Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

The Martians got taken out by our diseases.

the martians weren't anywhere near as ineffable in thier biology as the eldrazi tho, this isn't anywhere near as bullshit as the mtg story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Even if we don't get them this set, I think there's enough of a roster that it'll happen eventually. You already have Tezzeret, Garruk's been unaccounted for since M15, Nahiri is probably considered a villain now, and I guess you could probably justify that vedalken dude from Kaladesh being against the Jacetice League.

Ob Nixilis probably isn't a fan either.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

MaRo the inscrutable...

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 30, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
He shouldn't answer developmental questions. He's shown a few times in the past that he might not always know what he's talking about (like never using the legendary type for balance considerations).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I can't see how these two answers can't coexist. It's not like Kaladesh doesn't have any artifact hate, it's just not good enough to keep the Heart from beating.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

DoctorOozy posted:

I'd pay kidneys for one by Alan Moore

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Alan Moore trading writing for kidneys.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Rigel posted:

I don't think we're going to be introduced to the brotherhood of evil planeswalkers. Bolas probably just wants an undead army of super-soldiers for the planar bridge. The trash outside the city is probably just people who did not survive the 5 trials.

Zombie Eldrazi Titans would be the loving poo poo. Hire me Wizards, I'll turn the company around immediately

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This would be cool and interesting and possibly compelling (since it gives the good guys actual motivation to be fighting Bolas) if they didn't outsource the story writing to MFA rejects, so of course it won't happen.
The stories are written in-house by the creative team.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Niton posted:

If the writers had any chops, this would simply come back to bite them in a big way - burning the Eldrazi's physical forms just freed them to the multiverse, or something.

They already set up for this being the case when Ugin came up to them while they were high-fiving each other and was like "you are all loving idiots."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Siivola posted:

I can't see how these two answers can't coexist. It's not like Kaladesh doesn't have any artifact hate, it's just not good enough to keep the Heart from beating.

I think the thing that annoys me the most is he said that tormods crypt is too good for graveyard blocks. If he actually believes tormods is too good he shouldn't be designing anything.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Siivola posted:

Decommission, Fragmentize, and Release the Gremlins are some pretty good removal, but they're not what Standard needs to deal with vehicles.

It'd have to be something like Putrefy or Abrupt Decay, that's instant and can hit Heart whether its crewed or not, and also sink the guy trying to crew it. Anguished Unmaking's life payment makes it ill-suited for this purpose. Or something cheap and instant like Path to Exile or Dismember, that can nail Heart in declare blockers without you having to hold up a lot of mana.

That's far stronger than removal has been in a long time, and there have been Standards just fine without this level of murder. Just so happens, they released a card type that turns a top-decked guy into a 4/4 flier that's swinging that turn.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

the martians weren't anywhere near as ineffable in thier biology as the eldrazi tho, this isn't anywhere near as bullshit as the mtg story

I thought the story was about hubris on the martians' part and that nature overcomes technology in the end. If the Eldrazi weren't man-made then yeah it doesn't make sense, but I thought they were? Or was that Phyrexians? In any case, the poster who mentioned Cthulhu getting run over by a boat is right.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Eldrazi are the aliens from beyond time, Phyrexians are the Borg.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Or something cheap and instant like Path to Exile or Dismember, that can nail Heart in declare blockers without you having to hold up a lot of mana.
This might be a dumb question, but how about Plummet? I realize it's very much a silver bullet, but 1G to take down the one vehicle almost every deck runs seems okay.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Siivola posted:

Eldrazi are the aliens from beyond time, Phyrexians are the Borg.

This might be a dumb question, but how about Plummet? I realize it's very much a silver bullet, but 1G to take down the one vehicle almost every deck runs seems okay.

Too narrow.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chill la Chill posted:

If the Eldrazi weren't man-made then yeah it doesn't make sense, but I thought they were? Or was that Phyrexians?

That was the Phyrexians. Nobody made the Eldrazi, they've just sort of always been there.

Chill la Chill posted:

In any case, the poster who mentioned Cthulhu getting run over by a boat is right.

