Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is it my imagination or is a fighter archer really limited for good things to do with his bonus action? As is I'm planning for him to dip into Warlock just because Hex (and Hexblade Curse if DM clears UA) just so he doesn't sink 5+ levels of no bonus action.

I know there's Crossbow Expert, but jesus I hate that feat. So much raw power plus a flavor straightjacket, it feels like everything it shouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Business Gorillas posted:

So what are some good sources if I wanna read up on just general info on the settings and denizens of icewind Dale?

I'm playing a ranger nomad in my current campaign and we're starting storm king, so I figure I might as well be an expert

Crystal Shard, by teen-favorite author R. A. Salvatore.

For tone and feel, the poems of Robert W. Service.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is it my imagination or is a fighter archer really limited for good things to do with his bonus action? As is I'm planning for him to dip into Warlock just because Hex (and Hexblade Curse if DM clears UA) just so he doesn't sink 5+ levels of no bonus action.

I know there's Crossbow Expert, but jesus I hate that feat. So much raw power plus a flavor straightjacket, it feels like everything it shouldn't be.

The Arcane Archer and the Sharpshooter UA archetypes have a few more options, but otherwise you are correct.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Business Gorillas posted:

So what are some good sources if I wanna read up on just general info on the settings and denizens of icewind Dale?

I'm playing a ranger nomad in my current campaign and we're starting storm king, so I figure I might as well be an expert

It's really cold. Goblins, orcs and all the rest of the shitters periodically boil out of their caves and fortresses to go smash and eat people. There are native human tribes but they've mostly been wiped out by various things, so most humans are immigrants/colonists/etc from the south. Auril, Talos and Umberlee are reasonably popular because the weather and landscape can very easily kill you even without the gods being mad at you, so even boring nerds should give some appeasement to the chaotic evil wrecking crew.

Just guessing, but I assume the Zhents or Red Wizards have tried some stupid scheme to take over the Dale but were thwarted by Drizzt.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Not to toot the house rules I use too much, but if your DM is actually looking for interesting things to do w/ parries, fighting defensively, etc there's a bunch that we have. Fighting defensively sacrifices all attacks and increases your AC by an amount that differs per class (so warriors get the biggest bonus by far, this would usually get used vs a bunch of enemies like goblins) , or warriors can sacrifice one of their attacks to take a parry for themselves or someone they're adjacent to (and it's a contested roll with some modifiers, so its far easier for warriors to do), or you can sacrifice your action to try to dodge an attack (i.e. against a giant usually).

But if your DM can't see why his ruleset just makes it vastly harder for melee martials and vastly easier for everyone else, he's blind. Out of curiosity, does he allow parries of sneak attacks? If he's going to insist on this just be a warlock spamming away because what he's doing is ridiculous

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

2 levels of Rogue to disengage freely with Cunning Action

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mango sentinel posted:

2 levels of Rogue to disengage freely with Cunning Action

Or just play Rogue. If you don't 'abuse' Crossbow Expert, Rogues have about the same damage output as an archer Fighter, so what's even the point of doing a no-utility martial?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Conspiratiorist posted:

Or just play Rogue. If you don't 'abuse' Crossbow Expert, Rogues have about the same damage output as an archer Fighter, so what's even the point of doing a no-utility martial?

5 levels of fighter is pretty good. You get archery style, all armor proficiencies, second wind, action surge, extra attack, 5 levels of fighter HP, and Goad, Maneuver, and Trip maneuvers. No real advantage going beyond that but it's a compelling start.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why would Tiamat bother with spells when she could just step on the bard.

It's not like I showed up alone. :rolleyes:

True, I was making a nuisance of myself with Counterspell and some buffing and healing, but taking the time to track me down would mean ignoring the Fighter/Cleric, Rogue, and Druid who were doing the real damage every turn. Tiamat has a lot of actions every turn but they aren't infinite. Given how many attacks she gets every turn anyway, why not try and cast a spell that'll gently caress the party up if it goes through?

Except that pesky Bard is in back keeping it from happening. :tipshat:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The parry thing is a good idea in theory, IMO, it just needs to favor martial classes instead of making life harder for them. Make it a class feature of said classes instead of a universal thing that all creatures can do, so that the only enemies parrying your attacks are also martial classes.

