Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can we get five DEs and combine them into one great QB?

Or perhaps a Taco cook from Mexico? Watch some Yourube vids, dudes got skills.

https://youtu.be/cwuPzOEauc0

At 1:50: "Fast twitch, great wrist and hands, excellent Taco character, eye coordination off the charts, comes from good lineage, could use some definition but results speak for themselves."

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Do it. Do it.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/847507515227099137

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

Do it. Do it.
And they already held a hush hush visit with Watson according to Costello. I've read comparisons to the Clausen situation where you just say gently caress it and light a 2nd rounder (Hack) on fire because it's beyond hopeless.

Excited to renew my tickets!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I've read comparisons to the Clausen situation where you just say gently caress it and light a 2nd rounder (Hack) on fire because it's beyond hopeless.

This honestly seems like the right thing to do, although it would probably be the right thing to do already with Josh McCown on board. The roster spot for a special teams guy is probably more valuable.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
video of a guy explaining why Jabrill Peppers is actually good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW4HK4HXEi0

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

PFF has fallen far enough that I think it's worth mentioning Daltos doesn't like him that much. The trust level between the sources is about the same for me, and this isn't meant to be a compliment to our resident draft guy.

It's worth mentioning that I'm wrong all the time about DEs. Here's my criteria though:

1. Has pass rushing moves
2. Can man a gap without getting moved too hard
3. Has a lot of TFLs

Poor production is whatever most of the time too. In college you can get freaking quad teamed by the o-line on designed boot legs and outside runs. That's when they don't even run on your side too. You'll also get the poo poo cut blocked out of you on the regular just through inexperienced linemen and crazy FBs.

The first two matter the most to me as it shows balance and coordination. Anyone can be strong in the gym against weights that only move in one plane. You have to be able to consistently show that you can use all that strength and agility to do your assignment.

Garrett has the first and the third criteria down. He's got a phenomenal shoulder dip because he's just so drat strong and can maintain great leverage making a 90 degree cut. He also produces a lot even though he takes a lot of plays off, which shows an athletic dominance. Second one is a bit eh as I saw him getting swallowed up by defenders a lot this year. He also can pretty easily get shoved off course on his pass rushing moves which means they're not that refined either. I think he's a perfectly fine prospect and is a sure fire top 25 pick, but his size and speed isn't an absurd rarity and wouldn't even be getting talked about as the #1 pick if this was a better QB year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ragle posted:

Peppers has a fantastic first step and change of direction. His biggest problem this year is that there's two massive safeties that are better tacklers than him in this draft and both are probably going to get picked first by teams looking for strong side help. If he goes to a team that views him as FS then they're essentially forcing him into a one note deep coverage guy. He could honestly play corner, I think.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

ragle posted:

Kollman made a video about why Houston had themselves a monster in Ryan Mallett so I've kinda fallen off caring about his stuff

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

TheFlyingLlama posted:

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's the next julius peppers or anything, but freak athletes with any pass rushing moves outside of speed rushes at the collegiate level are rare enough

Yeah, that's some nitpicky critique-ing

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 30, 2017

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It still blows my mind how much Julius Peppers produced with such disregard to technique.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I get that having this be the straw that breaks the camel's back on a team that employs adam jones might be kind of rich but man. gently caress this dude. I can't root for a team with Joe Mixon on it

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Intruder posted:

Kollman made a video about why Houston had themselves a monster in Ryan Mallett so I've kinda fallen off caring about his stuff

He did a video on Hackenberg that was so filled with bullshit excuse making and praise for what little he did well that it's become a meme on the jets sbnation site. "Here's Hackenberg making an audible (god he's so smart), temple then adjusts the defense to a perfect counter of his audible and sacks him, thus proving the genius of my favorite qb for this draft."

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Bigass Moth posted:

How good is Myles Garrett in relation to other super hyped pass rushers based entirely on college production and combine stats? I am looking for more than "he good" or even the vaulted "he real good".

I think I plugged him last year, but I really enjoy Stephen White's draft breakdowns on SBNation: http://www.sbnation.com/authors/stephen-white

Stephen White is a retired DE who played for the Bucs and Jets who focuses on talking about D-Linemen, O-Linemen and Receivers. He sticks to those positions as he feels he can give decent evaluations even without coaches tape.