Cthulhu's body regenerates from that wound in literally the same paragraph where the boat hits it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wait, modern cards in standard? What?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

who says that wotc doesn't print strong answers?

evolving wilds' long reign of terror is finally over

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I thought the story was about hubris on the martians' part and that nature overcomes technology in the end. If the Eldrazi weren't man-made then yeah it doesn't make sense, but I thought they were? Or was that Phyrexians? In any case, the poster who mentioned Cthulhu getting run over by a boat is right.

oh i just meant wells went out of his way to say that the biology of the martians was close to ours so the virus thing would work

the eldrazi being hit with a boat would have honestly been a better ending

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Huh. Like the art better than the other ones actually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Haha, I knew it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

Bolas is gonna make the Anti-Jacetice League, and it will be dumb

Sigma-X posted:

The Superfiends

I've been brewing a grixis walkers deck called that :D

The team and I were discussing this over beers last night, it seems like a decent idea, so Wizards will never go for it.

Bolas (head of evil Gatewatch) and then a B/color planeswalker as a counter to each member of the gatewatch
- U/B Tezzeret
- G/B Vraska (we considered Garruk, but he's too busy being a wildcard apex redditor to join a team)
- R/B Tibalt (Wizards please print a R/B Tibalt that isn't the worst card ever made)
- Straight B Bobby Nix (maybe he's cool with working for a team as long as it brings down that darn gatewatch)
- W/B Golden Mask Elspeth, she's a returned, and she's spoopy and evil now (maybe she even pulls the face turn when it looks like the evil team is winning because she remembers her bro ajani)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Now for containment priest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kind of an unnecessary rarity shift but yeah that art is cool.

Also have aven always had human arms or is this to model them more after ancient Egyptian styling?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 30, 2017

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Mezzanon posted:

The team and I were discussing this over beers last night, it seems like a decent idea, so Wizards will never go for it.

Bolas (head of evil Gatewatch) and then a B/color planeswalker as a counter to each member of the gatewatch
- U/B Tezzeret
- G/B Vraska (we considered Garruk, but he's too busy being a wildcard apex redditor to join a team)
- R/B Tibalt (Wizards please print a R/B Tibalt that isn't the worst card ever made)
- Straight B Bobby Nix (maybe he's cool with working for a team as long as it brings down that darn gatewatch)
- W/B Golden Mask Elspeth, she's a returned, and she's spoopy and evil now (maybe she even pulls the face turn when it looks like the evil team is winning because she remembers her bro ajani)

Mono U Ashiok?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Completely unplayable in the current standard but that could always change...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This is the first time in a while they've actually found a home for a future-shifted card, right?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sickening posted:

Too narrow.
Fair enough.

C-Euro posted:

Also have aven always had human arms or is this to model them more after ancient Egyptian styling?
Depends on the set. Tarkir Aven don't, but most others do.

Edit: Oh wait I totally misunderstood what you were asking. Yeah I think having featherless human arms is not common.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Entropic posted:

This is the first time in a while they've actually found a home for a future-shifted card, right?

Oh poo poo yeah you're right, good catch. I can't even remember the last one they did. Nessian Courier maybe?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i wonder how many of the other amonkhet masterpieces are actually standard reprints

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

i wonder how many of the other amonkhet masterpieces are actually standard reprints

What if they all are. :tinfoil:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Now for containment priest.

Not a chance of that happening. Too much for modern.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oh man I hope they actually bite the bullet and bring back Force :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Would it be?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

So what are we fetching that this hates on

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Containment Priest is a very hardcore motherfucker with very little opportunity cost, and it doesn't do anything to RDW, Death's Shadow, Eldrazi, Jund, or Junk, so it would just reinforce them by giving them (at least the white ones) a really good answer to things like Goryo's Vengeance that isn't totally dead in other match-ups.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What? Explain to me what containment priest is too strong for. Good answers are always on the menu.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What if they all are. :tinfoil:

Suddenly standard become a nightmare of control decks, prison decks and mind twists for 4 at turn 3

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Soul Glo posted:

So what are we fetching that this hates on

It's surely an answer to the oppressive Planar Bridge deck FFL was convinced would otherwise dominate the metagame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Glorybringer is going be amazing in standard.

• Locked thread