Personally I like the idea of just disbanding the Battlemaster spec and giving martial classes so many maneuvers per level plus the "action points" required to use them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lifg posted:

It's a dumb rule, but if parrying is a *reaction*, then it might not be too imbalanced, just slightly.

Anyone who parries doesn't get another reaction. They can can't make an attack of opportunity, and can't cast counterspell.

I think a lot of the balance would depend on what the parrying character is rolling with and against. If it's a strength roll, and they lose their reaction just to make the roll, it could work.

On the other hand, it's still dumb because it's giving someone two opportunities to not get hit, AC and Parry Saving Throw, and there's just else nothing in the game like that. Maybe if shield only gave a parry opportunity and not an AC boost.
Battlemaster maneuvers require you to hit vs AC and have your opponent to fail a saving throw. This bumps it up to THREE chances to fail!

Deified Data posted:

The parry thing is a good idea in theory, IMO, it just needs to favor martial classes instead of making life harder for them. Make it a class feature of said classes instead of a universal thing that all creatures can do, so that the only enemies parrying your attacks are also martial classes.
I honestly thought this was what was going on until I realised that not only the other PCs but also the monsters got this ability, at which point I started laughing.

Deified Data posted:

Personally I like the idea of just disbanding the Battlemaster spec and giving martial classes so many maneuvers per level plus the "action points" required to use them.
Let me tell you about Dungeons and Dragons fourth edition.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Splicer posted:

Battlemaster maneuvers require you to hit vs AC and have your opponent to fail a saving throw. This bumps it up to THREE chances to fail!

Maneuvers work fine. You choose to use them after you hit, and they still deal extra damage even if the enemy passes their save.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Looks like my game is going in the direction of the party starting up a castle and recruiting NPCs they have recruited throughout the game, a la Suikoden. Are there good resources for this type of campaign in 5e?

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Tir McDohl posted:

Looks like my game is going in the direction of the party starting up a castle and recruiting NPCs they have recruited throughout the game, a la Suikoden. Are there good resources for this type of campaign in 5e?

Not 5e, but Pathfinder's Ultimate Campaign has extensive rules for running organisations, constructing buildings and running kingdoms.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The guy who made the Communist Paladin homebrew supposedly has really popular rules for strongholds, but I haven't looked at them.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Tir McDohl posted:

The resources you want for this type of campaign are in the Mentzer Expert and Companion sets. Mostly Companion. The section on hosting and competing in tournaments is kinda hot garbage, but the rest is quite good and should translate to 5e fairly easily.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
There was a 3e book on organizations/churches/governments, but I dont remember what it was called.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Power of Faerun is one of them.

The 3e Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is another.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Thanks for the advice everyone. Got some work to do this weekend!

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I guess it also should be noted that if you want to get serious about a Dominion-centric campaign, you owe it to yourself to read up on the Birthright Campaign Setting for 2e. Even if you don't use the world, there's tons of great ideas and systems worth plundering. The wiki at Birthright.net is pretty complete and has rule conversions for later editions.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Anyone have tips for drawing a hexgrid(ish) onto the surface of a globe? I'm doing some Mario Galaxy altered-gravity poo poo next week.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's the status as far as timeline and such goes? The SCAG offers up a few potential deities for an Arcana Cleric but both of them seem to be dead. Are we in a time before that or am I just metal enough to worship a dead god?

5e (remember, ALL of 5e takes place in the Forgotten Realms) had some event called THE SUNDERING or something like that, and literally all it did was retcon away 4e.

I'm pretty sure they never actually explained how it happened, either.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

5e (remember, ALL of 5e takes place in the Forgotten Realms) had some event called THE SUNDERING or something like that, and literally all it did was retcon away 4e.

4e FR was poorly received and started with an event that blew up all the poo poo that they didn't want to convert to 4e, so i can't get too mad about it tbh

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

DoctorWhat posted:

Anyone have tips for drawing a hexgrid(ish) onto the surface of a globe? I'm doing some Mario Galaxy altered-gravity poo poo next week.