The first breakdown he did this year was for Garrett: http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/3/14745070/myles-garrett-scouting-report-2017-nfl-draft-breakdown-film-review

To summarize he thinks Garrett will be good, but he has some questions about Garrett's effort and Garrett's film is lacking in "wow" plays, the kind of plays he saw when looking at Clowney or Aaron Donald or Leonard Williams in previous years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It still blows my mind how much Julius Peppers produced with such disregard to technique.

Or give a poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

He did a video on Hackenberg that was so filled with bullshit excuse making and praise for what little he did well that it's become a meme on the jets sbnation site. "Here's Hackenberg making an audible (god he's so smart), temple then adjusts the defense to a perfect counter of his audible and sacks him, thus proving the genius of my favorite qb for this draft."

Oh yeah I completely forgot about his verbal fellatio of Hackenberg lol

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/ChatSports/status/847520302770774016

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

There is a strong safety from Arkansas State named Money Hunter. New top three names:

1. Weston Steelhammer
2. Money Hunter
3. Corn Elder

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Shangri-Law School posted:

There is a strong safety from Arkansas State named Money Hunter. New top three names:

1. Weston Steelhammer
2. Money Hunter
3. Corn Elder

It seems like forever ago that Jake Butt was seen as the unbeatable king of the name competition.

Edit: Money Hunter absolutely going to the Saints

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The more I think about Marlon Humphrey the more sure I am he's going to bust and create a bullshit Alabama Cornerback narrative like Trent Richardson did for runningbacks.

Better secondary players on the team last year: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Eddie Jackson, Anthony Averett, just off the top of my head. Dude was only even the top corner after Minkah got switched to free safety to cover for Eddie's injury, and for a long part of that stretch Averett played better. Humphrey loving blows coverages and gets burnt all the time and people only like him because his measurables are better than the others.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sounds like Kevin King might be moving up draft boards, Seahawks blogs less sure he'll be there at 26. If he's there it sounds like the Hawks take him.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Raku posted:

The more I think about Marlon Humphrey the more sure I am he's going to bust and create a bullshit Alabama Cornerback narrative like Trent Richardson did for runningbacks.

Better secondary players on the team last year: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Eddie Jackson, Anthony Averett, just off the top of my head. Dude was only even the top corner after Minkah got switched to free safety to cover for Eddie's injury, and for a long part of that stretch Averett played better. Humphrey loving blows coverages and gets burnt all the time and people only like him because his measurables are better than the others.

I honestly think he's David Amerson reincarnated. All the tools in the world, looks like he's playing football for the first time on half the plays and against competent receivers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

shirts and skins posted:

Sounds like Kevin King might be moving up draft boards, Seahawks blogs less sure he'll be there at 26. If he's there it sounds like the Hawks take him.

Tested through the roof at the combine.

Raku posted:

Humphrey is an occupier more than a do-er. Like he'll cut off angles against a RB but he won't make the tackle, same with QB containment or WR bubble screens. He won't get the big INT but he'll stick to most downfield threats. Even then he won't really make the big tackle out in open space without someone helping, and he doesn't have the best jump ball skills for someone so big. I'm not going to say Clemson targeted him in the bowl game but they definitely took advantage of him running pick plays in the endzone.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Doltos posted:

Tested through the roof at the combine.

Speaking of, Mike Lombardi (so take it with a pound of salt) on a podcast pointed out that he thinks combine warriors are less of a thing now then 5-10 years ago because prospects would juice like crazy in those regiment programs that those guys would go to, whereas now, they're taking untestable stuff, so it's not an issue.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
lol yeah the Alabama narrative is already there never draft a secondary player fromBama

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
King is one I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers took, he fits TT's preference for tall, fast corners. Him or Quincy Wilson are the two I'd be cool with if we went CB first round.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

lol yeah the Alabama narrative is already there never draft a secondary player fromBama

Huh, this seems surprising. In the history of every Bama DB ever drafted they have made a total of 6 pro bowls and gotten one first team all pro nod. The good news is that AP nod was Landon Collins this year.

Not what I would have expected from a long time football factory.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Shangri-Law School posted:

1. Weston Steelhammer
2. Money Hunter
3. Corn Elder

If they ever get up to a Monster Manual 7, these are all names that will be pulled out of it.

