a day" meme, huh?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm p big on that oxygen meme

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a joke because people on fitness forums would needle each other about loving it up.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

No??? Leg Day is one day a week and people avoid it because difficulty, pain in the days after, and that legs aren't considered home to any glamour muscles. One person joshing another about skipping Leg Day is a joke only in that, duh, they're giving grief to the other. It's a joke in XV in as much that Noct is called out for having scrawny legs, not because le meme jokes. That would be like calling a physical trainer a comedian because lmao they sure do focus on that joke!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Something can both be an actual thing and also ascend to meme status when it gets used in unrelated or exaggerated fashions. Many memes are in fact actual things that just get repeated to absurdity.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us. A particular meme is a bad joke?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

All memes are bad esp in my jrpgs.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Leg day is an actual concept, referring to "skipping leg day" is also a popular joke mainly for making fun of top-heavy character designs. I don't know what's so hard to understand about it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Alder posted:

All memes are bad esp in my jrpgs.

this guy are Sad!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

LEGS?????

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Games › Final Fantasy XV: Your Memes Start Here

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Nina posted:

Leg day is an actual concept, referring to "skipping leg day" is also a popular joke mainly for making fun of top-heavy character designs. I don't know what's so hard to understand about it
Nerds hear a commom thing yet have no idea what it is, do an internet search, and discover something so outside their reality that the only way to reconcile any of it is to sloppily apply the concept to bideojame and animes as a commentary on art design?

No, you're right about it being a joke. I understand now.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Instant Grat posted:

Games › Final Fantasy XV: Your Memes Start Here

Games › Final Fantasy XV: It Was All A Meme

A lot of discussion in this thread is around the topic of "the game sucks but is great." They on purpose took ten years to make the game and also made Ch 13 annoying so that people would talk about it. FFXV was intended to memeify itself so that when a game has a lovely chapter or takes forever to make people will bring up FFXV (a la Duke Nukem Forever). I'm joking but the great/lovely thing really makes a perfect storm.

Edit:

Attitude Indicator posted:

Chuck Norris actually exists, but was also a meme? How can this be?

Lol

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 30, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Leg Day is a meme in the strictest sense of the word, as Dawkins intended it in the 70s

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Chuck Norris actually exists, but was also a meme? How can this be?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I, ah, didn't think the leg day thing required further detail, even if you're not into fitness or w/e it came up a lot as a joke in 2012 when Paul Ryan's weird workout photoshoot was a thing, hence it being pretty dated at this point

I guess I forgot which forum I was in for a second

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why is it the mainstream games that attract the weirdest posters

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wolfsheim posted:

I, ah, didn't think the leg day thing required further detail, even if you're not into fitness or w/e it came up a lot as a joke in 2012 when Paul Ryan's weird workout photoshoot was a thing, hence it being pretty dated at this point

neither leg day nor the concept of skipping it nor jokes centering around it are or were specifically references to paul ryan.
I am absolutely shocked, just shocked, that goons aren't familiar with gym lingo!

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 30, 2017

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Motto posted:

Why is it the mainstream games that attract the weirdest posters

poo poo, it's a question of scale. I bet very niche games hit that end of the bell curve, as well.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly I always thought the skipping leg day thing was a Jersey Shore reference

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

neither leg day nor the concept of skipping it nor jokes centering around it are or were specifically references to paul ryan.
I am absolutely shocked, just shocked, that goons aren't familiar with gym lingo!

I am absolutely shocked that people are looking with weak-rear end burns on other posters over a stupid joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kelp Me! posted:

Honestly I always thought the skipping leg day thing was a Jersey Shore reference

• Locked thread