Oh hell yes. The problem with spheres and hexes is that you can't actually wrap the entire sphere in perfect hexes. You actually treat the sphere like an inflated icosahedron with bulgy sides. Look at a d20 and note that every point has five lines coming off it. Mark off points like that on your globe, then pencil in lines coming off of those. Those twelve points are going to wind up being pentagons. Now, start subdividing each triangle formed by the connection between those points by drawing a smaller triangle in it (like the Triforce from Zelda). Keep doing that until you're happy with the density. When you're done with that, each point of intersection is going to be a hex, so start drawing.

If you want to unwrap this into a 2D grid, I recommend slicing it along the seams at the top and bottom. You can stretch it like a Mercator projection but it's not pretty or useful. This is long and tedious but very worth it if you want a solid tactical map!

(I may have done this for a homebrew wargame in college)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

blastron posted:

Oh hell yes. The problem with spheres and hexes is that you can't actually wrap the entire sphere in perfect hexes. You actually treat the sphere like an inflated icosahedron with bulgy sides. Look at a d20 and note that every point has five lines coming off it. Mark off points like that on your globe, then pencil in lines coming off of those. Those twelve points are going to wind up being pentagons. Now, start subdividing each triangle formed by the connection between those points by drawing a smaller triangle in it (like the Triforce from Zelda). Keep doing that until you're happy with the density. When you're done with that, each point of intersection is going to be a hex, so start drawing.

If you want to unwrap this into a 2D grid, I recommend slicing it along the seams at the top and bottom. You can stretch it like a Mercator projection but it's not pretty or useful. This is long and tedious but very worth it if you want a solid tactical map!

(I may have done this for a homebrew wargame in college)

Mucho gracias.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
As seen in Traveller in particular

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

DoctorWhat posted:

Draw the map onto a soccer ball :v:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Okay. My understanding is Mystra in 5e canon has actually died a few times but is currently doing fine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay. My understanding is Mystra in 5e canon has actually died a few times but is currently doing fine.

We are on Mystra 3, who has already died once during 4e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is correct. Thought o be correct this is the third Mystra. She used to be a human called Midnight who succeeded the previous Mystra after she was killed by Helm. Midnight Mystra herself was killed at the start of 4e, but like pretty much all other gods brought back for 5e.

On the other magic god. Azuth god of Wizards was eaten by Asmodeus to power him up to the level of a greater god. In canon (Books and stuff) side effects eventully started happenning as a result of the Sundering that would result with both him and Azuth being destroyed unless he released him. He did so while still keeping a good deal of divine power he had taken so he could remain a god. (Though not as powerful as he once was.)

Other gods that came back from the dead are Helm, Tyr, Myrkul (though now as the god of death as Kelemvor is keeping being god of the dead.) Bhaal, Mask and a few others I can't remember the fates of.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 31, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cease to Hope posted:

4e FR was poorly received and started with an event that blew up all the poo poo that they didn't want to convert to 4e, so i can't get too mad about it tbh
The point of the spellplague* was to introduce some "here be dragons" sections to FR that didn't come with a detailed guidebook of the dragon's names, favourite foods, and feuding factions of their local Lair Owner's Association. 4E was very much about being a mover and shaker and enacting huge change in the world by punching things that need punching. Unfortunately FR is for people who like playing amateur historian with fantasy HOAs, so it wasn't really a good fit for this ethos :shrug:

All the filthy casuals I play with thought that "Giant crack in the world full of magical mutants" was excellent adventure fodder.

*also to get the new core races into the setting

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

fantasy HOAs

I am totally stealing this idea. How much poo poo will the party be willing to put up with from Three Olives?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do people think Oath of Treachery would be fine for a neutral rather than evil? Oathbreaker's specifically evil but I feel like Treachery could work fine for someone who ran up into the limits of their oath or made some Arthas-at-Stratholme type call that nobody else had the will to see through. I'd really like to tie it in to Soldier's background choices about an obliterated battalion and making a terrible choice that you want to keep secret.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

The point of the spellplague* was to introduce some "here be dragons" sections to FR that didn't come with a detailed guidebook of the dragon's names, favourite foods, and feuding factions of their local Lair Owner's Association. 4E was very much about being a mover and shaker and enacting huge change in the world by punching things that need punching. Unfortunately FR is for people who like playing amateur historian with fantasy HOAs, so it wasn't really a good fit for this ethos :shrug:

All the filthy casuals I play with thought that "Giant crack in the world full of magical mutants" was excellent adventure fodder.