"Leering ruefully over the garden hedge is a beast with green skin and wild tassels atop its narrowing head. It menaces with rows of yellow niblets. Greg, what does your rogue do?"

I'm not a rogue, I'm a money hunter. It's a totally different class. Anyway, I stealth up to it and sneak attack."

"Okay, roll stealth."

"Aaaand 19." :smug:

"It hears you."

"What, gently caress you how does it notice me with a 19?"

"It's a giant ear." :haw:

"Oh loving hell, come on."

"The Corn Elder summons corn and advances. Who's next?"

:byodood: "WESSSSSSTOONNN SSSTEEEELHAMMMMERRRRR!"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

If they ever get up to a Monster Manual 7, these are all names that will be pulled out of it.

"Leering ruefully over the garden hedge is a beast with green skin and wild tassels atop its narrowing head. It menaces with rows of yellow niblets. Greg, what does your rogue do?"

I'm not a rogue, I'm a money hunter. It's a totally different class. Anyway, I stealth up to it and sneak attack."

"Okay, roll stealth."

"It hears you."

hehe

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Speaking of, Mike Lombardi (so take it with a pound of salt) on a podcast pointed out that he thinks combine warriors are less of a thing now then 5-10 years ago because prospects would juice like crazy in those regiment programs that those guys would go to, whereas now, they're taking untestable stuff, so it's not an issue.

Also the talent level, even relative to five years ago, has improved. Training and nutrition are moving at light speed in top tier college programs. Over the last few years, mobility and flexibility have become huge issues of concern.

Even 20 and 21 year old kids (not Kelvin Benjamin) are taking better care of their bodies than they ever did.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Dane Brugler's annual draft guide is out. Good for full scouting reports on all the unknown 4-7th rounders you've never heard of.

http://myfootballnews.com/product/2017-Guide

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Abugadu posted:

King is one I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers took, he fits TT's preference for tall, fast corners. Him or Quincy Wilson are the two I'd be cool with if we went CB first round.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Seahawks don't take him if available at 26, although I suppose I gave up trying to understand their draft strategy years ago. Seems like the prototypical Seattle style corner, there's a strong need at RCB, and although all this talk about trading Sherman this season seems like bunk it's a pretty clear sign that the team doesn't see him as indispensable (since let's be honest, their only indispensably players are Wilson, Russell and Thomas, Earl).

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Can someone make a list of players who absolutely won't be available at #8 but would be available at #2?

It's got to be just Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Jonathan Allen and now maybe Solomon Thomas. Everyone else could fall, and the players at #8 will still be great and big positions of need. We could get the top corner or RB on our board at #8. Not sure why Carolina would move so far up.

So then it has to be for one of those four guys, and I cannot fathom us giving up so many picks for a safety.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I hope they just stay at eight and take whomever is there between fournette and Howard.

Whatever, fourth first round pick in my life spent on running back.

Just don't trade up to do it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ShakeZula posted:

It seems like forever ago that Jake Butt was seen as the unbeatable king of the name competition.

Edit: Money Hunter absolutely going to the Saints

Gregg Williams coaches for the Browns now so Money Hunter is a sure thing in Cleveland.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I hope the Patriots hurry up and trade Jimmy G so I can read about some late first round defensive tackles and murmur "yeah, yeah" to myself.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

I hope the Patriots hurry up and trade Jimmy G so I can read about some late first round defensive tackles and murmur "yeah, yeah" to myself and then they trade down.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sometimes I wonder if Brady and Bill go "Nah, this poo poo too easy. Make it harder, trade down and give me more scrubs, I don't get off so easy no more I need the hard poo poo to win a Super Bowl and stuff it in to the NFL."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Kareem Jackson turned out pretty good (after an atrocious first couple seasons)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gatts posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Brady and Bill go "Nah, this poo poo too easy. Make it harder, trade down and give me more scrubs, I don't get off so easy no more I need the hard poo poo to win a Super Bowl and stuff it in to the NFL."

They just suck at drafting wide receivers for the most part. Though Malcom Mitchell might actually be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Quiet Feet posted:

"Okay, roll stealth."

"It hears you."

This is good poo poo

• Locked thread