Right, because it's not like there weren't specifically signposted "here be dragons" (even using that exact wording!) parts of the Forgotten Realms since the very first campaign setting book in 1987. And plenty of undetailed places for DMs and groups to fill out as they saw fit. And adventuring groups in the Forgotten Realms have always been movers and shakers as shown repeatedly over the same time period. 4e just threw all that out for mostly boring retreads that ignored the actual details and effort that had gone into making the Realms such a good place to play in for twenty years until then.

God, how can you be so wrong? Is it pure ignorance? Is it just wilful lying through your teeth about the game and the setting in general? In either case, you're completely wrong and you should shut the gently caress up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

xiw posted:

As seen in Traveller in particular

That is really, really cool.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Splicer posted:

i'm not especially fond of any incarnation of FR, so bear that in mind with any comment i make on it

you're right. 4e FR was a conscious decision to make a setting more suited to being played around in than to being read as travelogues in setting books. i don't think it ever had a chance to be anything but hated by the existing FR audience, though. not only were they accustomed to travelogues than campaign tools, any of them that were interested in game tools were the people who'd spent hundreds of dollars on 3e FR books (or pirated tons of PDFs, which amounts to much the same emotional ownership) because they were the "power" splats, and thus already predisposed to indifference or hate towards 4e. you had these two anchors dragging any old FR fans down, while, for new fans, there's nothing especially interesting or good about FR. it's just Generic Fantasy World.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cease to Hope posted:

i'm not especially fond of any incarnation of FR, so bear that in mind with any comment i make on it

you're right. 4e FR was a conscious decision to make a setting more suited to being played around in than to being read as travelogues in setting books. i don't think it ever had a chance to be anything but hated by the existing FR audience, though. not only were they accustomed to travelogues than campaign tools, any of them that were interested in game tools were the people who'd spent hundreds of dollars on 3e FR books (or pirated tons of PDFs, which amounts to much the same emotional ownership) because they were the "power" splats, and thus already predisposed to indifference or hate towards 4e. you had these two anchors dragging any old FR fans down, while, for new fans, there's nothing especially interesting or good about FR. it's just Generic Fantasy World.
There was basically no good way to do FR for 4E since the FR embodies everything 4E was trying to get away from. I wish 4E could have just focused on PoL, Eberron, and Dark Sun, maybe brought back Greyhawk, but 3.X had done such a good job of D&D = FR that just ignoring it was never really an option. No real way to win there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't 3e a Greyhawk-centric edition though? Or at least at first.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
greyhawk was the default setting but got next to zero detail outside of some of the pre-made dungeons. the FR line was huge, prolific, and the only Official WotC Setting Line before 3.5e and eberron. plus, like i said before, FR books had a rep for being higher-tuned player options in books. FRCS, MOF, and F&P - three of the earliest 3e FR books - definitely were. they gave us the incantatrix, some of the early broken stacking spell power feats, divine might, the first full-caster PRCs, the mystra/antimagic shenanigans, and probably a bunch of other crap that i'm forgetting because it was fifteen years ago

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone ever really use all those super-specific class substitutions or prestige classes? Like, there's a Darksong Knight substitution class where you can get "yochlols" as a Favored Enemy, and the ability specifically goes out of its way to say that this only ever applies to yochlols, and not to any other kind of demon.

Fake Edit: I also realize at this point that the Purple Dragon Knight archetype for 5e Fighters isn't a "really poor man's Warlord", but rather a heavily inspired by the Purple Dragon Knight PrC from 3e's Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting:

Rallying Cry = Rallying Cry, Inspiring Surge = Inspire Courage, Bulwark = Final Stand

Except the 5e version doesn't even the Fear and Oath of Wrath abilities.